? made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve

Huruma
Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
edited May 2011 in The Social Lounge
I would like to hear a valid, secular argument against ? marriage. I have never in my life come across one.

Marriage is not a Christian idea, it's found in almost all (if not all) cultures. Even if the 'traditional' definition of Western marriage has always involved a man and a woman, the traditional definition of marriage in most cultures (except maybe for hunter-gatherer cultures), including Western culture, has been an economic exchange between a man and his father in law. Women have traditionally been considered property or at least subservient, the idea of marriage being a union between equals and an expression of romantic love is relatively recent. The traditional definition of 'person' in the United States doesn't (entirely) include Black people and Canada didn't legally regard women as persons until 1929, women have traditionally not held the right to vote, southern states have not traditionally allowed interracial marriages etc. Countless traditions have been discarded when general consensus has come to view those traditions as unethical or irrational. There's nothing sacred about tradition, culture evolves.

I'm not even sure why marriage should be a legal institution to begin with but as long as it remains one, there is no legal or moral justification for denying an entire group of people (homosexuals) the same legal privileges and opportunities that another group (heterosexuals) has. Denying ? the legal right to get married and have the legal privileges that marriage, and not just civil unions, provide is no different than denying people of color/women the right to public facilities, the same education as whites, the right to vote etc.

Simple logic.

Comments

• Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    I care less what ? people do with themselves.
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    I really dont care who marry who. Their choice whom they choose to be miserable with.
  • jonlakadeadmic
    jonlakadeadmic Members Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    idc just dont be doin anything in public
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    I care less what ? people do with themselves.
    this ^^ plus I was under the impression that ? created everyone..... even steve
  • Miles HIGH
    Miles HIGH Members Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Homosexuality(both ways) disgusts me, and I don't agree with it. However, I don't feel that they should be denied any human rights just because they do some disgusting unnatural ? .
  • Plop Star
    Plop Star Members Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    i really could care less.............if ? wanna get married its none of my business
  • Huruma
    edited March 2011
    Miles HIGH wrote: »
    Homosexuality(both ways) disgusts me, and I don't agree with it. However, I don't feel that they should be denied any human rights just because they do some disgusting unnatural ? .

What do you mean you don't "agree" with it? It's not a political stance.

And homosexuality is 'natural' and found in almost all animal species.
  • Copper
    edited March 2011
    some bonobos and penguins are ? ....
  • Miles HIGH
    Miles HIGH Members Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Huruma wrote: »
    What do you mean you don't "agree" with it? It's not a political stance.

Ion agree with the homosexual lifestyle choice. Some, if not most, do it by choice. Especially in our culture. And Ion feel that it's natural. Ion care bout animals, cause Ion consider myself as an animal. Regardless of some scientific definitions...
  • Copper
    edited March 2011
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    i hope everyone in the world turns ? so the human species dies out. I really do.

I bet ur already doing "your part"
  • gibbsboy
    gibbsboy Members Posts: 282 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Yeah...idk what people do...get married...get divorced...do ur thing ? people!! T/s...you can find ur steve and get married!!!
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    hey president bush...how do u feel about not finding wmd's in iraq

Mr.bush : umm err

reporter: president bush, what are we doing about oil, the environment and whats the status on katrina victims?

Mr. bush: err ummmm

reporter: mr.bush what do u think of ? marriage ?

Mr. bush: ? them dam ? ......

*i concur with bush
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    This thread is literally ?
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    i hope everyone in the world turns ? so the human species dies out. I really do.
    LOL @ You being a person in the world.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Marriage is not a Christian idea

Who said it was?
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    n/h @ you concurring with ? ?

nh @ quoting some1 u think is in accordance with ? ? .
    matter of fact nh @ me quoting some1 who quoted some1 he thinks is in accordance with ? ? .....

smh nh
  • Havelx
    Havelx Members Posts: 373
    edited March 2011
    Why is T/S concerned about ? marriage?
  • noirwar
    noirwar Members Posts: 514
    edited March 2011
    First off Give them marriage. They are human and our justice system has done worse for the real ? . Then perhaps they will stop marching for ? that should be legal anyway. Second the separation of church and state is complete b.s.
    How the ? can they tell a pastor who they should and shouldn't marry. Let the legal system just give them the contract of marriage out right. Who the ? said anything about ? any how.
  • noirwar
    edited March 2011

This ? shut it down
  • bugsy0911
    bugsy0911 Members Posts: 373
    edited March 2011

So is ? . Your argument for it being natural is a bit rubbish. It isn't.
  • Pura~Diabla
    Pura~Diabla Members Posts: 1,157
    edited March 2011
  • Huruma
    edited March 2011
    bugsy0911 wrote: »
    So is ? . Your argument for it being natural is a bit rubbish. It isn't.

All human behavior is 'natural' because the brain is a physical entity that's subject to the same physical laws of causality that everything else in the universe is subject to. It's impossible to behave "unnaturally" and even if it weren't, why should we prefer wars, poverty, disease etc. (all 'natural') over vaccinations, antibiotics, modern technology etc. (all 'unnatural')?

If you mean it's 'unnatural' in that it's learned/cultural, you're wrong. Most likely, genetics and prenatal exposure to certain hormones are responsible for homosexuality.

Incestuous couples should also be allowed to marry.
  • noirwar
    edited March 2011
    I am from the city without a state (DC) and I got wind from some Homosexual dude that I worked with around the cap hill area that said that he had tons of friends that would meet up with congressmen after hours for sex and coke. Same ? who vote in favor of Christian interest, getting theirs on the low. No record of this by me just what was told. Soon after he said that ? , the news was out on ? like Mark Foley, Mark Kirk, Mark Souder.........
  • bugsy0911
    bugsy0911 Members Posts: 373
    edited March 2011
    All human behavior is 'natural' because the brain is a physical entity that's subject to the same physical laws of causality that everything else in the universe is subject to. It's impossible to behave "unnaturally" and even if it weren't, why should we prefer wars, poverty, disease etc. (all 'natural') over vaccinations, antibiotics, modern technology etc. (all 'unnatural')?

If you mean it's 'unnatural' in that it's learned/cultural, you're wrong. Most likely, genetics and prenatal exposure to certain hormones are responsible for homosexuality.
    Incestuous couples should also be allowed to marry.

SMH. Everytime you talk I just want to smack you and tell you go outside but I don't have the patience to go back and forth with you since regardless of what I say to you, it wont sway what you already believe. You're young, and a bit of a psuedo-intellectual. Good luck with that.
  • JadaRoss
    JadaRoss Members Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Being ? or ? marriage is right