whats the best time of day to work out?

Options
Hatter
Hatter Members Posts: 2,451 ✭✭
edited March 2011 in The Weight Room
Im tryin to get right for the summer and im setting my workout schedual so when is it?

early mornin?

evening?

Late afternoon?

Comments

• truth spitter
    truth spitter Members Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    when is the best time for you??? do u work, go to school? plan it around your schedule

I usually work out in the morning/late morning around...between 10-12...honestly cause it's less people in my gym during this time...I hate going when it's packed
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    when is the best time for you??? do u work, go to school? plan it around your schedule

I usually work out in the morning/late morning around...between 10-12...honestly cause it's less people in my gym during this time...I hate going when it's packed

I thinking working out in the mornings burns the most calories..I could be wrong though. right now the way the weather is I like to get in in the afternoon or maybe during lunch time.
  • truth spitter
    truth spitter Members Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I thinking working out in the mornings burns the most calories..I could be wrong though. right now the way the weather is I like to get in in the afternoon or maybe during lunch time.

if u mean cardio on an empty stomach experts say that's the best time cause of carb depletion..but im not to sure about that
  • Conscious__Nkechi
    Conscious__Nkechi Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    From what I've learned in the past any time of the day will get you results but first thing in the morning is the most effective time.

"When you do your cardio workout, you are burning calories. Lets say you wake up, eat breakfast, eat lunch later in the day, and then a few hours after lunch, you do your cardio. All you will be doing during that cardio is burning the calories and carbs of the food you just ate. When you do cardio first thing in the morning, you haven't eaten anything for the last 8 or so hours because you were sleeping. So, when your body sees that there are no carbs to burn, it goes directly to stored bodyfat. And stored bodyfat is the fat that is on your body, which is the fat that you want to lose!"
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    From what I've learned in the past any time of the day will get you results but first thing in the morning is the most effective time.

"When you do your cardio workout, you are burning calories. Lets say you wake up, eat breakfast, eat lunch later in the day, and then a few hours after lunch, you do your cardio. All you will be doing during that cardio is burning the calories and carbs of the food you just ate. When you do cardio first thing in the morning, you haven't eaten anything for the last 8 or so hours because you were sleeping. So, when your body sees that there are no carbs to burn, it goes directly to stored bodyfat. And stored bodyfat is the fat that is on your body, which is the fat that you want to lose!"

............makes a whole lot of sense.......when the warm weather really comes within the next 2 weeks im back to morning cardio.
  • BP OIL SPILL FACE
    BP OIL SPILL FACE Members Posts: 2,526 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    It really don't matter to me. At times, I workout before I go to bed(which can be at around 2AM), in the afternoon, or at night time.
  • Conscious__Nkechi
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ............makes a whole lot of sense.......when the warm weather really comes within the next 2 weeks im back to morning cardio.

I am not even a morning person but it's when I feel the most pumped at the same time.
  • Conscious__Nkechi
    edited March 2011
    Options
    It really don't matter to me. At times, I workout before I go to bed(which can be at around 2AM), in the afternoon, or at night time.

I used to do this (workout before bed) and it was good and bad all at the same time. I got way too energized and the adrenaline made it nearly impossible for me to fall asleep immediately after. A hot shower helped but even still, I stayed up long after which I didn't like.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I think cardio in the morning jumpstarts the metabolism a little better throughout the day. It not like its ever pointless to workout at any point in the day though.
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    I think cardio in the morning jumpstarts the metabolism a little better throughout the day. It not like its ever pointless to workout at any point in the day though.

this..working out in the am + drinking cold water first thing as u wake up...the best thing to start your metabolism
  • BP OIL SPILL FACE
    BP OIL SPILL FACE Members Posts: 2,526 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I used to do this (workout before bed) and it was good and bad all at the same time. I got way too energized and the adrenaline made it nearly impossible for me to fall asleep immediately after. A hot shower helped but even still, I stayed up long after which I didn't like.

Wow, really? lol I be knocked out like a light when I workout at night/early morning before bed.
  • Nthngis4vr
    Nthngis4vr Members Posts: 2,171 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I like working out 1st thing in the morning but I stay up too late at night .

The best time for me is within 30 mins to an hour of when I get home from work. I hate having to cook, eat and work out. I skip workouts more often like that.
  • mike06
    mike06 Members Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I like working out 1st thing in the morning but I stay up too late at night .

The best time for me is within 30 mins to an hour of when I get home from work. I hate having to cook, eat and work out. I skip workouts more often like that.

yeah this is me right here...i already work an hour from my house so morning workouts are damn near impossible(i'd have to wake up like 4 in the morning just to leave by 5:30) and if i can get home and stay focused on working out as soon as i get home then im good to go...but i might have to figure out a way to try and workout in the morning now that i hear it's the most effective

i do remember back in HS i had monring weight training and that gave me more energy for the day...but then i had football practice later in the day and that ? sucked(sore muscles in heat with 40 lbs on ya body....no bueno)