A Tribe Called Quest vs. Michael Rapaport? *SPOILERS*

Options

Comments

• traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    True, but then all I had back then was the radio, so some of the classics you probably remember, I may not… it's funny 'cos as a lil kid I liked TLC and ? (when I was like 9 or somethin'), same with 2pac, Coolio and a bunch of others. Not forgetting Kenan and Kel lol.

All of that too, bro!! My cousin was a bigger fan of TLC than I was!! And I loved TLC!!
    No doubt, I couldn't believe it and it was great to see that he was so dumbfounded by what she did, like he didn't take it for granted to have a woman like that in his life. Definitely dope… I also liked that she was a level headed woman telling him straight about his relationship with Tip and that he was hard-headed and that she felt sorry for the other two members. She even stated herself as a fan of Tribe herself, which is definitely cool.
    Thats what I'm saying, Phife definitely got a good one!!

No doubt, but at the same time, the reason for their success was Q-Tip's perfectionism and I can understand how, if Q was watching him hitting all the sugary drinks and not seeing too much of an affect in the beginning that he would think all was cool… especially considering how diabetes is one of those illnesses that people kinda play down when it can actually be as serious as he had it…

Besides that, definitely agree with the Low End Theory and Phife coming more and more into it as was discussed in the documentary, it's definitely how you stated in that it was a group thing and that's why I've always coincided with Tip before seeing the documentary because Tip always put Tribe down even though it was his production. Amazing how he did the drums and ? for 'Can I Kick It', which going back to earlier, is a track I loved on the radio as a kid.

Q-Tip even said that and really you...can't really blame anyone of that but Phife, even tho I think it was passed on to him. But exactly you have to stay on top of it!

And that Buggin video definitely was a classic, I loved that song and video especially with the eyes, haha!! Sometimes with being a perfectionist, it could really be exhausting...in fact thats one of the reasons why the rap game is so bogus right now, because people want to get in the game but aren't willing to put their heart and soul into projects. Tribe was definitely a favorite as a kid, I can say now and believe that (further more than Rawkus records) the Native Tongues Movement drove me to follow conscious rap even as young as 9 years old!!

LOL @ bolded, the same for me too haha. All my friends stayed at home instead of studying, but we've stayed cool through time and still pretty close now, although my friends from Uni are definitely closer friends.

And I mean we're all still close, we could hang at any time, but it's just we are growing up as my mom would say!
    haha I've played this Lucy Pearl track loads:

Such a great beat, I need to get their album again.

I knew you'd post that, That Track was too BADASS!! Still to this day!! ? , this track was amazing!!
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Rapaport was just on Tavis Smiley's show on PBS and stated that they smoothed some things over, but Tip was still angry about other parts of the film.
  • traestar
    edited July 2011
    Options
    cobbland wrote: »
    Rapaport was just on Tavis Smiley's show on PBS and stated that they smoothed some things over, but Tip was still angry about other parts of the film.

Man Q-Tip was called out right there by Phife...then towards the end they showed the fight between him and Phife! And probably he felt like he was the enemy throughout the movie, to be honest it did reflect how he was to them but i think it was more in the sense of keeping their music crisp!! And then I think as soon as Q got into movies and all, he did start to steer away from the group and go for solo. That letter they talked about in the MTV interview is still weird tho, why would they try to prevent the group from getting credit if the movie was about them??
  • traestar
    edited July 2011
    Options
    peep the interview again,exactly what I said is exactly what they were talking about

http://www.mtv.com/videos/news/633225/tribe-talk-about-issues-with-michael-rappaport.jhtml#id=1659979
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    traestar wrote: »

And that Buggin video definitely was a classic, I loved that song and video especially with the eyes, haha!! Sometimes with being a perfectionist, it could really be exhausting...in fact thats one of the reasons why the rap game is so bogus right now, because people want to get in the game but aren't willing to put their heart and soul into projects. Tribe was definitely a favorite as a kid, I can say now and believe that (further more than Rawkus records) the Native Tongues Movement drove me to follow conscious rap even as young as 9 years old!!

LOL I loved the eyes too, funny video… both Midnight Marauders and Low End Theory are in my top 50 albums of all time (I'm sure they would be, if I made one, maybe one for the summer lol).

Agreed on the heart and soul into projects though and it might not even be their fault, labels dictate so much, sometimes it's hard to release your heart and soul when they want something that's fake from the start.

I'll peep those links later, props :tu
  • traestar
    edited July 2011
    Options
    LOL I loved the eyes too, funny video… both Midnight Marauders and Low End Theory are in my top 50 albums of all time (I'm sure they would be, if I made one, maybe one for the summer lol).

Agreed on the heart and soul into projects though and it might not even be their fault, labels dictate so much, sometimes it's hard to release your heart and soul when they want something that's fake from the start.

