Do The Ladies F#ck Wit Nerds, Geeks, and Fanboys

Options
Maximus Rex
Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in The Powder Room
Saturday was a really big day for me. The reason being is that I got Larry Hama (long time writer of G.I. JOE and author of the G.I.JOE,) to autograph my Snake-Eyes, Baroness, and my two COBRA Commander posters. The next step is to get them framed with a a plate engraved with their file card entry. I also had Hama to autograph my copy of G.I. JOE #43. This issue holds immense sentinmential value for me because it's the first comic I ever bought. That collection is now 1,780 comic books. I also collect action figures and comic book related posters. My action figures are in storage. I don't how many I have, but my ? would be looking like the cat from "The 40 yr old ? . I guess I probably have anywhere from 30-40 comic book related posters. These posters will be eventually autographed and framed. My posters will be the art in my home. I also like sports with my alligience lying with the Bay Area sports teams, The 49ers,The Warriors, and of course my beloved Athletics. I enjoy reading too, especially things on current events, history, and the presidents. As a matter of fact my childhood nickname was president.

To put it all in a nutshell, I'm a nerdy fanboy. Of course during my teenage years, I tried to distance myself from the nerd moniker; however, when I got into my mid 20's, something dawned on me, I collected action figures and comics. I knew really acrane things about Star Wars and Robotech. I've had discussions with friends about who was a better captain, Kirk or Picard. Who was a better Decpetion commandeer, Megatron, Starscream, Galvatron, or Shockwave. I could name the original X-Men and Avengers. I think Stan Lee and Jack Kirby are the G.O.A.T. I then realized my hobbies and interests were the same of those as a 'so-called, "nerd," and by default that made me a nerd.

My question to the ladies is do you factor in a guy's hobbies and does a guy's interests make less or more desirable? Have you ever stopped ? with a dude because he had an action figure or comic book collection. When you found out that dude was a Dungeons and Dragons Dungeon Master, did you lose his number. Did you think a dude was immature because he had 40 anmie DVDs?

This post isn't a step up for for potential criticism. I sincerely want to know women factor in a guy's hobbies as whether or not
he's desirable and if so, why?

Comments

• I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    ladies ? w/ anything thats advertised properly

they are impressionable consumers (as well as america as a whole...not just women so dont flip lol) ....so get ur presentation proper and disregard the hype
  • kevmic
    kevmic Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    You have to find a woman who's into the same ? as you. I'm a big time comic geek and video game nerd. But my wife plays video games and read comics too. Whenever there is a Video game or comic book convention out here in Seattle we always go. Hell we going to one next weekend!! But it's really easy to be who you are around someone who can appreciate what you're into as well. Dating a chick who ain't even familiar with what you're into will always be an issue for her.

BTW- Jack Kirby is the man, but I'm also really into the work of Warren Ellis
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    kevmic wrote: »

Naw, Jack Kirby isn't the man. He's THE KING
  • kevmic
    kevmic Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Naw, Jack Kirby isn't the man. He's THE KING

LOL...indeed!!
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    wouldnt be a problem with me, not like it isnt positive

long as your not smokin weed, gangbangin, killin animals or ? someone else idc what your hobby is........
  • b@squ1@t redux
    b@squ1@t redux Members Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    what about geekboys?

and i dont do drugs

at all ever

promise :)

RIP my gimmick
  • Bussy_Getta
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Explain this "geekboy" thing
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    would you change your hobbies.. your ways.. if the consensus said No..??
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I would feel his conscientiousness towards things he holds to be special or have significant meaning to be a desired trait. If someone treats their material property with care an diligence the would probably do the same for a loved one.

I wouldn't mind if that was their passion, as long as they didn't make it a creepy part of our life.
  • Calii Comfort
    Calii Comfort Members Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    i didn't read any of that but my advice would be handle while you can.
  • DEE-LICIOUS
    DEE-LICIOUS Members Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I've never even met anyone who did any of that
  • zoepian
    zoepian Members Posts: 991
    edited February 2011
    Options
    ladies ? w/ anything thats advertised properly

they are impressionable consumers (as well as america as a whole...not just women so dont flip lol) ....so get ur presentation proper and disregard the hype

the truth.. its all about ur markettin skills (game) lol
  • zoepian
    zoepian Members Posts: 991
    edited February 2011
    Options
    wouldnt be a problem with me, not like it isnt positive

long as your not smokin weed, gangbangin, killin animals or ? someone else idc what your hobby is........

how u gon mix smoking weed and all those other ? up things???
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    as long as the ? isn't obssesive.. you shouldnt have any problems..

i always watched anime's, and all types of ? ppl would consider weird...

some of the chicks i dealt with found it funny, some found it cute, some thought it was weird, and some like my lady now thoguht it was interesting...

it changes from lady to lady.....i guess what i'm saying is basically, if it's a long term thing, she's going to ahve to be soeone who's cool with it atleast...which shouldn't be that hard if ur already dealing with a open minded person anyway...

more times than not any female who's really against it wouldn't make a good match with you anyway because of some other difference yall have....
  • junegemini
    junegemini Members Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    didn't read the post, but to answer the title...naw...im a nerd, i dont wanna sit around talking about nerdy/geeky ? with somebody else

i like em thuggish
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I've never met a man who had a comic book or action figure collection

I think it would be a turn off for me though.....
  • sdrawkcabseh
    sdrawkcabseh Members Posts: 1,237 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    kevmic wrote: »
    You have to find a woman who's into the same ? as you. I'm a big time comic geek and video game nerd. But my wife plays video games and read comics too. Whenever there is a Video game or comic book convention out here in Seattle we always go. Hell we going to one next weekend!! But it's really easy to be who you are around someone who can appreciate what you're into as well. Dating a chick who ain't even familiar with what you're into will always be an issue for her.

True and True. Just finished reading Warren Ellis' SuperGod and the entire Black Summer Series. The Warren Ellis and Juan Jose Ryp Collaborations are always good.
  • American.Loo
    American.Loo Members Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    junegemini wrote: »
    didn't read the post, but to answer the title...naw...im a nerd, i dont wanna sit around talking about nerdy/geeky ? with somebody else

i like em thuggish

why wouldnt you want someone to be interested in the same things you are?

im not into comics, but i think its awesome when to nerds find love, or two hip hop heads, whatever.

you still on the thugs though? what gives...
  • Bussy_Getta
    edited February 2011
    Options
    zoepian wrote: »
    how u gon mix smoking weed and all those other ? up things???

because im not interested in men who smoke
  • sdrawkcabseh
    sdrawkcabseh Members Posts: 1,237 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    ic women are just lies

smh at women on here sayin they are nerds

Well too, you gotta remember, most women aren't efficient in "thinking outside the box." Individuality is lost to them.
  • Ya Girl
    Ya Girl Members Posts: 85
    edited February 2011
    Options
    It's all preference. Finding a woman to accept your hobbies I doubt is a big issue as long as you got yourself together and it doesn't take from the relationship.
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    See this is why I need to take my ass to SDCC and find me a bad ? that cosplays.
  • Iheart~Cali
    Iheart~Cali Members Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Nerds, geeks, and fanboys don't really approach me so I wouldn't know. I always get the cocky ones.
  • junegemini
    junegemini Members Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    why wouldnt you want someone to be interested in the same things you are?

im not into comics, but i think its awesome when to nerds find love, or two hip hop heads, whatever.

you still on the thugs though? what gives...

thuggish* and we have the same interests...i'm not a sheltered nerd
  • Blue Virgo
    Blue Virgo Members Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Never been into comic books and I don't know if I could be with a guy that was obsessed with them--going to conventions and ? .