Segregating Black Students For Their Own Sake

desertrain10
desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in For The Grown & Sexy
(CNN) -- A Pennsylvania high school says some students are separated by race, gender and language for a few minutes each day in an effort to boost academic scores, raising controversy over the historically contentious issue of segregation in schools.
The initiative is a pilot program intended to capitalize on "enriching students' experiences through mentoring" and is derived from school research "that shows grouping black students by gender with a strong role model can help boost their academic achievement and self esteem," according to a statement from McCaskey East High School in Lancaster.
"Educators immediately noticed strong bonds being formed between all students and mentor teachers," the statement said.
The junior class at McCaskey East is voluntarily segregated by the students, who organize themselves "by gender, race and/or language," said school spokeswoman Kelly Burkholder.
But some school experts say the experiment is misguided.
"When we talk about reducing the achievement gap, do we mean merely reducing the discrepancy of test scores of white students and students of color?" asked education consultant Sam Chaltain. "Or do we mean reducing the predictive impact that things like race, class and gender have on all aspects of student engagement, performance and learning?"
The school's principal defended the policy.
"One of the things we said when we did this was, 'Let's look at the data, let's not run from it. Let's confront it and see what we can do about it,'" said school principal Bill Jimenez. "In visiting the classrooms, I saw students planning their path for success after graduation."
But while McCaskey East students are "segregated" for six minutes each day and 20 minutes twice a month, some say other school systems in the country appear to be reverting to real segregation.
Last month, the NAACP held a three-day education summit in Raleigh, North Carolina, where the Wake County School Board, bolstered by the election of four new conservative members last year, ended the school system's 10-year-old diversity policy that used the number of students receiving free or reduced-price lunches to assign students to schools.
They plan to replace the policy with a "neighborhood schools system" that critics say will establish real segregation.
"School boards across this country are rolling the clock back to the time before Brown vs. the Board of Education," NAACP President Benjamin Todd Jealous said in a statement. "The NAACP will not let this happen."
The 1954 case from Topeka, Kansas, ruled that segregation in public schools was unconstitutional, overturning an earlier ruling in a decision that determined "separate educational facilities are inherently unequal."
But as educators look for new ways to improve student aptitude, some point out that McCaskey East High School could have the right idea. A national study from UCLA Graduate School of Education and Information Studies claims to show that girls from single-sex schools have an edge over their co-ed peers.
"Single-sex education appears to produce favorable outcomes for female students, especially in terms of their confidence, engagement and aspirations, most notably in areas related to math and science," the 2008 study said.

i dunno if this thread has been done the story is 2,3 days old but any thoughts?

i'm for separating female and male students but i dunno. historically in the u.s. black students have done better academically in segregated schools but would school districts and funding be divvied up... and would the separate but equal doctrine be upheld?

Comments

• CrownChakra
    CrownChakra Members Posts: 351
    edited January 2011
    Atleast the school system is admitting there is a problem. The funny thing is if this program is successful it has the potential to be permanent.

But if this successful it is still wrong because kids arent going to be segregated in the real world.

School is supposed to be a microcosm of life and the real world like work wont be segregated to "level the playing field"

If they feel better in a segregated situation what will happen once the situation is not segregated? The same problem will occur and were back to basics
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Atleast the school system is admitting there is a problem. The funny thing is if this program is successful it has the potential to be permanent.

But if this successful it is still wrong because kids arent going to be segregated in the real world.

School is supposed to be a microcosm of life and the real world like work wont be segregated to "level the playing field"

If they feel better in a segregated situation what will happen once the situation is not segregated? The same problem will occur and were back to basics

i don't think children would have a hard time adjusting to the real world if the proper precautions were taken. and segregation may help to solve the identity issues and stereotyping that arises for black students in predominantly white environments (and predominantly black environments). but i see what you're saying it is not best to leave children isolated and ignorant about other cultures/races ...

and the school system is already segregated anyways. legal segregation had simply has just been replaced by an economic version of it – school districts carefully arranged to keep poor and rich kids separate, which in that place and time, matched up fairly well with keeping white kids and kids of color separate.

i think the solution is more so proper funding, better teachers and better parenting
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    the american education system: trying everything EXCEPT demanding that the students work harder
  • bootcheese3000
    bootcheese3000 Members Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    the american education system: trying everything EXCEPT demanding that the students work harder

ain't that the truth ruth.

whether it's for 6 min. or 60 i don't get what this is all about. so you mean to tell me that brown vs. the board of education happened for nothing?

and i've heard alot of white supremacists mention how school systems have gone downhill ever since desegregation came about but as someone on this thread mentioned black students learning in black school had better test scores than the white students. maybe the systems purposefully dumbed schools and classes down as soon as desegregation went into action to try and make others believe this is why. i don't get why this dumb-ass "experiment" is taking place to begin with.
  • phantom0900
    phantom0900 Members Posts: 1,313 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Integration was a huge mistake for black folks. Didnt read the topic, just felt like saying that.
  • anthony7q
    anthony7q Members Posts: 782
    edited January 2011
    Children are naturally curious and IMO shouldn't be kept stuck in a classroom for 5 hours straight.
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    They have an afrocentric school here in Toronto with an african curriculum instead of an euro one. Its not segregated, students of other ethnic backgrounds are welcomed.
  • white people like me
    white people like me Members Posts: 171
    edited January 2011
    It'll be funny if white student scores go up and nothing happens to black students scores...
  • CrownChakra
    CrownChakra Members Posts: 351
    edited January 2011

Jimmy cant write if Jimmy doesn't have a ? pencil.

