Blessings And Curses

Options
alissowack
alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
edited February 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
It could be just me, but I just find the perception of what blessings and curses are to be shallow. When it come to these two things they are associate with material or physical gains and losses. It is as if to say that blessings consist of coming across much wealth, health and influence while curses have people losing those things.

It is not to take away from the feelings associated to having something good or bad come upon us, but it seems to dictate how these happenings are accepted. A blessing may just not be a blessing and a curse just may not be a curse especially when we don't know how the rest of our lives will end up. That blessing may lead to something devastating or that curse may be the best thing that every happened. Who knows? I just believe is it not our place to determine that.

Comments

• VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Being in a church since age 13, I easily picked up on and was taught that blessings come in many forms. A blessing could be a job, money, food, shelter - all when in a time of actual need and desperation. A blessing also could be thought of as a "gift", I've heard this by many believers. They live well, they do well, they're a normal type of person/family. As life goes on, they purchase a new car or a house or maybe even receive a raise and this becomes a blessing as well. Everything in life that is good becomes a blessing no matter what it is.

Curses, from what I was taught, were "tests" brought upon by ? . Curses = loss of a loved ones life, loss of a job, loss of anything that could potentially bring a hardship. Through these curses I was taught that we are being tested and in this test, if successful, we will be blessed in the end. So essentially curses = blessings in the end.

Now that's was my understanding of it all when I was a believer in ? . With that said, I believe blessings and curses are brought upon ourselves, mainly by our positive and negative thoughts.

I ask all believers this question, about blessings, and they never have an answer that is correct.

Let's say a believer goes about his daily life and for a week he is "blessed" with things. He receives his raise, he finally gets in contact w/ a long lost friend/relative, he happens to receive a large sum of money, meets the woman of his dreams etc. A believer would consider this all a blessing, correct? Yes. So lets say this happens to a non-believer, what is it now?

Does a blessing still exist? Is it just life for the non-believer, hey it just happened and he got lucky? Who was the blessed one? This happens daily to all people both believer and non-believers. Now that's just an exaggerated example though, although I'm sure it would happen to someone. But like I said, I believe that it's our decision whether we are blessed or cursed. Being religious, I guess Christianity in our convo, is pretty much positive. The book, ? , Jesus and all bring a positive influence in our lives and we "feel good". I feel that this positiveness brings good in our lives. Mostly for believers they have a "don't worry ? will take care of it policy" and this seems to work on the brain very well. Instead of stressing out about multiple things in life, pretty much they don't worry at all and keep things positive in ? and in that all seems to "turn out well". Things don't seem to "pile up in worries" because they don't worry as much as a person w/o ? . But if things do go wrong, it would more than likely be a "curse" attributed to ? as a test or the devil trying to pull you down...

A person, who is a non-believer, is more likely to worry and stress about things in life. Multiple bills may come up, some are sent to collections or whatever it may be. This becomes overwhelming, they feel they're all by themselves and they have no help. So when it seems constantly getting worse, they become more negative in the outcome. This isn't a curse, or the devil but just life the way it goes based on YOURSELF.

I live my life in a very positive manner. I very hardly stress about anything, if something doesn't go right then I shrug it off. I don't like worries, I hate negativity. There's been times where money has been pretty short and I know it's a scary situation sometimes but I forget it, don't worry and move on. I just become more aware and careful and everything ALWAYS turns out right. I keep my wife positive all the time, she hates that I don't worry. My life seems perfect to my liking. We live well, we eat well, we enjoy time out quite a bit, we live positive lives very very well. I don't need a religion or a ? in my life, I see that. I think things differently though.

? is what we make ourselves in reality. If we live more positive, it will seem more of a "? send". If we live more negative, it will seem more "evil". Life is what we make it.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    My thoughts on this are similar, that is why I think it best to see the blessing in the curse and the curse in the blessing. Helps to keep things balanced too.