Is a Person's Sense of Humor a Mark of Intelligence?

Options

Comments

• MAKAVELI25
    MAKAVELI25 Members Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Haha I watch alternative comedy so I am smart.

Na, man, I didn't mean it in an elitist way. I'm just saying that I usually find people who are fans of "gag-humor" entertainment to not be as engaging in conversation.
  • lighthearted25
    lighthearted25 Members Posts: 1,307
    edited January 2011
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    I tried watching that movie like 3 times...could never make it through without wanting to ? myself...I was that bored...i don't get the House of Payne show either...but I find humor in weird ? ...like to me Intervention on A&E is hilarious...Beyond Scared Straight has made me laugh more than any show I've seen in months...

thats how i am. i can watch teen mom and lol the entire show or intervention like u said. i like watching serious things that can make me laugh.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i've noticed that the people who can't take a joke are always the dumb ones

which explains why people catch feelings on the IC every day
  • MAKAVELI25
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i've noticed that the people who can't take a joke are always the dumb ones

which explains why people catch feelings on the IC every day

Lol, you're a funny mother ? . Are you funny in real life?
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    MAKAVELI25 wrote: »
    Lol, you're a funny mother ? . Are you funny in real life?

no ? at asking a dude this type of question
  • MAKAVELI25
    edited January 2011
    Options
    no ? at asking a dude this type of question

You're right, but you seem like the kind of awkward dude whose humor wouldn't translate away from the internet
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    yea I be watching Frasier lol
  • thehonorable
    thehonorable Members Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    ktulu is the weird kid in the back of the class. he can be funny at times but I doubt it translates of the interwebs.
  • RebelliousIntrovert
    RebelliousIntrovert Members Posts: 214
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I find humor in Lewis Black, Seinfeld, Aziz Ansari, 30 Rock, Parks & Rec, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Arrested Development, Always Sunny In Philadelphia, The Office, The Colbert Show, movies like The Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Aquatic W/ Steve Zizzou & Quentin Tarentino & Monty Python movies. But I also find humor in Chris Rock, Paul Mooney & Richard Pryor, & then on the other hand Dave Chappelle is hilarious, so it just depends on the delivery & package. I just don't like all the slapstick, same joke telling comedians (Lil Duval, Katt Williams, Kevin Hart), I like when they make more intelligent observations & have well polished & sculpted jokes. I also find humor in human misfortune.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited January 2011
    Options
    thats how i am. i can watch teen mom and lol the entire show or intervention like u said. i like watching serious things that can make me laugh.

the episode of Intervention with the guy from City High...when they brought him in the room and he figured out what was going on and just straight took the entire water bottle full of vodka he had like a shot I was laughing like hell...I watched that ? on On Demand and hit the rewind button like 3 times
  • lighthearted25
    lighthearted25 Members Posts: 1,307
    edited January 2011
    Options
    the episode of Intervention with the guy from City High...when they brought him in the room and he figured out what was going on and just straight took the entire water bottle full of vodka he had like a shot I was laughing like hell...I watched that ? on On Demand and hit the rewind button like 3 times

yeah that was hilarious, and the funniest(and saddest) part was him watching youtube videos of himself back in the day while his girl was tryna sleep, and i think he might have even been singing along while chuggin vodka lol
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    doubletee wrote: »
    I know alot of ? ppl who are funny as hell though.

funny because they are "dumb" or because of their razor sharp wit and sense of timing
  • a.mann
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Personally I enjoy “dark” comedy, things that are not suppose to be funny
    No not the tragedy misfortune of people, never found amusement people suffering . well depends, either way I’m not sadistic in the least

But “ironic” humor, gets me every time.

