Fashawn - Higher Learning 2 (2011) [Mixtape/Free Download]

Options
RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in The Essence
XXL.com wrote:
XXL is proud to present the Fresno, CA native’s new project…

It’s time for your ears to soak up some knowledge. XXLMag.com, in association with hotnewhiphop.com is proud to present Fashawn’s new mixtape, Higher Learning 2. URL="http://www.usershare.net/zwqr2353e9uf"]Download Now[/URL

The disc, hosted by DJ Ill Will and DJ Rockstar, features 22 tracks with appearances by GLC, Tony Williams of G.O.O.D. Music, Gilbere Forte’ and fellow XXL Freshman alum J. Cole, who spits on two tracks and contributed three beats for the project.

Asked how he linked up with the Roc Nation signee, Fash told XXL: “I met J. Cole in New York about a year ago, maybe a month prior to [the XXL Freshman shoot]. I was working with The Roots, we were rocking up in NYC, and we went straight to the studio with J. Cole. We just vibed man…I’m just a cool cat and I like to vibe with people and if that goes well then let’s get to the music.

Fash begins his Higher Learning Tour today with Evidence and Curt@!n$. Kicking off in Santa Barbara, CA, the trek will continue to make 17 more stops throughout the West Coast. [View a full schedule of tour dates here.] —XXL Staff
fashawn-HL2front.jpg

Was feeling Grizzly City Vol. 3 from last year and Ode to Illmatic (somewhat), so I'm looking forward to hearing this, anyone checked it yet? I'll be back with my thoughts, most definitely my favourite emcee of 2009.

Here's the tour dates:
XXL.com wrote:
Tour Dates:

Feb. 16 – Santa Barbara, CA – Velvet Jones

Feb. 19 – Tempe, AZ – Red Owl

Feb. 20 – Durange, CO – Abbey Theater

Feb.22 – Boulder, CO – Fox Theater

Feb. 23 – Denver, CO – Cervantes

Feb. 25 – Salt Lake City, UT – Bar Deluxe

Feb. 26 – Boise, ID – The Reef

Feb. 28 – Vancouver, B.C. – Fortune

Mar. 1 – Bellingham, WA – Wild Buffalo

Mar. 2 – Seattle, WA – Nectar Lounge

Mar. 3 – Eugene, OR – Wow Hall

Mar. 4 – Portland, OR – The Backspace

Mar. 5 – Arcata, CA – Arcata Vet’s Hall

Mar. 6 – Sacramento, CA – Colonial Theater

Mar. 7 – Crystal Bay, NV – Cal/Neva

Mar. 9 – San Francisco, CA – 330 Ritch

Mar. 10 – Santa Cruz, CA – The Catalyst

Mar. 11 – Modesto, CA – Fat Cat

Mar. 12 – Visalia, CA – Howie and Sons

Comments

• Food & Liquor
    Food & Liquor Members Posts: 1,126
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I haven't yet but I will do at some point; looking forward to it.
  • I.B. Blackman
    I.B. Blackman Members Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    imager.php?id=1872606

I needed some new heat...... Props.
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I haven't yet but I will do at some point; looking forward to it.

Liking your sig :tu

Listening to the mixtape now, started off alright, flying down the road has a good beat and hook though... looking forward to hearing him remix Common's 'Come Close' track :tu
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    ? damn at Big Dreams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mixtape if piff!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Pon Di download!!!
  • daboyag1
    daboyag1 Members, Writer Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Lol @ me and fashawn using the same sample on eastside party, smh and thats my single too lmao
  • MastaAceTheGOAT
    MastaAceTheGOAT Members Posts: 724
    edited February 2011
    Options
    been waiting for this for a bit. props on the post
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    "Sierra Leone Clarity" descriptive and direct, that's a nice line...

Fashawn's on form on this tape, more so than he was with the last two previous efforts on mixtapes (Ode to Illmatic and Grizzly City Vol. 3), J. Cole, Common, GLC and others make some good guest appearances, but Fashawn is there with his subject matter and I think that's what ranks it higher than the previous two tapes.