I'll peep those links later, props :tu

Oh My Gawd, RuffDraft...so freaking true!!
    You can see it on Chris Lighty's face..you can see how some of those A&Rs were like or were becoming like just by watching the movie..Chris and Mr. Weiss! They are prime examples of how the labels began to dictate alot of the artist's work. Thats why the industry only gotten from bad to worse over the years!! Yea check out the interviews again, it definitely fills more of the spaces of what happen...ignore the Consequence interview tho, I like his music but that was just him looking like a fool to be honest with you!
  • Ishi
    Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Uh what day is it today it 7/29/11 yet? That is when it plays in Dallas
  • traestar
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Ishi wrote: »
    Uh what day is it today it 7/29/11 yet? That is when it plays in Dallas

Its been getting crazy love so far, You'll enjoy it!!
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Oh My Gawd, RuffDraft...so freaking true!!
    You can see it on Chris Lighty's face..you can see how some of those A&Rs were like or were becoming like just by watching the movie..Chris and Mr. Weiss! They are prime examples of how the labels began to dictate alot of the artist's work. Thats why the industry only gotten from bad to worse over the years!! Yea check out the interviews again, it definitely fills more of the spaces of what happen...ignore the Consequence interview tho, I like his music but that was just him looking like a fool to be honest with you!

Is that film worth checking out?! Props on the links again, I've been really busy today, hopefully check them out tomorrow!!
  • traestar
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Is that film worth checking out?! Props on the links again, I've been really busy today, hopefully check them out tomorrow!!

I thought you've seen the movie?? Dang, I didn't want to give you anything about it!! The movie is WELL WORTH it.... the interviews are good too!!
  • traestar
    edited July 2011
    Options
    [video]http://launch.vidaroo.com/8880[/video]

here's a HOT97 interview last week
  • ty the great
    ty the great Members Posts: 162
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Probably wont get a chance to watch till it leaks or the DVD, cause none of my theatres will get this, but I need to see this ? .
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I thought you've seen the movie?? Dang, I didn't want to give you anything about it!! The movie is WELL WORTH it.... the interviews are good too!!

My bad, I have seen the movie and it was great, I just meant the links that you posted up… I thought they were to a different documentary?
    Probably wont get a chance to watch till it leaks or the DVD, cause none of my theatres will get this, but I need to see this ? .

This would be a release well worth searching Google for…

But definitely copping when it drops on DVD!
    [video]http://launch.vidaroo.com/8880[/video]

here's a HOT97 interview last week

That's a dope video, lol @ Q-Tip working on a song for a year lol

Hopefully his cuts will make Watch the Throne!!!
  • traestar
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Lol @ Ali saying he's been trying to get him to finish

Q-Tip last solo album is real good, I just didn't get a chance to get it
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Lol @ Ali saying he's been trying to get him to finish

Q-Tip last solo album is real good, I just didn't get a chance to get it

Will that be a solo project from Ali? It's a shame there's no more Lucy Pearl…

I've got it, but I haven't got the CD yet… did really like it, more so when I went back to it after rip.dilla's thread…
  • traestar
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Will that be a solo project from Ali? It's a shame there's no more Lucy Pearl…

I've got it, but I haven't got the CD yet… did really like it, more so when I went back to it after rip.dilla's thread…

yea man I gotta get their album
  • traestar
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I've just heard from Masta Ace earlier that they had a roundtable discussion of the film with Michael Rapaport!
    Will definitely share you the link when I get it!!
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I've just heard from Masta Ace earlier that they had a roundtable discussion of the film with Michael Rapaport!
    Will definitely share you the link when I get it!!

Dope, that should be cool to see, can't wait for Masta Ace's album to drop too!!
  • traestar
    edited July 2011
    Options
    [video=vimeo;26921753]

Here it is, Part 1
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    [video=vimeo;26921753]

Here it is, Part 1

Great post Trae and a nice collection of hip hop heads to discuss it, Masta Ace is one of my favourites of all time. Can't wait for his release with Doom.
  • traestar
    edited August 2011
    Options
    This is Part 2 of the interview

[video=vimeo;27443736]
  • The 3mcee
    The 3mcee Members Posts: 588
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Man you guys killed me with the spoiler alerts. LOL. I couldn't read have the post in the third due to that ? . LOL. I can't wait until it comes out on DVD because unfortunately where I am at they will never show this. Thanks for the updates I could actually read though fellas. LOL
  • traestar
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The 3mcee wrote: »
    Man you guys killed me with the spoiler alerts. LOL. I couldn't read have the post in the third due to that ? . LOL. I can't wait until it comes out on DVD because unfortunately where I am at they will never show this. Thanks for the updates I could actually read though fellas. LOL

Sorry about that
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The 3mcee wrote: »

LOL! Our bad, we apologise. I'll put it in the thread title :tu