It her looks.

Mediocre singer.

Mediocre piano player.

Mediocre albums.
  • arbitration
    arbitration Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Does anyone else think Alicia damaged her voice at some point in the early 2000's? I remember in "Fallin" she hit that insane high note, but perhaps singing the song at live shows strained her vocal chords to the point where she can't do it anymore. Can anyone point to a recent song where she demonstrated the same range she had when she first came out?

Either way, Alicia >> most out right now.
  • makaveli4ever
    makaveli4ever Members Posts: 826
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Alicia usually performs well live. She just had a bad performance last night. I think she actually makes good music. Her first few albums are classics. I dotn think her voice is average.
  • Still Cool Beans
    Still Cool Beans Members Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    ^^Classic is a bit much IMO but her first two albums were definitely great albums. Third and fourth...just okay. I dig Alicia though.
  • dr. zero_ahh
    dr. zero_ahh Members Posts: 299
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Pre-2005, Alicia Keys was actually one of the more talented R&B singers. Before 2005, she was knowledgeable of the concept of voice range and harmony, which is why her first two albums were so great in addition to her lyrics and soulful style. Also, it seems like she put her entire soul, creativity, etc. into her first two albums. Stop me if this sounds familiar now Marine. The third album didn't quite live up to the first two, but was still at best decent and the fourth was well...below average considering the high standards she set with her first two albums. Alicia Keys is the Nas of R&B and I look for her to come out with her Stillmatic (that's if Swizz didn't ? all the creativity and soul out of her). Beyonce has a big voice, but does nothing with it. Keyshia Cole cannot sing at all. She's terrible.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Pre-2005, Alicia Keys was actually one of the more talented R&B singers. Before 2005, she was knowledgeable of the concept of voice range and harmony, which is why her first two albums were so great in addition to her lyrics and soulful style. Also, it seems like she put her entire soul, creativity, etc. into her first two albums. Stop me if this sounds familiar now Marine. The third album didn't quite live up to the first two, but was still at best decent and the fourth was well...below average considering the high standards she set with her first two albums. Alicia Keys is the Nas of R&B and I look for her to come out with her Stillmatic (that's if Swizz didn't ? all the creativity and soul out of her). Beyonce has a big voice, but does nothing with it. Keyshia Cole cannot sing at all. She's terrible.

I was gonna draw the same comparison but i didn't want to go there.
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Everything you just said is what irks me, she is not famous for her raw talent per se (singing and performing) but more known for being anti pop and different than what's out there. Is she a better singer than Beyonce, Keysha Cole, Lady Gaga,etc; hell no. It's as if people look over her mediocre voice and redundant sounding albums for the fact that she pushes this mother earth image (wise, classy, well spoken, i am every woman). Since when has being a pop artist per se (alicia is pop too) have a negative conotation to it like anything those artist are doing is less than what A Keys is doing, talent is talent period.

Beyonce isn't famous for her raw talent, either. Neither is Lady GaGa. Keyshia Cole surely isn't, either, because she doesn't have any.

Being a pop star doesn't have a negative connotation. Being a stripper does, though. If someone like Beyonce stopped acting like she was an extra in The Player's Club and made music with a little more substance, and not this pop fluff, I think people would respect her more.
  • usmarin3
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    Beyonce isn't famous for her raw talent, either. Neither is Lady GaGa. Keyshia Cole surely isn't, either, because she doesn't have any.

Being a pop star doesn't have a negative connotation. Being a stripper does, though. If someone like Beyonce stopped acting like she was an extra in The Player's Club and made music with a little more substance, and not this pop fluff, I think people would respect her more.

First of all all those ladies voices are way better than A Keys period, and what beyonce is doing is no different than what Tina Turner,Madonna,Dianna Ross,etc did. Lets not act like they were doing gospel and wearing saris, they used their sexuality and blended it with their talent too. Substance is a relative term too, you're acting like Beyonce is making music that say "come and ? me", the ? is on par with any song Janet Jackson did; she is just the alpha female right now and people criticize her for ? that other artist do or did.
  • Punisher__
    edited February 2010
    Options
    First of all all those ladies voices are way better than A Keys period, and what beyonce is doing is no different than what Tina Turner,Madonna,Dianna Ross,etc did. Lets not act like they were doing gospel and wearing saris, they used their sexuality and blended it with their talent too. Substance is a relative term too, you're acting like Beyonce is making music that say "come and ? me", the ? is on par with any song Janet Jackson did; she is just the alpha female right now and people criticize her for ? that other artist do or did.

