If Gotham is New York. Where is Metropolis?

Options
lion_heart
lion_heart Members Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in Quite Comical
Anyone have a clue

Comments

• TimroD
    TimroD Confirm Email Posts: 1,685 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    look at it this way. Metropolis is NY during the day. Gotham is NY at night, or like the post Guliani NY.

Bludhaven (? grayson's turf) is Newark, NJ.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    TimroD wrote: »
    chi town...

Dats what I think
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Back in the 80's I was once told that Metropolis was New York above 42nd St and Gotham is New York below 42nd St. In the DCU, New York, Metropolis, and Gotham City are three seperate cities. I from what I gather, all three cities are within driving distance of each other. All three cities are in the in The Northeast or Mid Atlantic states. All three are on the Atlantic Ocean. Personally, when I think of a real life equivalent to Gotham City, I think Detroit with N.O.'s level of corruption. Gotham City is completely and totally ? up.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    gotham seemed more like chi-town, not as big as metropolis(nyc) but still a big city.
  • arbitration
    arbitration Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I think NY was Gotham back in the 70's - 00's, ? era, pre-Guiliani days. Not, New York is probably closer to Metropolis than anything actually. I'd say Chicago or L.A. is the closest thing to Gotham we got - small cluster of affluence surrounded by massive degree of crime.
  • robdaze151
    robdaze151 Banned Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    either one could be NY or the Chi if you think about it.
    Those are the cities I always thought of.
    but Smallville is in Ohio
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    robdaze151 wrote: »
    either one could be NY or the Chi if you think about it.
    Those are the cities I always thought of.
    but Smallville is in Ohio

Since the Byrne retcon, they've kept Smallville in Kansas.
  • Mr. 66Hundred
    Mr. 66Hundred Members Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Gotham City is in New Jersey....
    Metropolis is in Delaware....
    Metropolis, Gotham, and New York close to each other

the Smallville tv series has Metropolis set in Kansas becuz it helps with the plot of the series
  • lion_heart
    lion_heart Members Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I was watching an episode of Young Justice last night (epsiode 5) and it seems like Gotham and Metropolis are pretty much next to each other.
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    i thought it was Seattle
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    it varies due to writers, shows, and diff story lines...but here is the atlas of the dc universe
    dcusa_ne.gif
  • NAWLEDGE_REIGNS
    NAWLEDGE_REIGNS Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    look at it this way. Metropolis is NY during the day. Gotham is NY at night, or like the post Guliani NY.

Bludhaven (? grayson's turf) is Newark, NJ.

Pretty Much....DC Has A ? Up Sense Of Topography
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I always thougt of metropolis as being more like LA and gotham more like chicago or new york
  • bmoreeast
    bmoreeast Members Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    it varies due to writers, shows, and diff story lines...but here is the atlas of the dc universe
    dcusa_ne.gif

Damn i always thought Gotham city was Chi and Metropolis was NY.
    Boy was i wrong! Who would have thought Metropolis was in Delaware, lls.
    But i also didnt know that NY was actually represented in the DCU. And that all 3 were supposedly close.
  • Mr. Terrific
    Mr. Terrific Members Posts: 483
    edited April 2011
    Options
    A while ago, I was curious about where Gotham actually represented and just through superhero comic sites and fan boards, the consensus is that Gotham is in New Jersey.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
  • ocelot
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Writer Bill Finger on the naming of the city and reasoning for changing Batman's locale from Manhattan to a fictional city: "Originally I was going to call Gotham City 'Civic City'. Then I tried 'Capital City', then 'Coast City'. Then I flipped through the phone book and spotted the name 'Gotham Jewelers' and said, 'That's it', Gotham City. We didn't call it New York because we didn't want anybody in any city to identify with it."[1] "Gotham" had long been a well-known nickname for New York City even prior to Batman's 1939 introduction,[2] which explains why "Gotham Jewelers" and many other businesses in New York City have the word "Gotham" in them. The name Gotham was first popularized as a nickname for New York City in the nineteenth century periodical Salmagundi.

Within the DC Universe, Metropolis is portrayed as one of the largest and wealthiest cities on earth. The co-creator and original artist of Superman, Joe Shuster, modeled the Metropolis skyline after Toronto, where he was born and lived until he was ten.[1] Since then, Metropolis has become a city inspired by Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Toronto, Vancouver, New York City and Los Angeles.Like many of DC's other fictional cities, the location of Metropolis has varied greatly over the years. Metropolis is usually portrayed as a major city in the Midwest, or conversely, on the East Coast, and even the West Coast. Superman co-creator Joe Shuster was born in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and moved to Cleveland by age ten, where he met co-creator and Ohio native Jerry Siegel. Originally intending to sell the Superman strips to a Cleveland newspaper, they set the stories there as well, and when the strips were re-used for the comic books, they changed the location to Metropolis. (Action Comics #2, however, mistakenly portrays Clark Kent as a reporter for the Cleveland Evening News, although Metropolis's look is based on Toronto, Ontario.)[2] The earliest specific reference to Metropolis located it in New York State: in Superman #2 (Fall 1939), Clark (Superman) Kent sent a telegram to George Taylor, the editor of the Daily Star (the antecedent to the Daily Planet), addressed to "Metropolis, N.Y."[3]
  • robdaze151
    robdaze151 Banned Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    ^^^^^^
    told y'all smallville was in ohio
  • ocelot
    edited May 2011
    Options
    sionb55 wrote: »
    i always thought it was Chicago....

if they were both in NY wouldnt there be plot holes ?

youre right it is Chicago... but its other cities as well...
  • Startraks
    Startraks Members Posts: 9
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Gotham City is in New Jersey....
    Metropolis is in Delaware....
    Metropolis, Gotham, and New York close to each other

the Smallville tv series has Metropolis set in Kansas becuz it helps with the plot of the series

So you're saying that even though Gotham is based on Manhattan it's located in New Jersey?
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Startraks wrote: »
    So you're saying that even though Gotham is based on Manhattan it's located in New Jersey?

check that map... East Coast
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Gotham is modeled after New York City, and to a lesser extent Chicago
    Metropolis is modeled after New York City
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Metropolis is actually funnily enough ORIGINALLY modeled on Cleveland of all places (siegel and shuster grew up there)
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited June 2011
    Options
    always looked at Gotham as a mix of NYC and chi town
    and Metropolis as a mix of NYC, LA and Washington D.C