04 Evolve - Insight
05 Lunchtyme Cypher - Malcolm & Martin
06 365 - Black Milk
07 Satisfaction Guaranteed - Rakim
08 Just Wanna Know - Charon Don Featuring. Reef the Lost Cauze
09 Street Corner - Nutso
10 Joyful Noise - Flame, John Reilly & Lecrae
11 Keys 2 The City - Nipsey Hussle

Big thanks to all who contributed, some stand out tracks, but no filler... well worth checking out :tu

Again, big thanks to all who contributed and please continue to listen and post feedback in the coming month :tu

We'll start it all again tomorrow!! Props.

Original Post:
RuffDraft wrote:
The Essence Playlist of the Month started back in 2006 and has since continued for the most part in between 'upgrades'. It has always been at the forefront of The Essence and with enough people posting nowadays, we can bring it back!!!

How it works:

Posters upload their two favourite tracks that they've been playing of late and up them to mediafire.com. The links are then posted here in this thread and at the end of the month, I'll upload them all as one succinct playlist that flows like water. If 10 posters participate, that's a 20 song playlist for us to bump in March whilst the March playlist of the month is populated. It works well and should make for another great thread :tu The only rule is that the music MUST be from an Independent, Underground or under-the-radar artist, The Roots and similar artists CAN be contributed to the thread, but 50 Cent and other mega superstars are NOT to be included.

How to upload to mediafire.com:
  • Visit www.mediafire.com
  • Click on the big green button entitled 'UPLOAD to mediafire'
  • Click on 'Click Here To Upload'
  • Select 'Browse' and find the tracks that you wish to upload from the correct folder on your computer.
  • Once selected, select 'upload more files' and select your next track.
  • Finally, select 'Begin Uploading Files' and your two tracks will be uploaded to mediafire.
  • Once completed, the website will present you with a URL (link) that will allow others to view your files. Copy this link and copy it into your post in this thread.

Essence Essentials will continue, check the latest Essence Essentials in the Old & New thread or the current stickied thread :tu

Comments

• RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Here's my two tracks to kick The Essence Playlist of the Month February 2011 off, try to follow my lead with a sentence describing your choice of tracks:

Son of Ran - Incoming Message

The album title track from Son of Ran and the Messangers album, completely dope from beat to his rhymes, a real laid back track that is a perfect kick start to the playlist, IMO.

Big K.R.I.T - Somedayz

Not his biggest fan as I've not checked enough of him, but this song is set to change that, as I think it's original and benefits from a dope video. "Damn, one day I'm gon' die... somedayz".
  • renagade410.
    renagade410. Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    hmmm gonna be tough for me to choose two...i'll come up with sumin
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    hmmm gonna be tough for me to choose two...i'll come up with sumin

Props, use your iTunes, see what's in your recently and most played :tu two tracks!! :tu
  • qez wuz here
    qez wuz here Members Posts: 124
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Yo what album is that 1st track from?

Here's my contribution:

Kendrick Lamar ft. Angela McCluskey - Is It Love
    http://www.mediafire.com/?b599capnr8glind

Nipsey Hussle - Keys 2 The City
    http://www.mediafire.com/?xz2p6eneve2uzc7
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    ^^ Props Dilla :tu
    Yo what album is that 1st track from?

Here's my contribution:

Kendrick Lamar ft. Angela McCluskey - Is It Love
    http://www.mediafire.com/?b599capnr8glind

Nipsey Hussle - Keys 2 The City
    http://www.mediafire.com/?xz2p6eneve2uzc7

First track is Son of Ran and The Messangers - Incoming Message - Great album, I made a thread about him a while back but it was slept on, unfortunately. He's one of my biggest discoveries in recent memory... great artist.

Here's the thread: A Tribute to Sky City (2006) - free album.

Also, Incoming Message (2008) thread.

Props on the two tracks :tu
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    6 tracks thus far, we need another six minimum! Come on people! 2 weeks to go! Drop your favourite two Independent/Underground tracks of the month :tu
  • renagade410.
    edited February 2011
    Options
    i dont know why but its almost impossible for me to choose two tracks...havnt really been listening to that much music as of late(mp3 player died,harddrive crashed)

first track is by a artist called insight. MANY ppl always mention y society and even shinshight trio but i rarely hear them mention his solo work.

insight-evolve
    http://www.mediafire.com/?4abv64f1aqqkicp

2nd artist goes by the name of charon don. If you ever heard juju mob cd black candles he was on there.Dude sounds just like brother ali i actually thought it was brother ali until i checked the tracklisting lol.

charon don& dj huggy ft reef the lost cause-just wanna know
    http://www.mediafire.com/?wm8d1utdpf2nbyp
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I'm throwing in some in the moment
    but I've been looking for this brand new track, its quite polite
    Maticulous (f. Reef the Lost Cause, Soul Khan)– Once Invented

If you can find it, cool!

http://www.mediafire.com/?catuqaj9larbr

Contents:

Malcolm and Martin- Lynchtime Cypher
    Nutso- Street Corner (Feat. Panchi, Torae & Punchlyne)
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    i dont know why but its almost impossible for me to choose two tracks...havnt really been listening to that much music as of late(mp3 player died,harddrive crashed)

first track is by a artist called insight. MANY ppl always mention y society and even shinshight trio but i rarely hear them mention his solo work.

insight-evolve
    http://www.mediafire.com/?4abv64f1aqqkicp

2nd artist goes by the name of charon don. If you ever heard juju mob cd black candles he was on there.Dude sounds just like brother ali i actually thought it was brother ali until i checked the tracklisting lol.

