What NY Borough has the worst rappers????

Options

Comments

• musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Even though it's not a Borough, Long Island is waay above Manhattan (Public Enemy, Rakim, EPMD & early Busta)
    in regards to critical acclaim. They just fell off hard in the 90's just like Mt Vernon.
  • aviator
    aviator Members Posts: 273
    edited January 2011
    Options
    KplusK wrote: »
    im not even gonna be biased cause ti my ? and i think he has been in the top tier for the last few years but nas is better than ti right now. jay is better than ti right now. but thats just my opinion like you have yours so *kanye shrug*

Nas career and impact on the game yea...but these past five years whos made better music...T.I.....and Crime Boss is better than Mase anyday...you may not be up on him but ? over 25 know wat time it is..but its all opinion my brotha
  • bunz
    bunz Members Posts: 1,000
    edited January 2011
    Options
    props to kplusk for giving downstate (YO, Mount Vernon, New Rochelle) it's just due. Long Island used to produce classic talent just like them but doesn't anymore and many have forgot about that.

Anyway, Manhattan has the least amount of critically acclaimed rappers (Big L, Mcgruff, early Cam & Immortal Technique) but ranks at the top when it comes to producing the best all around entertainment (Kurtis Blow, Rob Base, Doug E Fresh, 2pac, Puffy, Mase & Cam'Ron)

So in thread context, I gotta say:

1. Brooklyn (The best)

2. Queens (Second best)

3. Bronx (slept on, but still strong)

4. Staten Island (? , Ghost and Rae are but a small group but it's quality over quantity)

5. Manhattan is the worst as far as critical acclaim. They have the underachievers (Big L, Charles Hamilton, Max B, Juelz, Tru Life, Vado) & the Gimmicks (Diddy, Mims, Chicken Noodle Soup, Beastie Boys)

big L an underachiever? beastie boys a gimmick? i almost agreed with ur whole post til i read that ? lol...
  • musicology1985
    edited January 2011
    Options
    bunz wrote: »
    big L an underachiever? beastie boys a gimmick? i almost agreed with ur whole post til i read that ? lol...

To me Big L is an underachiever. He only has one joint that he himself is responsible for (1995's Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous) and the rest is classic freestyles and leftover tracks. Even Cam vouched for this. I'm not sayin' it's his fault, but him signing with the ROC in 1999 was gonna be huge. Pun got dealt with a similar hand but was able to make a bigger impact on the game in 1998, 1999 & 2000. Pun wasted no time.

Moreover, I'll take Beastie Boys off for the folks who like em,' but to me they were extra gimmicky.
  • bunz
    bunz Members Posts: 1,000
    edited January 2011
    Options
    To me Big L is an underachiever. He only has one joint that he himself is responsible for (1995's Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous) and the rest is classic freestyles and leftover tracks. Even Cam vouched for this. I'm not sayin' it's his fault, but him signing with the ROC in 1999 was gonna be huge. Pun got dealt with a similar hand but was able to make a bigger impact on the game in 1998, 1999 & 2000. Pun wasted no time.

Moreover, I'll take Beastie Boys off for the folks who like em,' but to me they were extra gimmicky.

hey by all means do u i just dont see the gimmick.... a few cool ass white boys flowing over crazy mid-late 80's rick rubin beats and ? .... they are def jam foundation man...
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Eaisly its Harlem... Dipset is ? wack, Mase imo is garbage... the only cats from Harlem that I listen too is immortal Technique and Big L

IMO Brooklyn by far has the best rappers of not just NYC but perhaps any borough/city in the Country imo...
  • blackbloc
    blackbloc Members Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    Eaisly its Harlem... Dipset is ? wack, Mase imo is garbage... the only cats from Harlem that I listen too is immortal Technique and Big L

IMO Brooklyn by far has the best rappers of not just NYC but perhaps any borough/city in the Country imo...

you from New jersey and you dont know Harlem is a neighborhood ?
  • blackbloc
    blackbloc Members Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    freshb651 wrote: »
    Tru Life is from Queens dunny

tru life from Lower East Side, Manhattan , lol at you saying it like you knew what your were talking about
  • nujerz84
    edited January 2011
    Options
    blackbloc wrote: »
    you from New jersey and you dont know Harlem is a neighborhood ?
    Part of Manhattan most people dont even say Manhattan when mentioning the Boroughs with regards to hiphop.. its usually Harlem World (if old head) or just flat out Harlem. I dont hear anyone still using Money making anymore.. Regardless whether you say the correctly Manhattan, or if you use Harlem World, Harlem or Money makin its still the worst outta NYC bar none.
  • Maalik
    Maalik Members Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Part of Manhattan most people dont even say Manhattan when mentioning the Boroughs with regards to hiphop.. its usually Harlem World (if old head) or just flat out Harlem. I dont hear anyone still using Money making anymore.. Regardless whether you say the correctly Manhattan, or if you use Harlem World, Harlem or Money makin its still the worst outta NYC bar none.