Standouts for me:

Down That Road
    Relaxation
    Do What I Gotta Do (LOVE the hook on this one)
    Weed Nap (anyone know where that beat is from???? GLC!)
    Higher (Remix) Kanye beat and Fashawn... Yeah!
    Closer (Remix) Not exactly going to touch Common's direction with his rhymes on the original, but it's a good use of Dilla's beat.
    Catch Me When I Fall - I like Fashawn the most on tracks such as this, more conscious than a Do What I Gotta Do.
    Eastside Party - Nice beat to DaBoyAG1, Fashawn raps 'I was cut from a fabric, from thugs and drug addicts'.
    Going Home (A fitting goodbye to the mixtape, 'I wrote this down whilst eating a toblerone' lol Fashawn croons 'I won't be happy until I get hooooooome', great track).

Great tape, must download.

SOPHOMORE ALBUM NEXT PLEASE!
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    yea dope tape so far didnt get to finish it yet but so far so good.
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    just started listening, off jump relaxation is ? sick.... cole world!
  • Food & Liquor
    edited February 2011
    Options
    just started listening, off jump relaxation is ? sick.... cole world!

I'm listening to it now and that song is awesome

So far so good

EDIT: Damn, this really is a dope mixtape. Glad I downloaded.
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I'm listening to it now and that song is awesome

So far so good

EDIT: Damn, this really is a dope mixtape. Glad I downloaded.

Yeah, Fashawn's best tape since his official LP debut, Boy Meets World. He's touching back on the subject matter that he excels with and he's got a nice beat selection behind him on this tape. Can't wait for his sophomore... he should hook up with Kendrick Lamar next...
  • Food & Liquor
    edited February 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Yeah, Fashawn's best tape since his official LP debut, Boy Meets World. He's touching back on the subject matter that he excels with and he's got a nice beat selection behind him on this tape. Can't wait for his sophomore... he should hook up with Kendrick Lamar next...

Yeah, I agree in terms of the quality of work. Kendrick could be a good collabo; I'd like to see him work with J. Cole more too (I think his production has improved quite a bit listening to the beats he provided, especially Big Dreams).
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    gave it chance just wasn't feeling the tape beats almost put me to sleep for real
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Yeah, I agree in terms of the quality of work. Kendrick could be a good collabo; I'd like to see him work with J. Cole more too (I think his production has improved quite a bit listening to the beats he provided, especially Big Dreams).

True, I just think J. Cole is from another world in comparison to him, but they're making good music together, so can't knock it!

Kendrick would be a great collabo though, agreed. Others that would be good to see him next to: Pigeon John and Eligh!
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    gave it chance just wasn't feeling the tape beats almost put me to sleep for real

Props on giving it a chance, but if this is your first time listening to Fashawn, then you should have really checked for Boy Meets World instead????
  • ninjasenses
    ninjasenses Members Posts: 157
    edited February 2011
    Options
    lmao at the album artwork...takes me back. Cant wait to give this a listen...props on the link
  • nwb
    nwb Members Posts: 14
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Fashawn keeps up the greatness of Boy Meets World...so waiting for him to drop a new album!
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    lmao at the album artwork...takes me back. Cant wait to give this a listen...props on the link

lol. No problem, good to see you stopping by Ninja, don't forget to contribute to The Essence Playlist of the Month February thread in the stickies :tu
    nwb wrote: »
    Fashawn keeps up the greatness of Boy Meets World...so waiting for him to drop a new album!

Yeah, no doubt... any idea on the date it's dropping if it is this year?
  • Food & Liquor
    edited February 2011
    Options
    True, I just think J. Cole is from another world in comparison to him, but they're making good music together, so can't knock it!

Kendrick would be a great collabo though, agreed. Others that would be good to see him next to: Pigeon John and Eligh!

Yeah, J. Cole is on the next level but the music they've done together has been really good and it would be good to see them continue their work together.

