'I didn't have a Dad and my Mom did ? ...' Lines that made you stop and think...

RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2011 in The Essence

That line is by Pigeon John from 'Do The Pigeon', what are some other lines that have you pressing re-wind for either their shock purposes, insight or otherwise?

Drop one single line from an independent artist and describe why you have chosen it.

"I didn't have a Dad and my Mom did ? ..." I chose this line because it shows completely the background of a single artist, even though he's so often making fun with his songs, he just dropped insight to his life that is quite surprising from such a positive artist... that's why I chose that line!

Comments

• satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    RuffDraft wrote: »

That line is by Pigeon John from 'Do The Pigeon', what are some other lines that have you pressing re-wind for either their shock purposes, insight or otherwise?

Drop one single line from an independent artist and describe why you have chosen it.

"I didn't have a Dad and my Mom did ? ..." I chose this line because it shows completely the background of a single artist, even though he's so often making fun with his songs, he just dropped insight to his life that is quite surprising from such a positive artist... that's why I chose that line!

damn that aobum was great been tryin to find that sht at my parents house lol!!..as for lines ill drop one later trying to remember one
  • ninjasenses
    ninjasenses Members Posts: 157
    edited March 2011
    ? the first two ? like dogs and I jacked off on the third

WHOA...holy ? ? . Cage goes off on this track and spits ? no one else does.
    I'm Against the Machine like Rage; ? say, 'I hate you Cage!'
    After circle jerks, I wash my hands off and do dirt
    Sick with a smirk, plus I be disturbed
    I'm obvious oblivion but that's my science
    ? your head up like corn rows put in by blind giants
    Haven't been with it, since the last corpse kidded
    Wore a blood stained smile, and told the cop, 'He did it!'
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    "Lifes not a ? ,life is a beautiful woman, you only call her a ? cuz she wouldnt let you get that ? .."...Aesop Rock-"Daylight". this has to be one of my fav lines. its mos def some real talk ? .
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2011
    satyrone wrote: »
    damn that aobum was great been tryin to find that sht at my parents house lol!!..as for lines ill drop one later trying to remember one

haha it was a great album!!! His best, IMO.

Lovely imagery right there haha nice track :tu
    satyrone wrote: »
    "Lifes not a ? ,life is a beautiful woman, you only call her a ? cuz she wouldnt let you get that ? .."...Aesop Rock-"Daylight". this has to be one of my fav lines. its mos def some real talk ? .

hahaha nice line :tu and that track is epic!!! Production is amazing.

Another one:

"I'm dark like the side of the moon you don't see"

I thought that line was crisp and really made me ponder space for a second... maybe didn't let me in to Mos Def's psyche or life... but it made me stop and think...
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011

Have to cosign that!!
  • renagade410.
    renagade410. Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    "16,they released me/now im a highschool felon ? you could teach me?" saigon(i guess you could say he indy)

this line is pretty much self explanitory but when i heard the song this line in particular basically was my mindstate when i was 15/16 and caught up in the wrong crowd.
  • HipHop90
    HipHop90 Members Posts: 31
    edited March 2011
    'In the city where the misery’s abundant, where the pity find sympathy amongst em, and the well off, feel no empathy, where the foul move and get no penalty'
    Love that line really makes you think about the massive difference between people in one city through classes etc. and the contrast in their lives.

'Nice whip nice chain, a closet of skulls'
    Thought this was a pretty clever line which I had a think about after hearing, basically he's saying how people can go around flashing their money but the way they earned it could be wrong and had to get their hands ? .
  • MastaAceTheGOAT
    MastaAceTheGOAT Members Posts: 724
    edited March 2011
    Fashawn - The Ecology

'Wish I didn't need herb, to calm my nerve/ wish peace was more than just a 5 letter word'

that ? right there...damn
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2011
    HipHop90 wrote: »
    'In the city where the misery’s abundant, where the pity find sympathy amongst em, and the well off, feel no empathy, where the foul move and get no penalty'
    Love that line really makes you think about the massive difference between people in one city through classes etc. and the contrast in their lives.

This track is really nice, any background on the artist? Create a thread if you want, be good to get put on to him :tu
    Fashawn - The Ecology

'Wish I didn't need herb, to calm my nerve/ wish peace was more than just a 5 letter word'

that ? right there...damn

Whole album is quotable worthy at times...

