newsflash Moammar....."the people" hate yo ass rite now boy

kick.jpg

gad.jpg
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    50cal.jpg

The round second from right is standard 5.56mm - of the type used by NATO forces, as the photo illustrates. The round on the far left is .50 caliber and has reportedly been used against protesters. Sources in Tripoli who have spoken with doctors in the capital also said some believe explosive rounds are being used.

One blogger noted: "I had a discussion with my brother, who’s currently training in the police academy, about weapons that law enforcement/the military uses. Do you want to know what police departments who even have these bullets use them for? Immobilizing vehicles and shooting through walls ... These bullets are designed to shred things much tougher than the human body."

from Al Jazeera's GOAT live blog -

http://blogs.aljazeera.net/africa/2011/02/22/live-blog-libya-feb-22
  • Swiffness!
    edited February 2011
    Options
    actual quotes from the 2nd, hour long speech Qaddaffi gave:

"Muammar Gaddafi is not a normal person that you can poison or lead a revolution against."

"Muammar Gaddafi is not the president, he is the leader of the revolution. He has nothing to lose. Revolution means sacrifice until the very end of your life."

"I will fight until the last drop of blood with the people behind me."

translation:

"HOW JU LIKE DAT, HUH?!?! JU ? MARICONS!!!! JU NEED A ? ARMY TO TAKE ME!!!!"
  • Swiffness!
    edited February 2011
    Options
    "As we were speaking, she said there was an old lady that just walked out onto her balcony that was immediately shot at and died. She didn't do anything, she didn't protest, she didn't even open her mouth and she was shot immediately."

Libya has been suspended from the Arab League, effective immediately.
  • Swiffness!
    edited February 2011
    Options
    9.47pm: Nicaragua's president, Daniel Ortega, says he has telephoned Muammar Gaddafi to express his solidarity with the embattled leader.

smh
  • Swiffness!
    edited February 2011
    Options
    10.00pm: Gaddafi spoke to Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi via telephone, telling him that "Libya is fine" and the truth about events in the country are being shown on state media.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Obama gonna do anything about this dictator massacring his own people?
  • Swiffness!
    edited February 2011
    Options
    10:04pm: "Gaddafi's No.2" Abdul Fatah Younis, Libyan minister of interior and army general - resigns. More to come.

10.11pm: Libya's defected interior minister has urged the Libyan army to join the people and respond to their "legitimate demands" echoing the language used by defecting Egyptian military leaders before the fall of president Hosni Mubarak.

stay tuned and get used to hearing that name
  • Swiffness!
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Obama gonna do anything about this dictator massacring his own people?

like what? even paul wolfowitz wants to wait for the U.N before scrambling the F-22s
  • Swiffness!
    edited February 2011
    Options
    hackers to the rescue. PEEP THE LOGO CONSPIRACY HEADS:

fax.jpg
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited February 2011
    Options
    "Even though a brutal dictator is killing hundreds of his own people... uh... now is the time to... uh... stay calm.... keep it cool... uh..."
    ---Barack Obama
  • Swiffness!
    edited February 2011
    Options
    STOP THE U.S WAR IN LIBYA!!!!!

• Swiffness!
    edited February 2011
    Options
    11.03pm: Libyans tell Al Jazeera the scariest part of Gaddafi's speech was when he spoke of not using force "yet" - given reports over the past few days of mercenaries, airstrikes and photos of burnt corpses and protesters hacked apart.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited February 2011
    Options
    okay so the president of the united states should do and say nothing?
  • Swiffness!
    edited February 2011
    Options
    11:29pm: Late last year, a Tunisian man, Mohamed Bouazizi, set himself alight in an act of protest against his government. That act sparked the protest movements that have since swept across the Middle East, causing regime change in both Tunisia and Egypt - and now Libya. Bouazizi's family has issued a statement of support for the Libyan people, and his mother has recorded a message for Al Jazeera. You must watch this.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited February 2011
    Options
    real american leadership on this issue:

4rxojb.gif
  • Swiffness!
    edited February 2011
    Options
    okay so the president of the united states should do

right, so he's not "doing" anything, he's been chilling the past couple days playing NBA2k while North Africa burns
    and say nothing?

just like in Iran, Ghaddaffi uses "U.S interference" as an excuse for everything

and what's gonna mean more to a Libyan rebel, some "we stand with you" speech from Obama or the mother of that Great Martyr's religious plea?
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited February 2011
    Options
    i unno, seems like during a series of democratic uprisings, the leader of the democratic party in a democracy should maybe do or say something effective
  • Swiffness!
    edited February 2011
    Options
    does america have interests to protect in libya

No, because the evil U.S empire failed in conquering them and seeding their landscape with McDonalds franchises.
  • Swiffness!
    edited February 2011
    Options
    i unno, seems like during a series of democratic uprisings

who said this uprising has anything to do with democracy?

11.25pm: Is Younis positioning himself to take over? He concludes:

From my knowledge of Gaddafi, he won't leave, he will stay to the end, but he will stay alone. Who will aid him? Everyone has abandoned him. The Eastern & Central Provinces have abandoned him. To Gaddafi I tell him: Please end your life by praying for the martyrs, ask for ? 's forgiveness and the people's.

