The Ark

Options
H-Rap 180
H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
How did Noah do it, if you do consider it possible?

Comments

• The GMW
    The GMW Members Posts: 259
    edited March 2011
    Options
    It's not possible. But it's also not possible for people to live 600 years or for snakes to talk, so I don't think whether or not something is possible matters to someone who believes the bible's stories.
  • toktaylor
    toktaylor Members Posts: 612 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    How did Noah do it, if you do consider it possible?

the closest one could fathom to the truth is that noah collected the DNA of some animals that were unique to that area to repopulate the area after the flood. of course giving that the technology was not available at the time, he would have to be aided by extra-terrestrials or there was no such story.
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Metaphor and allegory are terms people should become familiar with in regards to THE Book.
  • toktaylor
    edited March 2011
    Options
    major pain wrote: »
    Metaphor and allegory are terms people should become familiar with in regards to THE Book.

YES..especially when it is convenient...you see they (the writers) were all learned scholars and the bible was not written for the simple folks.
  • major pain
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    Soooo ark is a metaphor for.........?

Seen his nakedness is metaphor for.........?

What does that have to do with anything. The story itself is allegory as are most stories in the bible.
    toktaylor wrote: »
    YES..especially when it is convenient...you see they (the writers) were all learned scholars and the bible was not written for the simple folks.

Simple folks? The Tortoise and the Hare, ya know a children's story, is allegory.
  • major pain
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I think it would help with understanding if we knew what each metaphor represented in reality.

The message is whats more important. You dont have to believe every single word in order for it to have some meaning.
  • toktaylor
    edited March 2011
    Options
    What does that have to do with anything. The story itself is allegory as are most stories in the bible.

Simple folks? The Tortoise and the Hare, ya know a children's story, is allegory.

so the writers was targeting children as the primary audiences of the bible?... why would they not just related the story as it happened or was foretold.

Wikipedia
    "Allegory is a figurative mode of representation conveying meaning other than the literal. Allegory communicates its message by means of symbolic figures, actions or symbolic representation. Allegory is generally treated as a figure of rhetoric, but an allegory does not have to be expressed in language: it may be addressed to the eye, and is often found in realistic painting, sculpture or some other form of mimetic, or representative art. Simply put, an allegory is a device used to present an idea, principle or meaning, which can be presented in literary form, such as a poem or novel, or in visual form, such as in painting or sculpture. As a literary device, an allegory in its most general sense is an extended metaphor. As an artistic device, an allegory is a visual symbolic representation. An example of a simple visual allegory is the image of the grim reaper. Viewers understand that the image of the grim reaper is a symbolic representation of death. Not every fiction with general application is an allegory."
  • H-Rap 180
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Soooo ark is a metaphor for.........?

Seen his nakedness is metaphor for.........?

LoL nice one.
  • toktaylor
    edited March 2011
    Options
    The message is whats more important. You dont have to believe every single word in order for it to have some meaning.

what is the message in the ark. If your children or relatives offends you you should just wipe them all out including all their animals. wait..pick a favorite relative to save including 2 pairs of hampsters, cats and dogs, then eliminate the rest. later on when thay are grown up and they offend you again you do the same thing only this time instead of flood you uses fire...ad so on and so forth till the end of time.
  • major pain
    edited March 2011
    Options
    so the writers was targeting children as the primary audiences of the bible?... why would they not just related the story as it happened or was foretold.

Where did I say anything about anyone targeting children with the bible?

You mentioned the bible not being for simple folks. I brought up the notion that an allegorical story can appeal to anyone.
  • major pain
    edited March 2011
    Options
    what is the message in the ark. If your children or relatives offends you you should just wipe them all out including all their animals. wait..pick a favorite relative to save including 2 pairs of hampsters, cats and dogs, then eliminate the rest. later on when thay are grown up and they offend you again you do the same thing only this time instead of flood you uses fire...ad so on and so forth till the end of time.

Apparently, you have not read the story to draw this out.
  • toktaylor
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Apparently, you have not read the story to draw this out.

ok correct me...

? /CREATOR = FATHER
    HUMAN/CREATED = CHILDREN
    HUMAN SINNED = OFFENCE TO ?
    DISTRUCTION OF EARTH BY FLOOD = ELIMINATE
    SAVED NOAH & FAMILY = SAVED FAVORITE CHILDREN
    SAVED 2 PAIR OF EVERY ANIMALS = OTHER REMAINING (INNOCENT) ANIMALS KILLED
    END OF TIME/REVELATION = ELIMINATION OF MANKIND AGAIN (EXCEPT THOSE FAVORITE CHILDREN)
    REPLESNISH EARTH WITH MAN = MAN WILL EVENTUALLY SIN AGAIN
    THE CYCLE CONTINUES
    ...did i miss out any message the story was conveying?
  • H-Rap 180
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ok correct me...

? /CREATOR = FATHER
    HUMAN/CREATED = CHILDREN
    END OF TIME/REVELATION = ELIMINATION OF MANKIND AGAIN (EXCEPT THOSE FAVORITE CHILDREN)
    THE CYCLE CONTINUES

Yes its metaphor allegory for never forgetting an umbrella.
  • jonlakadeadmic
    jonlakadeadmic Members Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Plus...all those animals together on a boat would never work :/

• H-Rap 180
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Plus...all those animals together on a boat would never work :/

Maybe its a metaphor/allegory for overcrowding in public housing.
  • Tha-Realist
    Tha-Realist Members Posts: 491
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Tha stories told in tha bible are simply ? ... It doesn't even need to be a discussion.

