When did you First Fall in Love with Independent/Underground Hip Hop?

Options
2»

Comments

• Food & Liquor
    Food & Liquor Members Posts: 1,126
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I took an interest in it in like late 2009 thanks to listening to the Blackstar album (I had heard their own solo stuff but never that album) and I wanted to listen to more stuff, I just couldn't find anything that I really liked until now.
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Neslom wrote: »
    Ace became an instant favorite rapper after that.Been too long since I really heard CunninLynguists, heard their Strange Journey Vol 1 mixtape. "Broken Van (Thinking of You)" is really good. When will the new album drop?

22nd March :tu They've not released a complete album since ? Acres, so it should make for a good return!! Strange Journey's didn't really count.
    One of the few who improved with age. Disposable Arts is a classic swell. His debut take a look around is dope to. He is the only rapper I listen to that I can say he has not one wack songs

Yeah, He was going to retire if Disposable Arts didn't get the respect it deserved, so I suppose any Artist strives when that's the case to improve. It's true, He's an incredible Artist.
    I took an interest in it in like late 2009 thanks to listening to the Blackstar album (I had heard their own solo stuff but never that album) and I wanted to listen to more stuff, I just couldn't find anything that I really liked until now.

You've got a huge catalogue of albums at your disposal now too, going to be a good year of listening :tu
  • ty the great
    ty the great Members Posts: 162
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I heard a few "underground" joints before became an underground head. I was young and remember hearing The Blast and Definition played on the old Source Sound Lab show that used to come on UPN (didn't get BET or anything back then where 'm from lol). I thought those songs were cool.

But really I got into underground Hip Hop through Immortal Technique's Revolutionary 2. Seen a very positive review for it on the old HipHopSite and I wanted to try something new, only been circulating Hip Hop sites for a short time. Downloaded it and my mind was blown by the punchlines and ? he was referencing (was only like 13 or 14 at the time). I actually did a Google search to find more information on the album and that is how I found the original IC way back in the day in like 2003. Once I got on the boards I just kept trying new things.
  • renagade410.
    renagade410. Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I heard a few "underground" joints before became an underground head. I was young and remember hearing The Blast and Definition played on the old Source Sound Lab show that used to come on UPN (didn't get BET or anything back then where 'm from lol). I thought those songs were cool.

But really I got into underground Hip Hop through Immortal Technique's Revolutionary 2. Seen a very positive review for it on the old HipHopSite and I wanted to try something new, only been circulating Hip Hop sites for a short time. Downloaded it and my mind was blown by the punchlines and ? he was referencing (was only like 13 or 14 at the time). I actually did a Google search to find more information on the album and that is how I found the original IC way back in the day in like 2003. Once I got on the boards I just kept trying new things.

your story sounds similar to mine..especially the bolded
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options

You been here since 03?! That's when I discovered the I.C. too :tu
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited February 2011
    Options
    alonghot.jpg

then

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSOGILO3MO8_87XBbLNH4pRqlWHkG7ihbtggoCd7k8_0SBSJbUU

then

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6gv7MtHMzMX_z8uOIiFPJLwsIGc07SKqxEWGYCN5uusjPnmDuKw

Yea took me awhile but I found it sooner or later...
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    hlf wrote: »

Yea took me awhile but I found it sooner or later...

3 great albums though, which one's your favourite?
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited February 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    3 great albums though, which one's your favourite?

Love them all but A Long Hot Summer is the clear fav.
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    hlf wrote: »
    Love them all but A Long Hot Summer is the clear fav.

That's possibly my pick too, but The Gates is better than any track on ALHS, IMO. I don't know if that's just me, but I've listened to that track over 100 times and I'm not even exaggerating. I listened to it for about 3 hours straight when I first heard it lol
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options

Haven't heard from Source Sound Lab in a looonngg time!
  • ty the great
    ty the great Members Posts: 162
    edited February 2011
    Options
    You been here since 03?! That's when I discovered the I.C. too :tu

I was a much more active poster on the "original" IC, during the mid parts of the decade. Gotta give props tho, it was the IC that got me into a lot of the ? that I listen to .
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I was a much more active poster on the "original" IC, during the mid parts of the decade. Gotta give props tho, it was the IC that got me into a lot of the ? that I listen to .

