Is there anyone in the history of Music Better than Bob Marley?

Options

Comments

• Jr523
    Jr523 Members Posts: 829 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Im pretty sure if Bob Marley could dance, this thread wouldnta been made....Mike's the GOAT entertainer, Marley's the GOAT musician

To each its own. IMO , MJ is the best artist of all time.
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Bob Dylan

Ray Charles

Elvis

Hendrix

nothing separates Marley from those guys
  • zoepian
    zoepian Members Posts: 991
    edited April 2011
    Options
    i remember it was either bob dylan or john lennon who remade i shot the sheriff, word for word....

if u check youtube and search the most cover songs, as far as range a variety of culture4s, im sure u will find a more diverse group of covers for Bob Marley then u will wit any other of the artist mentioned... from asians, to africans, and carribbean, (which is a given), and to europe (albarosie, and gentleman) to south america and canada.. which leaves only the states.. and we already kno bob is known in the states...
  • zoepian
    edited April 2011
    Options
    P-Dogg77 wrote: »
    Sean Paul has surpassed his "impacy" long time ago..but you live in Africa so it's only natural that you catch up to ? centuries later. Bob Marley has even passed down his putrid genes to his crackhead sons. Sean Paul is an international superstar while the ? addicts Bob Marley's kids are making songs with that loser Nas.

Get Busy >>>> Bob Marley's existence.

this ? mebntioning sean paul of all ppl to compare to bob... say sizzla or capleton to buju... but u must got a thing for light skin, even then u coulda sed gentleman or albarosie... but sean pauls watered down ass?? he is only the one who represents reggae now in the word is cuz of his light sking.. he is presentable to the "world".. watever that means
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    zoepian wrote: »
    i remember it was either bob dylan or john lennon who remade i shot the sheriff, word for word....

if u check youtube and search the most cover songs, as far as range a variety of culture4s, im sure u will find a more diverse group of covers for Bob Marley then u will wit any other of the artist mentioned... from asians, to africans, and carribbean, (which is a given), and to europe (albarosie, and gentleman) to south america and canada.. which leaves only the states.. and we already kno bob is known in the states...

it was eric clapton did the cover and made it mainstream
  • P-Dogg77
    P-Dogg77 Members Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    ? dont understand..Sean Paul influence real ? his ? be getting played in the club. I've never seen someone play Bob Marley in the club unless the DJ got high as hell or something. Only ones who bump Bob Marley is upper middle class white college students.
    this ? mebntioning sean paul of all ppl to compare to bob... say sizzla or capleton to buju... but u must got a thing for light skin, even then u coulda sed gentleman or albarosie... but sean pauls watered down ass?? he is only the one who represents reggae now in the word is cuz of his light sking.. he is presentable to the "world".. watever that means

How do you know his ass is watered down though ? Im pretty sure it stays dry for most of the time.
  • Mumo X
    Mumo X Banned Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    who the ? cares bout dancing? MJ aint nuthin compared to Tuff Gong, so is Ray Charles,hendrix,Marvin Gaye,Lennon,Miles Davis,Steve Wonder etc.

Imma be real wit yall. Since Bob Marley wuznt born in N.America or Europe is why the biased media aint givin him exposure but stil hz popular in every part of the world. Sometimes they dont wanna acknowledge him cuZ they dont wanna believe a musik deity can exist in the 3rd world.

Elvis musik aint got soul, MJ is the best entertainer but not musician while musical legends like marvin gaye,ray charles,miles davis,steve wonder musik can only be relatable to americans,its confined to one continent but Bobs musik speaks to the masses in the whole universe
  • zoepian
    edited April 2011
    Options
    P-Dogg77 wrote: »
    ? dont understand..Sean Paul influence real ? his ? be getting played in the club. I've never seen someone play Bob Marley in the club unless the DJ got high as hell or something. Only ones who bump Bob Marley is upper middle class white college students.

How do you know his ass is watered down though ? Im pretty sure it stays dry for most of the time.

sean paul influence real ? ??? lol... real ? are soldiers... he on sum dutty wine ? for the females... bob wasnt making music for the clubs....he wanted the world to hear his message..
  • dreadlock rasta
    dreadlock rasta Members Posts: 1,322 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Mumo X wrote: »
    who the ? cares bout dancing? MJ aint nuthin compared to Tuff Gong, so is Ray Charles,hendrix,Marvin Gaye,Lennon,Miles Davis,Steve Wonder etc.

Imma be real wit yall. Since Bob Marley wuznt born in N.America or Europe is why the biased media aint givin him exposure but stil hz popular in every part of the world. Sometimes they dont wanna acknowledge him cuZ they dont wanna believe a musik deity can exist in the 3rd world.