Have you listened to Rhythm Nation 1814? Or The Velvet Rope? Janet has more socially conscious lyrics on one album than Beyonce has had in her 10 year+ career.
    Same with Madonna. Have you heard Ray of Light? Or Like a Prayer?

A great portion of Beyonce's catalog is pop fluff. Dreck. Most of which she doesn't even write, BTW. I have never seen one artist's contribution to their own material be questioned as much as Beyonce's.

And Keyshia Cole can't sing worth a lick. That girl is seriously tone deaf.
  • usmarin3
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Have you listened to Rhythm Nation 1814? Or The Velvet Rope? Janet has more socially conscious lyrics on one album than Beyonce has had in her 10 year+ career.
    Same with Madonna. Have you heard Ray of Light? Or Like a Prayer?

A great portion of Beyonce's catalog is pop fluff. Dreck. Most of which she doesn't even write, BTW. I have never seen one artist's contribution to their own material be questioned as much as Beyonce's.

And Keyshia Cole can't sing worth a lick. That girl is seriously tone deaf.

Yes i have, and Janet Jackson is one of the most sexual artist ever; i don't know what the ? you've been listening to and same for Madonna. lol at you calling the Velvet Rope conscious, that album is sexual as ? and same for Madonna, every now and then they will push the envelope but that wasn't until later on in their careers; Beyonce is only 3 albums deep. People need to stop acting her whole albums is on some Single Ladies ? too because it's not, she has songs with substance (flaws and all, etc) but because she doesn't push that bs Winnie Mandella image people pigeonhole her. Yall wouldn't judge Marvin Gaye based off of songs like Sexual Healing, Lets get it on, and say all he was is a sexual artist; there is more to the artist if you go beyond the singles.

A great majority of Janet, Madonna, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carrey, Diana "disco" Ross,etc ? is pop stuff too if you're gonna paint all artist with a broad stroke.
  • Punisher__
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Yes i have, and Janet Jackson is one of the most sexual artist ever; i don't know what the ? you've been listening to and same for Madonna. lol at you calling the Velvet Rope conscious, that album is sexual as ? and same for Madonna, every now and then they will push the envelope but that wasn't until later on in their careers; Beyonce is only 3 albums deep. People need to stop acting her whole albums is on some Single Ladies ? too because it's not, she has songs with substance (flaws and all, etc) but because she doesn't push that bs Winnie Mandella image people pigeonhole her. Yall wouldn't judge Marvin Gaye based off of songs like Sexual Healing, Lets get it on, and say all he was is a sexual artist; there is more to the artist if you go beyond the singles.

A great majority of Janet, Madonna, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carrey, Diana "disco" Ross,etc ? is pop stuff too if you're gonna paint all artist with a broad stroke.

So you haven't heard Rhythm Nation 1814 and Like a Prayer? And you obviously haven't heard Ray of Light, because there was absolutely NOTHING sexual about that album.

When you listen to those albums, then you can speak on it.
  • usmarin3
    edited February 2010
    Options
    So you haven't heard Rhythm Nation 1814 and Like a Prayer? And you obviously haven't heard Ray of Light, because there was absolutely NOTHING sexual about that album.

When you listen to those albums, then you can speak on it.

Yes, i have Rhytmn Nation album amongst many other Janet albums and heard Like a Prayer, I have heard Ray of Light too (Frozen is a dope song and video). I listen to all types of music, the point i was making is stop being a hypocrite and pigeonholing certain artist to a certain songs/music and letting other artist get away with the same ? . As for that other ? , I have all those albums and you're the one who don't know what the ? what youre talking about mentioning Velvet Rope as socially conscious when it's probably Janets most sexual album ever.
  • Punisher__
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Yes, i have Rhytmn Nation album amongst many other Janet albums and heard Like a Prayer, I have heard Ray of Light too (Frozen is a dope song and video). I listen to all types of music, the point i was making is stop being a hypocrite and pigeonholing certain artist to a certain songs/music and letting other artist get away with the same ? . As for that other ? , I have all those albums and you're the one who don't know what the ? what youre talking about mentioning Velvet Rope as socially conscious when it's probably Janets most sexual album ever.

