Who has had more influence on Contemporary music? Michael J. or Mariah?

Options
Punisher__
Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
edited March 2010 in R&B & Alternatives
Serious answers permitted only.

Discuss.

Comments

• ccluvsau
    ccluvsau Members Posts: 1,852 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Is this a trick question?
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
  • Punisher__
    edited February 2010
    Options
    ccluvsau wrote: »
    Is this a trick question?

Of course not.

I am not a shock poster.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I mean Marvin Gaye
  • THEsweetheart92
    THEsweetheart92 Members Posts: 1,089 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Master P the GOAT.
    10 characters
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    really though?
  • Punisher__
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I mean, Mariah is the reason that pop and hip hop can virtually overlap nowadays, which is pretty much the foundation for whatever gets played on top 40 radio.

Do we agree?
  • kuskklassic
    kuskklassic Members Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    I mean, Mariah is the reason that pop and hip hop can virtually overlap nowadays, which is pretty much the foundation for whatever gets played on top 40 radio.

Do we agree?

u kinda have a point! Pop and Hip Hop were total opposites and people never thought that they could merge. Mariah Carey took a chance by put Ol ? Bastard on one of her mos famous single, Fantasy! This provided the formula for alot of things on the radio. Before that u never heard an Pop singers on a track with a rapper! Michael Jackson could be argued because of his work on Dangerous but that album was more New Jack Swing/R&B based than Pop.
  • thefabmd2dc
    thefabmd2dc Members Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Is Mariah really a pop singer though??? Exclusively
    You cant just put her in that category because of her success shes touched a lot of genres and pop just happened to be one of them but you cant say shes all pop and ODB brought hip-hop to her sound.
  • arbitration
    arbitration Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    This thread was done last year. The answer is resoundingly Michael Jackson. Nothing has changed. Mariah Carey is a big fish, but she's swimming in the pond that Michael Jackson created.

/Close thread.
  • airafroman
    airafroman Banned Users Posts: 87
    edited February 2010
    Options
    pop is not a ? genre....
  • Punisher__
    edited February 2010
    Options
    This thread was done last year. The answer is resoundingly Michael Jackson. Nothing has changed. Mariah Carey is a big fish, but she's swimming in the pond that Michael Jackson created.

/Close thread.

I disagree.
  • Still Cool Beans
    Still Cool Beans Members Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options

Do we agree?

I could definitely see this argument in terms of the actual sound of top 40. However in terms of being a "pop"-ular artist, Mike is the blueprint by which all these artists follow. Industry wise I'd say Mike and it's not even close.
  • Ibex
    Ibex Members Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    This can't be a real thread
  • Punisher__
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I could definitely see this argument in terms of the actual sound of top 40. However in terms of being a "pop"-ular artist, Mike is the blueprint by which all these artists follow. Industry wise I'd say Mike and it's not even close.

All of which artists? In terms of combining hip hop with pop sensibilities, I'd say a lot of these "pop"-ular artists have followed Mariah, moreso than Mike.
  • quietaskept
    quietaskept Members Posts: 333 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Ibex wrote: »
    This can't be a real thread

Well...it started in the G&S and got moved. That should explain things.
  • Still Cool Beans
    edited February 2010
    Options
    All of which artists? In terms of combining hip hop with pop sensibilities, I'd say a lot of these "pop"-ular artists have followed Mariah, moreso than Mike.

I'm speaking in terms of the multi-media conglomerate that Mike was. He is the blueprint. ? he gave birth to the music video.
  • Punisher__
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I'm speaking in terms of the multi-media conglomerate that Mike was. He is the blueprint. ? he gave birth to the music video.

I see what you're saying. And maybe I'm arguing something completely different.

To me, when I look at the overall landscape of popular music today, it's that pop/hip hop fusion that is so prevalent and continues to dominate all formats. And that has Mariah's name all over it.
  • Still Cool Beans
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I see what you're saying. And maybe I'm arguing something completely different.

To me, when I look at the overall landscape of popular music today, it's that pop/hip hop fusion that is so prevalent and continues to dominate all formats. And that has Mariah's name all over it.

Yeah we're kind of arguing two seperate points. I understand the point you're trying to make however.
  • Yung_Souf_Money
    Yung_Souf_Money Members Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    micheal jackson duh
  • Punisher__
    edited February 2010
    Options
    micheal jackson duh

I disagree.
  • mrjun18
    mrjun18 Members Posts: 207
    edited March 2010
    Options
    "I mean, Mariah is the reason that pop and hip hop can virtually overlap nowadays, which is pretty much the foundation for whatever gets played on top 40 radio."

Jody Watley thinks otherwise.....
  • inia
    inia Members Posts: 163 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options

/Close thread.
    Strong co-sign. The threadstarter must be a huge MC fan.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    TS is a Mariah stan.
  • Punisher__
    edited March 2010
    Options
    mrjun18 wrote: »
    "I mean, Mariah is the reason that pop and hip hop can virtually overlap nowadays, which is pretty much the foundation for whatever gets played on top 40 radio."

Jody Watley thinks otherwise.....

Care to elaborate?