Options

Comments

• MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Maalik wrote: »
    Nope....

There was a question that was brought up by Harrison Moore in his article titled "NBA Finals 2010: Would a Second Title Catapult Pau Gasol Into the Hall of Fame?"

The answer at this point is a clear and definitive no! Even with the two rings, Gasol's name doesn't belong with the greatest power forwards of all-time. His numbers aren't even close.

So far in his career, Gasol has averaged 18.8 points, 9 rebounds, 3.2 assists, .5 steals, 1.7 blocks, on 52.1 percent shooting, and 74.3 percent from the free throw line.

Those numbers are very good career wise. The Hall of Fame, though, isn't for the very good; it's for the best of the best. Does Gasol even come close to being mentioned among the best power forwards ever or even among the best players ever in NBA history?

The issue though is that Gasol has only once in his career been considered amongst the best power forwards in the NBA until his ninth season. It took him nine seasons to average a double double, and only twice in his career has Gasol ever averaged over 20 points per game.
    He's also only won the Rookie of the Year Award. He's only been in the top 10 in rebounding once.

In the playoffs his numbers are similar to this regular season. He averages 18.5 points, 9.7 rebounds, and 3.2 assists.

Another issue that haunts Gasol is that he's always been seen as soft. When teams play Gasol physically, he has a hard time with it. He's also going to be remembered for allowing Leon Powe to abuse him for 21 points in just over 14.5 minutes.

It also happened again where Gasol didn't really bother showing up in the Finals for a game, this time being outplayed by Glen "Big Baby" Davis.

Yes, Gasol played extremely well against the Orlando Magic when Gasol earned his first championship ring. Dwight Howard isn't necessarily known for being a dominating post presence either.

Also, in Moore's article he talks about Dennis Rodman not being in the Hall of Fame. This also hinders his argument because is Gasol even anywhere near the defensive player that Rodman was? What about rebounding wise?

So, if Rodman isn't in then how can Gasol be in? The only aspect of Gasol's game that is better than Rodman's is offense. Rodman, though, never really cared to score points or back a defender down; he just went out and rebounded the ball, played defense, and tried to get under his opponent's skin.

If Gasol is looking for a Hall of Fame career, he will need to score over 20,000 points and grab over 10,000 rebounds. Right now Gasol is at 12,192 points and 5,821 rebounds.

As Gasol hits thirty year of age, it will be interesting if he can continue to put up numbers or if he gradually slows down, because it seems at the age of thirty, power forwards tend to start slowing down.

Otis Thorpe was a very good power forward throughout his career. He won a ring with the Houston Rockets as well, playing alongside Hakeem Olajuwon.

For his career, he averaged 14 points and 8.2 rebounds. He scored 17,600 points and grabbed 10,370 rebounds. He had some very good seasons before he hit thirty years of age. Thorpe's not in the Hall of Fame.

Buck Williams was another very good power forward and another good example of a power forward that slowed down after the age of 30. His career numbers are 12.8 points and 10 rebounds. Williams is not in the Hall of Fame.

As for the argument about the scoring numbers of both Thorpe and Williams, Williams played until he was 37 and Thorpe until he was 38. Both players played a good three to four years past when they were actually effective.

For Thorpe, he averaged eight or more rebounds ten times and half of those were over 10 rebounds per game. With Williams, he averaged eight or more rebounds 14 times, including in those 14 seasons over 10 eight times. Gasol on the other hand has only averaged more than 10 once in his career.

Chris Webber has a better chance of being a Hall of Famer than Gasol, even though Webber does not have a ring. Career-wise, Webber averaged 20.7 points, 9.8 rebounds, and 4.2 assists.

Webber averaged over eight rebounds 12 times including half of those years averaging over 10 rebounds. Five times Webber was among the top 10 in rebounds per game, including leading the league once with an average of 13 per game. Gasol has never been among the league leaders in rebounds per game.

There are other players who also can put up big numbers, like Amare Stoudemire who's only 27. He's had some injury issues for his career but he also isn't Hall of Fame worthy because, for a player who has so much athleticism, he doesn't rebound enough and he's right at 8.9 rebounds per game for his career. Plus, he scores more than Gasol.

