Alliance/Invasion 2001 storyline appreciation

Options
ShencotheMC
ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in Off The Turn Buckle
I don't give a ? what anybody says. This was one of the BEST storylines these ? could have ever come up with. This was the first year in which me and my brother actually pooled money together to cop everyone of the pay-per views WWF was dropping that year after WCW came through and tried to knock down the buildings. It was like this was the last time these dudes knew what the ? they were doing before it all went to ? . I mean tell me these promos didn't get you pumped than a mug for these matches

Stone Cold vs Angle Promo
The Rock vs. Booker T Promo
Invasion 2001 Promo
Survivor Series 2001 Promo

Comments

• ShencotheMC
    edited March 2011
    Options
    One man wrecking they whole ? squad. Austin was a beast lol
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    i disagree,this was arguably the biggest missed opportunity in wrestling history i mean come on,this should have been ? epic and should have shaped the industry for years,but the whole story line barely lasted about 8 months before the fans and viewers got tired of it.

mistakes?

1.Having no legitimate 'big names' right from the start,they needed a Goldberg,Scott Steiner,bischoff,sting or the nWo (from the beginning,not just to sell tickets for WM the year after when they ran out of ideas and could sign them without buying their contracts.)Who did we end up getting?Booker T and Buff ? Bagwell,that one match they had on Raw almost killed the entire invasion angle it was that bad,aside from that people who could and should have made an impact were horribly used (DDP im looking at you,? was that stalker story about? which went absolutely nowhere) the wwe fans never gave a sht about the invasion angle because in terms of story the WCW never seemed like a legitimate threat,thats why they turned Austin (reluctantly) heel to try and give them some momentum.When they added ECW to the mix it helped but aside from fanboys the common crowd wouldnt have known the major players aside from people like RVD.

2.the whole storyline was based around the McMahons i mean seriously?could you all put aside your ? egos for a minute and realise the fact that if you did this properly you could change the entire industry forever?i guess not,and that will forever be one of the curses the wwe will have to live with in that era,the fact that the mcmahons wanted everything to revolve around them,and it wasnt for the better of the company.

3.Invasion was a decent PPV and it got big numbers for a show that wasnt one of the big 4,but it should have been THE ppv's of all ppv's i mean look at the lineup

* (ECW) Mike Awesome & Lance Storm VS (WWF) Edge & Christian
    * (WCW)Referee Nick Patrick VS (WWF) Referee Earl Hebner
    * WWF Tag Champions VS WCW Tag Champions: (WWF) APA VS (WCW) Chuck Palumbo & Sean O’Haire
    * WCW Cruiserweight Title VS WWF Light Heavyweight Title: (WWF)X-Pac VS (WCW) Billy Kidman
    * (WWF)William Regal VS (ECW) Raven
    * (WWF)Big Show, Billy Gunn & Albert VS (WCW) Kanyon, Hugh Morris & Shawn Stasiak
    * (WWF)Tajri VS (ECW) Tazz
    * WWF ? Title Match: (WWF)Jeff Hardy VS (ECW) Rob Van Dam
    * Tag Team Bra & Panties Match: (WWF) Lita & Trish Stratus VS (WCW) Torrie Wilson & Stacy Keibler
    * The Inaugural Brawl: (WWF) Kane, Undertaker, Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho & Stone Cold Steve Austin VS (WCW/ECW) Booker T, Diamond Dallas Page, The Dudley Boyz & Rhyno.

Now look at that card and try to imagine during the 90's when the monday night war was really in effect,how many awesome dream matches could you have made between the two companies as a wrestling fan that you just wished one day you could have seen?thats the opportunity they missed with this card,we should have had triple h vs goldberg,rock vs hogan (it was epic when it happened and a classic because of the emotion,not because of the wrestling) sting vs the undertaker,no one is saying these matches would have been good,but on paper the marquee and nostalgia value would have made any fan truly excited.I cant even remember any of the matches from invasion aside from the RVD vs Jeff hardy one which was probably the best on the card.Shiiiiit i was making classic cards on promotion wars DAILY hoping they would come true

i stopped watching wwe shortly after all this because i realised it was going to ? ,ive only tuned in a few times since (the return of bret hart,things like that) and theres no guarantee that this whole angle would have gone on as long as this but as a wrestling fan back in the day if you asked me was i happy with the invasion angle then i would say no
  • ShencotheMC
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Did you really just drop a thesis statement on the Invasion storyline? Really my dude?
  • lazypakman
    edited March 2011
    Options
    shenco wrote: »
    Did you really just drop a thesis statement on the Invasion storyline? Really my dude?

