• thehonorable
    thehonorable Members Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    I think there are 5 races

White
    Black or African American.
    American Indian / Alaska Native.
    Asian
    Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander.
  • thehonorable
    edited January 2011
    Kay. wrote: »
    I'd add Arab and south-east Asian.

Not races according to the census.

Arab would go under white believe it or not. I believe it. They ? africa just as much as the europeans. They share that ancestry.
  • Conscious__Nkechi
    Conscious__Nkechi Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    blackdemo wrote: »
    NO. if ur mixed ur black, why? becuz if a mulatto dude was in a all white neighborhood everyone would kno him as the black kid...same dude in a black neighborhood everybody would still consider him black but lightskinned.

Obama aint the first mulatto president, hes the first BLACK president, yall ? ? need to figure this out. yes, technically they mixed but sadly in our society white people will NEVER...EVER accept u for bein mixed, so stop it
    Some folks really believe we have come a lot further than we actually have. The one drop rule still applies in our society.
    With that said, how an individual personally identifies themselves will depend on their upbringing and environment.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited January 2011
    That doesn't make sense :/
    Also, what about latinos?

in America...I'm hispanic, not black, not mixed just hispanic...if I have a child with a black american woman that child would be considered bi-racial regardless of how I personally define myself...
  • sonofliberty
    sonofliberty Members Posts: 501
    edited February 2011
    blackrain wrote: »
    in America...I'm hispanic, not black, not mixed just hispanic...if I have a child with a black american woman that child would be considered bi-racial regardless of how I personally define myself...

hispanic isn't a race, more like ethnicity.....atleast thats what I've seen on forms lately
    Some folks really believe we have come a lot further than we actually have. The one drop rule still applies in our society.
    With that said, how an individual personally identifies themselves will depend on their upbringing and environment.

True true. IMO, Black America still holds on to the one drop rule like we still hold on to ? . ? done made lemonade outta lemons and now they trying to take the lemons away. Knowing how history played out why the hell would I want to acknowledge my oppressor as part of my identity. Even though that was decades ago the sentiments haven't changed much in America.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    LOL if Obama wasn't known as Obama and walked through any white neighborhood down here in West Palm Beach, better believe white people would say a N word was hanging around in our neighborhood. I don't want to hear that biracial nonsense, race is a social construct and people generally view biracial people as black due to their features (hair, lips, and nose).

What did Derek Jeter say, he view himself as black because one day he walked out a restaurant and two white dudes called him niggur even though he is biracial.

Plus if you want to play that biracial card, we all are biracial for the most part from all the mixing up during slavery and what not.

thank you. couldn't have said this any better. this post is sooooo true. white folks especially don't acknowledge pres. obama as one of them. and he does acknowledge his white side. hell, he himself have said multiple times how his mother and grandparents raised him. he talks more about them, than his kenya side. so wtf is y'all talkin about?? pay attention.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Here we go with this ? . Scientifically we're ALL mixed. Doesnt matter who your parents are because they're mixed too. Socially you are ONE ? race.

All these crackers saying Obama is MIXED RACE would shiver and sprint the other way clutching their purses and sweating bullets if you put a hoodie on his black ass and sent him walking through Beverly Hills.

Stand Obama's black ass next to a car in jeans and a Wu-Tang shirt just far enough away so ppl know he's black but dont know its him. And lets all listen to the 9-1-1 tapes that surface afterwards.

? : Uh hello? Uh yes, there's a person of mixed heritage standing next to my vehicle.

Operator: MmmKay? What's the emergency sir.

? : Welll he he appears to be of African-American and White heritage so I'm only half afraid. Could you send a car just in case?
    Its probably nothing though. I mean he does have "good hurr."

DO U THINK THE CONVO GOES LIKE THAT? HELL NO.

? : THERE'S A ? NIG
    GER NEXT TO MY CAR AND HE'S ABOUT TO STEAL IT! GET HERE QUICK!

This is yet another attempt for crackers to devalue anything that even APPEARS to be positive for blacks. Watch in 30 something years we gonna see a commercial that says, "He came in a time when his country most needed him. Born of a single mother and raised by his white grandparents.......in KENYA, he rose to defy the Constitution and become the first foriegn born president of the United States of America....JUSTIN BEIBER IS.............BARRY."

*Yes Barry. Barack is too black.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    edited February 2011
    Darxwell wrote: »
    Here we go with this ? . Scientifically we're ALL mixed. Doesnt matter who your parents are because they're mixed too. Socially you are ONE ? race.

All these crackers saying Obama is MIXED RACE would shiver and sprint the other way clutching their purses and sweating bullets if you put a hoodie on his black ass and sent him walking through Beverly Hills.

Stand Obama's black ass next to a car in a hoodie just far enough away so ppl know he's black but dont know its him. And lets all listen to the 9-1-1 tape.

? : Uh hello? Uh yes, there's a person of mixed heritage standing next to my vehicle.

? : Welll he he appears mixed but I dont know with what so I'm only half afraid. Could you send a car just in case?
    Its probably nothing though. I mean he does have "good hurr"

This is yet another attempt for crackers to devalue anything that even APPEARS to be positive for blacks. Watch in 30 something years we gonna see a commercial that says, "He came in a time when his country most needed him. Born of a single mother and raised by his white grandparents.......in KENYA, he rose to defy the Constitution and become the first foriegn born president of the United States of America....JUSTIN BEIBER IS.............BARRY."