Dirk Nowitzki getting in the Hall of Fame is beyond me. Although, according to Basketball-Reference.com he has a 91.2, I can see why he would be in. Even though he doesn't rebound enough for a power forward at 8.5 per game. He's an exceptional scorer.

Even though the Dallas Mavericks have only been to the Finals once with Nowitzki, he improves his play whereas Gasol's numbers pretty much stay nearly identical to his regular season stats. In the playoffs, Nowitzki averages 25.6 points, 10.9 rebounds, and 2.6 assists.

Gasol, if he does win another ring, greatly helps his case for the Hall of Fame. It doesn't make him anywhere near a lock by any stretch of the imagination though; he still has a ways to go to get to 20,000 points and 10,000 rebounds.

again gasol is the missing piece.

we don't know if gasol will make the HOF, he hasn't retired.
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    lock this ? . just because its the cheap seats doesn't mean you have the rice of passage to post about kobe and jordan every week.
  • Maalik
    Maalik Members Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Kids.....this thread is proof that Numbers can lie like ? .....when you have an agenda. Tommy's the Fox News of NBA Basketball. Instead of posting the Finals Stats where Kobe WASN'T sharing shots with the Best Center to ever play in Modern Basketball, Tommy does like an ? . That's the equivalent of grading Lebron James during his time with Dwayne Wade.

This a more accurate assessment of Kobe Bryant in the Playoffs. When he was by himself.

2006 LAL 27.9 6.3 5.1 1.1 0.4 10.3 20.7 2.0 5.0
    2007 LAL 32.8 5.2 4.4 1.0 0.4 12.0 26.0 2.0 5.6
    2008 LAL 30.1 5.7 5.6 1.7 0.4 10.6 22.0 1.5 5.0
    2009 LAL 30.2 5.3 5.5 1.7 0.9 10.5 23.0 1.6 4.6
    2010 LAL 29.2 6.0 5.5 1.3 0.7 10.2 22.2 2.1 5.7

Wanna repost this ? incase ? start fabricating or manipulating Kobe's numbers again....
  • CMac
    CMac Members Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Mike is the GOAT, Kobe winning another ring won't change nothing, MJs stats over the years were better then Kobe. I'm tired of hearing people comparing the two. Even Kobe was like he doesn't want to be compared to Mike.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    LMAO @ the west not being tough. Bilfiger thinks Cleveland would have made it to the Finals in the west in 07. I doubt they'd make it out the first round.
  • ReppinTime
    ReppinTime Members Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    1 Hall Of Famers beat THREE Hall Of Famers in the finals

Show me Jordan doing that. Show me anyone ever doing that besides Kobe.
  • MR.CJ
    edited April 2011
    Options
    CMac wrote: »
    Mike is the GOAT, Kobe winning another ring won't change nothing, MJs stats over the years were better then Kobe. I'm tired of hearing people comparing the two. Even Kobe was like he doesn't want to be compared to Mike.

word......
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
  • ReppinTime
    edited April 2011
    Options
    So basically you just said Jordan & The Bulls played in a Weak Ass conference in the 90s then?

lol exactly, foh with that expansion league ? . Trying to say it was tougher than a conference where for years 50 wins didn't even guarantee you a playoff spot.
  • buttuh_b
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Word? Iiiight funny you the only person who says this

Laughing on the phone = shook? Or are you desperately graspin for straws

And what factual evidence do you have that I went out to LA for one reason???

Seems like you're the one graspin for straws because Maalik, Reppin, and others droppin ? bombs on you left and right so you gotta divert the attention.
  • buttuh_b
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Bilfiger, you think the early 2000's Kings wouldn't have made a Finals appearance had they been in the east???? Answer that.
  • Maalik
    edited April 2011
    Options
    CMac wrote: »

I agreed to that....its the disrespect from ? like Kobe aint the closest one. Like he aint Top 5. Like he aint the Second best. And as I researched before, if you account for the years Kobe was on the bench like a scrub....his numbers look more comparable to Mikes.

And Yes....when you list Kobe's stats after his first year starting a full 82 game season...it's alot ? higher. Of course you gonna have lower averages, when you on the bench for 2 years, playing 10 minutes & getting 8 points a game. Its common sense.