lol i used to be heavy into wrestling back in the day man,that invasion angle really ? me off at the time,now i dont care so much for it cos i know i was going to grow out of wrestling eventually (like everyone does...right...RIGHT??) but i thought i might as well give my total opinion on it.the wwe at the time did a really half assed job with it all
  • genocide_cutter
    genocide_cutter Members Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    It was alright when it first started and then they made most of the group into idiots.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited March 2011
    Options
    it was ok except for these factors:

No Goldberg
    No Big Poppa Pump
    No nWo
    RVD made to be looked like a complete jobber to Angle even tho RVD was over as ? .. arguably the most over person during the initial part of this whole storyline.
    WCW/ECW guys made too look like complete jobbers.
    Benoit was injured... Eddie wasn't anywhere in this either.. I forgot if Saturn or Dean malenko had any roles in this either could have made it feel more real with those guys involved.
    Out of all people to join the Alliance Austin? No Austin was a GREAT and funny heel no doubt but that ? would make as much sense as ? Foley joining the alliance...
    HHH was injured 2? Damn.
    DDP should have been treated like a main-eventer
    They made the WCW tag team of O Haire and Palumbo look like COMPLETE jobbers vs taker and Kane.. ? was worse than Jon Jones vs Shogun...

Oh ya Tazz was downgraded from a complete monster to a complete ? in one sweep (he was the first dude to beat Kurt Angle not too long ago at that point...).. and all because he was only 5'7'? Really?

Grant that half the ? such as injuries suspensions (Eddie Guerrero)the WWF had no control over, but I'm sure Vince could have done something with those Hogan, hall, nash, Berg, and Steiner contracts to get them in the invasion earlier) Vince took a ? on all of us and like good WWF fans we ate that ? with no shame... shame on me shame on you.

AND YOU WWE ? wonder why Sting PUTS UP WITH the ? TNA over the ? WWE...
    /end rant.
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    i co-sign this thread, that was an exciting time in wrestling
  • ShencotheMC
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Why are y'all talking about "if such and such" Shut that ? up and enjoy the storyline for what it was. Them ? was injured or didn't participate in the action. Get over it
  • lazypakman
    edited March 2011
    Options
    KingGivBiz wrote: »
    it was ok except for these factors:

No Goldberg
    No Big Poppa Pump
    No nWo
    RVD made to be looked like a complete jobber to Angle even tho RVD was over as ? .. arguably the most over person during the initial part of this whole storyline.
    WCW/ECW guys made too look like complete jobbers.
    Benoit was injured... Eddie wasn't anywhere in this either.. I forgot if Saturn or Dean malenko had any roles in this either could have made it feel more real with those guys involved.
    Out of all people to join the Alliance Austin? No Austin was a GREAT and funny heel no doubt but that ? would make as much sense as ? Foley joining the alliance...
    HHH was injured 2? Damn.
    DDP should have been treated like a main-eventer
    They made the WCW tag team of O Haire and Palumbo look like COMPLETE jobbers vs taker and Kane.. ? was worse than Jon Jones vs Shogun...

Oh ya Tazz was downgraded from a complete monster to a complete ? in one sweep (he was the first dude to beat Kurt Angle not too long ago at that point...).. and all because he was only 5'7'? Really?

Grant that half the ? such as injuries suspensions (Eddie Guerrero)the WWF had no control over, but I'm sure Vince could have done something with those Hogan, hall, nash, Berg, and Steiner contracts to get them in the invasion earlier) Vince took a ? on all of us and like good WWF fans we ate that ? with no shame... shame on me shame on you.

AND YOU WWE ? wonder why Sting PUTS UP WITH the ? TNA over the ? WWE...
    /end rant.

this.....

in the end i think it came down to vince's ego that this whole storyline was kinda beneath him and his organisation,he only really bought wcw because it was going for cheap,plus he would have access to all the back catalogue,something that would have made back the investment in no time.its obvious he was never serious about integrating the other franchises into his system,thats why he had his fun with it and left it at that,shame for us wrestling fans.

like i said i dont watch wrestling now and i dont really give a ? ,but when i was a kid,i mean this was over ten years ago,it certainly didnt live up to the potential it could have had.