Props Renagade!!
    Call Me G wrote: »

Thanks for the drop, is this independent hip hop music? If not, it won't be added to the playlist, sorry to waste your time if so...
    traestar wrote: »
    I'm throwing in some in the moment
    but I've been looking for this brand new track, its quite polite
    Maticulous (f. Reef the Lost Cause, Soul Khan)– Once Invented

If you can find it, cool!

http://www.mediafire.com/?catuqaj9larbr

Contents:

Malcolm and Martin- Lynchtime Cypher
    Nutso- Street Corner (Feat. Panchi, Torae & Punchlyne)

Props Trae!!!

Keep 'em coming! Not long to go now :tu
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Last chance, you have 24 hours before the upload!!!!

2 tracks, come on people!!!
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Last chance, you have 24 hours before the upload!!!!

2 tracks, come on people!!!

what are you talkin about
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    what are you talkin about

lol read the original post:
    RuffDraft wrote:
    The Essence Playlist of the Month started back in 2006 and has since continued for the most part in between 'upgrades'. It has always been at the forefront of The Essence and with enough people posting nowadays, we can bring it back!!!

How it works:

Posters upload their two favourite tracks that they've been playing of late and up them to mediafire.com. The links are then posted here in this thread and at the end of the month, I'll upload them all as one succinct playlist that flows like water. If 10 posters participate, that's a 20 song playlist for us to bump in March whilst the March playlist of the month is populated. It works well and should make for another great thread :tu The only rule is that the music MUST be from an Independent, Underground or under-the-radar artist, The Roots and similar artists CAN be contributed to the thread, but 50 Cent and other mega superstars are NOT to be included.

How to upload to mediafire.com:
    • Visit www.mediafire.com
    • Click on the big green button entitled 'UPLOAD to mediafire'
    • Click on 'Click Here To Upload'
    • Select 'Browse' and find the tracks that you wish to upload from the correct folder on your computer.
    • Once selected, select 'upload more files' and select your next track.
    • Finally, select 'Begin Uploading Files' and your two tracks will be uploaded to mediafire.
    • Once completed, the website will present you with a URL (link) that will allow others to view your files. Copy this link and copy it into your post in this thread.

Essence Essentials will continue, check the latest Essence Essentials in the Old & New thread or the current stickied thread :tu

Basically, tomorrow, you will have all the tracks that are posted in this thread as a zip file for people to listen to for the next month.

Basically, all the favourite songs of posters in The Essence for February 2011. All of whom are independent artists who you can discover because of the thread. We've been doing it for years, but this is the first since the I.C's re:birth. At last we have enough posters.
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    lol read the original post:

Basically, tomorrow, you will have all the tracks that are posted in this thread as a zip file for people to listen to for the next month.

Basically, all the favourite songs of posters in The Essence for February 2011. All of whom are independent artists who you can discover because of the thread. We've been doing it for years, but this is the first since the I.C's re:birth. At last we have enough posters.

alright i got cha
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    alright i got cha

Feel free to contribute two tracks if you listen to independent hip hop :tu

This track is amazing :tu
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options

Ayo this right here is harsh bro, props on this!!
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    The Essence Playlist of the Month February 2011

TheEssencePlaylistofthemonthFebruary2011.jpg

Track list:

01 Is it Love? - Kendrick Lamar Featuring Angela McCluskey
    02 Some Days Freestyle - Big K.R.I.T.
    03 Incoming Message - Son of Ran and the Messangers
    04 Evolve - Insight
    06 365 - Black Milk
    09 Street Corner - Nutso

Big thanks to all who contributed, some stand out tracks, but no filler... well worth checking out :tu

Again, big thanks to all who contributed and please continue to listen and post feedback in the coming month :tu

• renagade410.
    edited March 2011
    Options

TheEssencePlaylistofthemonthFebruary2011.jpg

Track list:

04 Evolve - Insight
    06 365 - Black Milk
    09 Street Corner - Nutso

gonna give this a listen tonight...its right on time too i need a new cd to bump....i played out saigons and lasers is meh so this will def be gettin some extra spin

i'll drop my thoughts tommorow
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2011
    Options
    gonna give this a listen tonight...its right on time too i need a new cd to bump....i played out saigons and lasers is meh so this will def be gettin some extra spin

i'll drop my thoughts tommorow

Props, I think it's a nice mix, I'm going to check out Lasers, but I always felt it would disappoint... it's all about CunninLynguists now!
  • rip.dilla
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Nice. Nice. Give it a listen tonight.
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2011
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Nice. Nice. Give it a listen tonight.

