Why Was Stanley Kubrick's Last Film So Hated On?

rip.dilla
rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Eyes_Wide_Shut_4.jpg

I don't get the hate for this film. Its not usually mentioned or ranked amongst his other films and a couple of uptight critics mauled it upon release. LOL.

I've read a bit of history regarding the production ( I think it was over 3 years!) and the man's a genius for re-creating NY in London.

I also read that orgy scene had to be digitally edited because it was way too frontal for mass viewership (Being his last film, the studio of course wanted to milk for its worth).

I watched the film 6 years after it's release one Saturday night (high of course) and was blown away.

So why the hate?

RIP.

Comments

• American.Loo
    American.Loo Members Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    i found the scenes where tom cruise sneaks into the party incredibly well done, creepy and captivating.

very memorable scenes
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    I like the movie...It was misunderstood
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    I'm not sure why it is either because that film is very exceptional. And it effortlessly trumphs any of these new age directors best efforts. But even in saying all of that, it still ranks in the lower tier of Kubrick's work. When u put it up against films like paths of glory, the killing, Barry Lyndon, 2001: a space odessey, and dr strangelove, it doesn't seem as strong. Which is probably where some of the criticism stems from
  • NAWLEDGE_REIGNS
    NAWLEDGE_REIGNS Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    This Man Dropped A Game Changer Just About Everytime He Came Out With A New One....That Being Said...He Cant Do That For Literally EVERY Movie Hes Done...And Although Not At The Top Of His List Eyes Wide Shut Its A Very Thoughtful And Atmospheric Film....A Must IMO
  • TimroD
    TimroD Confirm Email Posts: 1,685 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    saw that film for the first time bout a month ago and i really liked it
    better than 2001 imo
  • NAWLEDGE_REIGNS
    NAWLEDGE_REIGNS Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    TimroD wrote: »
    better than 2001 imo

Everybody is entitled to their opinion but GTFOHWTBS.....2001 Is The GOAT Sci-Fi Flick (? Star Wars) And One The GOAT Movies Period.....
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    A.J. Trillzynski Members Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    LMAO @ Eyes Wide Shut better than 2001. i know it's just your opinion and all but still.. come on!
  • TimroD
    edited January 2011
    i did like 2001 but eyes wide shut was just more entertaining to me
  • rip.dilla
    edited January 2011
    i found the scenes where tom cruise sneaks into the party incredibly well done, creepy and captivating.

very memorable scenes
    Ounceman wrote: »
    I'm not sure why it is either because that film is very exceptional. And it effortlessly trumphs any of these new age directors best efforts. But even in saying all of that, it still ranks in the lower tier of Kubrick's work. When u put it up against films like paths of glory, the killing, Barry Lyndon, 2001: a space odessey, and dr strangelove, it doesn't seem as strong. Which is probably where some of the criticism stems from
    This Man Dropped A Game Changer Just About Everytime He Came Out With A New One....That Being Said...He Cant Do That For Literally EVERY Movie Hes Done...And Although Not At The Top Of His List Eyes Wide Shut Its A Very Thoughtful And Atmospheric Film....A Must IMO

Fully agree with these posts.
  • stoneface
    edited January 2011
    Reminded me of the movie "The Game" a lil bit, similar vibe and atmosphere
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    better than 2001 imo

Wow...this can't be taken seriously.

But you're entitled to your opinion. Even if it's a shock post.
  • Iheart~Cali
    Iheart~Cali Members Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Because he could do and has done soooo much better. Greatness is expected.
  • stoneface
    edited January 2011
    I enjoyed 2001: a Space Odyssey, thought it was dope and way ahead of its time and I know of its mass influence in film, and I know what critics have to say about it and all the accolades, interpretations and props it received, but im wondering, for the peeps who jumped in its defense so quickly, what is it about that film that for you, personally, puts it above every other sci-fi film and so high up in a throne?
  • rip.dilla
    edited January 2011
    Speaking of 2001 (LOL at who said EWS was better?!?), did Spielberg do a good job on AI? Being that was Kubrick's idea/script.

Opinions?
  • rip.dilla
    edited January 2011
    stoneface wrote: »
    I enjoyed 2001: a Space Odyssey, thought it was dope and way ahead of its time and I know of its mass influence in film, and I know what critics have to say about it and all the accolades, interpretations and props it received, but im wondering, for the peeps who jumped in its defense so quickly, what is it about that film that for you, personally, puts it above every other sci-fi film and so high up in a throne?

Being it was made in the '60's, it was WAY ahead of its time and using classical music as a background score was genius as well.

Another film that ranks close sci-fi wise IMO is Spielberg's Minority Report, exceptionally brilliant and the very last great film he's made IMO as well.
  • TimroD
    edited January 2011
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Being it was made in the '60's, it was WAY ahead of its time and using classical music as a background score was genius as well.

Another film that ranks close sci-fi wise IMO is Spielberg's Minority Report, exceptionally brilliant and the very last great film he's made IMO as well.

yea well i didnt see 2001 in the 60s
    i saw it bout two yrs ago and i enjoyed it
    but watchin ews to me is more fun
    2001 can be boring if you dont like very slow movies
  • stoneface
    edited January 2011
    Minority Report was hard
  • antoseeg
    antoseeg Members Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    rip.dilla wrote: »

The Terminal was a good move. Tom Hanks didn't even speak English in that and it was entertaining.
  • real_hh_rep
    real_hh_rep Members Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Actually, it's my favourite Kubrick work. It got great reviews from crtiics. The movie is creepy, intense and highly critical of masonery lifestyle. Visually it's also one of the most beautiful films ever shot.
  • rip.dilla
    edited January 2011
    but watchin ews to me is more fun
    2001 can be boring if you dont like very slow movies

I understand the bolded but 2001's impact though...
    stoneface wrote: »
    Minority Report was hard

Solid filmmaking.
    antoseeg wrote: »
    The Terminal was a good move. Tom Hanks didn't even speak English in that and it was entertaining.

Silly film IMO and Hanks fronting an East European accent mostly in English was the only highlight of that film to me.
    Actually, it's my favourite Kubrick work. It got great reviews from crtiics. The movie is creepy, intense and highly critical of masonery lifestyle. Visually it's also one of the most beautiful films ever shot.

True that.