A perfect explain of what I conserider “funny” is the deep underline humor of the Stars Network show Spartacus, especially the character Baitius and The Cobert Report on Comdey Central
  • think
    think Members Posts: 687
    edited January 2011
    Options
    My humor is dark as well. It's like my jokes are the things that people are afraid to say. Stuff out of the norm. I guess I always ponder these things.
  • jackthemack
    jackthemack Members Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    It depends on the type of humor. But humor is all about presence, timing and thinking on your feet. I think that requires a degree of awareness at least; not necessarily intelligence.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited February 2011
    Options
    yeah that was hilarious, and the funniest(and saddest) part was him watching youtube videos of himself back in the day while his girl was tryna sleep, and i think he might have even been singing along while chuggin vodka lol

i was watching another episode with my brother and his girl one day...some dude got so ? up one night he passed out on some train tracks and got hit by a train and had to get his leg amputated and him having to take pain killers for that made his addiction worse...as soon as he told that story I said "Stupid ? " and was laughing...my brother's girl was like "what the hell is funny about that" i said "I laugh when stupid people do stupid things" lol
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I find humor in Lewis Black, Seinfeld, Aziz Ansari, 30 Rock, Parks & Rec, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Arrested Development, Always Sunny In Philadelphia, The Office, The Colbert Show, movies like The Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Aquatic W/ Steve Zizzou & Quentin Tarentino & Monty Python movies. But I also find humor in Chris Rock, Paul Mooney & Richard Pryor, & then on the other hand Dave Chappelle is hilarious, so it just depends on the delivery & package. I just don't like all the slapstick, same joke telling comedians (Lil Duval, Katt Williams, Kevin Hart), I like when they make more intelligent observations & have well polished & sculpted jokes. I also find humor in human misfortune.

yo i ? with 90% of all the ? u wrote!!! Always Sunny In Philadelphia is my ? right now.. thats the funniest shot on TV IMO... but whats parks n rec?
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    yeah mayne it does
  • D-Marco
    D-Marco Members Posts: 4,308 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I definitely thinks its a sense of intelligence. I like dry wit, Colbert report(the fact that they pronounce it Cole-bear repore makes me laugh) and the Daily show. But I agree I dont think Loud Comics are funny(Steve Harvey, Aziz Ansari is terrible). But some ? you get(intellectually) you just dont find funny.

I think smart people can find slapstick funny, but its usually the dumb ones who ONLY get them basic comics. Thats why these ? tell generic ass jokes and it works.
  • a.mann
    edited February 2011
    Options
    It depends on the type of humor. But humor is all about presence, timing and thinking on your feet. I think that requires a degree of awareness at least; not necessarily intelligence.

IMO
    being aware is a big part of it

But “intelligence” is also perceiving, processing, utilizing information to a desire effect.

Some of the most intelligent people were also some of the sickest ? in the world.

J Edgar Hoover was considered highly intelligent.

But he also found amusement and solace in dressing like Shirley Temple

I find that funny
  • D-Marco
    D-Marco Members Posts: 4,308 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    there's certain ? I'll honestly question you for finding funny though...like for the life of me I cannot understand anyone who can find ? like ? , Borat, Napoleon Dynamite funny...

i agree all that ? is wack. I never got Napolean Dynamite. ? I can see why people laugh at that. Borat...never understood whazt was funny.

Always Sunny in PA is my ? tho. aint seen that ? in a minute.
  • sonofliberty
    sonofliberty Members Posts: 501
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I don't see how people watch Ice Cube movies. Excluding Friday part 1(classicmaterial), none of them others ? were funny. I'll be sitting and ? will be balling at the eyes watching Next Friday.
  • Conscious__Nkechi
    Conscious__Nkechi Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    there's certain ? I'll honestly question you for finding funny though...like for the life of me I cannot understand anyone who can find ? like ? , Borat, Napoleon Dynamite funny...

^^This.
    I love comedies but movies intended to be humorous which are actually funny are very far and few in between.
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    all i know is that i watched the first or 2nd complete season of Curb Your Enthuiasm, and that ? had a ? dyyyyyin.
    i was suprised as hell how funny that show is
  • jackthemack
    jackthemack Members Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Man I aint gon fake the funk. I like cheap humor. I like slapstick. I like dry wit. I like dark comedy. I am addicted to laughter. So I'm not gonna turn my nose up at any kind of comedy just cuz it isn't high brow material.