Could Unrest in Egypt Be The Beginning of the End Of Israel's Dominance in The ME?

Options
2»

Comments

• John Prewett
    John Prewett Members Posts: 755
    edited January 2011
    Options
    shootemwon wrote: »
    And the Westboro Baptist Church celebrates the death of US soldiers in the line of duty. When will Christians stop with their hatred for our military?

Since when was the WB"church" declared the spokesman for [so you imply] all Christians ?

Some [esp MOslems] claim the USA is a christian nation fielding a christian Crusader military, ....

Now you tell me Christians hate the military. Which way is it ?
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Since when was the WB"church" declared the spokesman for [so you imply] all Christians ?

Some [esp MOslems] claim the USA is a christian nation fielding a christian Crusader military, ....

Now you tell me Christians hate the military. Which way is it ?

I'm just demonstrating for heyslick that you can always point to a small number of people who associate themselves with a large group and jump to conclusions, but blanket statements rarely hold up.
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I think the Egyptians demanding change will be more concerned with fixing their economic problems than popping ? with Israel.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    How "Sharia Law" fears are usually discussed in the U.S:
    Just to be clear, Sharia Law is NOT coming to America. This is just fear-mongering and anti-Muslim paranoia.
    heyslick wrote: »
    It's here already.....

lol

btw

according to STRATFOR sources, the Egyptian military and internal security forces have coordinated a crackdown for the hours ahead in an effort to clear the streets of the demonstrators. The interior minister has meanwhile negotiated his stay for the time being, in spite of widespread expectations that he, seen by many Egyptians as the source of police brutality in the country, would be one of the first ministers that would have to be sacked in order to quell the demonstrations. Instead, both Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak and al-Adly, the two main targets of ire for the demonstrators, seem to be betting that they can ride this crisis out and remain in power. So far, the military seems to be acquiescing to these decisions.

The real test for the opposition has thus arrived. In spite of a minor reshuffling of the Cabinet and the military reasserting its authority behind the scenes, Mubarak and al-Adly remain in power. The opposition is unified in its hatred against these individuals, yet divided on most everything else. The Muslim Brotherhood’s Islamist platform, for example, is very different from opposition figure Mohamed ElBaradei’s secularist campaign, which explains why no one has been able to assume leadership of the demonstrations. In evaluating the situation on the streets, the regime appears willing to take a gamble that the opposition will not cohere into a meaningful threat and that an iron fist will succeed in putting down this uprising.

Within the next few hours, police and military officials are expected to redeploy in large numbers across major cities, with the CSF taking the first line of defense. Tensions are still running high between the internal security forces and the military, which could lead to serious clashes between the army and police on the streets. The size and scope of the protests appear to be dwindling into the low thousands, though there is still potential for the demonstrations to swell again after protesters rest themselves and wake up to the same government they have been trying to remove. Moreover, as the events of Jan. 28 and 29 illustrated, protesters are far more likely to clash with the CSF than with the military.

Read more: Egyptian Police Redeploying | STRATFOR

CSF are da Secret Police. TEH PLOT THICKENS

oh and Egypt was actually a Soviet ally until the 80s but yea history is boring
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Conversely:
    Sensational political developments in Cairo, with reports that five opposition movements, including the key Muslim Brotherhood, have mandated Mohammed ElBaradei to negotiate over the formation of a temporary "national salvation government."

