New York Times had an Article on Multiracial People

Options
thehonorable
thehonorable Members Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2011 in For The Grown & Sexy
As read on my Kindle.

A lot of it was based on having thier own box on the census, and a few were mad at obama becuase he said he was black...

Anywho...

What do you people think about those people who are of mixed race.

I know there are some of you on here that created multiracial children. Should they be thier own catagory?

Comments

• bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    they're mixed, not black, dammit.

that would go for a large percent of black americans then...
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    that would go for a large percent of black americans then...

And whites

But ummm they are referring to the biological parents not a persons entire lineage

At this point, I think there should be a biracial box, but I think ? would get messy and complicated by doing so

And I think Obama should identify himself as biracial, but then i remember his age and generation, and no one his age identifies themselves as that

People forget that when he was growing there was no biracial discussions happening

So it makes sense that he would identify himself as black .
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited January 2011
    Options
    As read on my Kindle.

A lot of it was based on having thier own box on the census, and a few were mad at obama becuase he said he was black...

Anywho...

What do you people think about those people who are of mixed race.

I know there are some of you on here that created multiracial children. Should they be thier own catagory?

it'd be way too complicated...there's too many "mixtures" and when you add on different cultures and the way America does race is ? anyway to ever get it right
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    my fiance is mixed..

white momma black daddy....she always been black...except when she went to a HBCU she was white to get that minority scholarship.....but yea she black...
  • death187sin
    death187sin Members Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I think they should have their own box to check that says 'Bi-or-Multi Racial. But that's about it. My son is bi-racial. Most people don't think about the little differences in how a bi-racial kid needs to be raised. But I guess that's a whole other thread.
  • haute
    edited January 2011
    Options
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    intresting. White mother's fought for their childs black identiy.
    aka "I'll be damned if you only identify yourself by your deadbeat black ass daddy"

yo scorned ? are so ? productive once they zero in on their target
  • thehonorable
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Read the article?
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    My kid is black
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    in the end will all this really matter though
  • thehonorable
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Really does anything really matter...
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options

the ultimate question of mankind
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options

Nope not at all
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    lol@ y'all mad at obama, he's black ? y'all, dude daddy from kenya and seeked out and destroyed some white ? , it don't get 2 much more niggardly than that.

i know this american latina who got kids with a ? , she says her kids r black

i know this latina(that still lives in her country) who got kids with a ? and she says they latino...

it is whatever them kids wanna identify with basically cause they gonna go through bs growing up regardless.
  • blackdemo
    blackdemo Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    NO. if ur mixed ur black, why? becuz if a mulatto dude was in a all white neighborhood everyone would kno him as the black kid...same dude in a black neighborhood everybody would still consider him black but lightskinned.

Obama aint the first mulatto president, hes the first BLACK president, yall ? ? need to figure this out. yes, technically they mixed but sadly in our society white people will NEVER...EVER accept u for bein mixed, so stop it
  • haute
    edited January 2011
    Options
    blackdemo wrote: »
    NO. if ur mixed ur black, why? becuz if a mulatto dude was in a all white neighborhood everyone would kno him as the black kid...same dude in a black neighborhood everybody would still consider him black but lightskinned.

Obama aint the first mulatto president, hes the first BLACK president, yall ? ? need to figure this out. yes, technically they mixed but sadly in our society white people will NEVER...EVER accept u for bein mixed, so stop it

so we want to teach our kids to define themselves by how others perceive them???

and how is identifying yourself by what you are trying to get acceptance from white people?

Simply accepting whatever label whites or blacks give you, even when they aren't entirely true, is far worse IMO

• usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    LOL if Obama wasn't known as Obama and walked through any white neighborhood down here in West Palm Beach, better believe white people would say a N word was hanging around in our neighborhood. I don't want to hear that biracial nonsense, race is a social construct and people generally view biracial people as black due to their features (hair, lips, and nose).

What did Derek Jeter say, he view himself as black because one day he walked out a restaurant and two white dudes called him niggur even though he is biracial.

Plus if you want to play that biracial card, we all are biracial for the most part from all the mixing up during slavery and what not.
  • thehonorable
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Obama isn't the first biracial president.
  • blackdemo
    edited January 2011
    Options
    haute wrote: »
    so we want to teach our kids to define themselves by how others perceive them???

and how is identifying yourself by what you are trying to get acceptance from white people?

Simply accepting whatever label whites or blacks give you, even when they aren't entirely true, is far worse IMO

I dont have to teach anything...my son is mulatto but he gon learn quick that he alway gon be in the same category as anyone who black n im sure when he grows up hes gonna identify himself as black jus like any other mixed dude, I live in the real world, thats the way it is, n thats the way it'll always be. lol @ u not takin accepttance seriously, yes i kno ur not suppose to give a ? about what other think n blah blah blah, but truth of the matter is if u was mullato in a white neigborhood n everybody sees u as a outcast u gonna wanna hang out with ur own people. but to each his own tho, im jus sayin that 50% of black will be on somebody for the rest of they lives.
  • blackdemo
    edited January 2011
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    LOL if Obama wasn't known as Obama and walked through any white neighborhood down here in West Palm Beach, better believe white people would say a N word was hanging around in our neighborhood. I don't want to hear that biracial nonsense, race is a social construct and people generally view biracial people as black due to their features (hair, lips, and nose).

What did Derek Jeter say, he view himself as black because one day he walked out a restaurant and two white dudes called him niggur even though he is biracial.

Plus if you want to play that biracial card, we all are biracial for the most part from all the mixing up during slavery and what not.

Exactly my point. ? always tryin to be technical bout something
  • thehonorable
    edited January 2011
    Options
    That one drop rule is in full effect in america.

Honestly.
  • haute
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I dont have to teach anything...my son is mulatto but he gon learn quick that he alway gon be in the same category as anyone who black n im sure when he grows up hes gonna identify himself as black jus like any other mixed dude, I live in the real world, thats the way it is, n thats the way it'll always be. lol @ u not takin accepttance seriously, yes i kno ur not suppose to give a ? about what other think n blah blah blah, but truth of the matter is if u was mullato in a white neigborhood n everybody sees u as a outcast u gonna wanna hang out with ur own people. but to each his own tho, im jus sayin that 50% of black will be on somebody for the rest of they lives.

sweetie in the real world

you define yourself no one else

but if it makes you more comfortable to please others then fine do you

but I know plenty biracial people who identify themselves as biracial and they get along just fine

but then again they don't spend their time looking for the acceptance from world who doesn't give a ? about them anyway *shrugs*
  • blackdemo
    edited January 2011
    Options
    haute wrote: »
    sweetie in the real world

you define yourself no one else

but if it makes you more comfortable to please others then fine do you

but I know plenty biracial people who identify themselves as biracial and they get along just fine

but then again they don't spend their time looking for the acceptance from world who doesn't give a ? about them anyway *shrugs*

yea well i said what i had to say, if u dont wanna understand my point thats u, point is in america if u mixed u black everybody knows this its everyday life. So like i said to each his own u got ur views i got mine
  • G Mack
    G Mack Members Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options

^^^^

? what a ignorant motherfkker thinks....if they want to identify you shouldnt force them to pick one or the other
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited January 2011
    Options
    yea well i said what i had to say, if u dont wanna understand my point thats u, point is in america if u mixed u black everybody knows this its everyday life. So like i said to each his own u got ur views i got mine

you do know there's more mixture than just black and white right? and Haute is right...yeah physical features may determine what someone is seen socially but to say that someone should only identify themselves by just one side of their heritage is stupid...they have all the rights to embrace and talk about both or all parts of their heritage...