What makes an Album a Classic?

Options

Comments

• Hatter
    Hatter Members Posts: 2,451 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    albums always start off as regional classics then (if its good enough) branch out over time, RD and Illmatic both started off as regional classics, but over time more and more people have heard them and now they are just...classics thats where the whole time frame for a classic comes into play.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    ocelot wrote: »
    the most important factor... today albums are sounding like 12 singles

corrected that for you!!!!!!!!!
  • innercity99
    innercity99 Members Posts: 892
    edited January 2011
    Options
    aw well id say since its personal..? like impact doesnt matter at all, at least not to me..

id say replay value, and i wouldnt say u necessarily have to be the greatest lyrically, but all of the songs must be at least 7/10..

its gotta flow together perfectly..

an album where u skip 1 or less songs..

Ok u make a good point cause people say how the album has to be unskippable but even classic albums in my opinion have a weak song or maybe to but do u look past it if the other songs are great to perfect? Like people say AEOM was a classic but there were atleast 3 skippable tracks on there so do ? say well the other joints give them bad joints a pass?
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »

yea theres some truth in that definitely..
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Nope, how can a album have an impact if the world hasn't heard it. When i think of a classic i think it goes hand in hand with a movement or legendary rapper, that drastically changed the music scene.

There is a difference between a classic album and a 5/5 mic album to me.

give an example...

and can album be a classic without being a 5/5?

cause ? keep saying AEOM
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Ok u make a good point cause people say how the album has to be unskippable but even classic albums in my opinion have a weak song or maybe to but do u look past it if the other songs are great to perfect? Like people say AEOM was a classic but there were atleast 3 skippable tracks on there so do ? say well the other joints give them bad joints a pass?

i do that sometimes...
  • Hatter
    edited January 2011
    Options

3 skipped tracks? naw that aint no classic, dope album maybe but classic? no, i will agree with id let one song slide there is always that chick track or club banger that got wore out during the albums realease that you probably dont care to listen though again.
  • usmarin3
    edited January 2011
    Options
    gave an example...

and can album be a classic without being a 5/5?

cause ? keep saying AEOM

A long hot summer - Master Ace (5/5)
    The Chronic - Dr Dre (classic)
  • #sneakerhead
    #sneakerhead Members Posts: 665
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Ok so do u think illmatic is a classic? Based off ur opinion on what a classic is?

im assuming u talking bout an album being "outdated"....i was wondering should i have left that part out...but 99.9% of the albums i consider classics dont sound outdated....of course illmatic being the 00.1%....so just 4get i said outdated...haha. a classic is just one of those albums u can listen to.....and every time is like the first time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • NICKY P
    NICKY P Members Posts: 269
    edited January 2011
    Options
    sumone could put an album out for free, it can be classic
  • ocelot
    edited January 2011
    Options

but maybe 12 singles are the new classics for todays era... sort of like comedy... you got to say 12 punchline jokes in less than 5 mins to hold the crowds attention
    not everyone can tell stories like Richard Pryor or Jamie Foxx...
  • innercity99
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Nope, how can a album have an impact if the world hasn't heard it. When i think of a classic i think it goes hand in hand with a movement or legendary rapper, that drastically changed the music scene.

There is a difference between a classic album and a 5/5 mic album to me.

Ok u nake a good point but u know now adays ? download so what if everybody heard the album they just ain't go by it I mean every artist can't have a strong and loyal fan base like say jay and em cause it seems like everybody knows about ross and the ? is as popular as ever but the ? has never even gone platinum b4

And u mind explaining the difference between a classic and a 5/5 mic album lls
  • Hatter
    edited January 2011
    Options
    NICKY P wrote: »
    sumone could put an album out for free, it can be classic

lol ? what?
  • innercity99
    edited January 2011
    Options
    the most important factor... today albums are sounding like mixtapes

C/s 1000%......
  • innercity99
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Hatter wrote: »
    albums always start off as regional classics then (if its good enough) branch out over time, RD and Illmatic both started off as regional classics, but over time more and more people have heard them and now they are just...classics thats where the whole time frame for a classic comes into play.

Ok so a album can only be a classic if its heard and loved worldwide? What. If the music is great but ? just hasn't gotten around to listening to it or just doesn't wanna give the artist there time??
  • usmarin3
    edited January 2011
    Options
    but maybe 12 singles are the new classics for todays era... sort of like comedy... you got to say 12 punchline jokes in less than 5 mins to hold the crowds attention
    not everyone can tell stories like Richard Pryor or Jamie Foxx...

The album still has to have one flow and the songs have to tie into each other, for example OFF THE WALL and THRILLER, every song was single material but the albums still had continuity.
  • innercity99
    edited January 2011
    Options

Lmao I think that's more the record company then the artist though
  • ocelot
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Kanye is the biggest problem with me...

if I look at him as a rapper like he wants me to do then I cant call CD a classic...
    but I look at him as a artist then he can have it easily...
    from 03 to now im still split on calling it a classic or not
  • innercity99
    edited January 2011
    Options
    3 skipped tracks? naw that aint no classic, dope album maybe but classic? no, i will agree with id let one song slide there is always that chick track or club banger that got wore out during the albums realease that you probably dont care to listen though again.

Iight so what if 3 skippable out of 27 tracks?
  • Hatter
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Ok so a album can only be a classic if its heard and loved worldwide? What. If the music is great but ? just hasn't gotten around to listening to it or just doesn't wanna give the artist there time??

then its not really a classic just a great underrated album, it might be a personal classic to alot of people though a good example of this is

Royce-Death is certain
    or
    Masta ace-A long hot summer.
  • Hatter
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Iight so what if 3 skippable out of 27 tracks?

damn 27 tracks!? lol i aint seen a album like that in a min but it will all depend on how wack those 3 tracks were, 3 skipped tracks are still alot on a classic album IMO
  • innercity99
    edited January 2011
    Options
    im assuming u talking bout an album being "outdated"....i was wondering should i have left that part out...but 99.9% of the albums i consider classics dont sound outdated....of course illmatic being the 00.1%....so just 4get i said outdated...haha. a classic is just one of those albums u can listen to.....and every time is like the first time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lls yea that's exactly what I was talking bout but iight I feel what u sayin though
  • usmarin3
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Ok u nake a good point but u know now adays ? download so what if everybody heard the album they just ain't go by it I mean every artist can't have a strong and loyal fan base like say jay and em cause it seems like everybody knows about ross and the ? is as popular as ever but the ? has never even gone platinum b4

And u mind explaining the difference between a classic and a 5/5 mic album lls

If you look at all the truly classic albums, they all have sold atleast gold and found someway to cross over and transcend the genre. Even the albums who started out not selling alot the first week, they manage to still transcend.

a 5/5 is conceptually perfect but i never transcended the art form, where it marked a time line in rap and a classic album is conceptually perfect and marked a time line.

If you can't say i remember when COLLEGE DROPOUT dropped or Nas ? the game up, then it's not a classic to me.
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Graduation was a classic to me but i skipped 2 songs tho..
  • ocelot
    edited January 2011
    Options
    then its not really a classic just a great underrated album, it might be a personal classic to alot of people though a good example of this is

Royce-Death is certain
    or
    Masta ace-A long hot summer.

then Royce can have the Jay Z effect with RD if Royce was to ever truly blow...
    because Royce influenced a lot of Midwest ? including Em

and what about UGK.. Riding ? was a classic but was very underrated till the early 00s