This just goes to show how ignorant whites really are when it comes to the struggle.

Options
The Lonious Monk
The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
WASHINGTON – Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) said the United States was founded on racial and ethnic diversity and that the founding fathers were responsible for abolishing slavery.

Speaking at an event sponsored by Iowans For Tax Relief, Bachmann hailed the "different cultures, different backgrounds, different traditions" of the early European settlers in America, adding that the "color of their skin" or "language" or "economic status" didn't preclude them from seeking happiness.

"Once you got here, we were all the same," she said. "Isn't that remarkable? It is absolutely remarkable."

The Minnesota Republican called slavery an "evil" and "scourge" and "stain on our history."

"But we also know that the very founders that wrote those documents worked tirelessly until slavery was no more in the United States," Bachmann added, claiming "men like John Quincy Adams... would not rest until slavery was extinguished in the country."

Slavery was an institution in the United States for generations after its founding in 1776, largely due to a compromise between the founders that established African-Americans as three-fifths of a person. Several of the founding fathers themselves held slaves.

One of the framers, Thomas Jefferson, famously fathered children with Sally Hemmings, one of his slaves.

Slavery was not fully abolished until 1865, when the United States ratified the Thirteenth Amendment to the Constitution that expressly forbade it. Though he wasn't one of the founders, John Quincy Adams is credited by historians as having been a strong opponent of slavery.

A tea party hero, Bachmann has earned something of a cult following with her vicious attacks and occasionally conspiratorial claims about the Obama administration. She's also no stranger to factual inaccuracies. Bill Adlair, editor of the Pulitzer Prize-winning PolitiFact, said her claims tend to be false more often than just about any other politician.

Bachmann announced plans to give her own response to President Barack Obama's State of the Union address Tuesday, though Republicans said hers would not be the party's official rebuttal.

This video is Bachmann's speech, uploaded to YouTube

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/01/bachmann-founding-fathers-worked-tirelessly-slavery/

Here we have an elected official pretty much erasing the country's entire history of racism and prejudice. According to her, once the U.S. officially became a country, we all started to get along perfectly. The Founding Fathers saw to it that we were one big happy melting ? . How the hell does any intelligent adult even come up with a speech like this? And how does any adult who obviously lacks said intelligence manage to get elected to a office? ? is crazy. Hell, forget blacks, natives, chinese, and all the other racial groups that have been ? on over the course of this country's history. Someone should tell this idiot that white immigrants were treated like ? too. It was a while before the Irish, Italians, and Eastern Europeans were embraced by thier other white brothers in their stance against all non-whites. For a while, they were seen as being only a step above us.

Comments

• nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/01/bachmann-founding-fathers-worked-tirelessly-slavery/

Here we have an elected official pretty much erasing the country's entire history of racism and prejudice. According to her, once the U.S. officially became a country, we all started to get along perfectly. The Founding Fathers saw to it that we were one big happy melting ? . How the hell does any intelligent adult even come up with a speech like this? And how does any adult who obviously lacks said intelligence manage to get elected to a office? ? is crazy. Hell, forget blacks, natives, chinese, and all the other racial groups that have been ? on over the course of this country's history. Someone should tell this idiot that white immigrants were treated like ? too. It was a while before the Irish, Italians, and Eastern Europeans were embraced by thier other white brothers in their stance against all non-whites. For a while, they were seen as being only a step above us.

Bachmann is just an idiot and sadly some whites are incapable of relating to any struggle especially pertaining to people of color or seeing anything outside there white privledge and/or ignorant/racist world view. Poster FieldTriptotheHood a prime example of this.. the type of cat who swears hes down but behind close doors its another thing.
  • FieldTripsToTheHood
    FieldTripsToTheHood Members Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    As a white person, this disgusts me.
  • Sh0t
    Sh0t Members Posts: 1,162
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Some did, some didn't.

As a politician, she's pretty decent. As a historian, probably not.

Her family is Norwegian so I give her a pass.

Stop getting so upset over everything, it'll raise your blood pressure.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Sh0t wrote: »
    Some did, some didn't.

As a politician, she's pretty decent. As a historian, probably not.

Her family is Norwegian so I give her a pass.

Stop getting so upset over everything, it'll raise your blood pressure.

It's not about getting upset. I'm not sitting here fuming over this. It just amazes me that someone that out of touch with reality is actually a leader in this country. Also, if you think someone who fact checkers have marked as dissemenating more wrong information than any other politician is decent, I question your definition of decency.
  • Sh0t
    edited January 2011
    Options
    How do you judge a politician, especially a legislator? For me, it's their voting record. Her voting record is impressive, from my point of view.

