Would you have more respect for Christians if...

soul rattler
soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
they would just admit that:

- they find loopholes in their scriptures to justify their murder, lies, etc.
- they take SOME of the Bible seriously SOME of the time, but others not at all
- they may be worshipping a figment of their imagination but it helps them get through the day
- they use a book that has been tampered with throughout history and is mistranslated and inaccurate
- their religion is a religion, and thus inherits the traits of religions i.e. seperatism, xenophobia, genocide, enslavement, racism, sexism
- their religion responsible (at least partially) for a sizable portion of tragedies that have occured in the last 1500+ years
- if Jesus did exist in the first place, he is not the founder of Christianity
- they prefer 'faith' over 'logic' when it's most convenient

??? If you're going to participate in '? up' activities, at least be 100% and own up to it.

Comments

• Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Arbitrarily 'liberalizing' certain parts of the bible when convenient has always irritated me but I'd rather they be logically inconsistent if it means not discriminating against ? , not stoning women to death for being ? or committing adultery, not using psychological coercion (fear of hell) to indoctrinate children and win converts etc.
  • soul rattler
    edited January 2011
    Huruma wrote: »
    Arbitrarily 'liberalizing' certain parts of the bible when convenient has always irritated me but I'd rather they be logically inconsistent if it means not discriminating against ? , not stoning women to death for being ? or committing adultery, not using psychological coercion (fear of hell) to indoctrinate children and win converts etc.

Christianity seems to be one of those things that you can never follow completely without contradiction.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
  • CrownChakra
    CrownChakra Members Posts: 351
    edited January 2011
    yes, but I would respect them more if they accepted all other religions.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited January 2011
    Nope.....

The only time I actually have any respect for a religious man is when he follows what his book teaches. I respect and give more props to religious extremist that are out there killing people because they are told to rather than someone that says "oh well that dont matter no more". I think all religious people should start slaughtering people for the reasons they should. I'll start by claiming that Janklow is evil, one more claim that Janklow is evil means one of you Christians need to go find and murder him, Thank you.
  • soul rattler
    edited January 2011
    Nope.....

The only time I actually have any respect for a religious man is when he follows what his book teaches. I respect and give more props to religious extremist that are out there killing people because they are told to rather than someone that says "oh well that dont matter no more". I think all religious people should start slaughtering people for the reasons they should. I'll start by claiming that Janklow is evil, one more claim that Janklow is evil means one of you Christians need to go find and murder him, Thank you.

But with Christians, they will read something in the bible, ignore it, and then claim that they didn't ignore it. If they would at least say, "Yes, the bible says that... but ? it I like that part." they would at least be upfront about their inconsistency. Instead, they just give the age old copout: "? knows my heart".
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited January 2011
    But with Christians, they will read something in the bible, ignore it, and then claim that they didn't ignore it. If they would at least say, "Yes, the bible says that... but ? it I like that part." they would at least be upfront about their inconsistency. Instead, they just give the age old copout: "? knows my heart".

Why should I respect someone who believes a lie simply because they like it?
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    It's not the person I have lack of regard for, it's the thought system.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited January 2011
    - they find loopholes in their scriptures to justify their murder, lies, etc.
    - they take SOME of the Bible seriously SOME of the time, but others not at all
    - they may be worshipping a figment of their imagination but it helps them get through the day
    - they use a book that has been tampered with throughout history and is mistranslated and inaccurate
    - their religion is a religion, and thus inherits the traits of religions i.e. seperatism, xenophobia, genocide, enslavement, racism, sexism
    - their religion responsible (at least partially) for a sizable portion of tragedies that have occured in the last 1500+ years
    - if Jesus did exist in the first place, he is not the founder of Christianity
    - they prefer 'faith' over 'logic' when it's most convenient
    some of this is acknowledged by Christians and some of it clearly cannot be acknowledged by Christians. you'd respect them if they said they're worshiping a figment of their imagination? come on
    I think all religious people should start slaughtering people for the reasons they should. I'll start by claiming that Janklow is evil, one more claim that Janklow is evil means one of you Christians need to go find and murder him, Thank you.
    what the hell is going on here
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited January 2011
    janklow wrote: »
    some of this is acknowledged by Christians and some of it clearly cannot be acknowledged by Christians. you'd respect them if they said they're worshiping a figment of their imagination? come on

what the hell is going on here

I'll never forgive your rig voting Janklow. You putting Shootem in negative categories resulted in fixed poster of the year votes which in turn may have cost me the coveted POY crown... I got e-bread on your head.
  • thedesolateone
    thedesolateone Members Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    i would respect christians if they had any evidence of the outlandish things they speak whatsoever
  • soul rattler
    edited January 2011
    janklow wrote: »
    some of this is acknowledged by Christians and some of it clearly cannot be acknowledged by Christians. you'd respect them if they said they're worshiping a figment of their imagination?
    No, not that so much... just to come to terms with the fact that their deity doesn't actually exist. Like someone whose a fan of professional wrestling, they can love every minute of it and still admit that it isn't real. That's the least they could do.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    No, not that so much... just to come to terms with the fact that their deity doesn't actually exist. Like someone whose a fan of professional wrestling, they can love every minute of it and still admit that it isn't real. That's the least they could do.

lol

i know for a fact that wrestling is real

how else do you explain the five million cheering fans in the Pontiac Superdome when Hogan slammed Andre, brother?
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited January 2011
    if jesus can die and come back to life, so can the Undertaker
  • John Prewett
    John Prewett Members Posts: 755
    edited January 2011
    ........- if Jesus did exist in the first place, he is not the founder of Christianity ...........

Right ! Jesus is not the founder of what you [and most people] call "Christianity."

Roman Empire king Constantine was.
  • thedesolateone
    edited January 2011
    lol

how else do you explain the five million cheering fans in the Pontiac Superdome when Hogan slammed Andre, brother?

hogan had a bad back at the time an he even admits it was staged and andre helped him with the slam.its in his book
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited January 2011
    hogan had a bad back at the time an he even admits it was staged and andre helped him with the slam.its in his book

time for a book burnin' then
  • soul rattler
    edited January 2011

All praise be to the Gawd Triple H.
  • CrownChakra
    CrownChakra Members Posts: 351
    edited January 2011
    lol

Are you joking?
  • b*braze
    b*braze Members Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    I already respect christians. I was raised by a ? Christian and I love my pops very much. Most of my family are Christians. My girl is the daughter of the pastor of the church I attended in my youth. I just happen to not believe what they believe.

I know that's shocking considering the word around the IC streets is that atheists are amoral and don't about anyone but themselves.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited January 2011
    I'll never forgive your rig voting Janklow. You putting Shootem in negative categories resulted in fixed poster of the year votes which in turn may have cost me the coveted POY crown... I got e-bread on your head.
    this ridiculousness is never going to end
    right, what i am saying is that your position, as stated in the original post, is ? . you want Christians to say "hey, our deity doesn't exist" in order for you to respect them, when this is something that a Christian is clearly not going to do. so what's the point?
  • GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    You live and you die. No religion or science has figured out anything different so while I respect them as human beings there is nothing they can do to make me respect them more other than figure out something different other than you live and you die.Lastly,the bible is interesting but it does not even stand the test of time as a moral compass.
  • thedesolateone
    edited January 2011
    i would respect christians if they had any evidence of the outlandish things they speak whatsoever

slept on most rationalist of post