Atmosphere: The Family Sign (April 12th, 2011) Track list, Promotional Video + Single

Options
2»

Comments

• Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    ? just leaked. downloading now.
  • ty the great
    ty the great Members Posts: 162
    edited April 2011
    Options
    First thoughts from a gigantic Atmosphere fan.

A very different album, not just for Atmosphere, but in general. The proper progression from When Life Gives You Lemons, a very laid back but rock oriented album. Well, Atmosphere isn't just Slug and Ant anymore, they are a full fledged band now, and the sound shows. Almost an outlaw-country cadence to it. Very good guitar and piano (not keyboard, piano!) work throughout.

The lyrics are Slug storytelling, but the Album is called The Family Sign for a reason, a lot of songs about friends and family, those lost, still around, and those that never got a chance to exist. Slug flow is laid back through most, but not as slow as the talky flow on To All My Friends, but still very laid back. Slug is storytelling in top form, I can now say that Slug is the best storyteller in Hip Hop history without any hyperbole.

Don't have a rating settled on yet, but it will be high, lol.
  • skeep
    skeep Members Posts: 298
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Listened to the leak and loved it. Can't wait to buy it tomorrow. And I agree- Slug is the best story teller in HipHop. Mad versatile and creative. Light years ahead of anyone else.
  • Wiirdo
    Wiirdo Members Posts: 80
    edited April 2011
    Options
    It's good but they're so far removed from HeadShots days it's ridiculous
  • skeep
    skeep Members Posts: 298
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Wiirdo

No offense but why would they keep doing the same ? ? They are human beings and have grown over the years. If you haven't grown as well there may be a problem. I would hate to hear the same styles and sounds over and over. The reason Atmosphere is great is because they have evolved and still make great records. How many artists can do that?
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    First thoughts from a gigantic Atmosphere fan.

A very different album, not just for Atmosphere, but in general. The proper progression from When Life Gives You Lemons, a very laid back but rock oriented album. Well, Atmosphere isn't just Slug and Ant anymore, they are a full fledged band now, and the sound shows. Almost an outlaw-country cadence to it. Very good guitar and piano (not keyboard, piano!) work throughout.

The lyrics are Slug storytelling, but the Album is called The Family Sign for a reason, a lot of songs about friends and family, those lost, still around, and those that never got a chance to exist. Slug flow is laid back through most, but not as slow as the talky flow on To All My Friends, but still very laid back. Slug is storytelling in top form, I can now say that Slug is the best storyteller in Hip Hop history without any hyperbole.

Don't have a rating settled on yet, but it will be high, lol.

Props on the synopsis, I pre-ordered so hoping to wait to listen to the CD when it arrives... but it could be a long while yet...

I agree about Slug though, his storytelling is timeless and he can capture a moment like the classic artists of days gone by... (non-hip hop), particularly evident for me on Sunshine and WLGYL, but I'm sure there are plenty more examples. Sunshine in particular though because everyone who drinks can relate to that track and it's really uplifting, refreshing and 'summery'... similar to tracks found on Common's Resurrection.

skeep wrote: »
    Wiirdo

No offense but why would they keep doing the same ? ? They are human beings and have grown over the years. If you haven't grown as well there may be a problem. I would hate to hear the same styles and sounds over and over. The reason Atmosphere is great is because they have evolved and still make great records. How many artists can do that?

Agreed, but everyone has that album that you want to go to... for instance, CYNE's Evolution Fight... I wish they didn't evolve somewhat after that album, as they were in the zone and questioning things that didn't need answering...

In Atmosphere's case though, I would tend to agree... their production is always timeless but forever changing. I had my hazard lights on for this release though, but the synopsis above gives me hope! Sure it won't disappoint!

Props to Wiirdo for posting as well, good to see another poster :tu
  • RuffDraft
    edited April 2011
    Options
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Cool unboxing video/advertisement:

Atmopshere ALWAYS give you your moneys worth when buyin a cd.
  • RuffDraft
    edited April 2011
    Options
    stupot0607 wrote: »
    Atmopshere ALWAYS give you your moneys worth when buyin a cd.