I agree...Manhattan is a rich area. Not too many lower class areas over there which affects the hip hop scene because....lets face it, most rap music is born out of the struggle. Besides Harlem, Wash. Heights, Lower East Side & maybe Hells Kitchen, Manhattan is Yuppie Central.
  • Maalik
    edited January 2011
    Options
    This the last post I'mma make because ? is just ignoring the facts...

This is usually the unanimous Top 5 Rappers of every Hip Hop purist...

1. Tupac - Harlem, New York.
    2. Biggie Smalls - Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn, New York.
    3. Jay-Z - Marcy, Brooklyn, New York.
    4. Nas - Queensbridge, Queens, New York.
    5. Eminem - Detroit, Michigan
    5b. Ice Cube - Los Angeles, California
    5c. Rakim - Long Island, New York

(5 changes up depending on who you ask)

Now The Bronx & Staten Island are left off that list. Harlem can't be the worst when they produced one of the best to ever rap. It don't matter which way you argue...you argue Quantity over Quality, more dope rappers have came out of Manhattan than the 3-4 dope rappers from WuTang. If you want to argue Quality over Quantity, Tupac was from Harlem & he definitely ? on anyone from Staten.

Like I said, yall ? is ignoring facts. Its like arguing with children. The only thing Staten Island has going for itself is a relatively small pool of artists & very few weak links in that small group
  • musicology1985
    edited January 2011
    Options
    @Maalik

more dope rappers have came out of Manhattan than the 3-4 dope rappers from WuTang.
    [/SIZE] If you want to argue Quality over Quantity, Tupac was from Harlem & he definitely ? on anyone from Staten.

Sir I disagree with this. Those three MC's collectively ? on the whole borough of Manhattan

Method Man
    1994 Tical
    1998 Tical 2000: Judgement Day
    2004 Tical 0: The Prequel
    2006 421...the Day After

Raekwon
    1995 Only Built 4 Cuban Linx…
    1999 Immobilarity
    2003 The Lex Diamond Story
    2009 Only Built 4 Cuban Linx… Pt. II

Ghostface Killah
    Inronman (1996)
    Supreme Clientele (2000)
    Bulletproof Wallets (2001)
    The Pretty Toney Album (2004)
    Fishscale (2006)
    More Fish (2006)
    The Big Doe Rehab (2007)
    Ghostdini: Wizard of Poetry in Emerald City (2009)
    Apollo Kids (2010)

Those 3 right there have 14 solo joints that stack up against the whole Manhattan with 5 indisputable classic's IN BOLD

they also have this strong effort from 2010 as a collective.......

Wu-Massacre_cover.JPG

Edit:17 solo joints. Typing a lil fast there.
  • Maalik
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I see where you coming from...

I guess I just got a hard time calling a borough wack when the best rapper ever was born there...

Its like saying Brooklyn dont produce no good ball players when Jordan was born there...
  • nujerz84
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Maalik wrote: »
    I see where you coming from...

I guess I just got a hard time calling a borough wack when the best rapper ever was born there...

Its like saying Brooklyn dont produce no good ball players when Jordan was born there...

Arguement is flawed... I personally dont think Pac is anywhere near to being the best rapper ever but for purposes say he is... hes not nor was he ever considered a Harlem MC...

Your Jordan reference is even more laughable... Jordan produced and honed in skills in Wilmington North Carolina as a toddler Brooklyn doesnt get any credit for Jordans game and they shouldnt..
  • musicology1985
    edited January 2011
    Options
    A Puerto Rican warrior fresh off of a 20 year bid told me in 2010....

"I'd rather have 5 strong than 50 weak."
  • Maalik
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Arguement is flawed... I personally dont think Pac is anywhere near to being the best rapper ever but for purposes say he is... hes not nor was he ever considered a Harlem MC...

Your Jordan reference is even more laughable... Jordan produced and honed in skills in Wilmington North Carolina as a toddler Brooklyn doesnt get any credit for Jordans game and they shouldnt..

