To summarize, Michael Rapaport wanted to work on a documentary
with the group and show what goes on on their tours, but recently
after agreeing with him, they decided not to work with him....but no one
knew why. Michael and Phife talked about it around January at a Sundance
screening where people witnessed Phife Dawg break down emotionally and
saying that he misses the group and that they should see how many fans
want to see this happen. I spoke to Jarobi about this around that time and
he said that he and the group will release an official statement...3/16/2011

http://www.mtv.com/videos/news/632317/a-tribe-called-quest-clear-up-documentary-controversy.jhtml#id=1659979

Comments

• RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    traestar wrote: »
    To summarize, Michael Rapaport wanted to work on a documentary
    with the group and show what goes on on their tours, but recently
    after agreeing with him, they decided not to work with him....but no one
    knew why. Michael and Phife talked about it around January at a Sundance
    screening where people witnessed Phife Dawg brake down emotionally and
    saying that he misses the group and that they should see how many fans
    want to see this happen. I spoke to Jarobi about this around that time and
    he said that he and the group will release an official statement...3/16/2011

http://www.mtv.com/videos/news/632317/a-tribe-called-quest-clear-up-documentary-controversy.jhtml#id=1659979

Strange one, what happened then, did they release a statement?

I'd like to see Tribe back like anyone would, easily challenge for the top hip hop group of all time...
  • ty the great
    ty the great Members Posts: 162
    edited March 2011
    Options
    From what I've heard the documentary shows Q-Tip in a bad light, that is why Q-Tip has been distant from the project. I've also heard general good reviews from Sundance when it premiered.
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2011
    Options
    From what I've heard the documentary shows Q-Tip in a bad light, that is why Q-Tip has been distant from the project. I've also heard general good reviews from Sundance when it premiered.

So this is still going to come out???
  • ty the great
    ty the great Members Posts: 162
    edited March 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    So this is still going to come out???

I guess so. It is finished, it has been screened at festivals. Unless Q-Tip has veto power to block its release, which I don't think he does.
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Strange one, what happened then, did they release a statement?

I'd like to see Tribe back like anyone would, easily challenge for the top hip hop group of all time...

NO that link in which is the video interview is their official statement to the fans
    breaking the silence of whats going on
  • traestar
    edited March 2011
    Options

Thats what it is about, he touches on that!
  • traestar
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Beats, Rhymes, and Life will begin showing this weekend in NY

http://www.sonyclassics.com/beatsrhymesandlife/
  • traestar
    edited July 2011
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    I just peeped the released dates...
    why not just release the ? everywhere at the same time?
    they just begging to be bootlegged...

HAHAHAHAHA!! actually one of my peoplez from overseas said he checked it dl'd
  • love yal
    love yal Members Posts: 1,327
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I'm mostly with the Tribe Called Quest never much heard tracks from Michael Rapaport. What their lastest album?
  • traestar
    edited July 2011
    Options
    love yal wrote: »
    I'm mostly with the Tribe Called Quest never much heard tracks from Michael Rapaport. What their lastest album?

No, its an autobiography documentary
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    I just peeped the released dates...
    why not just release the ? everywhere at the same time?
    they just begging to be bootlegged...

LOL Definitely, it's a shame it's not a worldwide release, I was hyped for this... anyone know when it's headed to the UK shores?
  • traestar
    edited July 2011
    Options
    LOL Definitely, it's a shame it's not a worldwide release, I was hyped for this... anyone know when it's headed to the UK shores?

nah, but the dl is available

The movie was pretty good BTW
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    nah, but the dl is available

The movie was pretty good BTW

Props, I'm definitely going to check it out!
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Bout to go watch it now.....

Thank Me Later (no Drake)
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Thanks for trying to help Valentinez, but we can't openly allow links to copyrighted films on the I.C. The same as albums. Enjoy the film.
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Watched this, great documentary, never realised Phife Dawg was so bad with it… 'when's tha last time you heard a funky diabetic?'

Tribe, one of my favourite groups of all time but I only know their music because when I listened to Can I Kick It? I was like 6 years old and it was on the radio. It's funny how I always say I got into hip hop when I was like 11/12. But then if I listen to records before I was that age, my favourite songs were like California Love when I was 10, Fugees Ready or Not, Coolio's Gangsters Paradise, all them tracks that made it big, Regulate with Warren G. It's funny to me. So really, my favourite tracks were always hip hop from the moment I can remember… even down to the girl groups at that time too.

I always like watching documentaries though about hip hop in particular, because it's a piece of the culture and you feel a part of it again, which I only really feel when I'm at shows now, where as when I was a teen all my friends were listening to it, but they were part timers… they never really got the culture and moved on to listening to other 'what's now' records and groups.
  • traestar
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Watched this, great documentary, never realised Phife Dawg was so bad with it… 'when's tha last time you heard a funky diabetic?'

