The Knowledge Thread. Ask anything.

Options
Knives Amilli
Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2011 in Quite Comical
I realize that comics (being a serial media and all) can seem incomprehensible and getting up to date on certain characters and franchise can be difficult, even with sources like Wikipedia. So if you have any comic related questions, I (and other posters im sure) will do our best to answer them .

Comments

• CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    here's a couple.. so im watchin Black Panther the other day.. and dude was gettin in Captain America's ass.. he's no alien so i wouldnt even try and pit him against Supes or someone else with magical powers..
    but who u think would win out of BP and BatMan??

after watchin that short film i think i may have a new favorite super hero.. AND he's black..
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    speaking of black panther, is the series still on hiatus? reginald hudlin still ? up?

is hush(red mask or wtf) ? wit nightwing?

whats the deal with aqua lads daddy?
  • Knives Amilli
    edited February 2011
    Options
    CapitalB wrote: »
    here's a couple.. so im watchin Black Panther the other day.. and dude was gettin in Captain America's ass.. he's no alien so i wouldnt even try and pit him against Supes or someone else with magical powers..
    but who u think would win out of BP and BatMan??

after watchin that short film i think i may have a new favorite super hero.. AND he's black..

Good question....Id say Black Panther. The Panther is just as cunning as Batman and has enhanced abilities. Plus the Panther is just as good of a fighter as Capt. America (who CANONICALLY as in OFFICIALLY can beat Batman).
  • CapitalB
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Good question....Id say Black Panther. The Panther is just as cunning as Batman and has enhanced abilities. Plus the Panther is just as good of a fighter as Capt. America (who CANONICALLY as in OFFICIALLY can beat Batman).

BOOM! looks like i got a new favorite. lol

aiight.. my next one.. w/o Kryptonite.. who ? with Supes??
    i think its kind of ? up he the only one with a weakness but i digress..
  • Knives Amilli
    edited February 2011
    Options
    gns wrote: »
    speaking of black panther, is the series still on hiatus? reginald hudlin still ? up?

is hush(red mask or wtf) ? wit nightwing?

whats the deal with aqua lads daddy?

Black Panther is being relaunched as Black Panther: Man Without Fear. David Liss is writing it and T'Challa will be the BP of the series. Premise is that BP is taking over guarding Hell's Kitchen for Daredevil after he was presumed dead during the Shadowlands crossover.

Hush most recently had gotten plastic surgery to pose as Bruce Wayne (who was presumed dead at the time). ? Grayson (formerly Nightwing, now Batman) pretty much had to let Hush go on with the charade since Hush wouldve outed the Batfams secrets if taken down. But now that Bruce is back, Hush is on his last legs and is currently moving against the batfam in the pages of Batman: Streets of Gotham (issues 14-20 entitled "House of Hush").

And the current Aqualads father is Black Manta (long time Aquaman villian).
  • Knives Amilli
    edited February 2011
    Options
    BOOM! looks like i got a new favorite. lol

aiight.. my next one.. w/o Kryptonite.. who ? with Supes??
    i think its kind of ? up he the only one with a weakness but i digress..

Many people actually.

As far as heroes go, the classic example of someone on Superman's level is Captain Marvel (y'know the little kid who says "SHAZAM" and becomes a superpowered adult?). Marvel is extremely strong can fly, fast, highly resistant (but not invulnerable like Superman) and has the "wisdom of solomon" which makes him a very cunning fighter. Plus his powers are derived from magic, something Superman has no defense against. Marvel's villian counterpart, Black Adam, is also on par with Supes being that he and Marvel have the same powers. 'Cept Adam is a grown man and has no qualms about killing.

There's also Superman derivatives like Supergirl, Superboy, Power Girl and Mon-El who are all slightly, if not just as powerful as Superman.

A few others are Wonder Woman, The Martian Manhunter, and the Green Lanterns.