To Libyan people, you are a brave people, stand courageously, Libya will become a strong country. What I know is that the Free Officers of Libya have stopped their support of Gaddafi, his Security Battalion remain. Stand courageously, people of Libya, and those in Tripoli and Zawya and all over the country.

11.20pm: Younis adds: "Gaddafi's speech was very clear to any one who has a brain. He is nervous, he is stubborn. He may commit suicide. Gaddafi won't leave. He may commit suicide or will be killed. I didn't wish for him to face such an end."

11.13pm: Former Gaddafi No.2, Abdul Fatah Younis being interviewed on Al Arabiya. Here's a rough translation of some of his comments, provided by @SultanAlQassemi:

The Libyan people have suffered too long. We have so much oil, the people could have lived as in a 5 star hotel.

Al Arabiya asks him: What happened?

There was a crowd of people outside my office, I was with my cousin. A bullet then went next to my right cheek, it hit my cousin who is in a very bad case now.

Gaddafi, that ? man, wanted to say that I was killed by protesters so that my tribe, the Obeidat, will stand by him.

"You were a Minister of Interior but you only choose to speak now?"

Younis: "I spoke to him 2 weeks before the revolution."

I told Gaddafi, we have too many unemployed youth. I want that ? person who shot my cousin to face justice .

I am not a two-faced man. I worked with Gaddafi for 42 years, I was shocked at his speech today.

I wish Gaddafi had instead said a prayer for the fallen youth in his last days in office.

Our plan now it to support the youth in Tripoli so that it is liberated like Benghazi was.

I offer my condolences to the fallen martyrs (reads a statement of support for the youth revolution).

I begged Gaddafi not to send planes, I called him. Now of course we don't speak, I have joined the revolution.

Citizens collected weapons & brought them to me, we put them in a massive (airplane) hanger for safekeeping.

I gave orders to my men in Benghazi not to shoot at protesters, not one of my men shot at protesters, those who shot belong to the Security Battalions. I guarantee that none of my men shot at protesters.

young gun want Moammar's spot!
  • Swiffness!
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Trill paleoconservative Daniel Larison explains why Wolfowitz - surprise surprise - is full of ? :

It was only a matter of time before political upheaval and violent repression in Arab countries led to calls for some form of U.S. military intervention. We can all agree that Gaddafi’s attacks on protesters are atrocious, but it is quite a leap from recognizing this and supporting possible military action against the armed forces of a government that has not actually done anything to the United States or our citizens in recent years. Lacking U.N. authorization, such a mission would be another U.S. intervention that it launched on its own authority.

It is doubtful that the U.N. Security Council would authorize a no-fly zone policy. The no-fly zones in Iraq were mainly ad hoc creations by the U.S. and Britain, which claimed authorization that the U.N. had never specifically given. Why are Russia and China going to approve of a policy designed to penalize a government for brutality toward civilians? That isn’t an argument for going around the U.N. It’s a real question for those advocating intervention: is the U.S. prepared to engage in yet another legally dubious, possibly open-ended commitment in policing the internal affairs of an Arab country with relatively few allies supporting our actions?

Not only would the U.S. very directly be taking sides in an internal Libyan conflict to which we are not party, but should enforcing such a no-fly zone could turn into a prolonged commitment that will be one more mission added to the burden of an already overstretched military. No-fly zones are the sort of easy-sounding response to an immediate problem that can turn into an endless policy. If the reason for the no-fly zone is to halt Gaddafi’s assault on civilians, it probably won’t be long before the no-fly zone evolves into an air war against Gaddafi’s ground forces to achieve the same end, and that might escalate into a new war for regime change. Libya’s internal conflict is just the sort of situation that Americans should have learned to avoid by now.

http://www.amconmag.com/larison/2011/02/22/the-problems-of-a-libyan-no-fly-zone/
  • Swiffness!
    edited February 2011
    Options
    rumsfeldmemo.jpg

Former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld has done an admirable job building out a digital document archive from his time in the government on his website, Rumsfeld.com. While I was watching the events in Libya unfold, I decided to search his papers to see what he'd written on the country. In so doing, I ran across a document that left me flabbergasted. It's a message (probably an email) that Rumsfeld sent to then Under Secretary of Defense for Policy Douglas Feith on April 7, 2003.

The memo's tone is so casual about such complex and important topics that it prompted Technology Review editor Jason Pontin to ask me on Twitter, "Is this a parody?"

But no, the memo is real.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2011/02/what-its-like-to-work-for-donald-rumsfeld/71521/
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    swiffness why have you still not responded to my afghanistan thread ?
  • one_manshow
    one_manshow Members Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    There is a war going outside on the streets of Libya that no man is safe from it don't matter if you anti-government or not....

a5e42d00-d43f-435c-bb5b-5b7ff065a16b_500.jpg
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    i unno, seems like during a series of democratic uprisings, the leader of the democratic party in a democracy should maybe do or say something effective

A great deal of the problems in Africa and the Middle East stem from the U.S. involving itself when it shouldn't have. Obama needs to worry about fixing this country.