Tribe, one of my favourite groups of all time but I only know their music because when I listened to Can I Kick It? I was like 6 years old and it was on the radio. It's funny how I always say I got into hip hop when I was like 11/12. But then if I listen to records before I was that age, my favourite songs were like California Love when I was 10, Fugees Ready or Not, Coolio's Gangsters Paradise, all them tracks that made it big, Regulate with Warren G. It's funny to me. So really, my favourite tracks were always hip hop from the moment I can remember… even down to the girl groups at that time too.

I always like watching documentaries though about hip hop in particular, because it's a piece of the culture and you feel a part of it again, which I only really feel when I'm at shows now, where as when I was a teen all my friends were listening to it, but they were part timers… they never really got the culture and moved on to listening to other 'what's now' records and groups.

We might be around the same age RuffDraft, cause thats exactly how it was for me!!

And in terms of the documentary, it's funny that the whole miscommunication situation actually didn't have anything to do with the creators of the documentary IMO. (Spoilers Beware) It was the rift between Phife and Q-Tip...this is the same problem that seems to happen to each group, especially Boy/Man Groups!! That was a shame how Q and Dawg were fighting..and Ali and Jarobi were in the middle(technically Ali because Robi is in ATL) But with that tho. all of my questions about the situation and about the group were answered. Excellent documentary!! And I still wish Phife the best of health!!
  • booty-gif-dot-com
    booty-gif-dot-com Members Posts: 1,357 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    its the 20th anniversary of there classic LOW END THEORY i would love to see someone get all deez dudes together and do a reunion tour!!

TRIBE AS THE HEADLINER!

also on the bill!

De La Soul
    Black Sheep
    The Jungle Brothers
    The Leaders of the New School!
    and appearance of Monie Love on the Buddy Remix!

$25 ticket price and IM THERE!
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    We might be around the same age RuffDraft, cause thats exactly how it was for me!!

And in terms of the documentary, it's funny that the whole miscommunication situation actually didn't have anything to do with the creators of the documentary IMO. (Spoilers Beware) It was the rift between Phife and Q-Tip...this is the same problem that seems to happen to each group, especially Boy/Man Groups!! That was a shame how Q and Dawg were fighting..and Ali and Jarobi were in the middle(technically Ali because Robi is in ATL) But with that tho. all of my questions about the situation and about the group were answered. Excellent documentary!! And I still wish Phife the best of health!!

Yeah, definitely. It's funny because it makes sense for that to be the case, but I remember discovering hip hop like it only just hit me… then when I started to look into the history, I was like, 'I've enjoyed all of these songs before' :lol:

SPOILERS:

Yeah, sounds like the rift wasn't that much after MM either, shame because you can see both of their reasons as valid, but IMO, Q-Tip comes across as hard headed; as someone who knows how good they are and is no longer on the humble *forgive me* tip. Where as Phife comes across as bitter before the break in the first place and should have seen that one coming…

Definitely a great documentary though and I agree on those sentiments, can't believe Phife's wife did that for him… *daps*
  • traestar
    edited July 2011
    Options
    its the 20th anniversary of there classic LOW END THEORY i would love to see someone get all deez dudes together and do a reunion tour!!

TRIBE AS THE HEADLINER!

also on the bill!

De La Soul
    Black Sheep
    The Jungle Brothers
    The Leaders of the New School!
    and appearance of Monie Love on the Buddy Remix!

$25 ticket price and IM THERE!

Well getting them together, idda know but..

Brooklyn Bodega Festival just started today
    http://www.brooklynbodega.com/brooklyn-hip-hop-festival-2011-3/
  • traestar
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Yeah, definitely. It's funny because it makes sense for that to be the case, but I remember discovering hip hop like it only just hit me… then when I started to look into the history, I was like, 'I've enjoyed all of these songs before' :lol:

SPOILERS:

Yeah, sounds like the rift wasn't that much after MM either, shame because you can see both of their reasons as valid, but IMO, Q-Tip comes across as hard headed; as someone who knows how good they are and is no longer on the humble *forgive me* tip. Where as Phife comes across as bitter before the break in the first place and should have seen that one coming…

Definitely a great documentary though and I agree on those sentiments, can't believe Phife's wife did that for him… *daps*

Thats how I remember all the classic songs to be honest, I was young and heard them again and again until I got older and understood them...channels like MTV, BET, the BOX, VH1, they all helped me in remembering those classics!!

Movie Spoilers:
    Oh my ? , that was deep what Phife's wife did for him, definitely an angel was looking out for him!! People in the theater were crying on that one, very deep!! The breakdown with Phife and Q-Tip is like this...since the beginning Q was in terms the main voice of the group while Phife and Jarobi came in backup especially during their debut album! (What Phife said about that was funny). So of course people are going to look at the main guy in Q-Tip, and I have to admit Q-Tip was a genius when it came to looking for hooks in samples, definitely inspirational to any aspiring producer/DJ. But sometimes being the one that is actually doing the grunt work per say does make you feel like you're a leader and I think thats the case with Q. Phife on the other hand was starting to pick it up especially during Low End Theory and thought on the strength of "hey this is a group thing right here", but the only thing was he started to get sick in which I believe he should've been more responsible but Q-Tip has to be more understanding of his friend's condition. Thats kinda ignorant Q, but I degress.