Kobe from 1998-99 & forward (first year starting) - 27 ppg regular season.....27.6 ppg in playoffs
    Kobe from 1999-00 & forward (82 games by then) - 27.75 ppg regular season....28.4 ppg in playoffs
    Kobe from 2004-05 & forward (after Shaq left) - 29 ppg regular season.....30 ppg in playoffs

Jordan's regular season career average: 30.1 ppg
    Jordan's Chicago Bulls regular season career average: 31.5 ppg
    Jordan's playoff career average: 33.4 ppg

1996–97 L.A. Lakers 71 6 15.5 .417 .375 .819 1.9 1.3 .7 .3 7.6
    1997–98 L.A. Lakers 79 1 26.0 .428 .341 .794 3.1 2.5 .9 .5 15.4
    1998–99 L.A. Lakers 50 50 37.9 .465 .267 .839 5.3 3.8 1.4 1.0 19.9
    1999–00 L.A. Lakers 66 62 38.2 .468 .319 .821 6.3 4.9 1.6 .9 22.5
    2000–01 L.A. Lakers 68 68 40.9 .464 .305 .853 5.9 5.0 1.7 .6 28.5
    2001–02 L.A. Lakers 80 80 38.3 .469 .250 .829 5.5 5.5 1.5 .4 25.2
    2002–03 L.A. Lakers 82 82 41.5 .451 .383 .843 6.9 5.9 2.2 .8 30.0
    2003–04 L.A. Lakers 65 64 37.6 .438 .327 .852 5.5 5.1 1.7 .4 24.0
    2004–05 L.A. Lakers 66 66 40.7 .433 .339 .816 5.9 6.0 1.3 .8 27.6
    2005–06 L.A. Lakers 80 80 41.0 .450 .347 .850 5.3 4.5 1.8 .4 35.4
    2006–07 L.A. Lakers 77 77 40.8 .463 .344 .868 5.7 5.4 1.4 .5 31.6
    2007–08 L.A. Lakers 82 82 38.9 .459 .361 .840 6.3 5.4 1.8 .5 28.3
    2008–09 L.A. Lakers 82 82 36.1 .467 .351 .856 5.2 4.9 1.5 .4 26.8
    2009–10 L.A. Lakers 73 73 38.8 .456 .329 .811 5.4 5.0 1.6 .3 27.0
    2010- 11 L.A. Lakers 71 71 33.9 .454 .326 .831 5.2 4.8 1.2 .1 25.2

Jordan still got better numbers......But....it aint as far as these ? would like you to believe.....ESPECIALLY AFTER SHAQ LEFT & Kobe became the #1 Option.
  • MR.CJ
    edited April 2011
    Options
    if kobe gets his 6th ring, he still behind jordan
  • ReppinTime
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Ay reppin was I "shook" when your girlfriend called me? Be a real ? and answer this

smh why you gotta diss cause I call Jordan a cheese eyed ? . control your emotion. Facts is facts. My realness is permanent and unchanging. I didn't pay much attention to that fiasco but I didn't think you were shook at least not after the initial few seconds. You did offer multiple women money for Ike's number tho.
  • hiphopest72
    hiphopest72 Members Posts: 73
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Real quick and simple with this let's see how many jokers can read.
    1 What has Jordan done on the "court" that Kobe has not done already our about to do if he gets #6
    2 Kobe having only one MVP a crime or what he deserves in your eyes I think we can all agree each one of us would rather have the finals mvp anyway smh
    3 Kobe being in the League 15 years and going to 8 finals mayby 9 after this year that's over half his career {as a superstar for all you R.Horry fans} one of the greatest accomplishments every in a game were most cats are lucky to just sniff the finals.
    4 Even though bloggers like us go back and fourth for years about the same ? how many times does his own pears and coaches have to say he has been the best in the game for years for you to get it.
    5 Going back to #3 most of you cat's call yourselves basketball fans how can a man who most likely at the end be a top 3 scorer with mayby 6 rings or more with 9 to 10 finals apperances not be in the conversation of if not the best then atleast top 3 to ever do it. What more would he have to do??

Alot of you let your hatred for a man who by the way you don't even know blind you from what your heart knows is the truth...

Disclamer: At no time did i say he is better than Jordan
  • Maalik
    edited April 2011
    Options
    If the west is so tough then why have the same 2 teams make it to the finals for the last 12 years?