Also following the concept really well too... I like how they have made it a photo frame, very cool..
  • Wiirdo
    Wiirdo Members Posts: 80
    edited April 2011
    Options
    skeep wrote: »
    Wiirdo

I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all, I just preferred their earlier style really, like ? Loves Ugly and ? like that. I like that they change their style up but I just happen to like certain styles more than others haha.

Also Slug's lyrics on this are really good. Better than I've probably ever heard him.
  • ty the great
    edited April 2011
    Options
    The production won't be for every one, but SLug is near the top of his game on this one. Became and Something So can be added to the list of career highlights for the group.
  • RuffDraft
    edited April 2011
    Options
    The production won't be for every one, but SLug is near the top of his game on this one. Became and Something So can be added to the list of career highlights for the group.

How many career highlights have they had though? More arguably than any other group in hip hop history? It's beginning to look like that...
  • jonlakadeadmic
    jonlakadeadmic Members Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    i'll give a listen
  • ninjasenses
    ninjasenses Members Posts: 157
    edited April 2011
    Options
    been giving this a listen and although its not the classic slug ant combo...im digging the style. Slug definately has not faded on his story telling abilities and i like the sort of mature content. To me no one in hiphop has done this until this album. So i definately have them give them props on that front...Like i said, i like this album and at the same time want a slug + ant album. Overall id give it 3.5/5.

Oh on another note the packaging is true testimony to their fans. I also got a best of atmosphere cd along with the new one which slug also signed. Didnt pay a dime more than any normal cd release. :tu
  • andre_1024
    andre_1024 Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    it's a good album..only song i really don't care for is Bad Bad Daddy or Millennium Dodo ..not as good as Lemons imo but still a solid album..Last to Say might be the best song of 2011..i think they could have combined this and To All My Friends, dropped a few songs and made this into a double disc album..
  • ty the great
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I wouldn't say it could be combined with To All My Friends, altho tracks like FreeFallin and To All My Friends fit the sound, their are tracks like Americareful and Shotgun, which I think are dope, that don't really fit the sound of the album. It is my guess that To All My Friends was probably just a collection of tracks recorded during the same studio sessions that they figured couldn't fit on to Family SIgn anyways.

I'm not the biggest fan of Bad Bad Daddy, mainly because of the hook otherwise it is alrite, but Millennium Dodo is definitely dope to me.
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
  • andre_1024
    andre_1024 Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    andre_1024 wrote: »
    such a great song & video!

You think easily the best on their album?

Such flawless story-telling and lyricism… Slug is so under-rated beyond the underground fan base.

It's just a shame about the album because I don't feel the live-instrumentation as much as I would Ant just producing the entire thing. This song is an exception though, perfect really.
  • ty the great
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I really enjoy the live instrumentation. I listen to all types of music so that style doesn't bother me. Its actually refreshing to me, you rarely (if ever) get to hear Hip Hop backdrops like that. The only gripe I really have with the album is the new "talky" flow that Slug has gotten comfortable with. It borderlines on spoken word at times. It wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't know that Slug has live as hell flows available at his disposal (like on Panic Attack). Otherwise, another great album from one of my favorite rap groups.
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I really enjoy the live instrumentation. I listen to all types of music so that style doesn't bother me. Its actually refreshing to me, you rarely (if ever) get to hear Hip Hop backdrops like that. The only gripe I really have with the album is the new "talky" flow that Slug has gotten comfortable with. It borderlines on spoken word at times. It wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't know that Slug has live as hell flows available at his disposal (like on Panic Attack). Otherwise, another great album from one of my favorite rap groups.

Yeah, definitely know what you mean with regards to live instrumentation… just feel like musically it's sub-par against their last effort (WLGYL).

I found the album nice, but it wasn't an album I wanted to play all day every day… it's just a shame it'll be so long until their next release, where I do (kinda) hope that they go back to Ant on the boards… can't see it now though.