Atmosphere: The Family Sign (April 12th, 2011) Track list, Promotional Video + Single

RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in The Essence
atmosphere_tfs_cover_500.jpg

Atmosphere have released information on their 7th studio album, dropping April 12th, 2011.
Atmosphere wrote:
Atmosphere returns with their 7th official studio album and the newest addition to their unparalleled body of work. The Family Sign comes from a place well refined and firmly planted, from a universal perspective. It's about being okay with losing friends and strengthening your bonds with others, celebrating the person who's been the most positive in your life, your kids, your homies, leaving the people you need to behind, and bringing the ones you love with you. It's about your family, your time and the time you have with them. It's about living and dying. It's the truth about family, that it comes from loyalty as much as biology. It's about breaking down your perceptions of family and really appreciating the people who've made you who you are and continue doing so.

The Family Sign is Atmosphere's most personal and intimate album yet; it involves and engages the listener like never before. Slug's signature voice weaves in and out of Ant's ASR-born production, Nate Collis' bluesy guitar riffs and the sound of Erick Anderson's unmistakable keys giving The Family Sign a fresh, unique edge without sacrificing Atmosphere's signature sound. Join the Family April 12th, 2011.

Track list:
1) My Key
2) The Last to Say
3) Became
4) Just For Show
5) She's Enough
6) Bad Bad Daddy
7) Millenium Dodo
8) Who I'll Never Be
9) I Don't Need Brighter Days
10) Ain't Nobody
11) Your Name Here
12) If You Can Save Me Now
13) Something So
14) My Notes

They seem to be releasing a promotional family therapy video to youtube each week, the first of which has just dropped today:

Wasn't sure what to make of the video, although the bit about the guitar was quite funny... I think this is going to be worth checking out!

Anyways, here's the first single, Just For Show:

Doesn't have me amped like 'You', but nevertheless, hyped!!! As if March wasn't good enough!

Comments

• ninjasenses
    ninjasenses Members Posts: 157
    edited March 2011
    pumped for to hear something new from them...however what the ? was with that therapy video? I get its supposed to be a satire its just dumb as ? IMO!! hahah. The song aint that bad but It doesnt impress me that much either. Hopefully they'll have some better songs...
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    YES!!!! definitly guna cop this....

I Listen to Atmopshere more than any hip hop act. i just checked all my itunes count, and i keep all their ? heavy in rotation.

Its just grown music.... no gimics, just good rhymes, storytelling and musically creative beats.
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    dope!!! been waiting on some new ? from them. first day cop!!!
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2011
    pumped for to hear something new from them...however what the ? was with that therapy video? I get its supposed to be a satire its just dumb as ? IMO!! hahah. The song aint that bad but It doesnt impress me that much either. Hopefully they'll have some better songs...

Lol, I actually enjoyed it as I thought it was pretty funny in places and can imagine the series being pretty good, like the drawing that's going to be on video number 2.

That said, I know what you mean about the single, maybe it's the only one on the album that they think isn't too heavy if it's a really personal album. WLGYL is a top 20 album of the 00's IMO. They have a lot to do to reach even close to that... by the way, new Artist of the Month is up, I did CYNE this time :tu
    stupot0607 wrote: »
    YES!!!! definitly guna cop this....

I Listen to Atmopshere more than any hip hop act. i just checked all my itunes count, and i keep all their ? heavy in rotation.

Its just grown music.... no gimics, just good rhymes, storytelling and musically creative beats.

Haha I remember trying to recoup every single album that they've ever put out, but then I couldn't get through it all, so much good music over the years, definitely going to get this as well, unless it's not up to scratch with WLGYL as I'm going to cop that one instead.
    satyrone wrote: »
    dope!!! been waiting on some new ? from them. first day cop!!!

