Do The Ladies F#ck Wit Nerds, Geeks, and Fanboys

Options

Comments

• Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    blue virgo wrote: »
    Never been into comic books and I don't know if I could be with a guy that was obsessed with them--going to conventions and ? .

Going to conventions is really just being dedicated/a leisure activity like going to a concert. Obsessed is cosplaying at every con, getting all your comics graded by the CGC, buying every single variant cover of a single issue, etc.
  • kevmic
    kevmic Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    True and True. Just finished reading Warren Ellis' SuperGod and the entire Black Summer Series. The Warren Ellis and Juan Jose Ryp Collaborations are always good.

Just finished Supergod, and Black Summer is an instant classic for me.
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    As long as you're cute and don't expect me to ? on spiderman sheets

We're all good
  • thehonorable
    thehonorable Members Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I try to match the splats on the sheets Haute.
  • jackthemack
    jackthemack Members Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    haute wrote: »

We're all good

Damn yo. I got Thundercats sheets. U can't rock wit dat?
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    haute wrote: »

We're all good

Would consider wearing the following outfits, (complete with hairstyles,) or putting green paint all over your body?

storm.jpg

carrie_fisher_slave_costume_princess_leia.jpg

uhura.bmp

dark_phoenix_by_steven_purtill_1.jpg
  • Maximus Rex
    edited February 2011
    Options
    It didn't fit, but Emma's White Queen Hellfire Club suit is a fanboy's ? too.

White+Queen+Statue+Retro+Version.jpg
  • sdrawkcabseh
    sdrawkcabseh Members Posts: 1,237 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    kevmic wrote: »
    Just finished Supergod, and Black Summer is an instant classic for me.

Have you read the Authority or Desolation Jones?
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I love Spiderman comics and have always loved Spiderman comics for as long as I can remember.. there's a million childish things women do that nobody criticizes them for so any woman who thinks it's "childish" because for recreation I like to read Spiderman comics and graphic novels I really feel can kiss my ass
  • Blue Virgo
    Blue Virgo Members Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Going to conventions is really just being dedicated/a leisure activity like going to a concert. Obsessed is cosplaying at every con, getting all your comics graded by the CGC, buying every single variant cover of a single issue, etc.

Well yeah, it's an extreme. I just don't want to be with someone that has to travel to every convention, dressing up like the characters, and spending hella money on "collectibles".
    Just reading, that's fine.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Well yeah, it's an extreme. I just don't want to be with someone that has to travel to every convention, dressing up like the characters, and spending hella money on "collectibles".

that's just being obsessive...furthest i take my love of spiderman is i had a pair of shoes with spiderman airbrushed on them...that's about it lol
  • Blazedadon87x
    Blazedadon87x Members Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    i enjoy anime like Bleach,Yu Yu Hakusho,and full metal alchemist...but i will never go to those anime conventions dressing up like a charcter though....

i only met at least 3 females that look above average in my life that actually watch anime to be honest
  • Blue Virgo
    edited March 2011
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    that's just being obsessive...furthest i take my love of spiderman is i had a pair of shoes with spiderman airbrushed on them...that's about it lol

that's good in my book.
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I like to roll play and all that

but I would never date a guy who dressed up like a superhero to go to some convention

that's creepy as hell
  • robdaze151
    robdaze151 Banned Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    In the Hierarchy of social misfits Nerds are the most common thing. We dabble in the real uncommon things( comics, gaming tech stuff etc) that being said we can usually adapt to any social environment and unless admitted usually go undetected. Sure we frequent conventions, comic stores and sci-fi movies but we can still get the girls

Fanboys are the same as nerds but do everything to an unbearable degree. The are the die hard fans of whatever genre they are attached to and let it encircle their entire life. Fanboys don't usually get the girl and when they do it's usually a fangirl. Which can be cool i guess if you want a Star wars theme wedding where all the grooms dress as storm troopers or you plan on naming your first born Tiberious.

geeks are teh bottom of the totem pole. they are either into hi-tech, RPG board games, card games and magic tricks ( because they actually think they are wizards from magic the gathering) They are also into comics which is the only relation between them and nerds. geeks never ever get the girls and if they do then it is an anomoly within the universe. they typically are the ones in there moms basement stuffing there fat faces wearing nothing but a star wars shirt and tighty whities playing WOWC.
  • Maximus Rex
    edited March 2011
    Options

