Big picture vs. details (personality types)

Options
Huruma
Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in The Social Lounge
I don't know how to word this but I was just about to reply to a topic ('what is the purpose of the evolution theory') and I noticed that my reply didn't directly have anything to do with the topic of evolution specifically. I was going to say that the purpose of science is to understand the natural world so that we can satisfy our curiosity as well as to learn to manipulate nature for our benefit (ie. by coming up with medicine, vaccines, helpful technology etc. ). It never occurred to me to say that the purpose of evolutionary theory is to explain the diversity and origin of life on Earth which is the directly relevant answer. That was probably a stupid example but my point is that whenever I read/watch a story, look at a piece of art, think about any random topic etc. I usually look at the 'big picture' and not the individual facts or details.

I don't think I look at things literally or live in the moment either, I think I usually look at events in relation to past or future events and never as isolated incidents, things and ideas usually have some kind of abstract meaning or 'purpose' to me, I usually don't take them as they are. I probably sound ? .

Do you think you tend to focus on the big picture or details, live in the moment or the future, see things literally or intuitively?

Comments

• fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I focus on both. Like if I hear a fundamental physical constant may not truly be constant, I'll immediatelty think of how this affects other physical relationships and other constants; and whether this means any constants/equations that may have gone into the calculation of the physical constant in question are also flawed.

Plus, since I like to manipulate people I try to evaluate things as completely as possible, details and all.

I view life as a large calculable equation, so the less unknown variables there are, the more certain the outcome is.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    It's like finding the good in the bad and bad in the good. I think looking at the big picture would include the details, seeing the literal and the intuitive sides, the moment and future.