As far as Villians a few examples are:
    Doomsday (the monster who killed Superman but died in the process)
    Darkseid (evil despot, worst of the New Gods)
    Bizarro (faulty Superman clone)
    General Zod (mortal enemy of Superman's Kryptonian dad, has Superman's powers when exposed to yellow sun just like SUperman)
    Mongul (really strong alien conqueror)

but there are way more since if Superman were way too powerful for his villians, they're wouldn't be any drama in his stories.
  • MrJR
    MrJR Members Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Superman said The Martian Manhunter is one of the most powerful superhero ever is that true
  • Knives Amilli
    edited February 2011
    Options
    MrJR wrote: »
    Superman said The Martian Manhunter is one of the most powerful superhero ever is that true

Very.

His powerset is super strength, speed, enhanced sense (tho not as good as Superman's probably), flight, shape shifting, density manipulation (Can go intangible like a ghost or as dense as a planets core), invisibility, telepathy (probably the greatest telepath on Earth) and this heat visiion type of power called Martian Vision. He's a beast.
  • CapitalB
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Very.

His powerset is super strength, speed, enhanced sense (tho not as good as Superman's probably), flight, shape shifting, density manipulation (Can go intangible like a ghost or as dense as a planets core), invisibility, telepathy (probably the greatest telepath on Earth) and this heat visiion type of power called Martian Vision. He's a beast.

if he sounds black when he talks i may switch favs again. hahahaha
  • arbitration
    arbitration Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    The First Captain America (the black one that they ? up the super human formula on and now has the mentality of a 6 year old) - did Marvel ever do anything with his story? They love killing off and bringing heroes back to life, I was wondering if they ever had him get his mind right and start whoopin ass. Also, is he stronger than the current Cap?
  • Knives Amilli
    edited February 2011
    Options
    The First Captain America (the black one that they ? up the super human formula on and now has the mentality of a 6 year old) - did Marvel ever do anything with his story? They love killing off and bringing heroes back to life, I was wondering if they ever had him get his mind right and start whoopin ass. Also, is he stronger than the current Cap?

They developed his story to an extent. They created two characters spinning out of his origin: Josiah x and eli bradley aka patriot of the young avengers. Josiah was basically the son Isaiah (black cap) never knew about and grew up most his live without knowing his origin. He inherited his fathers powers and was featured prominently in the short-lived BLk panther spin off called "The Crew"

Eli Bradley was isaiahs grandson and spent his entire life looking up to him and hating the govt (and steve Rogers) for what they did to his grandpa. when iron lad needed superpowered peoplewith connections to avengers, he came to Elis house looking for Josiah, but found eli who lied about having powers in order to join the team. He'd ending up getting super soldier powers from a blood transfusion from hi. Grandpa and is still apart of the team to this day.

And isaiah was probably just as strong as steve Rogers.
  • arbitration
    arbitration Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Damn, I wish they had at least given him a run. Oh well.

This thread will soon become the GOAT in Quite Comical.

My next question is what is this stuff I'm hearing about Xavier not being as good and noble as people make him out to be? Didn't he have a storyline where it was revealed he did some f*cked up stuff?
  • Knives Amilli
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Damn, I wish they had at least given him a run. Oh well.

This thread will soon become the GOAT in Quite Comical.

My next question is what is this stuff I'm hearing about Xavier not being as good and noble as people make him out to be? Didn't he have a storyline where it was revealed he did some f*cked up stuff?

If you want to read more about him, I recommend Young Avengers. The bulk of the series is only 12 issues long (the series went on hiatus and never resumed its ongoing status and only 2 worthwhile miniseries have been released: Young Avengers Presents and Avengers: Children's Crusade) While its his grandson thats doing the superheroing, its pleasing seeing someone carry on Isaiah's legacy.

And as far as Xavier being crooked? Yeah its kind of a running joke among fandom that another skeleton falls out of his closet every year.

What it is I think writers wanted to show that many people with good intentions (particularly revolutionists and those promoting social change) have to make "for the greater good" type of decisions, even at the hinderence of living beings.

