When Religious Beliefs Go Wrong...Man With Tumor Wont Get Surgery Due To...

Options
TX_Made713
TX_Made713 Members Posts: 3,954 ✭✭
Being a Jehovahs Witness. You know how they are with recieving blood. This dude looks like he has a brain growing on his face. The tumor spreaded to his brain. He refuses doctors due to this belief.....thoughts?

Comments

• alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I think it isn't so much the belief he holds that is killing him. He is doing this to himself and is using his religion as an excuse to do it. Maybe he is thinking he will earn blessings in his refusal and would lose it if he accepts surgery.

There is the misconception in religions that if you do such and such, then you will have such and such. It's like saying in all commonality that if you work hard, educate yourself, and stay healthy and you will be rich. There are people who haven't worked a day in their life, hasn't even graduated high school and is a junkie or something and yet ends up rich. Maybe the issue isn't about what is earned. Maybe it's about what has already been given.
  • TX_Made713
    edited February 2010
    Options
    So your saying people like him are use to be pampered due to their conditions. But what does this have to do with taking the steps to live an average life(or at least as average as he can)? Does he really feel ? will punish him if he recieves blood from a donar or something? thats sad....i mean look at him, its hard not to puke. dude should be more than ready
    alissowack wrote: »
    I think it isn't so much the belief he holds that is killing him. He is doing this to himself and is using his religion as an excuse to do it. Maybe he is thinking he will earn blessings in his refusal and would lose it if he accepts surgery.

There is the misconception in religions that if you do such and such, then you will have such and such. It's like saying in all commonality that if you work hard, educate yourself, and stay healthy and you will be rich. There are people who haven't worked a day in their life, hasn't even graduated high school and is a junkie or something and yet ends up rich. Maybe the issue isn't about what is earned. Maybe it's about what has already been given.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    TX_Made713 wrote: »
    So your saying people like him are use to be pampered due to their conditions. But what does this have to do with taking the steps to live an average life(or at least as average as he can)? Does he really feel ? will punish him if he recieves blood from a donar or something? thats sad....i mean look at him, its hard not to puke. dude should be more than ready

No. I really don't know his circumstances but for him to choose to deal with his condition this way is to say there is something about what he believe that is so valuable to him, that he would give up living the "average" life to have it. It sounds noble, but as you can see it more fatal than anything. This is to say the same thing about those who have seen faith healings fail; there is something people are trying to earn.

There are things worth making sacrifices for, but it shouldn't be because you are expecting a favor in return.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    There is no guarantee that seeing a doctor will make one turn out right. Hospitals ? plenty people.

I know someone who underwent alternative treatment for cancer. No chemo, No knife and they beat it. By the same token, I know someone who underwent treatment and died. They had same affliction and progression.
  • "A Tout le Mond
    "A Tout le Mond Members Posts: 121
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Dude deserves to die then if he is willing to deny medical care.
  • TX_Made713
    edited February 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    There is no guarantee that seeing a doctor will make one turn out right. Hospitals ? plenty people.

I know someone who underwent alternative treatment for cancer. No chemo, No knife and they beat it. By the same token, I know someone who underwent treatment and died. They had same affliction and progression.

True enough, but thats not the issue..so your saying its best to let that tumor sit on his face? hes dying regardless

and as someone said before, how does he know that wont still be there when he dies? in spirit?
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    What I am saying is, let the man make his own decision. Hospitals ? more people than medical decisions based on religious beliefs, and they are the so-called experts.

Physical death settles all so that tumor is irrelevant. My life goes on through my children and the lives I touch.

Me personally, I am going to the doctors and try to get that removed.
  • tri3w
    tri3w Members Posts: 3,142 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    What I am saying is, let the man make his own decision. Hospitals ? more people than medical decisions based on religious beliefs, and they are the so-called experts.

Physical death settles all so that tumor is irrelevant. My life goes on through my children and the lives I touch.

Me personally, I am going to the doctors and try to get that removed.

Na..........Dude nned a Dr...
  • TX_Made713
    edited April 2010
    Options
    uppin for entertainment
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Recently that kid with cancer was taken by his mom to another state because they refused to give him treatment because ? would handle it and the state caught wind and made the the kid have to go through treatment. ? like this happens all the time though its a shame I dont feel bad for em when they end up refusing treatment for treatable diseases and end up dyin. Thats like cuttin ur arm off and bleedin to death because you think ? is gonna come put a new one on you