Most congresscritters are out of touch with reality, especially economic reality. She is the one of the few that is rather ? about her free-market stance.
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I'm generally not one to ? about blanket statements about white people on this forum, but I do take offense to any suggestion that Bachmann speaks for me.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited January 2011
    Options
    shootemwon wrote: »
    I'm generally not one to ? about blanket statements about white people on this forum, but I do take offense to any suggestion that Bachmann speaks for me.
    i don't think we should assume Bachmann speaks for anyone except herself and MAYBE some of the voices in her head
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Michelle Bachmann has been an idiot for a long time now, I'm not even surprised at what this ? says anymore.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Well somebody is voting for her..

Smh @ Bachmann and Palin being the Political versions of Gucci Man and Souljah boy
  • b*braze
    b*braze Members Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Well somebody is voting for her..

Smh @ Bachmann and Palin being the Political versions of Gucci Man and Souljah boy

Lol... Good one
  • John Prewett
    John Prewett Members Posts: 755
    edited January 2011
    Options

The Minnesota Republican called slavery an "evil" and "scourge" and "stain on our history."

When we gonna end ONGOING slavery in the Sudan ?
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options

When we gonna end ONGOING slavery in the Sudan ?

When you admit that this women is trying to rewrite history.
  • John Prewett
    edited January 2011
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    When you admit that this women is trying to rewrite history.

Takes some time to stop an ocean liner. Also took some time for W.Civilization to end a practice [slavery] that endured for over 4000 years all over the world.

I'm not familiar enough with this woman's views, nor with the precise work of all the "founding fathers" to argue about what she may be "rewriting."

However, I do know that legal slavery ended quite a while ago, whereas slavery is still a reality in some parts of Africa and Middle East.
  • Jabu_Rule
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Takes some time to stop an ocean liner. Also took some time for W.Civilization to end a practice [slavery] that endured for over 4000 years all over the world.

I'm not familiar enough with this woman's views, nor with the precise work of all the "founding fathers" to argue about what she may be "rewriting."

However, I do know that legal slavery ended quite a while ago, whereas slavery is still a reality in some parts of Africa and Middle East.

So if your not familiar with her views or the history of the founders, then why the ? are you commenting? Your nothing more then an apologist.

I'm sure Bachmann is truly concerned about slavery in The Sudan. I suppose you want America to invade.

Current affairs of the Sudan.

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/27/133241659/north-south-sudans-would-face-high-hurdles

Are you doing anything about the slavery in Thailand John?

http://gvnet.com/humantrafficking/Thailand.htm

Prostitution in Thailand is illegal, although in practice it is tolerated and partly regulated. Prostitution is practiced openly throughout the country [1][2] Local officials with commercial interests in prostitution often protect the practice. Trafficking in women and children for prostitution is a serious problem. The precise number of prostitutes is difficult to assess; estimates vary widely and are subject to national and international controversy.[3] Since the Vietnam War, Thailand has gained international notoriety among travelers from many countries as a sex tourism destination.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Thailand

Hows those sex slaves working for you John? Payed for any ? lately?
  • John Prewett
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Just pointed out that she ""called slavery an "evil" and "scourge" and "stain on our history."" .
    So what's your problem with her ?
    I'm really trying to learn about black culture. MAKES ME WANNA HOLLER by Nathan McCall
    has taught me a lot about black youth culture. Begin quote:
    The fellas and I went running back there with the other dudes to watch. There, in the dark seclusion of the woods, I saw a parked car with the rear doors opened. A woman's leg was propped up on top of the rear seat, and a pair of man's gyrating legs held tightly together with the pants rolled down hung partly out the door. Standing near the car, supervising the lineup, was Scobie D, the dude I'd worshiped at Waters. I could see that flaming red Afro moving around. About twenty to thirty guys milled about, talking trash, smoking cigarettes, passing a wine bottle, and awaiting their turn.

The fellas and I didn't even think about trying to get in on the train. We were scared of Scobe and were half grateful he let us stand back there and watch. We just wanted to see what it was all about.

Once we got the idea, we knew it was something we had to try.

Scobe and his boys trained anybody they could get their hands on. They even trained Pearl, a neighborhood ? who was my parents' age. A glassy eyed, disheveled mess of a woman with no teeth in her mouth, Pearl got wasted all hours of the day and night and staggered through the streets of Cavalier Manor. Scobe and his gang caught her stumbling by one night and trained her in a wooded area behind the 7 Eleven. I heard recently that Pearl died, but I doubt she ever knew she was trained. That's how tore down, sloppy ? she'd get. She had two nice, respectable daughters my age. Every time I saw them in school, I wondered what they'd think if they knew their mother had been jammed by teenage boys.

Different groups of guys set up their own trains. Although everybody knew it could lead to trouble with the law,

I think few guys thought of it as ? . It was viewed as a social thing

among hanging partners, like passing a joint.

The dude who set up the train got pats on the back.

He was considered a real player whose rap game was strong.