2011 is going to be an even greater year than expected, we haven't even scratched the surface and four months in we should have 5 great albums, it's unreal.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Stoked! been waiting for a new album for years!
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Lol, I actually enjoyed it as I thought it was pretty funny in places and can imagine the series being pretty good, like the drawing that's going to be on video number 2.

That said, I know what you mean about the single, maybe it's the only one on the album that they think isn't too heavy if it's a really personal album. WLGYL is a top 20 album of the 00's IMO. They have a lot to do to reach even close to that... by the way, new Artist of the Month is up, I did CYNE this time :tu

Haha I remember trying to recoup every single album that they've ever put out, but then I couldn't get through it all, so much good music over the years, definitely going to get this as well, unless it's not up to scratch with WLGYL as I'm going to cop that one instead.

2011 is going to be an even greater year than expected, we haven't even scratched the surface and four months in we should have 5 great albums, it's unreal.

i know im alrady gonna spend hella money this month alone on music. something i havent done in a long time
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2011
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Stoked! been waiting for a new album for years!

haha 3 in total...
    satyrone wrote: »
    i know im alrady gonna spend hella money this month alone on music. something i havent done in a long time

It's bad in many ways, good in others... really pleased though, probably the best monthly period in Independent hip hop and mainstream hip hop for a long time.
  • ty the great
    ty the great Members Posts: 162
    edited March 2011
    My most anticipated release of the year. Only listened to Just For Show so far, which is dope as hell, but I'll save the rest of the leaks for when the full this drops. Expecting something really good, looks like they are continuing down the storytelling path of When Life Gives You Lemons.
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2011
    My most anticipated release of the year. Only listened to Just For Show so far, which is dope as hell, but I'll save the rest of the leaks for when the full this drops. Expecting something really good, looks like they are continuing down the storytelling path of When Life Gives You Lemons.

Do you really feel Just For Show on the level of tracks on WLGYL though? I wasn't feeling it as much...
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    I really like the beat on just for show but i think the lyrics should have been different. wasnt the right topic or something for the beat. WLGYL is gonna be hard to follow and i do not think they will make this release better than that, but i know it will be a solid release still and on repeat on my ipod for months ha
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2011
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    I really like the beat on just for show but i think the lyrics should have been different. wasnt the right topic or something for the beat. WLGYL is gonna be hard to follow and i do not think they will make this release better than that, but i know it will be a solid release still and on repeat on my ipod for months ha

haha I can agree with you there! I just thought their single would have been nicer...
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2011
  • stupot0607
    edited March 2011
  • ty the great
    ty the great Members Posts: 162
    edited March 2011
    Do you really feel Just For Show on the level of tracks on WLGYL though? I wasn't feeling it as much...

Its not quite on the level of tracks on When Life Gives You Lemons, but I still really like it. I really like the beat more than anything.
  • andre_1024
    andre_1024 Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    coppin first day..
  • ninjasenses
    edited March 2011
    definatley feelin shes enough more than just for show. Cant wait to give this a listen!!
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2011
    This song is immense....

I wasn't going to listen to it, but I did in the end and it's definitely a nice track, prefer it to Just For Show.
    Its not quite on the level of tracks on When Life Gives You Lemons, but I still really like it. I really like the beat more than anything.

Yeah, it's just a shame though as WLGYL was on another level in terms of creativity and sound, I'm hoping that this has sprinkles of WLGYL at least...
    andre_1024 wrote: »
    coppin first day..

I'm with you there :tu Don't Atmosphere do around 100k with their albums (over time, not first week)? I think they have a strong following...
    definatley feelin shes enough more than just for show. Cant wait to give this a listen!!

Yeah, no doubt... I'm with you there...
  • ninjasenses
    edited March 2011
    Just saw this on fifthelement for anyone interested:
    FE EXCLUSIVE: Every pre order will come autographed by Atmosphere and will include a bonus CD, Story Book Vol. 1 mixed by Plain Ole Bill featuring previously UNRELEASED music, only available with the FE pre order.

