ni99as still majoring in mass comm.?

Lorenzo de Medici
Lorenzo de Medici Members Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in Growing Pains
hahaha. I just think that's the most backward antiquated program on college campuses.

? is mad ? ' pointless.

? 's up there with a history degree.

Comments

• glowy
    glowy Members Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, there are better things to do.

Unless they go to a college that have specific minors for particular programs.

Meteorology/Health services/ some other ? .

^better routes to go, but I guess it works.

Universities are starting to revamp their programs, they will probably be added some sort of math classes in the future.

I know they supposedly have web design courses.
  • CollegeBoi12
    CollegeBoi12 Members Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Im majoring in it and I say its pointless to a degree
    It doesn't prepare you for one specific area but it gives you the skills needed in a variety of areas
    I'm majoring in it and Im interning in Virginia this summer for a marketing agency so Im good with it
  • Sovo_Nah
    Sovo_Nah Members Posts: 2,216 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    say what you want, but you learn how to read and manipulate people in those classes lol

for that, i say its worth it lol
  • kingian
    kingian Members Posts: 382 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Try finding a job with a Bachelor's of Music degree. What was I thinking? At least I didn't continue on to the graduate level(I'm studying accounting now).
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    I know some one that graduate 2 years ago with a BA in mass comm. and they just landed a job at a college as a recruiter
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    kingian wrote: »
    Try finding a job with a Bachelor's of Music degree. What was I thinking? At least I didn't continue on to the graduate level(I'm studying accounting now).

You can do a lot with a music degree. Have you tried to become a music critic for a magazine or a website? you would be the best canidate because you have a full educated understanding of music. you can become a music teacher for a private school...and etc
    Sovo_Nah wrote: »
    say what you want, but you learn how to read and manipulate people in those classes lol

smh.. word.. thats why people who had majored in Mass comm are GREAT at manipulating you (the consumer) to buy whatever they program you to buy (i.e. jordans, food, clothes,snuggie, cars and etc).

Lo-whatever you call yourself... what's the next degree youre going to attack? Majoring in English, Art History, Dance, Fashion & Merchandising and etc?
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Im majoring in it and I say its pointless to a degree
    It doesn't prepare you for one specific area but it gives you the skills needed in a variety of areas
    I'm majoring in it and Im interning in Virginia this summer for a marketing agency so Im good with it

I have a bachelor's in Mass Communications and I live in VA. All I can say to you is you're about to be disappointed...
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    edited March 2011
    Sovo_Nah wrote: »

you learn more of that in communication studies.

Communication studies has focuses in event planning, PR, human resources.

Back to the drawing board ? . mass comm. pointless as ? .
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    edited March 2011
    You can do a lot with a music degree. Have you tried to become a music critic for a magazine or a website? you would be the best canidate because you have a full educated understanding of music. you can become a music teacher for a private school...and etc

smh.. word.. thats why people who had majored in Mass comm are GREAT at manipulating you (the consumer) to buy whatever they program you to buy (i.e. jordans, food, clothes,snuggie, cars and etc).

Lo-whatever you call yourself... what's the next degree youre going to attack? Majoring in English, Art History, Dance, Fashion & Merchandising and etc?

LMAO at thinking people in marketing majored in mass. comm. They probably majored in business marketing.

? outta here. I took two mass comm. classes, one was an intro that was required, and the other I took for ? and giggles. ? is ? ' pointless. I hate to burst your bubble. It's your major, so you're defending it. If it's any consolation, I double majored in political science and communication studies. I spent 4 years learning how to talk to people about politics. I could've saved my money, hung out in a barbershop and read some ? ' toqueville and accomplished the same thing.
  • Louie V. Slugger
    Louie V. Slugger Members Posts: 392
    edited March 2011
    Thats like when white people say they major in liberal arts
  • MsTADOWW
    MsTADOWW Members Posts: 21
    edited June 2011
    I say not exactly - if you know how to sell yourself and come in with a game plan that a BA in mass comm can work out pretty well.
  • Alivethroughmusic
    Alivethroughmusic Members Posts: 94
    edited July 2011
    Thats like when white people say they major in liberal arts

Haha! Good one..
  • daboyag1
    daboyag1 Members, Writer Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    im majoring in it
  • Manik Sona
    Manik Sona Members Posts: 350
    edited July 2011
    I'm a business major
  • Madbeats
    Madbeats Members Posts: 544
    edited August 2011
    I am an English major. Seems like a good broad major.
  • Dr Bang
    Dr Bang Members Posts: 185
    edited August 2011
    I think people who go to college and try to Major in these Majors expect for a job to given to them right then. Nothing is given to you, you go to work hard, believe, and not let others tarnish your dreams. Also a lot of them get into it for the wrong reasons, maybe they really wasn't into or putting their all in it.

If you are going to go into any major, you have to go into it trying to become the best, you need to study the game, ask for help and guidance from those teachers you got, look at all the resources you got, research, intern. You just need to be a hustler. Aint nobody gonna come give you a job cuz you got a degree or you have a major in w/e. You have to prove to the employer that you are worth hiring and that you will be bringing something to the table. Don't give up, many of these people that say they couldn't get a job w/ their degree are most likely quitters.

All i'm gonna say is w/e you are majoring in. Work Hard, Make sure that you are doing your best, believe in your self, and don't sell your self short/ don't give up, be persistent/consistent, don't let others influence your path. Learn from your self and what have you done so that you can get better.
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    journalism and broadcasting still go for mass communications degrees. Reuters, police research, fbi, cnn,fox, msnbc, associated press, editors, publishing companies, almost anything with writing and speaking still applies to mass communications and it will still get hiring managers attention. Graduating from college is more important. But I get your point. A business degree will beat out a Mass comm
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