Is there anyone in the history of Music Better than Bob Marley?

Options
Mumo X
Mumo X Banned Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭
edited July 2011 in R&B & Alternatives
RealTalk, is there any musician in history or present that will ever come close to Bob Marley let alone surpass his impacy, influence and achievements?

Tuff Gong initially held the title of King of Reggae but he is more than that. King of Music should be his title. His spiritual and revolutionary music transcended race,age,regional boundaries,socail classs etc.

Millions of people could be entertained through his music but still grasp the knowledge in them. Bob Marley went on and liberated & galvanised millions of Black people through his music to rebel against the oppressors and neo-colonialism.

All of Bob Marleys albums are Classics and i have never had an average song from him, all classics.

Music is subjective and each one of us has they own opinion but i dont see anyone surpassin Bob, not even Michael Jackson,Marvin Gaye,Lennon,Peter Tosh,Miles Davis,Billie Holliday,Ray Charles,Stevie Wonder,Tupac

Bob is the Godfather of music,genius,revolutionary,visionary,warrior,Icon

ALL CLASSICS
The Wailing Wailers (1965)
Soul Rebels (1970)
Soul Revolution (1971)
The Best of The Wailers (1971)
Catch a Fire (1973)
Burnin' (1973)
Natty Dread (1974)
Rastaman Vibration (1976)
Exodus (1977)
Kaya (1978)
Survival (1979)
Uprising (1980)
Confrontation (1983)

Comments

• Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    D-Jack wrote: »
    WTF???? Mozart, ? .
    Who ?
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    There will never be a definite answer. It's very subjective.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    nope! bob was a revolutionary as well crackers banned his music in africa for fear of an uprising, while peter was turning down money from people if he thought they were nefarious.

Both bob and peter did so much and some scoundrels back home repayed them by dam near beating peter to death(the cops) and shooting bob (some ? ass hired killers)

Their music lives on though and bunny representing.
  • RayLY
    RayLY Members Posts: 339
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Too many too count but he's for sure one of the greatest artists ever.
  • lion_heart
    lion_heart Members Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Sizzla lyrically is better than Bob Marley
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    lion_heart wrote: »

lmao ? ? &gtfoh
  • Mumo X
    edited March 2011
    Options
    gns wrote: »
    nope! bob was a revolutionary as well crackers banned his music in africa for fear of an uprising, while peter was turning down money from people if he thought they were nefarious.

Both bob and peter did so much and some scoundrels back home repayed them by dam near beating peter to death(the cops) and shooting bob (some ? ass hired killers)

Their music lives on though and bunny representing.

Bob and Peter will never be touched musically. These two never at one point in they illustrious career compromised they artistry and beliefs for financial gains. What made me admire Bob was that he wuz commercially successful and never diluted his muzik to pander to the masses. His spiritual,rebellious and conscious muzik had the charts on lock and he helped popularize rastafarism culture.

Tosh on the other hand wuz a militant, a warrior who's music through out his career wuz bout the struggle. He championed ? 's legalization,wuz vocal against oppression,police brutality,racism etc....he stood up for what he believed in. I loved the way he twisted his words. system-shitsem, germany-germs many, lawyer- liars etc...

Both are Musical Geniuses that will never be matched.

Bunny is the last one left.....
    RayLY wrote: »
    Too many too count but he's for sure one of the greatest artists ever.

pliz gimme examples? who can really match Bob Marley?

Explain Please?
    lion_heart wrote: »

ignorant ass kid
  • Mumo X
    edited March 2011
    Options

• Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    No . Simple answer
  • not this again!
    not this again! Members Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Mumo X wrote: »
    RealTalk, is there any musician in history or present that will ever come close to Bob Marley let alone surpass his impacy, influence and achievements?

Tuff Gong initially held the title of King of Reggae but he is more than that. King of Music should be his title. His spiritual and revolutionary music transcended race,age,regional boundaries,socail classs etc.

Millions of people could be entertained through his music but still grasp the knowledge in them. Bob Marley went on and liberated & galvanised millions of Black people through his music to rebel against the oppressors and neo-colonialism.

All of Bob Marleys albums are Classics and i have never had an average song from him, all classics.

Music is subjective and each one of us has they own opinion but i dont see anyone surpassin Bob, not even Michael Jackson,Marvin Gaye,Lennon,Peter Tosh,Miles Davis,Billie Holliday,Ray Charles,Stevie Wonder,Tupac

Bob is the Godfather of music,genius,revolutionary,visionary,warrior,Icon

ALL CLASSICS
    The Wailing Wailers (1965)
    Soul Rebels (1970)
    Soul Revolution (1971)
    The Best of The Wailers (1971)
    Catch a Fire (1973)
    Burnin' (1973)
    Natty Dread (1974)
    Rastaman Vibration (1976)
    Exodus (1977)
    Kaya (1978)
    Survival (1979)
    Uprising (1980)
    Confrontation (1983)

Off the bat, several of the people you named HAVE surpassed Bob's influence and accomplishments. Particularly, people like John Lennon and Stevie Wonder. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but if you don't see that, you're just not paying attention.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I'd have to throw Fela Kuti in there my dude
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    A.J. Trillzynski Members Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    some of the disinformation and racist comments in here kinda irk me. in any case it's whatever but while celebrating Bob Marley the ? is hypocritical. quotes like this Bob would not be proud of or support:
    Mumo X wrote: »
    Bob Marley went on and liberated & galvanised millions of Black people through his music to rebel against the oppressors and neo-colonialism.]