I'd like to see him work with Pigeon John and Eligh too, it'd be interesting to see how that'd work out as. Either way I'm looking forward to his next release.
  • freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    is he a GD ?,that shirt black Bart is wearing looks like it says GD's
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Yeah, J. Cole is on the next level but the music they've done together has been really good and it would be good to see them continue their work together.

I'd like to see him work with Pigeon John and Eligh too, it'd be interesting to see how that'd work out as. Either way I'm looking forward to his next release.

See, I think Fashawn is on another level to J. Cole, I don't feel that J. Cole could make a Boy Meets World.

Would definitely be good to see them work together though and seeing as the Living Legends are from Cali, I just think it would fit really nicely together. The one album that would be possible and epic would be if Blu and Fashawn hooked up with Exile and created an album... but that's getting a little far ahead of ourselves...

Can't wait for his next full album though, agreed.. just hope he sticks with Exile as Blu hasn't done AS much without Exile and Fashawn should come with a similar sound... but let Exile flip it a bit to keep it original...
    freshb651 wrote: »
    is he a GD ?,that shirt black Bart is wearing looks like it says GD's

It does and excuse my misunderstanding, but what's a GD?

Also, have you listened to the tape?
  • Food & Liquor
    edited February 2011
    Options
    See, I think Fashawn is on another level to J. Cole, I don't feel that J. Cole could make a Boy Meets World.

Would definitely be good to see them work together though and seeing as the Living Legends are from Cali, I just think it would fit really nicely together. The one album that would be possible and epic would be if Blu and Fashawn hooked up with Exile and created an album... but that's getting a little far ahead of ourselves...

Can't wait for his next full album though, agreed.. just hope he sticks with Exile as Blu hasn't done AS much without Exile and Fashawn should come with a similar sound... but let Exile flip it a bit to keep it original...

Maybe I guess I prefer J. Cole because I've just got a preference towards him, especially considering how impressed I was with FNL. I guess it depends on what he does with the album to properly compare them but we'll see. Either way I'm looking forward to what they both come out with in the future.

Yeah, that's an interesting idea actually; I loved the song Blu was featured on Boy Meets World and they worked together quite well. Definitely an idea; something I'd like to see too.
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Maybe I guess I prefer J. Cole because I've just got a preference towards him, especially considering how impressed I was with FNL. I guess it depends on what he does with the album to properly compare them but we'll see. Either way I'm looking forward to what they both come out with in the future.

Yeah, that's an interesting idea actually; I loved the song Blu was featured on Boy Meets World and they worked together quite well. Definitely an idea; something I'd like to see too.

Yeah, I know what it's like when an artist strikes a chord, the music we listen to isn't necessarily the best, but it definitely strikes a chord of affiliation within, which makes it great to oneself.

Friday Night Lights was definitely nice though, agreed. I just don't see J. Cole touching the honesty or more so the story of struggle that Fashawn was able to draw upon with BMW, it was an incredibly insightful record.

Yeah... can't wait for Blu's No York! though, I'm hoping he collaborates heavily with The Roots as he did on How I Got Over. Just can't wait for CunninLynguists this coming month though...
  • freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options

It does and excuse my misunderstanding, but what's a GD?

Also, have you listened to the tape?

GD's are Gangster Disciples,and yeah i've heard a few songs from the tape
  • Food & Liquor
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Yeah, I know what it's like when an artist strikes a chord, the music we listen to isn't necessarily the best, but it definitely strikes a chord of affiliation within, which makes it great to oneself.

Friday Night Lights was definitely nice though, agreed. I just don't see J. Cole touching the honesty or more so the story of struggle that Fashawn was able to draw upon with BMW, it was an incredibly insightful record.

Yeah... can't wait for Blu's No York! though, I'm hoping he collaborates heavily with The Roots as he did on How I Got Over. Just can't wait for CunninLynguists this coming month though...

Yeah, completely agree there. I guess we've just got to wait and see.

And yeah, I'll look out for that too. Always good to try out some new stuff!