There can only be 3 contenders for GOAT Boxer. Who do u pick and why?

Comments

• Mumo X
    Mumo X Banned Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    cobbland wrote: »
    Roy Jones.

He can beat everyone SRR fought.

are you kiddin me?

smh
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    cobbland wrote: »
    Roy Jones.

He can beat everyone SRR fought.

lmao.......
  • MR.CJ
    edited March 2011
    so mumo x where do you ranked SRR?
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    because he might the greatest defensive fighter of all time

Floyd, Pernell and Winky Wright are all way better
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    first few words of the thread got dominance in it yet "the brown bomber" ain't in the options? FOH
  • wescravin
    wescravin Members Posts: 156
    edited March 2011
    wtf julio cesar chavez gets no ? love.... where the boxin fans at??
  • smittysmith
    smittysmith Members Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Nicolino Loche was best defensive fighter ever.

LMAO at Chavez being in conversation for GOAT.
  • Mantequilla
    Mantequilla Members Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    The 1st time I saw Locche v Fuji (Only last year & In damn Color too, Youtube is the GOAT) ? instantly became one of my All Time Fav fights

Locche played Matador & put on a clinic, Im pretty sure I counted a few rounds where Fuji didnt land a single clean shot, embarrassed him really badly. Nothing worse than being beat down by someone feather-? physically & dieing in the Ring mentally
  • Mumo X
    edited March 2011
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    so mumo x where do you ranked SRR?

I hav him 3rd behind Ali and Jack Johnson.

Whats yo list CJ?
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Ali
    Hearns
    Jack.J

Them my 3 all-time favorites,i threw jack in there because he was knocking racist white men out while going through all tha b/s back in those times.I wanted to say roy joes soo bad, but the way he feel off after losing to antonio tarver tainted him TO ME.
  • MR.CJ
    edited March 2011
    Mumo X wrote: »
    I hav him 3rd behind Ali and Jack Johnson.

Whats yo list CJ?

1. SRR
    2. Ali
    3. Jack
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Wilfredo Benitez was great defensively as well
  • Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    My personal favorites

1 - Ali

2 - Tyson

3 - Holyfield/Jones
  • Toothpik
    Toothpik Members Posts: 192
    edited March 2011
    yea im surprised iron mike aint getting no love..i mean sure he beat up on nobody's but so did jack johnson and SRR....Tyson was the baddest dude on the planet for a while...Ali vs Tyson in their primes GOAT fight...
  • Mantequilla
    edited March 2011
    Toothpik wrote: »
    robinson was great and all but its just like the rocky marciano argument...who the hell did robinson fight?name me 5 boxers robinson fought who are even close to top 50...

Ali, easily....he was fighting in the toughest era of boxing vs some of the greats..Liston, Patterson, Norton, Frazier, Foreman, Spinks and so on....robinson may be best of his weight class, but ali is the GOAT...period...Ali/MJ best athletes eva...

Like I said, CS aint built for Classic Boxing discussion. Aint even worth debating fam, you win on sheer ignorance.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    the brown bomber defended the title like 10 times within a 1 year span...and fought in front of ? ....how dare he not be mentioned in this thread
  • Mumo X
    edited March 2011
    Toothpik wrote: »
    yea im surprised iron mike aint getting no love..i mean sure he beat up on nobody's but so did jack johnson and SRR....Tyson was the baddest dude on the planet for a while...Ali vs Tyson in their primes GOAT fight...

SRR record is jus ridiculous,that wil never be matchd by anyone.

JJ revolutionized the sport, the first Black heavyweight champion then add the fact that he experienced racism and naked bigotry. He dint fold, he ko'd the racist opponents and hz arrogance and boldness infuriated the white race.

Tyson be in my top 5. When he came to the scene he wuz xplosive. Power,quick footwork,lateral movement. Prison took away hz best yrs
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Mumo X wrote: »
    I loved how Johnson had the white man shook....his outspokeness, arrogance, boldness and how he infuriated and taunted the white race.

When Johnson finally won the title, his victory caused an ideological crisis throughout the U.S. The media whipped up a frenzy around the need for a "A Great White Hope to restore order to the world.

Former champion Jim Jeffries came out of retirement and said, "I am going into this fight for the sole purpose of proving that a white man is better than a ? . At the fight, which took place in 1910, the ringside band played a song called, "All ? look alike to me, and promoters led the all-white crowd in the chant "? the ? .

But Johnson was faster, stronger and smarter than Jeffries, knocking him out with ease. After Johnson's victory, there were race riots around the country--in Illinois, Missouri, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Colorado, Texas and Washington, D.C. Most of the riots consisted of white lynch mobs attempting to enter Black neighborhoods, and Blacks fighting back.

This reaction to a boxing match was the most widespread simultaneous racial uprising in the U.S. until the riots that followed the 1968 assassination of civil rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Black leaders, such as Booker T. Washington, pushed Johnson to condemn African Americans for rioting.

