Beck finally apologizes for something outlandish

Options
tru_m.a.c
tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2011 in The Social Lounge
And wouldn't you kno, it involves the Jews........

Beck: 'I blew it' comparing rabbis to Islamic radicals
By Dan Gilgoff, CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Glenn Beck is apologizing for remarks he made on his radio show comparing rabbis from a major Jewish tradition to Islamic radicals, saying, “I was wrong on this and I also apologize for it.”

“In this case I didn’t do enough homework,” Beck told radio listeners on Thursday, while his website said his comments contained “one of the worst analogies of all time.”

On Tuesday, Beck said on his show that “reformed rabbis are generally political in nature.”

“It's almost like Islam - radicalized Islam,” he continued, “in a way to where radicalized Islam is less about religion than it is about politics."

Beck’s comments came after a group of 400 rabbis, many from the Reform movement, took out a full-page ad in The Wall Street Journal blasting him for comments he made about the Holocaust.

Beck, who also hosts a show on Fox News, had aired a radio series about financier George Soros that accused him of collaborating with the Nazis to send Jews to death camps, according to the Jewish Funds for Justice, which sponsored the ad.

Soros is Jewish.

The Reform movement, founded in 19th century Germany, counts a million and a half Jews in North America, according to the Union for Reform Judaism.

Beck sent a letter to the Anti-Defamation League, a group that works to combat anti-Semitism, to apologize for his remarks.

“I was admittedly misinformed on Reform rabbis, and made a horrible analogy that I immediately attempted to clarify - quite honestly, I blew it on this one,” Beck wrote, according to a copy of the letter released by the Anti-Defamation League.
Anti-Defamation League National Director Abraham H. Foxman says he accepts Beck’s apology.

“Glenn Beck has shown that he understands how his remarks were offensive and out of line,” Foxman said in a statement Thursday. “We welcome his words of apology and consider the matter closed.”

The Jewish Funds for Justice, meanwhile, said Beck’s apology did not go far enough.

“Glenn Beck’s apology for comparing Reform Judaism to ‘radicalized Islam’ is welcome but incomplete,” the group said in a statement.

“While we are heartened to hear him recognize his ignorance,” the statement continued, “he still has not acknowledged that the letter signed by 400 rabbis and organized by Jewish Funds for Justice represented a cross-section of denominations, including Orthodox, Conservative, Reconstructionist, and Renewal rabbis."

Now maybe he's apologized for ? before. Personally, I don't know. But for him to admit that his remarks were "one of the worse analogies of all time" has to mean somebody chewed him up. Now if only we could get that same person to comment on his philosophies in general......

Comments

• Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Beck has been getting a little too loose lately taking about the jews that control the world (mwahahahahahahaha). I knew the jjjjj-unit wasn't gonna let that fly, they didn't find that whole blood libel thing amusing either, that was when I knew it was curtains for palin.
  • tru_m.a.c
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Jonas.dini wrote: »
    Beck has been getting a little too loose lately taking about the jews that control the world (mwahahahahahahaha). I knew the jjjjj-unit wasn't gonna let that fly, they didn't find that whole blood libel thing amusing either, that was when I knew it was curtains for palin.

pretty much....so I guess the way we destroy conspiracist is by having them perform career suicide by talking about the jews
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    did he apologise to obamas kids yet?
  • tru_m.a.c
    edited February 2011
    Options
    gns wrote: »

lol nah that's neeeever coming
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited February 2011
    Options
    gns wrote: »
    wasn't that one of those things where he kind of apologized but didn't address why he did it in the first place after making a big deal about such comments being off-limits? or am i thinking of some other talking head on cable?
  • John Prewett
    John Prewett Members Posts: 755
    edited February 2011
    Options
    tru_m.a.c wrote: »
    pretty much....so I guess the way we destroy conspiracist is by having them perform career suicide by talking about the jews

An even more "third rail" subject is inordainate Roman Catholic influence on American government politics/ policy.

[search engine: "third rail"]
  • Mr. 66Hundred
    Mr. 66Hundred Members Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    An even more "third rail" subject is inordainate Roman Catholic influence on American government politics/ policy.

[search engine: "third rail"]

so if I was a politician who criticized the Pope for havin too much influence in the US I could pretty much kiss my career goodbye?

well that succs
  • John Prewett
    John Prewett Members Posts: 755
    edited February 2011
    Options
    so if I was a politician who criticized the Pope for havin too much influence in the US I could pretty much kiss my career goodbye? well that succs

I've never heard a politician even vaugely insinuate the Vatican/pope has too much influence in the US.

Politicians understand: "Don't get into fights with people who buy ink by the barrel"

For starters: http://www.mosquitonet.com/~prewett/holyalliance1of2.html

http://www.mosquitonet.com/~prewett/files.html