----

This kinda follows on from peace being more than just a five letter word; I have cheated a lil with my next one, the first line is my quotable... but I find the whole verse gives me the shivers because it's so well crafted behind such an uplifting piece of music, with his delivery increasing in pace, it's genius:

it is better to light a candle than to curse the dark

in the eyes of the youth
    there are question marks

like freedom
    freedom for the mind and soul,

we don't see them
    see them for their worth at all,

that's why we lead em

lead em to these wars
    and what is it we feed em

feed em our impurities
    and who it is we treat em

treat em like the enemy
    humanity will need em

need em like the blood we spill
    and we're freedom

freedom for the hearts we fill
    we mislead em

they hunger for the love we give
    but we cheat em

the guys beat him and all he wants
    is his freedom,

so they defeat him,
    whatever spirit he's got

"beat him"

and they teach him
    the rest of the world don't need him

and he believes
    in the disease that he's heathen

Put up your fists if all you want is freedom
    Put up your fists if all you want is -

----

One of my favourite K'Naan verses. But the line 'it's better to light a candle than to curse the dark' is my favourite line, I'm sure it's a famous saying, but it's an uplifting one that I hadn't heard previously.
  • HipHop90
    HipHop90 Members Posts: 31
    edited March 2011
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    This track is really nice, any background on the artist? Create a thread if you want, be good to get put on to him :tu

To be honest with you I don't know a great deal, only got the one mixtape by him pretty hard to find other material, I'll put something up about that mixtape though cos it is brilliant.
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011

"hold me suspended in a dream, mearly inches from the screen
    deleted passions sacrificed to one electron monster
    crucify my little future to the monitor
    "

"Some cling to A cross because they're tired and lost"

"But here I am, thinking about death again
    Humbles out the stress, helps the breath get in
    I need to check my friends as well as my next of kin
    "

"And when I let them carry me to a cemetary
    I wanna be buried with a pocket full of clarity
    "
  • skeep
    skeep Members Posts: 298
    edited April 2011
    "confused by a world of death and divorce/so every breath I kept focused hoping to hone the Force"

Illus- Super Secret Identity from the Feel Good Music album. The whole song really resonates with me.
  • RuffDraft
    edited April 2011
    skeep wrote: »
    "confused by a world of death and divorce/so every breath I kept focused hoping to hone the Force"

Illus- Super Secret Identity from the Feel Good Music album. The whole song really resonates with me.

Nice line, this thread has some great lyrics, keep 'em coming...
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    "if the solution has never been to look in yourself, how is it that you'd expect to find it anywhere else?"

Who said this line?
  • MastaAceTheGOAT
    edited April 2011
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    "if the solution has never been to look in yourself, how is it that you'd expect to find it anywhere else?"

That's really dope. Who is it by?
  • MastaAceTheGOAT
    edited April 2011
    I know He isn't really underground but two biggie lines come to mind.

My mothers got cancer in the breast, so don't ask me why I'm ? stressed, things done change

And

Crime after crime, drugs to extortion I bet my muma wish she got a ? abortion, she don't even love me like she used to when we was younger
  • renagade410.
    renagade410. Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    That's really dope. Who is it by?

im pretty sure its immortal technique...not sure what song i think its leaving the past off revolutionary vol 2
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    "In ? you trust, good luck/
    ? is just another version of Satan/
    Same organization."

(Canibus-Brainwash Reversal")

^^^^At the 3:05 mark

I understand what he was saying, but don't necessarily agree.
  • RuffDraft
    edited April 2011
    cobbland wrote: »

^^^^At the 3:05 mark

I understand what he was saying, but don't necessarily agree.

Nice, I think Canibus has some undeniable artistry when it comes to penning rhymes, but I've never been able to get past his voice as it's more for battles and freestyles than for creating a great track.

Here's another one:

K'Naan - What's ? ?

'Kids trust no one cause fire burnt them,
    Refugees die in boats, headed for peace,
    Is anyone scared of death here? Not in the least'

And

'We begin our day by the way of the gun,
    Rocket propelled grenades blow you away if you front,
    We got no police ambulances or fire fighters,
    We start riots by burning car tires,
    They looting, and everybody starting shooting...'

The whole track even, so descriptive and really makes supposed 'gangsta rap' seem more like a joke...