Pac being or not being a "Harlem MC" dont mean ? . He lived there until he was 16 before moving to Baltimore. He was raised there. Even if you dont like the ? , he's revered in the rap community.

The Jordan reference still stands....switch it to Wilmington, NC then. Same deal. How you gonna call a city/borough/neighborhood the wackest when the a top 2 talent was bred there.

I see where yall coming from but, I dont agree. I'd rather have a team of 4 average to above average rappers & 1 GOAT rapper than a team of 4 above average rappers.
  • nujerz84
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Pac being or not being a "Harlem MC" dont mean ? . He lived there until he was 16 before moving to Baltimore. He was raised there. Even if you dont like the ? , he's revered in the rap community.

The Jordan reference still stands....switch it to Wilmington, NC then. Same deal. How you gonna call a city/borough/neighborhood the wackest when the a top 2 talent was bred there.

I see where yall coming from but, I dont agree. I'd rather have a team of 4 average to above average rappers & 1 GOAT rapper than a team of 4 above average rappers.

IMO that Jordan reference doesnt stand cause he never lived in Brooklyn long enough especially compared to Pac he was at least in NYC while he was a teen. Jordan was a toddler perhaps 1-3 yrs old at most. Again Brooklyn gets no credit for anything with regards to Jordan as a basketball player.

I still say Pac wasnt a East Coast Mc..and no one in there right mind would classify Pac as NYC rapper either.
  • Maalik
    edited January 2011
    Options
    IMO that Jordan reference doesnt stand cause he never lived in Brooklyn long enough especially compared to Pac he was at least in NYC while he was a teen. Jordan was a toddler perhaps 1-3 yrs old at most. Again Brooklyn gets no credit for anything with regards to Jordan as a basketball player.

I still say Pac wasnt a East Coast Mc..and no one in there right mind would classify Pac as NYC rapper either.

That's cool. That just means everyone's wrong then. If you lived on this earth for 25 years & spent 16 years of it in one city....how are you not from that city.
  • tri3w
    tri3w Members Posts: 3,142 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    freshb651 wrote: »
    Tru Life is from Queens dunny

Noo "dunny"........Dude from the Lower EastSide, the LES
  • musicology1985
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Manhattan rappers are too inconsistent as well. They either get caught up in street ? or quit

Pac-Died because of some street ?
    Big L-Died because of some street ?
    Max B-Imprisoned because of some street ?
    Tru Life-Imprisoned because of some street ?

Mase-Quit the industry and came back and quit again
    Juelz-Stopped trying after 2005 (basically quit too)
    Cam'Ron-Went on hiatus and ruined the Dipset buzz of 2003-2006

Others: Charles Hamilton went crazy, Jim Jones switched sides then came back etc etc....They're great personalities and entertainers, but unpredictability comes with that, good and bad.
  • nujerz84
    edited January 2011
    Options
    That's cool. That just means everyone's wrong then. If you lived on this earth for 25 years & spent 16 years of it in one city....how are you not from that city.

How many songs or anthems does Pac have where he shouts, reps or big ups NYC/Harlem?? Vs how many times he did for California...

Conversly how many songs he made bashing the east and NYC in particular as opposed to songs in which he did the same against the west?

Another point do you consider Ludacris an ATL mc or chicago?? Or do you see DJ Premier an as East Coast producer or Down South producer??....

A Rakim quote sums up my point Im trying to make
    "It aint where you from but where your at".
  • Beware
    Beware Members Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    y'all forgetting slick rick is from the bronx?
  • NAWLEDGE_REIGNS
    NAWLEDGE_REIGNS Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    dwade206 wrote: »
    LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The absolute highlight of the song.

Oh, and Manhattan has the worst rappers. Word to computers putin.

We Have A Winner...Minus Lamont Coleman
  • JadaRoss
    JadaRoss Members Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Jim Jones killed the dipset movement,with the skull and bones bs

we need dipset again
  • Knightryder
    Knightryder Members Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    manhattan/harlem

is the weakest...and im from ny...Brooklyn by the way

and for the ? who keeps putting 2pac with manhattan...please stop it
    cause everybody and there mothers know 2pac aint claim manhattan and never will....

2pac aint even claim the east coast.....let the west coast have him....

its like Busta Rhymes being fom Long Island but yet the ? claims Brooklyn....all the time
    the same with Prodigy i believe he is from long island, but he claims queens....