Thanks for your contribution :tu
  • renagade410.
    edited March 2011
    Options

Track list:

whats funny is im actually not too fond of rappers who rap like this....but for some reason im feelin this song...dope start to the cd and def opened my eyes

This song was doomed from the start for me...93 till infinity is one of my favorite beats of all time,i gave it a listen but i am not a fan of rapping over classic beats...i will check out his other work tho

Early favorite for me, i cant believe i havnt heard of these guys def bout to check out their work

04 Evolve - Insight

dope concept dope beat imo for this concept it did start off weak but gets better as the song goes along

06 365 - Black Milk
    not in my top black milk songs but dope none the less

its rakim....nuff said

09 Street Corner - Nutso

Ehhhh wasnt feelin this one as much...some of the punchlines wasnt hittin for me...beat didnt sound as good as i had originally thought(that could just be because it came after that dj huggy beat lol)

wow ok religious rap....ive heard of lecrae, i actually used to write songs for a religious rapper so im highly critical of religious rap...beat kinda took over this one..by that i mean that the beat dictated their whole style on the song. Not naming any names but its obviously a beat that you would mainly hear in a certain region...and they rap accordingly lol. It wasnt bad tho i just wish the whole song had been like the last verse and that they toned the beat down it was a little too much

you know i heard alot of good things about him but never listend to him. To be honest he doesnt sound all that spectacular given the people that i listen to but he is someone that based off of this song i would give the whole cd a listen cuz i know 1 song can never do an artist justice. But im feelin this song prob my 3rd favorite song on the cd...3rd verse was straight fire tho matter fact im bout to youtube his other stuff lol

OVERALL...dope mix...as stated there are obvious standouts my 3 favorite songs were the kendrick lamar joint the sons of ram and keys 2 the city.The whole mix flowed perfectly nice job on the arrangement. I can play this the whole way through so thats def a good thing....u dont mind if i pass this mix to some people im tryna convert do u?

• RuffDraft
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Track list:

whats funny is im actually not too fond of rappers who rap like this....but for some reason im feelin this song...dope start to the cd and def opened my eyes

You've yet to check out Kendrick Lamar? I think if you listened to the 'Kendrick Lamar EP' you would feel it even more, IMO. He's one of my favourite discoveries of recent years...

This song was doomed from the start for me...93 till infinity is one of my favorite beats of all time,i gave it a listen but i am not a fan of rapping over classic beats...i will check out his other work tho

Ouch, this was my contribution, I know it's a classic beat, but the video and the rhymes I thought were on point, I'd recommend checking the video, as it really sells the song and I think that he does the beat justice too... but that's just from my perspective:

Early favorite for me, i cant believe i havnt heard of these guys def bout to check out their work

I tried to put people on to Son of Ran a while back, he's an incredible artist who I discovered whilst pouring over different blogs, he's incredible to me, here's the threads I made:

Son of Ran: A Tribute to Sky City (2006) Free album

Son of Ran and the Messangers: Incoming Message (2008)

From what I've gathered, Son of Ran is his own man, but he's collaborated with The Messangers for this project.
    04 Evolve - Insight

dope concept dope beat imo for this concept it did start off weak but gets better as the song goes along

06 365 - Black Milk
    not in my top black milk songs but dope none the less

its rakim....nuff said

09 Street Corner - Nutso

Ehhhh wasnt feelin this one as much...some of the punchlines wasnt hittin for me...beat didnt sound as good as i had originally thought(that could just be because it came after that dj huggy beat lol)

wow ok religious rap....ive heard of lecrae, i actually used to write songs for a religious rapper so im highly critical of religious rap...beat kinda took over this one..by that i mean that the beat dictated their whole style on the song. Not naming any names but its obviously a beat that you would mainly hear in a certain region...and they rap accordingly lol. It wasnt bad tho i just wish the whole song had been like the last verse and that they toned the beat down it was a little too much

you know i heard alot of good things about him but never listend to him. To be honest he doesnt sound all that spectacular given the people that i listen to but he is someone that based off of this song i would give the whole cd a listen cuz i know 1 song can never do an artist justice. But im feelin this song prob my 3rd favorite song on the cd...3rd verse was straight fire tho matter fact im bout to youtube his other stuff lol

OVERALL...dope mix...as stated there are obvious standouts my 3 favorite songs were the kendrick lamar joint the sons of ram and keys 2 the city.The whole mix flowed perfectly nice job on the arrangement. I can play this the whole way through so thats def a good thing....u dont mind if i pass this mix to some people im tryna convert do u?

Props for the detailed feedback, sure readers will like to read through :tu

No problem, I'm just glad to have a few people around posting now, it's good to share about Independent hip hop...

haha no problem, just refer them to the Essence Essentials thread, so many mixes in there :tu
  • rip.dilla
    edited March 2011
    Options
    'Is It Love?' by Lamar one of my faves off the mix.

I liked it.