According to CNN :
    Organized religion will all but vanish eventually from nine Western-style democracies, a team of mathematicians predict in a new paper based on census data stretching back 100 years.

It won't die out completely, but "religion will be driven toward extinction" in countries including Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the Netherlands, they say.

It will also wither away in Austria, the Czech Republic, Finland and Switzerland, they anticipate.

They can't make a prediction about the United States because the U.S. census doesn't ask about religion, lead author Daniel Abrams told CNN.

But nine other countries provide enough data for detailed mathematical modeling, he said.

"If you look at the data, 'unaffiliated' is the fastest-growing group" in those countries, he said.
  • major pain
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ok correct me...

? /CREATOR = FATHER
    HUMAN/CREATED = CHILDREN
    THE CYCLE CONTINUES

If thats all you get from it then thats too bad.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Is it possible he built the "ark", it COULD be possible YES (depends on the circumstances). It took how many years though to build it? There is no specific answer, the only thing is when he first starts on it Noah is 500 years old, and when he enters the ark he is 600. A wild guess can say at the most, 100 years. So if you're given his age and the years it took, then it's not possible.

1. It is impossible for anyone to live 500 years. 100 is a damn praise worthy age today, I think the oldest is at 119 or 120. If you do think it is possible can that be proven? There isn't one remain that has been dug up that is claimed an age of "500 years old of age".

2. To pack in 2 of each species of ALL animals would be impossible as well. It would take one hell of a boat, PLUS FOOD for ALL. Not to mention many animals wouldn't get along, maybe lions and zebras, you know, the lions meal.

3. The cross between fresh water and salt water would've probably killed all life in the water.

4. Noah's family and himself did all this, a family of 5 or 6?
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    listen to you ? have me at a lost for words
  • H-Rap 180
    edited March 2011
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    Is it possible he built the "ark", it COULD be possible YES (depends on the circumstances). It took how many years though to build it? There is no specific answer, the only thing is when he first starts on it Noah is 500 years old, and when he enters the ark he is 600. A wild guess can say at the most, 100 years. So if you're given his age and the years it took, then it's not possible.

1. It is impossible for anyone to live 500 years. 100 is a damn praise worthy age today, I think the oldest is at 119 or 120. If you do think it is possible can that be proven? There isn't one remain that has been dug up that is claimed an age of "500 years old of age".

2. To pack in 2 of each species of ALL animals would be impossible as well. It would take one hell of a boat, PLUS FOOD for ALL. Not to mention many animals wouldn't get along, maybe lions and zebras, you know, the lions meal.

3. The cross between fresh water and salt water would've probably killed all life in the water.

4. Noah's family and himself did all this, a family of 5 or 6?

Damn so a polar bear and a desert-lizard couldnt co-exist on a prehistoric boat due??

:(
  • toktaylor
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Another Flood Question
    The very first thing Noah did after he and his family and his animals landed in the neck-deep mud and slime of the year's deluge was to build an altar and offer up a thanksgiving sacrifice to the loving ? who in his providence had destroyed all his creation except the little Noah family ménage. It is recorded that Noah took one each "of every clean beast and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar" to ? there in the mud (Gen. 8: 20 ).T he prime wonder is, as there were only two of these different kinds of animals and fowls ("the male and his female") in the ark, and Noah killed and burnt in sacrifice one (whether male or female) of each kind, how was the species was ever afterwards replenished on the earth?.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    Maybe its a metaphor/allegory for overcrowding in public housing.

LOL.....or a strip club on a Friday night.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Another Flood Question
    The very first thing Noah did after he and his family and his animals landed in the neck-deep mud and slime of the year's deluge was to build an altar and offer up a thanksgiving sacrifice to the loving ? who in his providence had destroyed all his creation except the little Noah family ménage. It is recorded that Noah took one each "of every clean beast and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar" to ? there in the mud (Gen. 8: 20 ).T he prime wonder is, as there were only two of these different kinds of animals and fowls ("the male and his female") in the ark, and Noah killed and burnt in sacrifice one (whether male or female) of each kind, how was the species was ever afterwards replenished on the earth?.

Reason number 75,560 the Bible is no more true or false than the book I wrote this Thursday, "The Day I Had An Orgy with Tatyana Ali, Halle Berry, and A Space Alien From Mars".

Winning!!!!!!!
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited March 2011
    Options
    T he prime wonder is, as there were only two of these different kinds of animals and fowls ("the male and his female") in the ark, and Noah killed and burnt in sacrifice one (whether male or female) of each kind, how was the species was ever afterwards replenished on the earth?.
    well, this one at least is simply a matter of not reading Genesis 7: "Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female. Of fowls also of the air by sevens, the male and the female; to keep seed alive upon the face of all the earth."

or if you're me, you presume it's not a book to be taken literally
  • H-Rap 180
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Reason number 75,560 the Bible is no more true or false than the book I wrote this Thursday, "The Day I Had An Orgy with Tatyana Ali, Halle Berry, and A Space Alien From Mars".

Winning!!!!!!!

LMAO Tatiyana is too fine....

The moral of the story is never take anything the ? says literally.