Dope, well, it's good that you keep stopping by :tu I was the same, I had more time back in those days lol. And agreed, The original Essence got me into all this... along with the Net in general.
  • traestar
    edited February 2011
    Options

I got into IC around 03-04 as well
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    traestar wrote: »
    I got into IC around 03-04 as well

I thought you were all newcomers post-upgrade, dope :tu
  • traestar
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I thought you were all newcomers post-upgrade, dope :tu

Hell no!!! I've been on here for a long time!!! Been through all the ? this forum been on!
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Neslom wrote: »
    Around '03-'04. I got tired of listening to the same stuff (not because it was commercial, just needed some new artists).

This post typifies me exactly.

Also, this album changed my life in HipHop FOREVER, sometime in 2005.

SlumVillageFantasticVol2.jpg
  • mephistopheles
    mephistopheles Members Posts: 97
    edited February 2011
    Options
    It was actually thanks to joining this forum that I was introduced to UGHH. I joined in 2003. I often run into lists made by members that included artists and albums I never heard of. I began to listen to a few and the rest is history.

Unfortunately, I cannot recall the first UGHH album that I remember listening to, but in 2005 I remember going through a backpacker phase, my favorite moment being when I attended a small Def Jux concert in December of that year.
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I got into underground hip hop cause i picked up Jedi Mind Tricks, Realised how good it was (JMT Will never top Voilent by Design Imo)

R-240440-1080256245.jpg

The i got into Immortal Technique Rev 2 which was just amazing. i realised that underground Hip Hop is musically better than Mainstream, the Lyrics are more expressive.

Immortal-Technique-Revolutionary-Vol.-2.jpg

Then after this i just picked up as much as a could.
  • BReddy2
    BReddy2 Confirm Email Posts: 585
    edited February 2011
    Options
    when i first heard the lox
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    BReddy2 wrote: »
    when i first heard the lox

? but not exactly "underground/ independent" per sa....

as in over-looked and under-appreciated

I'll say they fall somewhere in the middle of it all
  • stevenjx712
    stevenjx712 Members Posts: 37
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I started out listening to rap in 95/96 first listened to people like Coolio, The Luniz, 2Pac, Dr Dre, Snoop Dogg, LL Cool J etc. in the late 90s I started listening to more underground westcoast rap, mostly the bay area like 11/5, I.M.P, C-Bo, RBL Posse, Mac Dre, Ray Luv 3X Krazy and people like that. I listened to all the albums I could find from the 90s then listened to more southern and midwest albums from the 90s, mostly more gangsta style. I've never been someone who listens to the same album over and over so have always tried finding new stuff to listen to, I used to mainly listen to underground gangsta rap.

After years of listening to this kid of music I got a bit bored of listening to old stuff and found people like Jedi Mind Tricks, Last Emperor and Immortal Technique, now lately ive been listening to underground hip hop such as Brother Ali, Cunninlynguists, The Left
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Dope stories thus far, keep 'em coming!
    It was actually thanks to joining this forum that I was introduced to UGHH. I joined in 2003. I often run into lists made by members that included artists and albums I never heard of. I began to listen to a few and the rest is history.

Unfortunately, I cannot recall the first UGHH album that I remember listening to, but in 2005 I remember going through a backpacker phase, my favorite moment being when I attended a small Def Jux concert in December of that year.

Who did you see at the Def Jux concert?
  • traestar
    edited February 2011
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    ? but not exactly "underground/ independent" per sa....

as in over-looked and under-appreciated

I'll say they fall somewhere in the middle of it all

Honestly D-Block would fall into this category more..

Lox was more Bad Boy, D-Block was that break from the mainstream limelight!
    Now they are separated into different genres, where you have Jadakiss doing the mainstream thing, Styles more of
    the independent route, and Sheek playing the background but showing in both scenes.
  • traestar
    edited February 2011
    Options

Nice!!

See UGHH had this notion to put out albums that many people don't see in stores, and throughout the years they have provided actual album previews, old school video flashbacks and radio channels that have driven this site for many years. UGHH alone I was put up on alot of different artists/producers/DJs.
  • prymetyme mc
    prymetyme mc Members Posts: 184
    edited February 2011
    Options
    In 05 I Had Given Up On Hip Hop And Then I Heard MF DOOM's Operation Doomsday And Little Brother's JL Mixtapes I Immediately Began Digging For All Underground ? Ever Since