Elvis musik aint got soul, MJ is the best entertainer but not musician while musical legends like marvin gaye,ray charles,miles davis,steve wonder musik can only be relatable to americans,its confined to one continent but Bobs musik speaks to the masses in the whole universe

To sum it all up.....
    bob-marley-music_77819371_thumb.jpg?1293822300
  • zoepian
    edited April 2011
    Options
    smh.. sean paul aint even that much respected in Jamaica.. the home of reggae music...? dont ask questions no more.. they just know... smh
  • Mumo X
    edited April 2011
    Options
    To sum it all up.....
    bob-marley-music_77819371_thumb.jpg?1293822300

yeah rastaman. Bob transformed slave musik to a world phenom. Aint no genre touchn Reggae
  • Mumo X
    edited April 2011
    Options
    smh.. sean paul aint even that much respected in Jamaica.. the home of reggae music...? dont ask questions no more.. they just know... smh

Sean Paul is a gimmick, a sell out who americanised his music smh! He the lil b of reggae.
  • Ishi
    Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options

so musically speakin, whos in Marleys level? Its sacrilegous to compare him with anyone

Jimmi Hendrix >>

My opinion
  • Mumo X
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Ishi wrote: »
    Jimmi Hendrix >>

My opinion

Holla @ me when Hendrix can craft this song
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Hendrix was dope on the guitar but he didn't write a lot of his own lyrics. I think the only names that could stand up to Marley's total legacy - songwriting, musicianship, & impact - would be Fela Kuti, James Brown, & maybe Ray Charles. These guys had impact on music all over the world. Tosh has been mentioned but i don't think he has enough material.
  • Ishi
    edited April 2011
    Options
  • wizv.2
    wizv.2 Members Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Holla @ me when Hendrix can craft this song

....and this.
    Redemption Song and NWNC are still to this day two of the greatest songs I've ever heard.
  • kacee139
    kacee139 Members Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Ima take Marvin Gaye on this one
  • dreadlock rasta
    dreadlock rasta Members Posts: 1,322 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    kacee139 wrote: »
    Ima take Marvin Gaye on this one

imager.php?id=21035&t=o..........
  • Mumo X
    edited April 2011
    Options
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    Hendrix was dope on the guitar but he didn't write a lot of his own lyrics. I think the only names that could stand up to Marley's total legacy - songwriting, musicianship, & impact - would be Fela Kuti, James Brown, & maybe Ray Charles. These guys had impact on music all over the world. Tosh has been mentioned but i don't think he has enough material.

James Brown, Marvin Gaye, Fela kuti are close but imo Bob is jus on another stratosphere. Tosh is ahead of Bob imo, he taught bob how to play the guitar and other instruments. His solo catalogue is full of classics plus his work wit Tuff when they wuz on wailers.
    wizv.2 wrote: »
    ....and this.
    Redemption Song and NWNC are still to this day two of the greatest songs I've ever heard.

cosign. These two songs get me in a zone.
  • Ishi
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Just listened to redemption song nice drop great track maybe ill listen to more of bobs music was never really interested in reggae even though it was all my dad listened to besides Nigerian music.
  • #1 pick
    #1 pick Members Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Bob is one of the greatest without question. I like Michael Jackson but Marley is a great artist.
  • Mumo X
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Ishi wrote: »
    Just listened to redemption song nice drop great track maybe ill listen to more of bobs music was never really interested in reggae even though it was all my dad listened to besides Nigerian music.

Im sure if you get into Bob's music it wil hav a lasting impact on yo life especially since u Nigerian.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    OK. I see bias on both sides, so I'll try to be logical here:

First and foremost, no one can deny that Bob was the father of pretty much all Reggae. I'm sure it existed before him, but he brought that ? out to the world. Not only was the music very exotic and introduced generations of people to the Island culture, but Bob had some ultra-powerful messages in those songs people lived on for decades and will pass on. His influence on music is definately rivaled to very few. I'll give him that.

This ALL being said....

For anyone to say his music is better than one Michael Joseph Jackson is flat-out lying. Mike was a total artist in every sense of the word: understanding of musical interpretation, THE master showman, and his music spoke to everyone: no race, color, gender separated. And Mike was doing that ? since the 50s, my dude....the 50s.

You can easily say this about the Beatles, Stevie, even Elvis. I wouldn't put Elvis over Bob, but the Beatles, Stevie, and definately Mike.

Honestly, you could make a case for either W.A. Mozart or L. V. Beethoven. But most of y'all know very little about Symphonic music to refute why I'll tell you they'd be better than Bob too.
  • wizv.2
    wizv.2 Members Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    OK. I see bias on both sides, so I'll try to be logical here:

First and foremost, no one can deny that Bob was the father of pretty much all Reggae. I'm sure it existed before him, but he brought that ? out to the world. Not only was the music very exotic and introduced generations of people to the Island culture, but Bob had some ultra-powerful messages in those songs people lived on for decades and will pass on. His influence on music is definately rivaled to very few. I'll give him that.

This ALL being said....

For anyone to say his music is better than one Michael Joseph Jackson is flat-out lying. Mike was a total artist in every sense of the word: understanding of musical interpretation, THE master showman, and his music spoke to everyone: no race, color, gender separated. And Mike was doing that ? since the 50s, my dude....the 50s.

MJ was doing what since the 50s exactly? He was born late '58.