I think most girls gave in when trains were sprung on them because they went into shock. They were so utterly unprepared for anything that wild that it freaked them out. By the time they realized that they'd been set up, they were stripped naked, lying on a bed or in the backseat of a car, with a crowd of crazed looking dudes hovering overhead. I always wondered what went on inside girls' heads when that was happening to them.

Afterward, most girls were too ashamed and freaked out to tell. They knew that if they snitched to the cops,

the thing would become public news and their name would be mud.

But every now and then, some chick squealed, and somebody caught a charge. Then guys got their buddies to go to court and testify that the girl was a footloose '? whom they each had ? .

Most girls seemed to lose something vital inside after they'd been trained. Their self esteem dropped and they didn't care about themselves anymore. That happened to a girl named Shirley, who was once trained by Scobe and so many other guys that she was hospitalized. After that, I guess she figured nobody wanted her as a straight up girl. So Shirley let guys run trains on her all the time.
    It was the first day of summer vacation. I was fourteen years old and had just completed the eighth grade, marking the end of my junior high school days. I was sitting at home, watching TV, when the telephone rang. "Hello," I said.
    "Yo, Nate, this is Lep!" "Yo Lep, what's up?" "We got one. She phat as a ? ! Got nice ? , too! We at Turkey Buzzard's crib. You better come on over and get in on it!"
    "'See you in a heartbeat."
    When I got to Turkey Buzzard's place a few blocks away, ? , Frog Dickie, Shane, Lep, Cooder, almost the whole crew about twelves guys in all were already there, grinning and joking like they had stolen something. Actually, they had stolen something:
    They were holding a girl captive in one of the back bedrooms.

Turkey Buzzard's parents were away at work. I learned that the girl was Vanessa, a black beauty whose family had recently moved into our neighborhood, less than two blocks from where I lived. She seemed like a nice girl. When I first noticed her walking to and from school, I had wanted to check her out. Now it was too late. She was about to have a train run on her. No way she could be somebody's straight up girl after going through a train.

Vanessa was thirteen years old and very naive.

She thought she had gone to Turkey Buzzard's crib just to talk with somebody she had a crush on. A bunch of the fellas hid in closets and under beds. When she stepped inside and sat down, they sprang from their hiding places and blocked the door so that she couldn't leave. When I got there, two or three dudes were in the back room, trying to persuade her to give it up. The others were pacing about in the living room, joking and arguing about the lineup, about who would go first. ...... end quote
  • John Prewett
    edited January 2011
    Options
    As for the prostitution YOU brought up, I live in rural Thailand. I'm sure there are more ? and pimps and thugs in your neighborhood than in mine.
  • Sh0t
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Palin and Bachmann would be more like underground rappers with unpopular song topics. Both would be subpar lyricists.

Gucci and Soulja Boy would be easy to digest politicians like Obama, Mccain, etc

If her comments on slavery bother you, I don't understand how you can even listen to politicians like Obama and the whole establishment that spout such economic nonsense it's hard to watch them. Obama has terrible interpretations of history as well, especially when he talks about prior Depressions and what caused them/cured them. Same with Bush previously. Obama(and his predecessor) are trying their best to put in place or amplify policies that caused our current economic woes and those of previous eras. That hurts my ears far worse than anything Bachmann has ever said.
  • Jabu_Rule
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Just pointed out that she ""called slavery an "evil" and "scourge" and "stain on our history."" .
    So what's your problem with her ?

Yes i have. It was fun. It was with willing participant who loved sex. She also came back a few times with nothing luring her but the sex. But you seem to be intent on dismissing one persons problems by illuminating another persons\peoples problems. Two wrongs don't make a right john. Black people have no problems talking about and admitting their faults as evident by the book that your constantly quoting. Why are you defending her faults? Here's the issue here john. She's an elected official misleading the public. Is that not a problem enough?

Are you telling me white guys who practice ? and marry multiple wives are absolved of all issues? None of that was the issue at hand though but i see that you like to read up specifically on black culture and illuminate the negatives. Your really obsessed with us aren't john? I think there is something deep behind this. You bought up slavery in another region and now you're but hurt because i exposed your boy love. You are one sick puppy.
  • Jabu_Rule
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Sh0t wrote: »
    Palin and Bachmann would be more like underground rappers with unpopular song topics. Both would be subpar lyricists.

Gucci and Soulja Boy would be easy to digest politicians like Obama, Mccain, etc

If her comments on slavery bother you, I don't understand how you can even listen to politicians like Obama and the whole establishment that spout such economic nonsense it's hard to watch them. Obama has terrible interpretations of history as well, especially when he talks about prior Depressions and what caused them/cured them. Same with Bush previously. Obama(and his predecessor) are trying their best to put in place or amplify policies that caused our current economic woes and those of previous eras. That hurts my ears far worse than anything Bachmann has ever said.

