What's So Good About DC?

I Am Him
I Am Him Members Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in Quite Comical
Let me start off by saying that the first comic book I ever read was an old Superman book. I love all the DC animated stuff and I like what they are doing with their video games, but strictly on a comic book basis, why should I care about the DC characters. I AM NOT SAYING MARVEL OR IMAGE IS BETTER, I just don't see any appeal in any of the DC characters, except for Red Robin and Batgirl. So my challenge is tell me why I should care about DC.

Comments

• Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    yea I've honestly never checked for they comics, the animated stuff they put out these days is really good though
  • IceManKam
    IceManKam Members Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    DC characters generally seem to be alittle more "realisitic" in terms of the fact that you'll more likely to find a Green Arrow in your city than a Captain American or Hulkish figure.
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Ehhh nowadays? not much really.

In its last heyday (late 90's-early 2000's IMO) DC had a really cohesive, shared universe and great character driven books with some of the industrys hottest talents (at the time) writing them. Plus they had the Elseworlds line, which brought us classics like Kingdom Come, Batman: Holy Terror, and Superman: Red Son.

These days, DC is tragically short on writing/art talent, has gotten extremely regressive (bringing back Hal Jordan, Barry Allen, killing off Ryan Choi so Ray Palmer can be the sole Atom, etc.), has a severe aversion to shaking up the status quo (with the exception of Batman), and (due to a lack of a clear focus and goal) has been consistently dropping the ball on some of their bigger projects (countdown, the JMS Wonder Woman and Superman projects, Final Crisis to an extent, Cry for Justice).

What's consistently been a selling point for DC tho is there's a greater sense of "mythology" with its stable of characters. Batman, Superman, and crew feel more iconic than their Marvel counterparts (probably because they're older and have been in the public consciousness longer ).

The scale at which the DC's fight is also far larger. The marvels, for the most part, fight on Earth against Earth based enemies and a Galactus level threat is pretty much the apex of Marvel enemies. DC's on the other hand? Yeah they've consistently fought threats to the multiverse as a whole. Which leads to the next point is that the DCs are far more powerful than the Marvels.

And finally, a huge selling point DC has been pushing the last 2 decades is the legacy aspect. Id say nearly 90% of DC's heroes are operating under a mantle used by someone previously OR they were inspired/derivative of another hero. That creates a greater sense of mythology and creates a more cohesive universe.
  • I Am Him
    edited February 2011
    You think DC characters are more realistic? Batman is my favorite DC character, but I don't care how much you prepare for a situation, there is no way this man with a rubber suit, some toys, and mastery of all martial arts should be able to do the stuff he does. In Batman Confiditial #53, he took the original Justice League by himself. So all it takes to knock Wonder Woman out is a kick to the stomach to knock the wind out of her? Daredevil gets his butt kicked all the time but he fights through the pain. I think that's more realistic than only having something happening to you during a major event.
  • I Am Him
    edited February 2011
    I have to say that the legacy aspect is the main reason I still read some DC. Red Robin and Batgirl are the best two DC books to me. As far as DC being more powerful, I agree, but that is also a downside because I find characters that can do any and everything to be boring. I think that is why MARVEL characters have had a better movie run than DC. I think it is more than a coincidence that DC's best movies were the ones about the character without powers.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Back in my comics book days, about 20 years ago, I was a Marvel fan because the characters were more 'down to earth' than the DC characters. Superman was damn near indestructible. Batman was a billionaire playboy genius. Wonder Woman was an Amazon goddess. Flash could not be stopped.

In Marvel, there were more human situations. Was never a fan of Spiderman, but he had issues with life, school, family. Iron Man had health and alcohol problems, mutants were seeking equality, Hulk/Banner etc.
  • joshuaboy
    edited February 2011
    But as said earlier, the recent DC animated movies have been great, except for the last two, which dropped off a bit in quality (maybe because they focused too much on Superman).
  • deadpoolRKO
    deadpoolRKO Members Posts: 441
    edited February 2011
    A lot of good points. Plus DC been main makin major moves lately. The new batman comic is doin numbers & DC Universe Online is AWESOME.

they're bankin on that $15 a month they're chargin but it's worth it
  • joshuaboy
    edited February 2011
    A lot of good points. Plus DC been main makin major moves lately. The new batman comic is doin numbers & DC Universe Online is AWESOME.

they're bankin on that $15 a month they're chargin but it's worth it

I played the BETA, it was good, but I don't really get into MMORPG's.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    i was big on the flash comics back in the day.. i think they were the 80's.....

i remeber when they had a drug that was a lot like ? that made people as fast as the flash... ? was called velocity 9 or some ? ....? was hilarious...
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Ksmart wrote: »
    DC characters generally seem to be alittle more "realisitic" in terms of the fact that you'll more likely to find a Green Arrow in your city than a Captain American or Hulkish figure.

think you got that back there

DC always been home of the ? (s)....damn Batman at that
  • jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    DC has the appeal of the most popular comic book characters in Superman & Batman and that's really about it. Marvel had a more realistic take than DC whereas there characters actually had personal issues to deal with as well as whatever superhero to fight. Batman is probably the closest if not only one in DC to have this trait..take Spidey for instance, this guy was a nerd who happened to be bitten by a radioactive spider and given abilities out of nowhere..throughout the years, Marvel has illustrated everything Spiderman has gone through from learning to deal with his powers as a kid, dealing with the loss of his uncle as well as his feelings for his aunt. He's dealt with numerous relationship issues even before marrying MJ. Not to mention, most of his rogues gallery are former friends and mentors. You'll find this theme with several Marvel characters. DC will always shine because of Bruce and Clark though
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited February 2011
    idk really i just always ? with the bats ? a "G"
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    dusouljah wrote: »
    i was big on the flash comics back in the day.. i think they were the 80's.....

i remeber when they had a drug that was a lot like ? that made people as fast as the flash... ? was called velocity 9 or some ? ....? was hilarious...

Damn Du didn't know you read comics at one point...Velocity 9 was during the Messner-Loebs era of The Flash. ...good times
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    LOL/SMH @ Batman beating Wonder Woman by kicking her in the stomach. really, b?

but to answer the thread:

1) let's face it, Superman and Batman are the most famous comic book heroes

2) DC has GOAT cartoons, Marvel has MF Doom & Ghostface samples

3) DC got "Mature" Comics ON LOCK. Who published Watchmen??? Vertigo my ? ?? Sheeeit, I just started reading The Invisibles and its ? INCREDIBLE.
  • DrMindbender122
    DrMindbender122 Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    I dunno why, but I've always rocked with Marvel over DC as a kid. Even today whenever I pick up a few titles, I instinctively stick with Marvel titles. Aside from occasionally reading Superman and Batman, DC characters never really appealled to me.

I might have to expand my horizons and start checking out some DC titles, though.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Damn Du didn't know you read comics at one point...Velocity 9 was during the Messner-Loebs era of The Flash. ...good times

moms popped up with like 3 or 4 shoe boxes of those flash comics one day.. i read all of them.. i read some star trek comics (forgot what they were about) and these who's who comics where they profiled everybody in the either marvel or dc universe, i can't remember i wanna say marvel...

and i remeber the dc vs marvel comic series...

that's it for me though++++++++++++++++++++++++
  • genocide_cutter
    genocide_cutter Members Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Many marvel Charecters are based on DC chars
  • Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    DC makes better tv shows and movies than comic nowadays imo