How is that different from wearing clothes that accenuate your shape, paying $30 to get in a very crowded venue to hear songs that are played on the radio? Then paying $10 for a drink. Dressing up like a chracter is no different than wearing a jersey to a sporting event, having your hair like Nicki, or getting some asinine tattoo that you swear up and down that captures your individuality.

detective-comics27.jpg

$1,075,500

1-1.jpg

$1,000,000

amazing-fantasy15.jpg

$50,000

94-1.jpg

$950

I think it's fair to say that these books have retained their value a hella lot better than a $500 pair of shoes or $1500 bag ever will.
  • Blue Virgo
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Okay, absolutely none of that applies to me.
  • robdaze151
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Cuz do you own any of those?
    I remember i had spawn back when it was priced at $1,000. Me being the collector i am wanted to hold onto it. Went to check the price about 5 years back and they were willing to give me $3 for it.
  • robdaze151
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I like to roll play and all that

but I would never date a guy who dressed up like a superhero to go to some convention

that's creepy as hell

what if he dressed up as conan just for you in the bedroom? could you get into that?
    I personally dress up as Kratos and have my girl pretend she's Herra the goddess. Her guts definitely feel like the been pillaged and conquered after a round of that.
  • Maximus Rex
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Okay, absolutely none of that applies to me.

However, you don't question why people do it. You find going to a comic book or sci fi convention "as extreme." There's a purpose for going to such things. Even though I do it, I find it odd that women will get dressed up, wearing revealing clothing, pay $30 to get into a club, just to dance to songs they hear on the radio, and get offened when dudes try to holla.
  • thehonorable
    thehonorable Members Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    However, you don't question why people do it. You find going to a comic book or sci fi convention "as extreme." There's a purpose for going to such things. Even though I do it, I find it odd that women will get dressed up, wearing revealing clothing, pay $30 to get into a club, just to dance to songs they hear on the radio, and get offened when dudes try to holla.

So you wear revealing clothing to the club dude?
  • Blue Virgo
    edited March 2011
    Options

LMAO!!!! Who said I don't question it?
    I think it's a waste of money and people usually living above their means trying to keep up with the Jones'--kinda pathetic....similarly to people dressing up like superman and batman traveling thousands of miles to get an autograph from a washed up actor at a convention.
  • Maximus Rex
    edited March 2011
    Options
    LMAO!!!! Who said I don't question it?
    I think it's a waste of money and people usually living above their means trying to keep up with the Jones'--kinda pathetic....similarly to people dressing up like superman and batman traveling thousands of miles to get an autograph from a washed up actor at a convention.

Comic book conventions are regional events and one is usually near your town. ? like the Star Wars and Star Trek conventions are usually held in one town. Again, it's what your hobbies are. Being a fanboy, I can appreciate it. As far as washed up actors, some of these people are major pop culture icons or have a relevence to the event that's taking place. I'm sure if you were to list some of your hobbies, I can speak about how incredibly wack it is.
  • Maximus Rex
    edited March 2011
    Options
    robdaze151 wrote: »
    Cuz do you own any of those?
    I remember i had spawn back when it was priced at $1,000. Me being the collector i am wanted to hold onto it. Went to check the price about 5 years back and they were willing to give me $3 for it.

I wish. Though X-Men 94 is a reachable goal. Hopefully I'll have that book in a few years. These are my most valuable books.

the-amazing-spider-man-300-301-1st-app-venom_180608179698.jpg

Amazing Spidey 300 and 301. I bought these books from the local bodega, (shows you how long ago that was,) They're in V.G.-F (very good or fine,) condition are worth $60
  • Blue Virgo
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Comic book conventions are regional events and one is usually near your town. ? like the Star Wars and Star Trek conventions are usually held in one town. Again, it's what your hobbies are. Being a fanboy, I can appreciate it. As far as washed up actors, some of these people are major pop culture icons or have a relevence to the event that's taking place. I'm sure if you were to list some of your hobbies, I can speak about how incredibly wack it is.
    And I wouldn't care--your opinion. You're the one in here catching feelings. You don't have to defend your hobby to me. I gave my opinion on it and I'm sticking with it.