What makes an Album a Classic?

13»

Comments

• innercity99
    innercity99 Members Posts: 892
    edited January 2011
    NICKY P wrote: »
    sumone could put an album out for free, it can be classic

I was thinking that cause if the music is great then its great just everybody dont appeal to the masses but can't still make music those that do hear it feel its a masterpiece
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Lmao I think that's more the record company then the artist though

You really think a record label can tell Lil Wayne what to put on his album or even a Kanye. These ? put out 808 some ? singing albums for ? sakes
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Graduation was a classic to me but i skipped 2 songs tho..

Graduation was great to me... but Barry Bonds, Drunken hot girls, and Homecoming doesnt do it for me... it sounds out of place to me
  • Hatter
    Hatter Members Posts: 2,451 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    ocelot wrote: »
    then Royce can have the Jay Z effect with RD if Royce was to ever truly blow...
    because Royce influenced a lot of Midwest ? including Em

and what about UGK.. Riding ? was a classic but was very underrated till the early 00s

this is all true.
  • innercity99
    edited January 2011
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    The album still has to have one flow and the songs have to tie into each other, for example OFF THE WALL and THRILLER, every song was single material but the albums still had continuity.

Wow great point cause thriller had like 8 singles
  • innercity99
    edited January 2011
    Kanye is the biggest problem with me...

if I look at him as a rapper like he wants me to do then I cant call CD a classic...
    but I look at him as a artist then he can have it easily...
    from 03 to now im still split on calling it a classic or not

Good point cause Kanye is GREAT artist from production to content to singles star appeal but he's a decent rapper
  • ocelot
    edited January 2011
    but albums like Thriller is a classic because of the songs yes but the 1million dollar videos carried it... also Motown 25 with him moonwalkin to billie jean made it a classic before the ablum even came out...
    Thiller being a bigger than life album made it a classic to me
  • innercity99
    edited January 2011
    Hatter wrote: »
    then its not really a classic just a great underrated album, it might be a personal classic to alot of people though a good example of this is

Royce-Death is certain
    or
    Masta ace-A long hot summer.

Ok well those are 2 albums I have never heard but im guessing by me saying this is proving ur point though so I get what u sayin
  • ocelot
    edited January 2011
    Good point cause Kanye is GREAT artist from production to content to singles star appeal but he's a decent rapper

kanye is a double edge sword to me... i guess i would have to wait till the end of his career to judge him... because if the ? was to only focus on being the Quincey Jones of this rap game
    then we would couldve really have our Hip Hop Thriller... but if he didnt rap then we wouldnt have songs like Jesus Walk and Diamonds from Sierra Leon
  • innercity99
    edited January 2011
    Hatter wrote: »
    damn 27 tracks!? lol i aint seen a album like that in a min but it will all depend on how wack those 3 tracks were, 3 skipped tracks are still alot on a classic album IMO

Lls all eyes on me had 27 tracks on it it was a double cd of cource and it had like 3-5 skippable tracks but almost everyone calls it a classic
  • usmarin3
    edited January 2011
    Real talk though, i think the best method to judge a true classic is using the hiphop timeline method. If you go back the 30 years of this hiphop ? and plot the vital moments, artists, singles, and albums that pushed the music artistically, then it's a classic imo. If you were to remove a album how would it affect rap!
  • innercity99
    edited January 2011
    If you look at all the truly classic albums, they all have sold atleast gold and found someway to cross over and transcend the genre. Even the albums who started out not selling alot the first week, they manage to still transcend.

a 5/5 is conceptually perfect but i never transcended the art form, where it marked a time line in rap and a classic album is conceptually perfect and marked a time line.

If you can't say i remember when COLLEGE DROPOUT dropped or Nas ? the game up, then it's not a classic to me.

Iight I get what u sayin... so how about classics like college dropout that had a horrible song like workout plan or marshall mathers LP that had the real slim shady do u bypass those tracks and look at the album as an whole?
  • ocelot
    edited January 2011
    Real talk though, i think the best method to judge a true classic is using the hiphop timeline method. If you go back the 30 years of this hiphop ? and plot the vital moments, artists, singles, and albums that pushed the music artistically, then it's a classic imo. If you were to remove a album how would it affect rap!

true.. would ablums like The Minstrel Show or MadVilliany count... because even though its not a Chronic or Paid in Full,
    those albums are classics that get over looked... I wouldve never got into Little Brother or Doom if it wasnt for the IC...
    people is Cali are not really checkin for them
  • usmarin3
    edited January 2011
    true.. would ablums like The Minstrel Show or MadVilliany count... because even though its not a Chronic or Paid in Full,
    those albums are classics that get over looked... I wouldve never got into Little Brother or Doom if it wasnt for the IC...

A classic doesn't get overlooked imo, it finds someway to transcend. Neither of those albums you listed are classics to me!
  • usmarin3
    edited January 2011
    Iight I get what u sayin... so how about classics like college dropout that had a horrible song like workout plan or marshall mathers LP that had the real slim shady do u bypass those tracks and look at the album as an whole?

I don't think a album has to have be completely flawless to be a classic!
  • innercity99
    edited January 2011
    kanye is a double edge sword to me... i guess i would have to wait till the end of his career to judge him... because if the ? was to only focus on being the Quincey Jones of this rap game
    then we would couldve really have our Hip Hop Thriller... but if he didnt rap then we wouldnt have songs like Jesus Walk and Diamonds from Sierra Leon

Yea I think Kanye the Artist is a gift and a curse cause like u said we get songs like Jesus Walks and Diamonds but then he tries to push the envelope to far and we get something like 808 Heartbreaks though heartless and amazen was my ? but overall that album didn't meet the standards his fans expect from him
  • Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011

Great albums... but they didn't really affect the plain of hip hop imo. Mad underrated though........ Of course the whole classic album thing is objective too...
  • ocelot
    edited January 2011
    A classic doesn't get overlooked imo, it finds someway to transcend. Neither of those albums you listed are classics to me!

ok but if Jay Z would have never blew then the Source would have never went back to give it a 5... If UGK never blew then Ridin ? never would be to the world what it is today

the same can be said for Little Brother... because if you check the reviews they are all damn near perfect and LB influenced the rap game... esp people like Kanye
  • innercity99
    edited January 2011

Ok so with that being said an album like the black album I believe is a classic but if u removed it from the rap time line im not sure it would be missed besides from it supposedly being jay's retirement album
  • ocelot
    edited January 2011
    Great albums... but they didn't really affect the plain of hip hop imo. Mad underrated though........ Of course the whole classic album thing is objective too...

understood... but can we say them same for Mos Def Black on Both Side
  • Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    understood... but can we say them same for Mos Def Black on Both Side

again... Great album, wouldnt mind if you put it as one of your favorite albums, but classics got that, i unno punch to them. Sometimes its beyond the music imo.