Only dallas in 06 has made it out the west since 99

Dont sound That tough if the same 2 teams make it for a decade straight

Yet the east had 8 different teams make it to the finals in that same span

To much espn watching for you groupies
    So basically you just said Jordan & The Bulls played in a Weak Ass conference in the 90s then?
    ReppinTime wrote: »
    lol exactly, foh with that expansion league ? . Trying to say it was tougher than a conference where for years 50 wins didn't even guarantee you a playoff spot.

That ? got Cystic Fibrosis. He ? . How one sentence...you say Jordan the GOAT for winning 6 times then.......in the next say The Lakers played in a weak conference because they always went to the Finals. He ? on his idol & didn't even know it.
  • MR.CJ
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I agreed to that....its the disrespect from ? like Kobe aint the closest one. Like he aint Top 5. Like he aint the Second best. And as I researched before, if you account for the years Kobe was on the bench like a scrub....his numbers look more comparable to Mikes.

bruh ? have already said that kobe will go down as the greatest laker and the 2nd best of all time.
  • buttuh_b
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Do you want me to post YOUR explanation you made in donkey or the screenshot johnny green posted of your pm or email you sent?

Or just admit the ? and ?

Go head and post it cuz as lame as it looks that's still not factual evidence. Really the evidence supports my argument being that I sent that PM a full 2 weeks before I went out there.

Did I catch an epic L?? Yes. Did I "fly to LA to meet an IC chick"? No.

Is Kobe a better basketball player than Michael Jordan? Yes.

Is my life better than yours? Yes.
  • b*braze
    b*braze Members Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Ay reppin was I "shook" when your girlfriend called me? Be a real ? and answer this

ShitjustGotreal.gif
  • ReppinTime
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Those same THREE hall of famers already won and humiliated kobe by overcoming a 24 point lead at home(biggest blown lead in finals history) in 08 and beating the ? out of kobe s team by 39 points

It took a game 7 where kobe goes 6-24 and was hurting the lakers the whole game it took ron artest and sasha vuiciac to seal the deal

I asked a simple question. So to summarize, in other words you're saying no, Jordan has never beaten 3 Hall Of Famers in the finals. Nor has he been the only Hall Of Famer on his team and won a title, let alone 2 titles.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    LOL @ Mike shooting .132, .167, .172, .182 & .189 behind the arc. ? ......132!!!

LOL @ Kobe being the youngest NBA Player to get 6 rings this June

LOL @ the GOAT retiring & his team losing two less games the next year. Pau Gasol wouldn't make it out the First round.

LOL @ Jordan being 0-6 without Scottie Pippen

LOL @ the GOAT taking 4 quarters & 2 overtimes to score 69 points while his :rolleyes: copy :rolleyes: did that ? in 3 quarters & ate a Honeybun for the rest of the game.

LOL @ Mike being bullied by Isiah Thomas & Joe Dumars for 3 years.

LOL @ the GOAT never dropping 81. ? team or not.

LOL @ Mike being the Lebron James of the 80s. By the time Mike made it to the Finals, all his "true" peers had AIDS & Osteoporosis. Like Bron..Kobe gonna be 36 before they meet up.

LOL @ age being a difference. NBA career goes by minutes logged & years played, not age. Otherwise T-Mac would still be playing.

LOL @ Jordan getting shut down by Gary Payton.

LOL @ Jordan playing Baseball.

LOL @ Kobe scoring 55 on Jordan

LOL @ Iverson crossing Jordan

LOL @ Kobe going straight to the league & Jordan being cut from his HS team

LMAO!!!!!!!
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    And what factual evidence do you have that I went out to LA for one reason???

Seems like you're the one graspin for straws because Maalik, Reppin, and others droppin ? bombs on you left and right so you gotta divert the attention.

Cosign.
  • stophating
    stophating Members Posts: 10
    edited April 2011
    Options
    He will have six rings big ? deal
  • Clova
    Clova Banned Users Posts: 34
    edited April 2011
    Options
  • Clova
    Clova Banned Users Posts: 34
    edited April 2011
    Options
    One mo thang..kobe will neva be better then jordan,jordan woulda won 8 in a roll,but he left so other ? could win
  • b*braze
    b*braze Members Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Clova wrote: »
    One mo thang..kobe will neva be better then jordan, jordan woulda won 8 in a roll,but he left so other ? could win
    2hplqhc.gif