But the thing is, groups have all types of problems within the group, to me it seems inevitable. It has happened to the best groups in history, besides I think one of them said it, you get tired of each other once you have been in the group for a while and have been everywhere with them. The thing with Phife and Q-Tip is that they were best friends for along time..but once the business got in their lives, it sort of separated them. Thats what happens to these groups.

And I must say that Q-Tip did get Hollywood alittle bit, but believe it or not when Amplified came out, that was one of the albums that got me even more into the underground hip hop culture. I was thinking about rhyming at one time because of Q-Tip, I've never admitted that to anyone! Especially after watching this documentary I really realized that I could relate to Q at some points, from being a Computer Science major to even having my own rifts with my own friends (we didn't start a group, lol but we were a collection of friends) and I felt we were going our separate ways more recently. Outta the main squad, I was the one who stayed in school, graduated college, working on my career..so thats why I could relate to Q-Tip, even Jarobi from now me realizing!

...Damn that was alot lol, oh and Lucy Pearl was my ? back in the day, my mom loved that group as well!!
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    so where can I get/watch this doc
  • traestar
    edited July 2011
    Options
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Thats how I remember all the classic songs to be honest, I was young and heard them again and again until I got older and understood them...channels like MTV, BET, the BOX, VH1, they all helped me in remembering those classics!!

True, but then all I had back then was the radio, so some of the classics you probably remember, I may not… it's funny 'cos as a lil kid I liked TLC and ? (when I was like 9 or somethin'), same with 2pac, Coolio and a bunch of others. Not forgetting Kenan and Kel lol.
    Movie Spoilers:
    Oh my ? , that was deep what Phife's wife did for him, definitely an angel was looking out for him!! People in the theater were crying on that one, very deep!!

No doubt, I couldn't believe it and it was great to see that he was so dumbfounded by what she did, like he didn't take it for granted to have a woman like that in his life. Definitely dope… I also liked that she was a level headed woman telling him straight about his relationship with Tip and that he was hard-headed and that she felt sorry for the other two members. She even stated herself as a fan of Tribe herself, which is definitely cool.
    The breakdown with Phife and Q-Tip is like this...since the beginning Q was in terms the main voice of the group while Phife and Jarobi came in backup especially during their debut album! (What Phife said about that was funny). So of course people are going to look at the main guy in Q-Tip, and I have to admit Q-Tip was a genius when it came to looking for hooks in samples, definitely inspirational to any aspiring producer/DJ. But sometimes being the one that is actually doing the grunt work per say does make you feel like you're a leader and I think thats the case with Q. Phife on the other hand was starting to pick it up especially during Low End Theory and thought on the strength of "hey this is a group thing right here", but the only thing was he started to get sick in which I believe he should've been more responsible but Q-Tip has to be more understanding of his friend's condition. Thats kinda ignorant Q, but I degress.

No doubt, but at the same time, the reason for their success was Q-Tip's perfectionism and I can understand how, if Q was watching him hitting all the sugary drinks and not seeing too much of an affect in the beginning that he would think all was cool… especially considering how diabetes is one of those illnesses that people kinda play down when it can actually be as serious as he had it…

Besides that, definitely agree with the Low End Theory and Phife coming more and more into it as was discussed in the documentary, it's definitely how you stated in that it was a group thing and that's why I've always coincided with Tip before seeing the documentary because Tip always put Tribe down even though it was his production. Amazing how he did the drums and ? for 'Can I Kick It', which going back to earlier, is a track I loved on the radio as a kid.
    But the thing is, groups have all types of problems within the group, to me it seems inevitable. It has happened to the best groups in history, besides I think one of them said it, you get tired of each other once you have been in the group for a while and have been everywhere with them. The thing with Phife and Q-Tip is that they were best friends for along time..but once the business got in their lives, it sort of separated them. Thats what happens to these groups.

And I must say that Q-Tip did get Hollywood alittle bit, but believe it or not when Amplified came out, that was one of the albums that got me even more into the underground hip hop culture. I was thinking about rhyming at one time because of Q-Tip, I've never admitted that to anyone! Especially after watching this documentary I really realized that I could relate to Q at some points, from being a Computer Science major to even having my own rifts with my own friends (we didn't start a group, lol but we were a collection of friends) and I felt we were going our separate ways more recently. Outta the main squad, I was the one who stayed in school, graduated college, working on my career..so thats why I could relate to Q-Tip, even Jarobi from now me realizing!

...Damn that was alot lol, oh and Lucy Pearl was my ? back in the day, my mom loved that group as well!!

LOL @ bolded, the same for me too haha. All my friends stayed at home instead of studying, but we've stayed cool through time and still pretty close now, although my friends from Uni are definitely closer friends.

haha I've played this Lucy Pearl track loads:

Such a great beat, I need to get their album again.