__________________________________________________________*dead*

lmao!!!!
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    LOL if Obama wasn't known as Obama and walked through any white neighborhood down here in West Palm Beach, better believe white people would say a N word was hanging around in our neighborhood. I don't want to hear that biracial nonsense, race is a social construct and people generally view biracial people as black due to their features (hair, lips, and nose).

What did Derek Jeter say, he view himself as black because one day he walked out a restaurant and two white dudes called him niggur even though he is biracial.

Plus if you want to play that biracial card, we all are biracial for the most part from all the mixing up during slavery and what not.

At work right now,
    But I’m gon try to find the 60 Mins interview from 08 where the reporter asked Obama about his racial appearance and he straight up said if he was to walk into any barber shop in the US he’ll be just another black guy getting a haircut and probably will be stopped if he was seen in the “wrong” neighborhood in certain parts of town.

In America is racism is simple as black & white (pun intended)

If you look black….you black

If you look white…you white.

The ignorance of American racism extends beyond the mingling between blacks and whites. A brother I worked with here, use to refer to my old supervisor as Bosnian . I try to explain that nah he was from Turkey. Homeboy was I don’t give a ? , they one and the same to me

I was like 0002yp4p.gif
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    darkone360 wrote: »
    __________________________________________________________*dead*

lmao!!!!
    Im only half joking.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    sounds like factual account to me
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    edited February 2011
    Im only half joking.

well ? i'm still laughing b/c it's true.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    **pours half can of pepsi and half can of sprite into a glass, wonders y my bi-flavor soda still looks like a ni..... pepsi** lmao

I do realize the running theme here is what "whites think" though, and because other countries might not have as much krakkers there to influence their thinking, people might see themselves as different (latinos) even though they're still mixed the same in some instances. but the ? gene is dominant n e way, its not like your going to look at blake griffin and think he's white.

and as much ? as a bi-racial child goes through as a kid, they can still claim black and be largely accepted as such(providing they r famous enough) but there is no way in hell a bi-racial child can even claim being white and'll be accepted.....? wont ever happen. unless u r lincoln
  • Conscious__Nkechi
    edited February 2011

Stand Obama's black ass next to a car in jeans and a Wu-Tang shirt just far enough away so ppl know he's black but dont know its him. And lets all listen to the 9-1-1 tapes that surface afterwards.

? : Welll he he appears to be of African-American and White heritage so I'm only half afraid. Could you send a car just in case?
    Its probably nothing though. I mean he does have "good hurr."

When he won the election white folks would claim him, some would get ? to hear him referred to as a black man but whenever Obama screws up, he's back to being pure N*****.
  • Conscious__Nkechi
    edited February 2011
    gns wrote: »
    **pours half can of pepsi and half can of sprite into a glass, wonders y my bi-flavor soda still looks like a ni..... pepsi** lmao

I do realize the running theme here is what "whites think" though, and because other countries might not have as much krakkers there to influence their thinking, people might see themselves as different (latinos) even though they're still mixed the same in some instances. but the ? gene is dominant n e way, its not like your going to look at blake griffin and think he's white.

and as much ? as a bi-racial child goes through as a kid, they can still claim black and be largely accepted as such(providing they r famous enough) but there is no way in hell a bi-racial child can even claim being white and'll be accepted.....? wont ever happen. unless u r lincoln

True. While black and white are not the only mixes I think the focus on this particular mix is probably because it is the most controversial.
    There are many white parents who raise their own baby as black women/men. They are not denying any part of them but identifying what is natural to them.
    It only gets confusing when society tries to force their lack of understanding on a mixed child who tends to identify more so with just one half of their heritage.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited February 2011
    hispanic isn't a race, more like ethnicity.....atleast thats what I've seen on forms lately

True true. IMO, Black America still holds on to the one drop rule like we still hold on to ? . ? done made lemonade outta lemons and now they trying to take the lemons away. Knowing how history played out why the hell would I want to acknowledge my oppressor as part of my identity. Even though that was decades ago the sentiments haven't changed much in America.

it's listed as a race on some stuff, the last census with all the options for what ethnicity you are is just for technical purposes because people got tired of being grouped in as mexicans, puerto ricans, then etc...but we are still seen racially as being hispanic

@Darc...most people would be suspicious of somebody walking through their neighborhood they don't know in a hoodie looking suspect...that's not just for white people
  • thehonorable
    edited February 2011
    That doesn't make sense :/
    Also, what about latinos?

Latino is an ethnicity. Not a race.
  • shtoopid
    shtoopid Members Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    race is nothing more than looks and other superficial characteristics. unless you from a cave in africa, chances are you got some cracka in you
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    intresting. White mother's fought for their childs black identiy.

slept on post.

So it took WHITE mothers fighting for their childs black identity

Me wonders......what if it were a BLACK mother fighting for their white childs identity
  • bless the child
    bless the child Members Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    What the ? is mixed?
  • TheGambinoLegacy
    TheGambinoLegacy Members Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    let them have their own country. they deserve it.
  • bless the child
    bless the child Members Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    shtoopid wrote: »
    race is nothing more than looks and other superficial characteristics. unless you from a cave in africa, chances are you got some cracka in you

I'd say every cracka has some African in them, not the other way around.
  • CMac
    CMac Members Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    America is full of mixed people so it don't really matter to me. You are the race you look like the most and that's it. Like Obama he's half white but looks like a black man so he's black plain and simple.

As for mixed people in general, there cool to me and I treat them as anyone else I'm not big on race as long as the person acts cool with me then it's all good.