CD Packaging: Custom printed heavyweight digi-pak that doubles as a picture frame with stand. Includes seven silver foil stamped panels backed with lyrics that can be changed in the frame.

Vinyl Packaging: Limited double colored LP in custom printed jacket that doubles as a picture frame with stand. Includes seven silver foil stamped panels backed with lyrics that can be changed in frame and free digital download card.
  • stupot0607
    edited March 2011
    I think im gonna get that... it cost $40 (£25)

Be worth it though.
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2011
    I think im gonna get that... it cost $40 (£25)

Be worth it though.

I've just pre-ordered, it's cheaper if you choose the cheapest option of delivery which is $10. So it works out as $25, which is much cheaper.

I'm not bothered about when I receive it as long as it arrives. I ordered WLGYL with it... as I don't have it in CD format.

Props Ninja, you ordered it?
  • stupot0607
    edited March 2011
    Hahah gutted ruffdraft.... litterally come upstairs to read you got yours $25 i musta read the wrong option or something... anyways.. the packaging for WLGYL is amazing, its a story book with a dvd in aswell as a cd. Defo worth actually buying...
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2011
    Hahah gutted ruffdraft.... litterally come upstairs to read you got yours $25 i musta read the wrong option or something... anyways.. the packaging for WLGYL is amazing, its a story book with a dvd in aswell as a cd. Defo worth actually buying...

At least you'll get yours faster, mine could be up to 7 weeks after dispatch... I think they're using a fish to carry it across the atlantic.

Sounds good!! Looking forward to getting it, I was broke at the time that it came out, so it's always been on my to buy list. Glad I got round to it and got the Deluxe version. There's a nice version of mmm Food on there as well, was tempted. Bit worried about there being no security on their website though, did you notice?
  • skeep
    skeep Members Posts: 298
    edited March 2011
    Love the new video. Brilliant, original and fresh as hell. Atmosphere continues to get better and better and never disappoints me.
  • stupot0607
    edited March 2011
    At least you'll get yours faster, mine could be up to 7 weeks after dispatch... I think they're using a fish to carry it across the atlantic.

Sounds good!! Looking forward to getting it, I was broke at the time that it came out, so it's always been on my to buy list. Glad I got round to it and got the Deluxe version. There's a nice version of mmm Food on there as well, was tempted. Bit worried about there being no security on their website though, did you notice?

Lmao i doubt they will use a fish, but to be honest if they cud see that happening, i wud pay extra for it.

NAhhh i got mine through paypal and it wasnt my paypal so im not too sure on what the security procedure is on that anyways..... personally i always abit more paranoid about american websites and dollars involved, they always ? you on the post. i just bought a ghostface jumper and it cost like $50 delivery... ? ridiculous...

Lol 7 weeks might torture you aswell, like when kanye's came out it took me a while to get it, and i was tryin to ignore the IC haha
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2011
    Lmao i doubt they will use a fish, but to be honest if they cud see that happening, i wud pay extra for it.

NAhhh i got mine through paypal and it wasnt my paypal so im not too sure on what the security procedure is on that anyways..... personally i always abit more paranoid about american websites and dollars involved, they always ? you on the post. i just bought a ghostface jumper and it cost like $50 delivery... ? ridiculous...

Lol 7 weeks might torture you aswell, like when kanye's came out it took me a while to get it, and i was tryin to ignore the IC haha

Yeah, no doubt. It's from 1-7 weeks. I don't mind either way...

I emailed the website, they've come back saying that it's secure but I'm unsure as to whether it is or not... I'll take their word for it though.

That is ridiculous, postage is a joke at times... I'd buy a lot more from them, I was going to get a Dilla shirt that supported his mom but I never because the postage was so high.

lol I'll just download it.. don't need to wait for the physical copy, as long as I've copped I see no harm in downloading it before it arrives due to super slow mo delivery. Plus I can't wait to hear it!