Who is being a hypocrite? I said, emphatically, that Janet has more socially conscious songs than Beyonce. That's a fact. Madonna has more socially conscious songs than Beyonce. That is also a fact. And the likes of Janet and Madonna weren't "later in their careers" when they started to convey more deep thought into their music. We're talking early in their careers when they took that change of direction.

You're acting as if the likes of Janet and Madonna are all hype/sex, with very little substance. And that's false. Beyonce, on the other hand, is all hype/sex, with very little substance.

So where's the hypocrisy?
  • usmarin3
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Who is being a hypocrite? I said, emphatically, that Janet has more socially conscious songs than Beyonce. That's a fact. Madonna has more socially conscious songs than Beyonce. That is also a fact. And the likes of Janet and Madonna weren't "later in their careers" when they started to convey more deep thought into their music. We're talking early in their careers when they took that change of direction.

You're acting as if the likes of Janet and Madonna are all hype/sex, with very little substance. And that's false. Beyonce, on the other hand, is all hype/sex, with very little substance.

So where's the hypocrisy?

Lol I never said they were, don't give me that circular argument ? . I said if Beyonce is all that then so are those artist, since people want to pigeonhole Beyonce to those things. Stay on topic and stop tryna twist ? around to make you're point. As far as Madonna and Janet, it wasn't until their fourth album when they made Rhytmn Nation and Like a Prayer, Beyonces next album will be her fourth.
  • Punisher__
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Lol I never said they were, don't give me that circular argument ? . I said if Beyonce is all that then so are those artist, since people want to pigeonhole Beyonce to those things. Stay on topic and stop tryna twist ? around to make you're point. As far as Madonna and Janet, it wasn't until their fourth album when they made Rhytmn Nation and Like a Prayer, Beyonces next album will be her fourth.

You do realize that Beyonce has been an active recording artist for over a decade, right? She has written and "produced" songs for Destiny's Child. So don't act as if she's some new solo artist who just so happened to be on her fourth album. She's been making albums since 1997.

If Beyonce was really an artist whose music contained substance, then it wouldn't have taken her this long (4th studio album), to create an LP that is universally considered "deep." It would've happened by now.

You seem to have a problem with the fact that Beyonce makes pop fluff, and that's all she's been making for 13 years. None of her music is timeless. It's just currently what's "hot" at the moment. She doesn't make classics.
  • usmarin3
    edited February 2010
    Options
    You do realize that Beyonce has been an active recording artist for over a decade, right? She has written and "produced" songs for Destiny's Child. So don't act as if she's some new solo artist who just so happened to be on her fourth album. She's been making albums since 1997.

If Beyonce was really an artist whose music contained substance, then it wouldn't have taken her this long (4th studio album), to create an LP that is universally considered "deep." It would've happened by now.

You seem to have a problem with the fact that Beyonce makes pop fluff, and that's all she's been making for 13 years. None of her music is timeless. It's just currently what's "hot" at the moment. She doesn't make classics.

The chick was damn 15 in 1997, you act like their is a certain age when people come into their own; not everyone mature at the same pace. Like i said, words like deep are relative terms; what may not be deep to you might be to someone else. I feel this thread is getting off topic so i'll leave saying this, the same ? they say about Beyonce is the same ? they said about Whitney Houston and 20 years later Whitney is still here and her music is timeless. The same people saying her music was too pop sounding or she wasn't black enough are the same people in the pull pit today.
  • Still Cool Beans
    Still Cool Beans Members Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options

To be fair to Janet though, she had no creative control over her music until her third album. I mean she sang the songs on the first two albums but neither were a real reflection of her. And the "Velvet Rope" album had a lot of sexual elements but that album arguably has the most substance of any Janet album save for maybe "Rhythm Nation". That album was a lot more than just sex. Beyonce has yet to approach a "Velvet Rope" or a "Rhythm Nation", and because she's so comfortable with playing it safe I'm not sure she ever will. The potential is there but musically, she's an under achiever as far as I'm concerned.
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Love her as a singer...
    but man is she starting to lose that voice!
  • real_hh_rep
    real_hh_rep Members Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Alicia has talent, no doubt about it. Her first 2 albums were excellent from start to finish with "Diary" being the best of them. I feel like she became lazy lately, especially with her lyrics. She's dumbing it down. She still has style and grace, but if she wants to be among A-list soul singers ,she should step her lyrical game up.