So anti-aging products for 8-12 yr old is what's hot now???

Options
gorilla
gorilla Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in The Social Lounge
This is absolutely sick. Walmart is about to start selling anti aging makeup for 8-12 yr olds

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41291950

What kind of sick in the head money hungry pervert comes up with not only makeup for 8-12 yr old (who shouldn't be wearing makeup any damn way) but also ANTI AGING???

So you want 8-12 yr old to stay lookin 8-12 yrs old? Sick ?

Comments

• Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Little girls should not feel self-conscious about their appearance or pressured to fit societal standards of beauty, so I understand where you're coming from. At the same time, this shouldn't necessarily be viewed as serious, adult, make up but something playful, for fun. Children have always liked to pretend that they were older. I remember being a child and everyone in my class looking forward to having homework, using deodorant, shaving, wearing bras etc.
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Huruma wrote: »
    Little girls should not feel self-conscious about their appearance or pressured to fit societal standards of beauty, so I understand where you're coming from. At the same time, this shouldn't necessarily be viewed as serious, adult, make up but something playful, for fun. Children have always liked to pretend that they were older. I remember being a child and everyone in my class looking forward to having homework, using deodorant, shaving, wearing bras etc.

your post reeks of false equivalency
  • Huruma
    edited January 2011
    Options

How so?
  • gorilla
    gorilla Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options

I don't agree with the playful fun part. It's basically the industry grooming future consumers of their products. Kids should be kids plain and simple. It kinda reminds me of people putting their little girls in beauty competitions and having them wearing lipstick and eyeshadow.

I think it's sick and perverted personally
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options

How so?

u compared an 8yr old using anti aging cream (muhfuckas haven't even hit puberty) to children naturally wanting to feel older than they are.

First off, for the two to be equivalent, then the 8yr old would have to be using AGING cream.

Secondly, how is this "playful or fun." How is this equal to make-up??? Because the child is trying to manipulate their age??? No. Uh uh. Can't work.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The new 'Geo-Girl' beauty line is said to be aimed at the 'tween' market of 8-12 year olds, and will include blusher, mascara, face shimmer and lipstick that is 'mother approved', as well as anti aging products.
    Seems, they're just selling make-up for kids. The writer probably went with the "anti-aging" angle to make a noticeable headline. Doesn't even specify what the "anti-aging products" are.

It's common for girls that age to start playing with makeup anyway.
    sAjit.jpg
  • Huruma
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I'm ? sick of my laptop spontaneously changing pages before I hit submit and losing everything I wrote. ? ? ass ? .

tru_m.a.c wrote: »
    u compared an 8yr old using anti aging cream (muhfuckas haven't even hit puberty) to children naturally wanting to feel older than they are.

First off, for the two to be equivalent, then the 8yr old would have to be using AGING cream.

Secondly, how is this "playful or fun." How is this equal to make-up??? Because the child is trying to manipulate their age??? No. Uh uh. Can't work.

The impression that I got was that it is a 'mock' anti-aging cream. Girls imitate women, part of being a child is fantasizing about growing up.

I understand your point of view, though. My concern is with little girls feeling pressured to fit certain standards of beauty, this might lead to serious body image problems later on in life. I don't care about the 'appropriateness' of children wearing make up, only the consequences.
  • CrownChakra
    CrownChakra Members Posts: 351
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Very disturbing, but the only people you can blame is the parents because you know aint no 8 year old checking for anti-aging cream.
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    gorilla wrote: »
    It's basically the industry grooming future consumers of their products.

And there you have your answer. If they can sell a product to 8 year old girls which will condition them to keep buying a similar product as adults, they don't care how strange or wrong it is.

It's the same as tobacco companies wanting to get kids smoking. It's not cause they feel one way or another about kids smoking, but because they know those kids will probably smoke as adults.