Just checking, there aren't people who take the Bible literally are there?

Options
Daniel Plainview
Daniel Plainview Members Posts: 895
edited January 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
literal interpretation of the bible in 2011?

Comments

• ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Yes, DoUwant2go2Heaven

and Ether-I-Am
  • Daniel Plainview
    Daniel Plainview Members Posts: 895
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Yes, DoUwant2go2Heaven

and Ether-I-Am

they think Noah put a zoo on a boat? and ? ripped Adams' ribs out?
  • b*braze
    b*braze Members Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    sadly, yes. i live with one, too.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Yes, there are people with low intelligence out there (or gullible faith) who truly believe the Bible is 100% real and literal. It's a sad world out there. I'd say about 35% of all Christians I ever met take the Bible literally.
  • kingblaze84
    edited January 2011
    Options
    they think Noah put a zoo on a boat? and ? ripped Adams' ribs out?

Not Ether, but DOU definitely believes this. He also thinks a dead Jewish guy is gonna come back to life eventually, despite the fact that 2,000 and 11 years later, the ? still ain't here.
  • kingblaze84
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The greatest lie Jesus ever told...........Matthew 24:29-34

The sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from the sky, and the heavenly bodies will be shaken. . . . They will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky, with power and great glory. . . . I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. [Emphasis added.] "That generation" was more than 2000 years ago.....where the ? are you doggy?
  • thedesolateone
    thedesolateone Members Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    jesus :the greatest con artist who never lived
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    This is a particularly big problem in the United States. The American public includes a disturbingly high number of people who do in fact believe that the Bible is literally true down to every last sentence.

It's ok though, Europe had this problem themselves......during the Dark Ages :(
  • shootemwon
    edited January 2011
    Options
    jesus :the greatest con artist who never lived

Jesus wasn't a con artist. Where's the payoff in getting crucified? The con artists are all the people who used his name to build the religion we now know as Christianity.

I got no beef with Jesus actually. From the info I have, he seemed like a pretty cool guy. I give him props. I just think that since it's been 2,000 years, we should probably move on.
  • thedesolateone
    edited January 2011
    Options
    shootemwon wrote: »
    Jesus wasn't a con artist. Where's the payoff in getting crucified? The con artists are all the people who used his name to build the religion we now know as Christianity.

I got no beef with Jesus actually. From the info I have, he seemed like a pretty cool guy. I give him props. I just think that since it's been 2,000 years, we should probably move on.

i just think that he never existed and people should see it as just a story
  • shootemwon
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i just think that he never existed and people should see it as just a story

I know there's some contention, but I tend to believe Jesus did exist and was crucified (as were many people in that time period).

As far as being ? and ? , I don't think Jesus ever even claimed that.

But yeah, I tend to lean towards the belief that Jesus was a real person. I just find pretty much all of his story to be ? except that he defied the religious establishment and got crucified.
  • thedesolateone
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I know there's some contention, but I tend to believe Jesus did exist and was crucified (as were many people in that time period).

As far as being ? and ? , I don't think Jesus ever even claimed that.

But yeah, I tend to lean towards the belief that Jesus was a real person. I just find pretty much all of his story to be ? except that he defied the religious establishment and got crucified.

possible i can agree but so what
    i do commend you for sounding like a sensible person im just tired of people askin am i saved .saved from what?
  • shootemwon
    edited January 2011
    Options
    possible i can agree but so what

Well if my theory is correct, I think it's unfair to call Jesus a con artist. He was a principled man with a message that was probably way ahead of his time, but I don't think he pushed any of that mumbo jumbo about being the divine son of ? . I think that was all made up later. So Jesus was just a principled man who didn't fear crucifixion.
  • thedesolateone
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Well if my theory is correct, I think it's unfair to call Jesus a con artist. He was a principled man with a message that was probably way ahead of his time, but I don't think he pushed any of that mumbo jumbo about being the divine son of ? . I think that was all made up later. So Jesus was just a principled man who didn't fear crucifixion.