Its easy for kids to work harder if they had more resources.

Parents blame schools, schools blame government, government blames parents.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    the american education system: Trying everything except demanding that the students work harder
    lol

• shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited January 2011

lol, but seriously how do all these ? approaches keep getting tried out in public schools. About 10 years ago where I grew up, the neighboring school district decided to take the advice of some new age ? theory that it would benefit the students if the classrooms didn't have walls, so they took out all the walls in the building and nobody could hear the teacher because of the noise from the other classrooms. They ended up having to lay off faculty in order to pay for putting the walls back in.
  • jackthemack
    jackthemack Members Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    shootemwon wrote: »
    lol, but seriously how do all these ? approaches keep getting tried out in public schools. About 10 years ago where I grew up, the neighboring school district decided to take the advice of some new age ? theory that it would benefit the students if the classrooms didn't have walls, so they took out all the walls in the building and nobody could hear the teacher because of the noise from the other classrooms. They ended up having to lay off faculty in order to pay for putting the walls back in.

Lmao what?! wtf kind of school was this?
  • shootemwon
    edited January 2011
    Lmao what?! wtf kind of school was this?

No joke bro. It's a public school in a small city with a majority black population. You would think they'd save that garbage for some hippy white kid private school, not a struggling inner city public school.
  • jackthemack
    jackthemack Members Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Lmao @ a school full of ? and they think no walls would be conducive to a better learning environment. You wouldn't be able to hear ? .
  • shootemwon
    edited January 2011
    Lmao @ a school full of ? and they think no walls would be conducive to a better learning environment. You wouldn't be able to hear ? .

The thing is some supposed expert must have been getting a paycheck to oversee this brilliant idea. I understand that for some of these inner city schools nothing seems to work and they're desperate for a solution, but "get rid of the walls" sounds like some LSD inspired ? .
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    shootemwon wrote: »

lol & wtf? Nah.......
  • shootemwon
    edited January 2011
    northside7 wrote: »
    lol & wtf? Nah.......

It might have been more than 10 years ago, I don't exactly remember, but it definitely happened.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited January 2011
    northside7 wrote: »
    They have an afrocentric school here in Toronto with an african curriculum instead of an euro one. Its not segregated, students of other ethnic backgrounds are welcomed.

what benefit does a student in North America get from learning the history of a culture that didn't lead to the one he actually lives in?

The history of western civilization informs any student IN THE WEST as to how he got there and why
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited January 2011
    seriously, what does an "afrocentric" education entail?

"well kids, we stopped inventing things in about 1000 BC, then we got taken over and shipped off. the end. oh wait, we also invented peanut butter."
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited January 2011
    Jimmy cant write if Jimmy doesn't have a ? pencil.

Its easy for kids to work harder if they had more resources.

Parents blame schools, schools blame government, government blames parents.

there is no school in the united states where "jimmy" is deprived of a pencil

even in the brokest districts, the kids go home after school and play video games

they don't take the initiative to walk to the library and reinforce their own education

I BLAME THE CHILDREN
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Integration was a huge mistake for black folks. Didnt read the topic, just felt like saying that.

once and again. because of martin luther king jr. ? will be ? up until they realize they need to just go back to segregation and do for self. once blacks do that maybe they will actually become something instead of having a "dream".
  • PLASTIC RULES
    PLASTIC RULES Members Posts: 1,535 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    seriously, what does an "afrocentric" education entail?

"well kids, we stopped inventing things in about 1000 BC, then we got taken over and shipped off. the end. oh wait, we also invented peanut butter."

probably expounds on the facc that the Greeks stole everything they knew from blacc civilizations and then tried to pass it off as their own.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited January 2011
    probably expounds on the facc that the Greeks stole everything they knew from blacc civilizations and then tried to pass it off as their own.

well, considering that isn't actually true, i don't think it would be taught in a Canadian school of any kind
  • PLASTIC RULES
    PLASTIC RULES Members Posts: 1,535 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    well, considering that isn't actually true, i don't think it would be taught in a Canadian school of any kind

its true ? . any eurocentric education will tell you it was some Greek boy-molester that invented X, when in facc they stole it. (eg. the "Pythagorean" theorem)
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited January 2011
    yeah, like i said, that's not actually true

i understand that you're just going to parrot what somebody told you, but the fact is that cultures can't "steal everything they know" from anybody