Leonardo Dicaprio has a strong case to be the best actor of his generation...

Options

Comments

• Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ed norton>>>leo
  • starvin
    starvin Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
  • makaveli4ever
    makaveli4ever Members Posts: 826
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Leo is dope as hell. But I think Norton is better.
  • jonlakadeadmic
    jonlakadeadmic Members Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    speaking of norton...i feel like watching Boiler Room bad
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Since's Leo's 1st movie was in 1990, we now have 21 years of Leo to make a good judgement and it's clear he's Top 5 of this generation. 1st he's one of the few actors that never has done a sequel which mean's that Leo is mostly doing original films. He's worked with some of the greatest directors Ever including Spielberg and Scorsese and some of the greatest actors including Deniro, Hanks and Nicholson. He actually has a lot of Classic or near Classic films in his catalog.

It's Clear Leo is Top 5 of this generation. I could see a case for Deep, Bale and Norton being better actor's overall than Leo from this past era but you won't find 5. To me Leo has gotten better and better with age. But this past year though both "Inception" and "Shutter Island" were really good films. They were kinda of the same character in a way, the whole (Is he crazy or isn't he). I want Leo to branch out and play an all out villain or just something to shake up his performances. Overall though got love for Leo, he's the man. I feel like I grew up with him cause we are pretty close in age.
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    At the end of the day, its all just a matter of opinion, so whats the point?
  • Iheart~Cali
    Iheart~Cali Members Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Since's Leo's 1st movie was in 1990, we now have 21 years of Leo to make a good judgement and it's clear he's Top 5 of this generation. 1st he's one of the few actors that never has done a sequel which mean's that Leo is mostly doing original films. He's worked with some of the greatest directors Ever including Spielberg and Scorsese and some of the greatest actors including Deniro, Hanks and Nicholson. He actually has a lot of Classic or near Classic films in his catalog.

It's Clear Leo is Top 5 of this generation. I could see a case for Deep, Bale and Norton being better actor's overall than Leo from this past era but you won't find 5. To me Leo has gotten better and better with age. But this past year though both "Inception" and "Shutter Island" were really good films. They were kinda of the same character in a way, the whole (Is he crazy or isn't he). I want Leo to branch out and play an all out villain or just something to shake up his performances. Overall though got love for Leo, he's the man. I feel like I grew up with him cause we are pretty close in age.

I agree with the majority of this, although I wouldn't put Depp, Bale, or Norton over Leo. Even yes, but not above.

About the bolded, if you're looking for some variety try What's Eating Gilbert Grape where he plays a mentally-handicapped kid, and The Basketball Diaries where he plays a drug addict. He was phenomenal in both of those.
  • Iheart~Cali
    edited March 2011
    Options
    stoneface wrote: »
    At the end of the day, its all just a matter of opinion, so whats the point?

The point is to debate and discuss and get different takes on it. That's the point of the whole forum isn't it?
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Dicaprio is the truth but he's lacking a dimension in his multifacted acting ability..playing a villain because I truly believe he would ? that ? . That's the only thing missing, but other than that, Leo definitely one of the best in this generation. And co-sign Cali... Christian Bale and Johnny Depp are about on the same level as Leo, not above.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Dicaprio is the truth but he's lacking a dimension in his multifacted acting ability..playing a villain because I truly believe he would ? that ? . That's the only thing missing, but other than that, Leo definitely one of the best in this generation. And co-sign Cali... Christian Bale and Johnny Depp are about on the same level as Leo, not above.

yep............
  • stoneface
    edited March 2011
    Options
    The point is to debate and discuss and get different takes on it. That's the point of the whole forum isn't it?

Yeah, i know, but as fascinating as everyone's take is, I dont think anyone's gonna change their mind off of em'
  • Maalik
    Maalik Members Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Norton has a few ? performances....thats enough to knock him out for me...

Depp is great. He's one of the best...

Bale had a few bombs but, he's in the conversation just off of American ? alone LOL...i love that film....
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I don't think working with the best directors in the game automatically qualifies you as a "great" actor.

Example: Tom Cruise who has worked with everyone from Kubrick (RIP) to JJ Abrams
  • allied
    allied Members Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Maalik wrote: »
    Norton has a few ? performances....thats enough to knock him out for me...

Depp is great. He's one of the best...
    Bale had a few bombs but, he's in the conversation just off of American ? alone LOL...i love that film....

Please elaborate on this Depp is one of the most overrated actors today. He's good but hasn't done anything outstanding in years.
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    allied wrote: »
    Please elaborate on this Depp is one of the most overrated actors today. He's good but hasn't done anything outstanding in years.
    Please elaborate on what makes Leo a great actor... He plays the same type of personality in every movie... Depp has been in so many different roles with deeper characters that show multiple expressions
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I disagree with this thread, dude is extremely mediocre as hell. Him and Keannu Reeves just so luck up and always get the best roles for some reason, despite their mediocreness. It's kind of hard to ? up a Scorsesse movie and all these roles he has been getting.

SMH at his ? ass acting in Blood Diamonds, horrible accent.
  • Iheart~Cali
    edited March 2011
    Options
    stoneface wrote: »
    Yeah, i know, but as fascinating as everyone's take is, I dont think anyone's gonna change their mind off of em'

No one need change their mind. It's just for the sake of discussion.
  • Iheart~Cali
    edited March 2011
    Options
    allied wrote: »

I've never been too impressed with Depp either. He's off to me, but that's about it. And I don't see it as a big stretch to play off-kilter roles like Edward Scissorhands or Jack Sparrow or Sweeney Todd because he's a weirdo in real life. It's not like he has to really reach for that.
  • Iheart~Cali
    edited March 2011
    Options

Agreed. Every great actor has a key villain role in his filmography. But Leo's still young and he hasn't done alot of movies by anybody's standards. Something like 25 which is next to nothing. So give it some time.....I'm seeing a deranged felon in a legal drama. Ya that would be nice.
  • makaveli4ever
    makaveli4ever Members Posts: 826
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I am looking forward to seeing him play Hoover.
  • stoneface
    edited March 2011
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    I disagree with this thread, dude is extremely mediocre as hell. Him and Keannu Reeves just so luck up and always get the best roles for some reason, despite their mediocreness. It's kind of hard to ? up a Scorsesse movie and all these roles he has been getting.

I like Leo Dicaprio and all, but Im glad someone else noticed, or was willing to admit this
  • Gooner
    Gooner Members Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Norton and Bale imo>>>>
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »

Hes just an overrated dull boring avg actor.... He really doesnt seem to add anything to his roles hes just the same dude
  • Maalik
    Maalik Members Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Why people keep sayin Leo gets good roles....cmon bruh....every movie he's been in was just a role given to him? You dont make 5-8 great movies by just getting roles handed to you, it gotta be somethin the director likes about you
  • allied
    allied Members Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Please elaborate on what makes Leo a great actor... He plays the same type of personality in every movie... Depp has been in so many different roles with deeper characters that show multiple expressions

I don't think Leo's a great actor either I just wanted to know what makes Depp so great. Cause from what I've seen the last best roles he's done has been in those ? Pirates movies and Alice and Wonderland. What am I'm missing? And I'm talking about recent performances. I'll give you Public Enemies if you want but that was just OKAY.