Is a Person's Sense of Humor a Mark of Intelligence?

Options

Comments

• Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Man I aint gon fake the funk. I like cheap humor. I like slapstick. I like dry wit. I like dark comedy. I am addicted to laughter. So I'm not gonna turn my nose up at any kind of comedy just cuz it isn't high brow material.

this.

and Yes... I laughed while watching House of Pain...(I know, I know) But I cant argue with my own conscious over what is an isnt funny.
  • thehonorable
    thehonorable Members Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I mean I guess everyone here is a Rhode Scholar. I mean you do watch The Daily show and get it...right.
  • MAKAVELI25
    MAKAVELI25 Members Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Man I aint gon fake the funk. I like cheap humor. I like slapstick. I like dry wit. I like dark comedy. I am addicted to laughter. So I'm not gonna turn my nose up at any kind of comedy just cuz it isn't high brow material.

This is the message I didn't want people to get from my thread. It's not about turning your nose up at humor, it's about not being impressed by easy humor. For instance, I can't watch shows like "The Wayans Bros" because I feel like I could write those. But Michael Scott (The Office) is what many would define as slapstick, but I find him hilarious.
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Zach Galifianakis is fuggin hilarious

and i feel like i would fit right in on the Office.
  • thehonorable
    edited February 2011
    Options
    MAKAVELI25 wrote: »
    This is the message I didn't want people to get from my thread. It's not about turning your nose up at humor, it's about not being impressed by easy humor. For instance, I can't watch shows like "The Wayans Bros" because I feel like I could write those. But Michael Scott (The Office) is what many would define as slapstick, but I find him hilarious.

? that the Wayans Bros was pretty funny b. Sounds like you turning your nose up mighty fast.

And real rap...since you could write it...

Where you doing stand up at? Where you consulting at? What you doin since you got that skill.

You ever been on stage B?
  • MAKAVELI25
    edited February 2011
    Options
    ? that the Wayans Bros was pretty funny b. Sounds like you turning your nose up mighty fast.

And real rap...since you could write it...

Where you doing stand up at? Where you consulting at? What you doin since you got that skill.

You ever been on stage B?

Smh @ you getting offended cuz the show was slapstick.

1. What does writing a show have to do with stand up? I never said I could do stand up, genius, did I? GTFOH

2. Yes I have been on stage

I never said anything bad about the Wayans bros themselves, I just meant the show was easy humor. How hard would it be to ask Marlon Wayans to make stupid faces or say something ? a few times an episode. Be honest, are you really WOWED by the comedic quality of the show?
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Well yeah, stupid people aren't very subtle or unconventional.
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options

1. What does writing a show have to do with stand up? I never said I could do stand up, genius, did I? GTFOH

I never said anything bad about the Wayans bros themselves, I just meant the show was easy humor. How hard would it be to ask Marlon Wayans to make stupid faces or say something ? a few times an episode. Be honest, are you really WOWED by the comedic quality of the show?

The Wayans bros was a descent show. Wasnt the best ever, but it was alot better than people gave it credit for.
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Perfect wrote: »
    Zach Galifianakis is fuggin hilarious

"due date" was one of the funniest movies that came out last year..dude is funny as hell
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    Personally I enjoy “dark” comedy, things that are not suppose to be funny
    No not the tragedy misfortune of people, never found amusement people suffering . well depends, either way I’m not sadistic in the least

But “ironic” humor, gets me every time.

A perfect explain of what I conserider “funny” is the deep underline humor of the Stars Network show Spartacus, especially the character Baitius and The Cobert Report on Comdey Central

Lol. The bolded is one of my favorite attributes of black comedy. A perfect example of this would be the film "A Serious Man". When most casual film viewers saw it, they quickly dismissed it as a pointless excersise in ? and a gloomy and depressing approach on the book of job. But I, however loved every minute of it and considered it one of the best comedies in years. Not just for the extremely dark humor, but for the underlying theme of absurdism that is prevalent throughout the movie
  • thehonorable
    edited February 2011
    Options

I am not offended, but I do know how hard it is to get a show on TV and keep it there. You don't just...do it.

So write a sitcom and get it on the air since it is so easy b.

My point with the first bullet was that if being funny is that easy...and you could do it, you should be able to get on some outlet and ? right? Why arent you writing on some sitcom since you have the ability to write something that made a few million laugh each week.

Funny is funny, regardless of where it comes from.
  • MAKAVELI25
    edited February 2011
    Options
    "due date" was one of the funniest movies that came out last year..dude is funny as hell

Still haven't seen it, but his role in "The Hangover" will almost secure him a place in comedic history.
  • thehonorable
    edited February 2011
    Options
    truth.

marlon was actually FUNNY on that show.