Osama Ghazlai Harb of the National Democrsatic Front told BBC Arabic that this would be a transitional administration that would oversee the cancellation of the emergency laws and the release of all political prisoners
    225px-Mohamed_ElBaradei.jpg

former Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency, has supported free press in Egypt in the past
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    ^^^The fact that Elbaradei is named to be a potential replacement kind of gives me an uneasy feeling. sure he seems like an iconic figure the Egyptian people gravitate to, and he uses twitter as a means of communication to his advantage, but if he is indeed the alternative, u have to question how much of a radical transformation will there be? the initial concept of people uprising against the powers that be is great. and i agree with it wholeheartedly. but the uprising going on currently in Egypt i tend to classify as "popular uprisings". which is contradictory to the idea itself. like i said before, the people are fed up with what's going on and decided to do something about it . excellent. that's the part i admire the most. with the way this generation behaves, i didnt think humans could commonly come together and collectivize against a rule that they viewed as a tyrannical. however, my only issue is the same power they are uprising against will soon be replaced with another power. an analogy similar to this is the FLN struggle against the French in Algeria. which started off as an idea of highly expectations but then quickly went back to the typical" ? and politics" of common society. It also should be noted about how much fundamentalist Islamists influence will have in the future. as much as i want to be wrong, i highly doubt that secularism or anything anti-authoritarian will come of these revolutions. so only time will tell, as i will be keeping up with current events daily. but for now i can at least marvel at the excecution.
  • urmybitch
    urmybitch Members Posts: 284
    edited February 2011
    Options
    This revolt is a revolt of the people who are asking specifically for democratic elections and a democratic government. The Muslim Brotherhood themselves have offered their support for this type of government. This is something Americans should embrace and admire because this is how our own country took form. Sure there would be unrest and fear in the rest of the region but to have the most powerful and influential Arab country become democratic is something that can only be viewed positively when you view it in the long term. I don't think peace in Israel would be compromised but it would definitely add a new element to the Palestinian and Israel negotiations. The influence this could have on countries like Iraq, Algeria, Libya, Jordan, Yemen and perhaps the rest of the world could be quite significant and the fact that this has been done relatively peacefully but yet aggressively shows that there is way for people to uprise in that region and do it in a way that gives them what they want.
  • urmybitch
    urmybitch Members Posts: 284
    edited February 2011
    Options
    El Baradei I don't has been named as a successor and considering Egyptians are asking for proper elections I think you can expect a number of peoples names to pop up till these elections take place.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    You say their time is "running out" like it's about to be a wrap, but then you give em another hundred years, and Israel has only been around for about 63 or so years. You're sayin they still got more ahead of them than behind them.

But I don't know why you would predict that the Palestinian issue will lead to Israel's demise in about 100 years based on the Palestinians are some of the poorest people on earth squeezed into a tiny deathtrap of a territory where they're unable to have any kind of meaningful economy. In such a situation, how would you even have any confidence in how their growth will continue 100 years into the future? With the entire Middle East so unstable right now, I wouldn't make any big predictions about the 22nd century. Something will probably happen one way or another long before that.

Yeah you're right, 100 years is way too long. I'll give Israel about 50 or more years before it has to eventually decide a one state solution is its only option for staying a legitimate state. Many states around the world, over a 100, consider Palestinian territories to be a single nation. The USA and most of Europe consider the Palestinian lands territories of Israel, or something along those lines. However, in the future, public pressure on Israel will be too immense because Palestinians will surpass Jewish population so much that to continue its apartheid reign over them would make even the USA and other world powers too disgusted to support it. I understand the small death trap Palestinians are in, but their population is growing very rapidly, all the time.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2010/09/06/Palestinian-population-shows-rapid-growth/UPI-61641283778536/

I could be wrong though, but that time frame to me sounds about right.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    "1The burden of the word of the LORD for Israel, saith the LORD, which stretcheth forth the heavens, and layeth the foundation of the earth, and formeth the spirit of man within him. 2Behold, I will make Jerusalem a cup of trembling unto all the people round about, when they shall be in the siege both against Judah and against Jerusalem. 3And in that day will I make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for all people: all that burden themselves with it shall be cut in pieces, though all the people of the earth be gathered together against it." Zechariah 12:1-3

World events continue to line up EXACTLY with Bible prophecy. No nation in the world, including America, will be Israels ally in the last days. Only then will the nation of Israel cry out for a deliverer and the Lord Jesus will rescue His chosen people.

How will Jesus treat the Palestinians? What do you think?