Is a Person's Sense of Humor a Mark of Intelligence?

Options
124»

Comments

• MAKAVELI25
    MAKAVELI25 Members Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Kushington wrote: »
    Simpletons are entertained by simple humor....more intelligent people tend to find humor in things that have a particular context rather than an obvious attempt to make people laugh

^^^

And can y'all read the thread titles please? Smh @ ? coming in here offended.

I posed a question. Disagree/Agree, and post why. I personally just don't see much of a difference between shows like "The Wayans Bros" and the sitcoms my nephew watches on TV. It's not about "alternative" comedy. Shows like "The Fresh Prince" and "Martin" didn't have alternative comedy, but they WORKED for laughs, they didn't just rely on stupid gags to amuse the audience.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    could a slow witted person fully appreciate a show like parks and recreation, seinfeld or curb your enthusiasm .... probably not
    but at the end of the day funny is funny
  • Mr. Terrific
    Mr. Terrific Members Posts: 483
    edited February 2011
    Options
    the news is full of morons who think they are bigger than nature. Darwinism is funny to me. You decide to go chase tornadoes and a house falls on you like the wicked witch, then that is funny to me. Spike's 1000 ways to die is not only interesting but funny in some ways too. You want to be a peeping tom and decide to drill holes all over the ceiling of your bathroom so you can peep the woman upstairs, then her tub comes crashing down on your head because of so many holes. hilarious. I find dark humor in the absurdity of people.
  • okaay
    okaay Members Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Smart ? dont find Martin funny? ? will say anything to appear intelligent.
  • meekins
    meekins Members Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    i find humor in everything that aint meant to be humurous... i got my girl hip to seseme street.. now we could just pop in a seseme street DVD with our kids and be weak as ? watching baby bear and zoey.. sometimes elmo a funny dude to, but baby bear be having me out of breath.
  • MAKAVELI25
    edited February 2011
    Options
    okaay wrote: »
    Smart ? dont find Martin funny? ? will say anything to appear intelligent.

If you're referring to me, you totally misconstrued my post. Martin is ? HILARIOUS. I was debating with another poster who claims that fans of 'alternative' comedy try to ? on all other forms of comedy (He said this because I said that I think 'Wayans Bros' was a ? show). I then pointed out that "Fresh Prince" and "Martin" are definitely not alternative comedy, but they are funny.....This post was only worth it IF you were referring to me though
  • thehonorable
    thehonorable Members Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    MAKAVELI25 wrote: »
    ^^^

And can y'all read the thread titles please? Smh @ ? coming in here offended.

I posed a question. Disagree/Agree, and post why. I personally just don't see much of a difference between shows like "The Wayans Bros" and the sitcoms my nephew watches on TV. It's not about "alternative" comedy. Shows like "The Fresh Prince" and "Martin" didn't have alternative comedy, but they WORKED for laughs, they didn't just rely on stupid gags to amuse the audience.

I think the Wayans Bros hold up.

I still laugh at that ? .

but check the tone of the thread.

? will say anything to sound intelligent.

I like elephants so I guess I got a good memory ass ? .
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    nah, dark comedy movies like that are my cup of tea...I'm referring more to "real" tragedies where a person's looses everything to a natural disasters , deadly car accidents and things of that nature. Ya have some folk that actual get a kick out of ? like that

LMMFAO. Well in that case, dark comedy movies like that really arent your cup of tea then. because what i find ironically hilarious is exactly what u typed that i quoted in bold font is exactly what happens in the movie. lol, and those events are put in the film for a tragic and comedic effect.
  • #1 pick
    #1 pick Members Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    yes and no...there's some ? that's just plain ignorant that I will laugh at just has hard as I will laugh at a joke that has some sense of social commentary or intelligence injected into it...just depends on the way it's presented though I do prefer the latter

This. .... .
  • #1 pick
    #1 pick Members Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    MAKAVELI25 wrote: »
    If you're referring to me, you totally misconstrued my post. Martin is ? HILARIOUS. I was debating with another poster who claims that fans of 'alternative' comedy try to ? on all other forms of comedy (He said this because I said that I think 'Wayans Bros' was a ? show). I then pointed out that "Fresh Prince" and "Martin" are definitely not alternative comedy, but they are funny.....This post was only worth it IF you were referring to me though