Austin and angle competing against each other for vince's affection were some of the funniest skits i saw though no lie,especially when austin bought that guitar out
  • genocide_cutter
    genocide_cutter Members Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    One man wrecking they whole ? squad. Austin was a beast lol

I remember that
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited March 2011
    Options
    wouldve been better if wcw had bigger names

goldberg vs austin
    nash vs kane
    stiener vs hhh

? wanted to see ? like that
  • Vandakken
    Vandakken Members Posts: 195
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I agree with t/s this was epic. Had ? calling of work and ? just to watch what was going to happen. Remember what vince said. He who laughs last, laughs loudest and he started hinting that there was a traitor in their midst. ? were betting money on who the traitor was. Smh a fight broke out cause someone didn't want to pay up. Remember when booker t was beefing with austin?
  • ToWn_DrUnK
    ToWn_DrUnK Members Posts: 1,018
    edited March 2011
    Options
    wouldve been better if wcw had bigger names

goldberg vs austin
    nash vs kane
    stiener vs hhh

? wanted to see ? like that

i remember that debate austin and goldberg homies would be beefing like ? u austin all day nah goldberg !!!
  • dalyricalbandit
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ToWn_? wrote: »
    i remember that debate austin and goldberg homies would be beefing like ? u austin all day nah goldberg !!!

lol this is real ?
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    austin vs goldberg

sting vs taker

that's all ii wanted....
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Vandakken wrote: »
    I agree with t/s this was epic. Had ? calling of work and ? just to watch what was going to happen. Remember what vince said. He who laughs last, laughs loudest and he started hinting that there was a traitor in their midst. ? were betting money on who the traitor was. Smh a fight broke out cause someone didn't want to pay up. Remember when booker t was beefing with austin?

? wasn't even funny how they did Booker in that grocery store. I mean, it was funny as all hell, but at the same time, Booker was taking tooooooo many L's for the team. Some of those ass whuppin's should have went to other people. Booker took them all.....

And I think during all this Alliance stuff, if you remember, Benoit and Guerrero stood out from the others, even Malenko and Saturn; so they were elevated to the main event. The WWE had Benoit beat up Malenko and Saturn saying they were dead weight to justify his move out of the Radicalz group. Eddie was in the European title hunt and Benoit was in the Intercontinental. Saturn was just a dude that was out there, and they had Malenko as a James Bond type character. If you remember, he was always coming on to Lita. They even changed his music to some Bond type ? , and had him wearing the smokers jacket. YT "Dean Malenko and Lita" and you'll get a bunch of stuff on their angle. The Hardyz were out to protect their girl to, they came hard on a couple occasions to defend her.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    stone cold>>>>>>>>
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Why are y'all talking about "if such and such" Shut that ? up and enjoy the storyline for what it was. Them ? was injured or didn't participate in the action. Get over it

Took a survey... I win by landslide.

truth be told though it was still an exciting time in pro-wrestling despite how much more epic it could have been.
  • dalyricalbandit
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Austin was that ? lol (taker also)
  • TheBoyRo
    TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    it was a fun and exciting storyline.....................BUT it shoulda been waaaaaaaaaaaaay better. egos got in the way, but i think the one thing that coulda made is better is that had HHH not torn his quad, then they wouldnt have rushed into the angle, its like creative panicked or something, HHH tore his quad and the next week they slowly start the angle??? FOH!!!!!!!!! everything fell apart when austin turn on team wwf the week after rejoining them, this ? could still be goig on rite now if it was done rite, but it certainly wasnt
  • ShencotheMC
    edited March 2011
    Options
    So we still talking in " if's" I see?
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    it was pretty good..

led to paul heyman runnin/bookin ? backstage for smackdown, and that led to the highest quality wrasslin ive seen in recent memory in wwe..

so i appreciate it just for dat..
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    austin, kurk angel, benoit etc was goin ham back then...

lol years later that booker t/stone cold beef is still funny...
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    biggest missed opportunity ever!!!

I unappreciated that ?