The three biggest revelations readers found about Xavier was:

1. There was a team of X-Men assembled BEFORE the All New X-Men. The all new x men was, prior to the Jim Lee era team (the era the 90's cartoon is loosely based off of), the most famous iteration of the team. The All News (assembled in '75) featured, for the first time, many fan favorites such as Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler and Wolverine (who had previously been a Hulk enemy).

For those who don't know, the All news were assembled to rescue Jean Grey, Iceman,Beast, Angel, Polaris, and Havok from a mutant island named Krakoa.

What we found out was that the team assembled before the All News had already been sent in to rescue the captured X-Men. And died trying. Xavier then mindwiped Cyclops (the only member who escaped the initial capturing and the only xman who knew of the slaughtered team) to spare him the pain of not only knowing that a team of xmen died to save him BUT that also one of those dead xmen was his brother, a guy named Vulcan (who'd come back to haunt the xmen in a big way). (this story was collected as X-Men: Deadly Genesis).

2. The other bit of news that surfaced was that after upgrading the danger room with advanced Sh'iar technology, it became sentient/self aware. Xavier (being a very powerful telepath and all) picked up on its initial thoughts, but decided to ignore it and further "subjugated" it as a training facility and just that, without ever telling anyone or acknowledging its sentience.

That was until it became self aware enough to fully turn on the X Men and manipulate them in freeing her (yes the danger room is a woman) from her central CPU. She's on the X-Men's side now tho. (all of this BTW can be found in the Astonishing X-Men: Danger trade paperback.

3. and finally Xavier was the mutant representative of a secret society (dubbed the Illuminati, no Hova) composed of the Marvel Universe's most powerful and influential men. (Reed Richards aka Mr. Fantastic=Smartest man on earth leader of the Fantastic Four, Tony Stark aka Iron Man=Billionaire genius industrialist and influential founding member of the Avengers, Black Bolt=king of the Inhumans, Dr. Stranger=Earth's Sorcerer Supreme: the absolute authority of Magic and Namor the Sub Mariner=king of Atlantis and king of the seas) who not only kept their existence secret from the rest of the heroes (except Black Panther who they initially offered membership but he declined on the reason that there shouldn't be anyone behind the scenes, manipulating people and events in their favor) but in being "proactive", ended up instigating the Hulk's attack on New York and the Skrull invasion.
  • DrMindbender122
    DrMindbender122 Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    If you want to read more about him, I recommend Young Avengers. The bulk of the series is ony 12 issues long (the series went on hiatus and never resumed its ongoing status and only 2 worthwhile miniseries have been released: Young Avengers Presents and Avengers: Children's Crusade) While its his grandson thats doing the superheroing, its pleasing seeing someone carry on Isaiah's legacy.

And as far as Xavier being crooked? Yeah its kind of a running joke among fandom that another skeleton falls out of his closet every year.

What it is I think writers wanted to show that many people with good intentions (particularly revolutionists and those promoting social change) have to make "for the greater good" type of decisions, even at the hinderence of living beings.

The three biggest revelations readers found about Xavier was

A. There was a team of X-Men assembled BEFORE the All New X-Men. The all new x men was, prior to the Jim Lee era team (the era the 90's cartoon is loosely based off of), the most famous iteration of the team. The All News (assembled in 75) featured, for the first time, many fan favorites such as Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler and Wolverine (who had previously been a Hulk enemy).

For those who don't know, the All news were assembled to rescue Jean Grey, Iceman, Angel, Polaris, and Havok from a mutant island named Krakoa.

What we found out was that the team assembled before the All News had already been sent in to rescue them. And died trying. Xavier then mindwiped Cyclops (the only member who escaped the initial capturing and the only xman who knew of the slaughtered team) to spare him the pain of not only knowing that a team of xmen died to save him BUT that also one of those dead xmen was his brother, a guy named Vulcan (who'd come back to haunt the xmen in a big way). (this stor y was collected as X-Men:Deadly Genesis).

B. The other bit of news that surfaced was that after upgrading the danger room with advanced Sh'iar technology, it became sentient. Xavier (being a very powerful telepath and all) picked up on its initial thoughts, but decided to ignore it and further "subjegated" it as a training facility and just that, without ever telling anyone or acknowledging is sentience.