you never met this supposed person so how can you make such a judgement if he was this or that .you might as well be talking bout al bundy or just make up your own imaginary friend
  • thedesolateone
    edited January 2011
    Options
    christian dont realize how ridiculous they sound yet they see all the other religions as obviously false and the religion of greece as myth
  • shootemwon
    edited January 2011
    Options
    you never met this supposed person so how can you make such a judgement if he was this or that .you might as well be talking bout al bundy or just make up your own imaginary friend

Don't get me wrong, I'm an atheist, but from what historians (not religious people) have determined, I believe Jesus was a real person, but much of his story is fabricated or borrowed from other mythical figures.
  • thedesolateone
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I'm an atheist, but from what historians (not religious people) have determined, I believe Jesus was a real person, but much of his story is fabricated or borrowed from other mythical figures.

so how can you say he wasnt evil or a conman or just had a big imagination.he has no history outside the bible .are you talking about josephus mentioning him once?what historians are these?are they christians with special interest?
  • John Prewett
    John Prewett Members Posts: 755
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The greatest lie Jesus ever told...........Matthew 24:29-34

The sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from the sky, and the heavenly bodies will be shaken. . . . They will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky, with power and great glory. . . . I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. [Emphasis added.] "That generation" was more than 2000 years ago.....where the ? are you doggy?

How do you know it didn't happen ?
  • thedesolateone
    edited January 2011
    Options
    How do you know it didn't happen ?
    well did it?its not that it didnt it that there is no evidence and no reasonable person should believe it plus it sounds outlandish
  • John Prewett
    John Prewett Members Posts: 755
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Jesus wasn't a con artist. Where's the payoff in getting crucified?

Good point

The con artists are all the people who used his name to build the religion we now know as Christianity. .

Agreed. Cept what you call "Christianity" is what I'd call

organized "christian" religion,.... or the Great ? Mother and her family of cults.
  • thedesolateone
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Good point

Agreed. Cept what you call "Christianity" is what I'd call

organized "christian" religion,.... or the Great ? Mother and her family of cults.

they payoff is umm according to your religion....BECOMING ? OR SITTING AT THE RIGHTHAND OR WHATEVER.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Let's just say that the Bible should be taken literally...so what? What does it matter to know that once upon a time a snake and a burning bush talked, a big boat carried all of the animals...and other miraculous things? Though it would be nice every once and a while to see some amazing sight, but if all I want to do afterwards is clap my hands and go..."Bravo, ? . I knew You could do it", then I just might be serving a lost cause.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    alissowack wrote: »
    Let's just say that the Bible should be taken literally...so what? What does it matter to know that once upon a time a snake and a burning bush talked, a big boat carried all of the animals...and other miraculous things? Though it would be nice every once and a while to see some amazing sight, but if all I want to do afterwards is clap my hands and go..."Bravo, ? . I knew You could do it", then I just might be serving a lost cause.

If you think that seeing the amazing things that were attributed to mythical Jesus in this day woudln't amaze people, then you amaze me.

They said dude bought back dead people. I mean that is serious business.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited January 2011
    Options
    they payoff is umm according to your religion....BECOMING ? OR SITTING AT THE RIGHTHAND OR WHATEVER.

That doesn't affect Jesus. If he was an average man who was indeed a con artist he knew he wouldn't become ? or be the hype man or none of that so still what would have been Jesus' reasoning for being crucified? Unless he faked his crucifixion and in return was collecting money on his legacy behind the scenes there was no payoff.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    If you think that seeing the amazing things that were attributed to mythical Jesus in this day woudln't amaze people, then you amaze me.

They said dude bought back dead people. I mean that is serious business.

Maybe I need to work on how I word stuff...I don't know. But I was not suggesting that the miracles wouldn't be amazing. I'm saying that if that is all that I'm looking for in Jesus is the miracles, then it's possible that I am only interested in what I can gain from it...not whether these miracles serve a different purpose.