Cosign.....Ali is the GOAT. No one will ever touch him.

Ali defied the racist amerikkkan government and alienated mainstream Amerikkka because he stood up for his principles. he refused induction into the US Army during the height of the war in Vietnam and his boxing license wez suspended. Hiz prime boxing years were taken away from him. He represented the struggle for afrikan americans and afrika. The fact that Best pound for pound fighter joined Nation of Islam at that time had white america shook...fought in the toughest era ever witnessed in boxing....defeated frazier,foreman...

this ? is infatuated with me......why you been checkin my profile? lame ass

chuuuuuch!!!!!!

? ?

They showed that jack johnson fight on tv about 8 years ago......the cameraman cut the camera off just as jack johnson was gonna put that k.o. blow on him.......white people was running into the ring and tryin to save him and ?
  • Mumo X
    edited March 2011
    They showed that jack johnson fight on tv about 8 years ago......the cameraman cut the camera off just as jack johnson was gonna put that k.o. blow on him.......white people was running into the ring and tryin to save him and ?

LOL!!

Word. Not even the racist media,promoters and white bigots runnin into the ring could stop Jack Johnson.

JJ wuz Muhammad Ali before Muhammad Ali
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    bossdon201 wrote: »
    * *fixed* *

false

Jack Johnson learned how to box from a white Jewish man. U mad?

Joe Choynski from Poland.
  • Mantequilla
    edited March 2011
    Just had to bump this one more time

Mumo, on the real there are only really 4 boxers ever discussed in legitimate circles that have a claim to be the Greatest Boxer All-Time P4P, there order interchangeable If you make a strong enough case... But Basically

- Robinson (scumbag of a person outside the ring for the record)
    - Greb
    - Armstrong
    - Langford

Head & shoulders above the rest P4P, the number of HOF Fighters fought & beaten between the 4 is amazing, the ability to fight well above their natural weight classes (Original 8) & win credible world titles, frequency of quality opponents fought & longevity set them apart and make them Immortal

Probably personally my fav boxer is a toss up between Duran/Charles, P4P all time great fighters themselves but arguing a case for them in that top tier is tough (Charles is maybe on the fringe)
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Jack Johnson was the first ? /Uncle tom in pro sports (he laid the blueprint for OJ)
  • Mantequilla
    edited March 2011
    For any Katz interested in ol' skol Great Black Fighters that never got the Title shots they deserved, Read up on the Black Murderers Row if you havnt already

Springs does a damn good job breaking down a Few in his column and creating a believable backdrop to go with it (Burley & Chase)

http://www.thesweetscience.com/columnists/springs-toledo
  • Mumo X
    edited March 2011

Mumo, on the real there are only really 4 boxers ever discussed in legitimate circles that have a claim to be the Greatest Boxer All-Time P4P, there order interchangeable If you make a strong enough case... But Basically

- Greb
    - Armstrong
    - Langford

Head & shoulders above the rest P4P, the number of HOF Fighters fought & beaten between the 4 is amazing, the ability to fight well above their natural weight classes (Original 8) & win credible world titles, frequency of quality opponents fought & longevity set them apart and make them Immortal

Probably personally my fav boxer is a toss up between Duran/Charles, P4P all time great fighters themselves but arguing a case for them in that top tier is tough (Charles is maybe on the fringe)

To each his own but Sam Langford is wayyy underated. thats my honest opinion. Dude wuz a monster, not even blindeness would prevent him fighting. Prolly the Greatest fighter not to hav won a world title. I dont put him in the GOAT convo cuz we dont know if he could hav held his own if he had fought Johnson but it wuznt hiz fault tho.

Joe Loius, Armstrrong,Dempsey,Greb,Duran.......lots of true boxing fans hav them in they top 5 or in some cases as GOATs but i feel like the 3 I mentioned had a bigger impact and more influential in the game.

Mantequilla, i dont get why a person wit Boxing knowledge like yah could omit the Great Ali from the GOAT Convo? thats jus wrong. Muhammad Ali fought in the toughest Era. Show me any fighter in the top 10 that beat up so many legendary great fighters like Ali did?

How bout SRR's record? i highly doubt it will ever be matched let alone topped?

How bout Jack Johnson, the first black heavyweight champion?
    For any Katz interested in ol' skol Great Black Fighters that never got the Title shots they deserved, Read up on the Black Murderers Row if you havnt already

Springs does a damn good job breaking down a Few in his column and creating a believable backdrop to go with it (Burley & Chase)

http://www.thesweetscience.com/columnists/springs-toledo

thanks for the drop. will get down to it........
  • Seansosa
    Seansosa Members Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011

- Greb
    - Armstrong
    - Langford

what did robinson do out side the ring that made him such?