THat was until it became self aware enough to fully turn on the X Men and manipulate them in freeing her (yes the danger room is a woman) from her central CPU. She's on the X-Men's side now tho. (all of this BTW can be afound in the Astonishing X-Men: Danger TPB).

C. and finally Xavier was the mutant representative of a secret society composed of the Marvel Universe's most powerful and influential men (Reed Richards aka Mr. Fantastic=Smartest man on earth leader of the Fantastic Four, Tony Stark aka Iron Man=Billionaire genius industriaist and influential member of the Avengers, Black Bolt=king of the Inhumans, Dr. Stranger=Earth's Sorceror Supreme: the absolute authority of Magic and Namor the Sub Mariner=king of Atlantis and king of the seas) who not only kept their existence secret from ther rest of the heroes (except Black Panther who they intially offered membershit but he declined) but in being "proactive", ended upnstigating the Hulk's attack on New York and the Skrull invasion.

That fight with the Hulk and the X-teams was epic as hell; he ran right through them. His climatic fight with the Sentry was trill, too.
  • Knives Amilli
    edited February 2011
    Options
    if he sounds black when he talks i may switch favs again. hahahaha

Funnily enough, the Martian Manhunter has on many occasion been the only "colored" member (he's green) of the Justice League and many fans have dubbed him as the unofficial "black guy" of the Justice League when there aren't any Blacks present.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    break down the post crisis beef with lex and joker to me, i was reading up on it on wiki once, and it seemed like something i might wanna chekc out
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    oh and what is post crisis??
  • Knives Amilli
    edited February 2011
    Options
    dusouljah wrote: »
    break down the post crisis beef with lex and joker to me, i was reading up on it on wiki once, and it seemed like something i might wanna chekc out

Lex and the Joker have a....unique relationship. In some instances, they've allied with each other out of the mutual goal of taking out Superman, Batman or a third party enemy. Other times (and generally for the most part), the Joker usually is a unaccounted for x factor in Luthors larger plans and Lex usually has to attempt to take him out or at least tolerate him long enough.

Post Crisis usually refers to after "Crisis on Infinite Earths (1986)" a company wide crossover which served as a retroactive reboot of the DC universe.
  • GrizTitan
    GrizTitan Members Posts: 2,075 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Why are most white comics not funny to their black counterparts and vise versa. Even though the subject matter is the same?
  • CapitalB
    edited February 2011
    Options
    how do u know all this ? ??!?!?
  • Knives Amilli
    edited February 2011
    Options
    GrizTitan wrote: »
    Why are most white comics not funny to their black counterparts and vise versa. Even though the subject matter is the same?

B you takling about comic books or Stand up Comedians/comics?
  • Knives Amilli
    edited February 2011
    Options
    how do u know all this ? ??!?!?

Years invested, B.

And comics is a serial medium. Like sometimes you have know 40 years of a characters history to understand a six issue storyline. Which is why this thread is here, cuz comics are a ? to get into.
  • GrizTitan
    GrizTitan Members Posts: 2,075 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    B you takling about comic books or Stand up Comedians/comics?
    Comedians............
  • CapitalB
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Years invested, B.

And comics is a serial medium. Like sometimes you have know 40 years of a characters history to understand a six issue storyline. Which is why this thread is here, cuz comics are a ? to get into.

my ? 's a walkin wikipedia hahahaha

i use to ? with comics heavy when i was a kid.. my cousins use to laugh at me..
    i use to draw too.. use to steal the wizard mags out the store. hahaha
  • Knives Amilli
    edited February 2011
    Options
    GrizTitan wrote: »
    Comedians............

Uhhh this is about comic books...but IMO whether we like to admit it or not, there's very subtle differences in races. Tone, delivery, lexicon, mannerisms all matter in comedic material and can make all the difference. White people and Black audiences just naturally respond differently to these subtleties, even if the subject matter is at its core the same.