Bra man. I'm done with you and your support of people who want to rewrite our history. Your a white man in a black body. Peace out with that ? .
  • Jabu_Rule
    edited January 2011
    Options
    As for the prostitution YOU brought up, I live in rural Thailand. I'm sure there are more ? and pimps and thugs in your neighborhood than in mine.

Actually i don't know any nor do i see any outside of 42nd street. I also don't any girls that were kidnapped and forced to be sex slaves. Some girls told me they thought about doing it for the money. But I'm sure your stereotypical mind would think that to be the case. You may live in Rural Thailand but slavery exist in Thailand non the less. You would ignore the white pimps in porn and the white pimps in Vegas and all the ? that goes down in your sacred community though wouldn't you. But non of that was the issue here. You seem intent on deriding our culture. I haven't heard one positive thing from you yet.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Smh @ and ? goin so far left...(non political) think they got ? all figured out.. and deserve to be patted on tha back.. for there "different" views.. FOH..
  • Sh0t
    edited January 2011
    Options
    McCain is dumb as a brick. So is Palin. But ideologically, they are on slightly different sides, Palin's is slighty better.

Obama is about average, so is Bachmann, but they are on radically different sides ideologically, with Bachmann being much better(financially at least).

Between the three congressman above(former in Obama's case), Bachmann has the better voting record by far. Especially with regards to the US's financial situation. Far from perfect, not in the same league as a Ron Paul.
    Your a white man in a black body.
    I'm a libertarian in a black body. Most whites have bad politics, including the 3.5 mentioned above.
  • John Prewett
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Why are you defending her faults? Here's the issue here john.
    She's an elected official misleading the public. Is that not a problem enough? ................

She ""called slavery an "evil" and "scourge" and "stain on our history."" ,......

If the founding fathers had fiat declared slavery illegal in 1776,
    then independence from Britain could not have come about in 1776.

Nor would legal slavery have ended due to a 1776 fiat declaration.
    We can only speculate at when independence might have come about later.

Before whites could even begin serious debate regarding freeing black slaves,
    whites had to free themself from their old world masters.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator
    with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

It took took much debate,

[ which in hindsight seems terrible to ignoramuses who judge people of other eras by their modern sensibilities]

but the founding fathers planted seed that grew into ending legal slavery.

After the dust settled, slaves, became legally fully equal citizens of the USA.
    After the dust settled, slaves were acknowledged to be men and women - fully human.

Some appreciation should be rendered to those contended
    " all men are created equal, ... endowed by CREATOR with ... Rights"
    back when that was a highly debated novel notion.

And appreciation to Christ who had no involuntary temporal slaves
    and who taught "love one another" [without regard to color]
    and whose "good Samaritan" story helped greatly to create whatever racial harmony we do have.

You can't build the roof till after you finish the foundation.
    Now if we could just end slavery to the pursuit of the almighty dollar.
  • John Prewett
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Actually i don't know any nor do i see any outside of 42nd street. I also don't any girls that were kidnapped and forced to be sex slaves. Some girls told me they thought about doing it for the money. But I'm sure your stereotypical mind would think that to be the case. You may live in Rural Thailand but slavery exist in Thailand non the less. You would ignore the white pimps in porn and the white pimps in Vegas and all the ? that goes down in your sacred community though wouldn't you. But non of that was the issue here. You seem intent on deriding our culture. I haven't heard one positive thing from you yet.

You started with the sladerous insinuations. I can take it and I can dish it out.

I have no problem acknowledging wickedness among whites.

However, when someone slams whites [or Americans] as if they have the francise on wickedness,
    then I will remind them that wickedness is rampant in all races/cultures/nations.

I contend intrinsic moral equality. [or immoral equality if you like]
    I cheerfully argue against anyone claiming or even insinuatiing that one race is morally superior to another.
    Or that one gender is superior.
    We are all human and "made in image of ? " and "all have sinned"
  • Jabu_Rule
    edited January 2011
    Options
    You started with the sladerous insinuations. I can take it and I can dish it out.

I have no problem acknowledging wickedness among whites.

However, when someone slams whites [or Americans] as if they have the francise on wickedness,
    then I will remind them that wickedness is rampant in all races/cultures/nations.

I contend intrinsic moral equality. [or immoral equality if you like]
    I cheerfully argue against anyone claiming or even insinuatiing that one race is morally superior to another.
    Or that one gender is superior.
    We are all human and "made in image of ? " and "all have sinned"

You mentioned slavery in Sudan which had nothing to do with the topic when i was talking about a women who happens to be an elected official misleading people with her revisionist history. I also showed you the current events of the Sudan while you glossed over them. So since you wanted to come with unrelated topics, i shot back. What you do is react to anybody who attempts to illuminate misdeeds of white people that were perpetrated on blacks, and you throw around quotes of random acts by us that hold no water and have nothing to do with the issue of institutionalized racism and denial.