Rest in Peace White Mike.

White mike died?
  • Shuffington
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Marlon was/ is hilarious. Yeah his humor was more animated and less subtle on the show, but its still entertaining and not everybody can do what he does (although it seems easy)
    Im sure a "smart intelligent" person can still find humor in more animated overt comedy.

I would say Georges parents on Seinfeld are f*ggin hysterical. I would consider The Constanzas to be Overt cause all they do is yell. lol
    Its all about Delivery imo
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Ounceman wrote: »
    Lol. The bolded is one of my favorite attributes of black comedy. A perfect example of this would be the film "A Serious Man". When most casual film viewers saw it, they quickly dismissed it as a pointless excersise in ? and a gloomy and depressing approach on the book of job. But I, however loved every minute of it and considered it one of the best comedies in years. Not just for the extremely dark humor, but for the underlying theme of absurdism that is prevalent throughout the movie

nah, dark comedy movies like that are my cup of tea...I'm referring more to "real" tragedies where a person's looses everything to a natural disasters , deadly car accidents and things of that nature. Ya have some folk that actual get a kick out of ? like that
  • thehonorable
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Marlon was/ is hilarious. Yeah his humor was more animated and less subtle on the show, but its still entertaining and not everybody can do what he does (although it seems easy)
    Im sure a "smart intelligent" person can still find humor in more animated overt comedy.

I would say Georges parents on Seinfeld are f*ggin hysterical. I would consider The Constanzas to be Overt cause all they do is yell. lol
    Its all about Delivery imo

Exactly. Funny is Funny.
  • Real Lady
    Real Lady Banned Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Some people are not funny, they like to LIE and DECIEVE, and when they are caught they result to saying, they were just playing.

I was just joking...YEAH RIGHT:confused:
  • Real Lady
    Real Lady Banned Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    i have a very dry sense of humor, and i notice if it goes over peoples heads too much i tend to think they may be dumb.

case in point, i went on a double date this weekend. my girlfriend had to take some medication at the table and the other chicks date goes "is that prescription?"

i say, "no she's just an unapologetic drug addict" everyone laughs but him.

He says, " is she really a drug addict?"

I take you as a very offensive person, who try to play it off, by being funny. Which means you say what you really feel in a joke manner, but you are not joking, so therefore it's not a intelligence issue, it's that some people can see you are not really PLAYING. Instead of saying it is what you really feel, you try to make it seem as if you are just cracking a intelligent joke. Some people can just read between the lines and sense the offensive emotion so it's not really funny. By trying to play it off as a joke, it's really not amusing. If you would just be SERIOUS it prolly would be funnier. Some people are funny when they are DEAD SERIOUS, those are the types who are intelligently funny. People who are undertoned, are not funny to me, they are PHONEY. I don't find PHONEY people FUNNY....

The funniest people to me are the ones who are not trying to be funny. Nothing is more annoying then a wannabe comedian. It's cowardly. The only people who laugh at that type of person jokes, are the ones who are cowards and think it's funny that someonelse is saying what they are thinking, when they are SCARED to say it. Phoney comedy is the worst. Just say you are being SERIOUS.
  • thehonorable
    edited February 2011
    Options
    no offense Real Lady

But what the ? are you talking about?
  • Gnawledgeable
    Gnawledgeable Members Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    You have to be open minded to understand a joke even when it's not funny. It depends in timing and delivery.

Ya'll some funny ? 's on here but I wouldn't think you smart.
  • jackthemack
    jackthemack Members Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Wayans Brothers was ? hilarious fam. Iono what this ? talmbout
  • Kushington
    Kushington Members Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Simpletons are entertained by simple humor....more intelligent people tend to find humor in things that have a particular context rather than an obvious attempt to make people laugh
  • thehonorable
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Wayans Brothers was ? hilarious fam. Iono what this ? talmbout

He is doing that elitist ? a lot of "fans" of alternative comedy do.
  • Shuffington
    edited February 2011
    Options
    no offense Real Lady

But what the ? are you talking about?

You still read that ? ?
    I stopped reading Silly Me's post like 2-3 yrs ago.
  • not this again!
    not this again! Members Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Not at all.

I work in the sciences, so I know plenty of highly intelligent people. And sadly, the majority of these cats couldn't tell a decent joke if their lives depended on it, and I've exposed them to things ranging from South Park to Monty Python, and damn near everything in between, and it goes over their heads like a pop fly to center field.