I didn't find Martin to be that good of a show. It had it's peaks but wasn't my cup of tea. I still love Fresh Prince when I watch TV. On the serious note, humor is individualistic. Most women I've dated like simple humor and a lot of them have advanced degree and some attended some really prestigious institutions. If you see what they watch, you wouldn't think they were the head of their class and stand outs among others. In other words, yes and no. Some comedy's are for idiots like Titus or Sifli and Olly, some are just flat out funny like Chappelle Show or The PJ's.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Ounceman wrote: »
    LMMFAO. Well in that case, dark comedy movies like that really arent your cup of tea then. because what i find ironically hilarious is exactly what u typed that i quoted in bold font is exactly what happens in the movie. lol, and those events are put in the film for a tragic and comedic effect.

Nah man,
    I was speaking on real life tragedies than,not movies
    Done right in a movie were the main character FINALLY makes it BIG and gets that high paying promotion they’ll been waiting on for 10 years, only to have the company go bankrupt 1 month later……that’s funny to me....lol
    And a dark comedy is when the context presents itself to be taken seriously but a under closer examination is completely ridiculous and outrageous.
    Satire and irony.
    As I mentioned earlier, Spartacus: Blood & Sand/Gods of the Arena is a perfect example of this

Jupiter’s ? ! That show is pure comedy gold!
    it truly is one of them shows you either get or don't get it.
  • a.mann
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Real Lady wrote: »
    I take you as a very offensive person, who try to play it off, by being funny. Which means you say what you really feel in a joke manner, but you are not joking, so therefore it's not a intelligence issue, it's that some people can see you are not really PLAYING. Instead of saying it is what you really feel, you try to make it seem as if you are just cracking a intelligent joke. Some people can just read between the lines and sense the offensive emotion so it's not really funny. By trying to play it off as a joke, it's really not amusing. If you would just be SERIOUS it prolly would be funnier. Some people are funny when they are DEAD SERIOUS, those are the types who are intelligently funny. People who are undertoned, are not funny to me, they are PHONEY. I don't find PHONEY people FUNNY....

The funniest people to me are the ones who are not trying to be funny. Nothing is more annoying then a wannabe comedian. It's cowardly. The only people who laugh at that type of person jokes, are the ones who are cowards and think it's funny that someonelse is saying what they are thinking, when they are SCARED to say it. Phoney comedy is the worst. Just say you are being SERIOUS.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is an example of some ? I find humorous….lol
    She is “DEAD SERIOUS “ in her venomous rant. And it’s funny to me,
    because the ? came out of no where….totally left field and unwarranted.
    Plus the fact she typed it with a “straight face” makes it funnier
    (she probably crackin’ up on the inside)
  • a.mann
    edited February 2011
    Options
    over time I come to find I pefer the Simpson's.....the underline ironic humor more oppose to the shock value humor of Family Guy
    (which I did enjoy, but the "shickt" has run its couse)
  • MAKAVELI25
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Yo, do any of y'all watch "Lights Out"? They had the most unintentionally hilarious scene I've ever seen a couple of nights back. Anyway, to summarize:

The protagonist is an ex-boxing superstar who used to be worth millions. He has gone broke and delays telling his wife. At some point, she pledges $50,000 to a charity for Haiti. When he finds out, he is forced to tell her, but it IS, after all, a pledge. So the pastor of the church is announcing their pledge in church: Everybody is clapping and ? and they're just sitting there, the only ones in the room knowing that they can't afford it.

