Is Tom Hanks the Goat actor ?

Options
2»

Comments

• The Entrepreneur
    The Entrepreneur Members Posts: 689
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Robert D has been in better movies in my opinion but I said goat actor meaning he can do it all. Robert was horrible in rocky and whatever and he was a serious role in Analyze this and meet the parents. He can't carry a movie in every scene that ain't a serious drama. I mean dude got an oscar node for Big a kids movie. The difference between Tom and Robert is that Tom came into Roberts genre, gansta movies and gave you road to perdition one of the best gansta movies in the last ten years without Al Pachino and all the other great actors Robert works with. I mean Robert works with goat directors, and actors while Tom carries movies on his own for the most part.

Saving private Ryan (One of the Goat military roles)
    Road to perdition ( One of the goat Gangsta movie roles)
    Castaway (One of the Goat one man shows)
    Philadelphia (One of the Goat ? characters) before it was cool to play ? dudes
    Forrest Gump (One of the Goat characters and alot of the scenes were off the dome)
    Sleepless ( One of the Goat Romantic comedies)
    League of there own ( Should have gotten best supporting in a sports movie)
  • The Entrepreneur
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Since When Is Forest Gump A One Man Show? Sally Field And Gary Sinise Turned In Equally Impressive Roles And His Mother And Lt.Dan....And No Talking To A Wilson Volleyball For 90 Minutes Doesnt Make You A GOAT Either...Ive Seen All His Movies....Even The Cheesy 80's Comedies Like BIG ....Hes A Good Solid Actor But Nothing Hes Done Is Been On Par With Laurence Of Arabia, Alex DeLarge, Travis Bickle, Citizen Kane Or Even A Randle McMurphy....

Robert DeNiro
    Jack Nicholson
    AL Pacino
    Gene Hackman

And Even Newer Cats Like

Javier Bardem
    Daniel Day Lewis
    Denzel Washington

? On Hanks

First off all the movies you named were made in like the 50's and 60's and then you name actors from today

DDL may have the range of a Tom Hanks but some of your choices are a joke

Al Pacino is probably my favorite but dude couldn't do Tom Hanks roles and you know that, can you picture any of these guys in castaway, forrest gump, or Philly get out.

Denzel plays the same role in every movie. Gene Hackman LOL, you like serious actors I got it but these guys couldn't dream of doing castaway where he dominates every scene.

Javier Bardem Please don't speak again to put him on a level with Tom Hanks

What movie was Tom Hanks bad in ?? I can name several for everyone up there
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I think he's one of the best of our generation, and its b/c like you said, his ability to play a wide variety of roles/characters and making them each very unique. unlike someone like a Denzel who plays different roles, but always seems to be that same type of character.

Johnny Depp is up there too. and probably 10 years from now, Leo may be in this category

sidebar. Dustin Hoffman should get some love as well
  • WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    U gotta give Hanks a top 5 slot dude was a comedic actor in the 80's and early 90's then Philadelphia hit and Then a string of great performances. Dude movies from 95 to 2004 literally ran the boxoffice. I watch Road to Perdition and he was great as a gangsta as well. Dude has great range. He's his generation James Stewart period.
  • American.Loo
    American.Loo Members Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    matt damon is underrated

tom hanks was my fave but he aint made a terrific movie in several years

daniel day lewis is amazing

denzel is my fave. and leo
  • Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Denzel just plays Denzel now..................
  • The Entrepreneur
    edited March 2011
    Options
    so if a movie was made in the the 50s or 60s its irrelevant ?

and nawledge you seem taken aback that i chose daniel day over boddy d

Naw I was pointing out that he named all new actors and that he named all old movies. I haven't seen alot of the classics so I can't say that he is greater than the Brando's etc but all the actors were from Tom's generation and none of the movies were.

His 80's movies were trash but he was still a good actor in the movies, can't say the same for Bobby horrible in rocky and whatever

DDL has a good case though, love Plainview and I think it was one of the goat performances by one man in a movie
  • The Entrepreneur
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Yeah DDL is up there can't hate, I didn't see the nine but I don't think too many people mentioned on here could do a musical. Yeah that dude is one of the goats
  • NAWLEDGE_REIGNS
    NAWLEDGE_REIGNS Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    so if a movie was made in the the 50s or 60s its irrelevant ?

and nawledge you seem taken aback that i chose daniel day over boddy d

Not Really DDL Body of Work Although Packed With Great Performances Isnt Yet Big Enough IMHO To Surpass DeNiro Just Yet....I Wish He Would Do More Movies To Be Perfectly Honest With You...DeNiro Is My Favorite Actor So Their Is Some Bias In There Too
  • The Entrepreneur
    edited March 2011
    Options
    bobby d wasnt in rocky

Rocky and Bullwinkle, not sure how you spell it so I said Rocky and whatever

Yeah I agree with you Nawledge Reigns on DDL doing a couple more movies, he likes to take breaks in between but he does have potiential to get another Oscar for the biopic of Abe Lincoln which he will play Abe directed by Steven Spielberg, should be great. As far as Bobby D goes he and Pacino are personal faves probably Robert is my favorite as well. I have seen almost all of Robert's movies multiple times and I just think he has been in so many great movies that I like where as Tom has done the terminal and other stuff that I had no interest in. I just think the range of Tom makes him the Goat but not my personal favorite.
  • NAWLEDGE_REIGNS
    NAWLEDGE_REIGNS Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    First off all the movies you named were made in like the 50's and 60's and then you name actors from today

DDL may have the range of a Tom Hanks but some of your choices are a joke

Al Pacino is probably my favorite but dude couldn't do Tom Hanks roles and you know that, can you picture any of these guys in castaway, forrest gump, or Philly get out.

Denzel plays the same role in every movie. Gene Hackman LOL, you like serious actors I got it but these guys couldn't dream of doing castaway where he dominates every scene.

Javier Bardem Please don't speak again to put him on a level with Tom Hanks

What movie was Tom Hanks bad in ?? I can name several for everyone up there

SMH Im Not Even Gonna Argue All These Points...Most Of The Dudes I Mentioned Were In Their Primes In The 60's And 70's And Yes Theyre Still Acting Which Makes Them Contemporary ...You Obviously Know Little About Cinema If You Dismiss Gene Hackman And Javier Bardem...The Latter Can Go Toe To Toe With Anyone On That List Let Alone Tom Hanks...DeNiro In Rocky Really? Try Again
  • The Entrepreneur
    edited March 2011
    Options
    SMH Im Not Even Gonna Argue All These Points...Most Of The Dudes I Mentioned Were In Their Primes In The 60's And 70's And Yes Theyre Still Acting Which Makes Them Contemporary ...You Obviously Know Little About Cinema If You Dismiss Gene Hackman And Javier Bardem...The Latter Can Go Toe To Toe With Anyone On That List Let Alone Tom Hanks...DeNiro In Rocky Really? Try Again

Rocky and Bullwinkle you idiot

Citizen Kane came out in the 40's you idiot

None of the actors you named could do a romantic comedy and you know it talking about they shy away from those, LMAO cause they can't do them. Yeah Denzel and Gene Hackman would do great jobs in a romantic comedy. Deniro doesn't do romantic comedy but he does Rocky and Bullwinkle you are an idiot they can't do it case closed