just black people huh? Marley had no such agenda exclusive to black people.
    gns wrote: »
    nope! bob was a revolutionary as well crackers banned his music in africa for fear of an uprising...

link? i doubt it was that serious, but in any case Bob was half '? ' himself and wouldn't support such racist language from any side.

first off, Bob never had a pro-black agenda, let alone was he some kind of liberator who exclusively 'galvanized' black people. i don't like that you're trying to distort his message to be some kinda of pro-black thing. Bob himself was half-white. his father was a white Jamaican from England, a captain for the Royal Marines. he married Bob's mother when she was 18 and always supported them financially even though he was always gone on trips due to the nature of his work. his father died when Bob was only 10 years old. not once did Bob ever express any ill-feelings against his father or his white heritage. here's a quote:

"I don't have prejudice against meself. My father was a white and my mother was black. Them call me half-caste or whatever. Me don't dip on nobody's side. Me don't dip on the black man's side nor the white man's side. Me dip on ? 's side, the one who create me and cause me to come from black and white." - Bob Marley

secondly, not that it's right to ever try and limit or narrow who should be celebrating him but Bob's music, lyrics, and message speaks to the 3rd world and indigenous people as a much greater whole not just black people. here's a nice summary from the wikipedia subsection Legacy:
    Internationally, Marley’s message continues to reverberate amongst various indigenous communities. For instance, the Aboriginal people of Australia continue to burn a sacred flame to honor his memory in Sydney’s Victoria Park, while members of the Native American Hopi and Havasupai tribe consider Marley to be the fulfillment of an ancient prophecy.[52] Additionally, for some in Nepal, Marley is considered to be an incarnation of the Hindu ? Vishnu.

and finally i would just like to clarify that all of those classic albums you named were created by a group called Bob Marley and The Wailers in which Bob was the lead singer. huge difference than to try and act like he created this music himself in comparison to true solo artists like Ray Charles or true one man superstar acts like Michael Jackson.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    bob marley is goat
  • BelovedAfeni
    BelovedAfeni Members Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I wouldnt say better but check these out.
    Bill Withers
    James Brown
    Nat King Cole
    Billie Holiday
    Nina Simone
    Paul Simon
    Joe Cocker
    George Michael
    the Isley Brothers
    Curtis Mayfield
    Marvin Gaye
    the Roots
    Arrested Development
    Prince
    they have a extensive catalogue with a few remakes but alot of hits, classics and excellent live performances.
    plus most all of them had some heavy messages in the music or were the best in their class.
  • zoepian
    zoepian Members Posts: 991
    edited March 2011
    Options
    i agree.. no1 ? wit bob.. i like to think of his kids as extensions of him.. well they are.. he knew wat he was doin wen he had all those kids
  • Mumo X
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson>>>>>>>Bob Marley

Bob marley music is wack I dont care about his iconic status that reggae ? is wack and he dont hold a candle to stevie wonder at all as a musician

? , you think bob marley is a buffoon like 50 or overhypd like Rose?

Bob ? on stevie wonder and that dude who bleached himself white,hacked hz nose,inserted a cleft chin and grafted white kids.
  • zoepian
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Comparing bob marley to stevie wonder is a disgrace and Its a fact MJ did more before age 21 musically than bob marley did in his whole life

Living for the city & Human Nature>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Anything in bob marleys catalog. lol @ no woman no cry that ? sucks

Stevie wonder has more conscious music, more versatile,better catalog,better albums,better singer,played multiple instruments and did it with the ultimate handicap of being blind

It aint close stevie wonder is a way better musician and artist than bob marley

if u dont listen to Bob dont judge homie... u talkin bout stevie doin ? as blind.. music is sound homie.. and wen ? are blind their hearin is more accute.... so playin an instrument shouldnt be hard for him..

anyway.. people will have their opnions and wont agree on who is best on anything... MJ before 21 did stop political crime in jamaica... he didnt encourage Africans in Zimbabwe to revolt... Bob did all that while MJ was tryna figure out if he was white or black, girl or boy... split persoanlity ass ? ... great artist but still...
  • zoepian
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ok.. artist is all around.. music is for musicians.. and there i would agree stevie was more talented and a better musician.. like u sed, he played many instruments...

but wit Bob u could feel his energy, his songs made sense and all had meaning to them.. whther it was uplifting, sad or jus romantic...and re read the thread title as well.. who was better than Bob inthe history of music.. so he a part of music, and his music got to African and moved them enough to do sumtin about their situation...if thats not influence than i dunno wat is... and the fact he died in 1981 and his music is still bumping to this day just proves his stance in music history...
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options

This, however IMO Stevie Wonder was better.
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRoikw99oOzHVeeEYfQOnyeW8Lztb-WTe2IFiraPVLtySzvrJuW

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-bk6KhYogxg34iSB0aPS_IpBZjWM4svN_KWQ_stm8es3_E1R0

...now close thread
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Robert Nesta Marley was ahead of his time like so many great artistes long gone (RIP)

Kaya is my favourite album of his. One of the GREATEST albums inspired by the herb...
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Yes Fela Kuti>>>>
  • garv
    edited March 2011
    Options

I prefer Fela a much more profound artist to me, his messages were far more personable to me than Bob Marleys watered down ? later in his career, also musically he is just as gifted. Saying that Marley is good as well.
  • garv
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Off the bat, several of the people you named HAVE surpassed Bob's influence and accomplishments. Particularly, people like John Lennon and Stevie Wonder. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but if you don't see that, you're just not paying attention.

The Beatles influence is vastly overrated, they only have a big influence in the Western World, while Bob Marley is more recognizable worldwide.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options