? had me DYING!
  • a.mann
    edited February 2011
    Options
    hilarious comic strips are "Dilbert" and "Pearls Before Swine"

write up on "Catbert" the Head of HR

With the help of his "random policy generator", he comes up with sadistic, illogical and often evil policies to enforce on the employees, such as permanently branding employees, banning coffee drinking in the office, requiring employees to schedule sick time before they actually get sick, replacing the health plan with GOOGLE, and making time spent in the bathroom count as "vacation." He also has the help of his "Life Suck 3000" (to suck the life force out of employees faster than normal), and his library of HR binders that give strategies on downsizing and hiring of morons specifically. He often works in tandem with the Pointy-Haired Boss. Catbert typically celebrates the creation of a new evil policy by purring loudly or by doing the "evil dance".

lol

controversial "Pearls Before Swine" strip that damn near got ban

Family Circus Meet Osama Bin Laden
    In the week of June 27, 2005 Pastis ran a series of comics involving the whereabouts of infamous terrorist Osama Bin Laden. The strips portrayed Bin Laden living as an exchange student with the family from beloved comic The Family Circus. Osama is seen at the dinner table ending grace with "Death to America" instead of "Amen", teaching Billy, Jeffy and Dolly to call their father "The Great Satan" and place a fatwa upon his head and forcing the mother to wear a burqa. Eventually Osama is caught when government agents follow Billy's dotted lines back to the house. Despite their naivete about Bin Laden's activities (Daddy is confused when Osama burns a presidential effigy, remarking that "it looks nothing like Eisenhower"), the family is punished for sheltering and harboring a fugitive. As punishment the family is kidnapped by the FBI and sent to Guantanamo Bay prison to be tortured. Pastis remarked that despite the many complaints received, the series is one of his most popular and favorites that he's ever done.

lol
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    Nah man,
    I was speaking on real life tragedies than,not movies
    Done right in a movie were the main character FINALLY makes it BIG and gets that high paying promotion they’ll been waiting on for 10 years, only to have the company go bankrupt 1 month later……that’s funny to me....lol
    And a dark comedy is when the context presents itself to be taken seriously but a under closer examination is completely ridiculous and outrageous.
    Satire and irony.
    As I mentioned earlier, Spartacus: Blood & Sand/Gods of the Arena is a perfect example of this

Jupiter’s ? ! That show is pure comedy gold!
    it truly is one of them shows you either get or don't get it.

Oh, ok bro. I completely misunderstood what u were trying to say. And trust me, I know alot about black/dark comedies seeing as how it's one of the subgenres I have the utmost admiration for. Naked, arsenic and old lace, Harold and maude, dr strangelove, and the exterminating angel are some of my favorites
  • Bwoahmizzee
    Bwoahmizzee Members Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    nah It just shows they are witty

I know some funny dumb muthafuckas

but yeah just like a ? who can freestyle raps and ? it doesn't mean he's smart it just means he's witty and sharp
  • MAKAVELI25
    edited February 2011
    Options
    nah It just shows they are witty

I know some funny dumb muthafuckas

but yeah just like a ? who can freestyle raps and ? it doesn't mean he's smart it just means he's witty and sharp

I disagree, I feel like someone who can come straight off the dome with something nice/coherent is smart; might not be book smart, but it takes a special kind of talent/smarts to do it.
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Real Lady wrote: »
    I take you as a very offensive person, who try to play it off, by being funny. Which means you say what you really feel in a joke manner, but you are not joking, so therefore it's not a intelligence issue, it's that some people can see you are not really PLAYING. Instead of saying it is what you really feel, you try to make it seem as if you are just cracking a intelligent joke. Some people can just read between the lines and sense the offensive emotion so it's not really funny. By trying to play it off as a joke, it's really not amusing. If you would just be SERIOUS it prolly would be funnier. Some people are funny when they are DEAD SERIOUS, those are the types who are intelligently funny. People who are undertoned, are not funny to me, they are PHONEY. I don't find PHONEY people FUNNY....

The funniest people to me are the ones who are not trying to be funny. Nothing is more annoying then a wannabe comedian. It's cowardly. The only people who laugh at that type of person jokes, are the ones who are cowards and think it's funny that someonelse is saying what they are thinking, when they are SCARED to say it. Phoney comedy is the worst. Just say you are being SERIOUS.

Ma trust me.....I completely understand what you are saying, but I don't think he meant it that way. Everything in life doesn't have to always be analyzed in its worse case scenario. The sky is not always falling lil mama.