So what are the biggest problems concerning the "BLACK COMMUNITY?"

Options
Hyde Parke
Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
edited April 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
this is a spin-off to Ester's numerous ongoing threads that do nothing but throw subliminals out there regarding black people. So what say you? Are we holding ourselves back? Are we our own problem? Are we a people of excuses? Are we lazy? Are we ignorant? Are we just drug dealing thugs, hoodlums condemned to a hell on earth? WHAT IS THE PROBLEM? Where is the unity, if there is such a thing? whats really going on?

Comments

• Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Our problem is, we look at white peoples version of success as the only way to be successful. We're too flashy and materialistic and unable to meet our materialistic desires based on a lack of wealth. Being materialistic and broke does not ever turn out very good.

Oh and we're Not only lost, but when we attempt to find ourselves, we're mocked and ridiculed and belittled by the world, so we end up stepping back down into the gutter. Basically, we give a ? about what the enemy thinks too much.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Yes we are all of that. Not by choice or nature, but by circumstance.

A lack of knowledge of self is our problem. We don't know the true essence of our selves. Also we don't know who and what the internal and external enemies are, frankly.

Once we get a grip on those two facets, it is a wrap.
  • Hyde Parke
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Chike wrote: »
    Our problem is, we look at white peoples version of success as the only way to be successful. We're too flashy and materialistic and unable to meet our materialistic desires based on a lack of wealth. Being materialistic and broke does not ever turn out very good.

Oh and we're Not only lost, but when we attempt to find ourselves, we're mocked and ridiculed and belittled by the world, so we end up stepping back down into the gutter. Basically, we give a ? about what the enemy thinks too much.

co signs this whole thread. i was in gns the other day and i saw a reply something like "white folks be looking at us like dumb ? " or something like that. I cant understand why
    the "white opinion" means so much to some.
  • Hyde Parke
    edited March 2011
    Options
    And Step wrote: »

A lack of knowledge of self is our problem. We don't know the true essence of our selves. Also we don't know who and what the internal and external enemies are, frankly.

you know, this is a sad reality.

***edit** welcome back, hope all is well with you & the fam.
  • Chike
    edited March 2011
    Options

Yep, 110% circumstantial.
  • Hyde Parke
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    Not We!!!!!!!!
    We all don't move in unison! WE don't breath for each other.

hmm, your threads seem to suggest otherwise.
  • And Step
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Hyde Parke wrote: »
    Not We!!!!!!!!
    We all don't move in unison! WE don't breath for each other.

hmm, your threads seem to suggest otherwise.

We don't have to move in unison, just harmony. We are all interdependent and connected. The eyes, ears, lungs, heart, foot, etc all have different functions but they depend on one another and they help the functioning of the body.

Show me one thing you have accomplished by yourself. I will wait.............
  • IceManKam
    IceManKam Members Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I feel like we only find entertainment ventures as being our only source of work. Now don't get me wrong, there are plenty of blacks in science/math/politics, but i feel like most of us aspire to be proffesional sport players anr/or singers/rappers than finding cures and solving problems that arrive in society today
  • And Step
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I accomplished things with the assistance of those in harmony with me accomplishing things. Not those that into harming me.

OK, Jesse Jackson with the word play.

So you do admit that there is a "We" that predominates over the "I".
  • And Step
    edited March 2011
    Options
    to satify the "I" i'll work with the "WE". But the "WE" is not just one certain group of "WE's". Only the ones that support the "I".

Doesn't matter the motive, it is still WE at the root.

Matter of fact, "I" wouldn't exist without the "WE".

Word to ejacoconception.
  • robdaze151
    robdaze151 Banned Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options

+151
    I have to add the lack of education or understanding of it as a necessity. I'm not just referring scholastic but all education. Self education about or history and society in general has been placed on the backburner of our culture and it is a major hinderance. We don't know where we've been nor do we fully understand where we currently are. We allow media to fornicate with our ignorance and foolish pride to create the bastard generation which we are apart of. We will continue to do the same and our kids will face the exact same issues we do.
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options

Short and sweet....swish
  • Hyde Parke
    edited March 2011
    Options
    interesting comment i saw on another forum.

The biggest problem facing African Americans is the same as when the first boatload disembarked - we are viewed as commodities. This is evidenced by the fact that 1 in 9 young black men is incarcerated right now. Among black women under 40, the rate of incarceration is 1 in 100. According to the Department of Justice, the federal government spent $36,248,000,000 on criminal justice in 2006, while local governments spent $109,205,351,000. That was more than $145 billion for 2006, and every year it increases. Hundreds of millions more are generated through prison work projects. Good and services manufactured or provided by inmates are marketed in interstate trade, and private prison stock is traded on Wall Street. One in every 30 people in America is either in prison or living under the threat of prison as parolees and probationers. For African Americans, that rate is much higher. Change is needed not only by African Americans, such as an increased emphasis on education and resolve to end illegal drug usage, but there is a need to end slavery in America, which never happened. It only shifted from the agricultural fields to the prison yards. Two thirds of inmates were arrested for non-violent crimes, such as possession of small amounts of illegal drugs. More than half of those incarcerated are mentally ill.

Imprisonment not only negatively impacts inmates while incarcerated, but the stain on one's record affects earnings years after release. Those who are criminalized for drugs are disqualified from receipt of some student loans and grants as well as employment opportunities. Also, not enough is done to rehabilitate inmates and equip them with marketable skills to avoid recidivism.

In the 1970's, the mental institutions were downsized and closed, and former inpatients became the America's homeless and eventually her prisoners. Over the decades, mentally ill people who would have been treated in hospitals and community care programs had there been no reduction in services, joined the prison rolls. Today, 60% of the approximate 25,0000 people in solitary confinement have mental illness, and 80% of those in "the hole" are black.

The solution is to end private prisons and thereby remove the financial inducement to withhold money from job and recreational programs for youths, and limit mental health care for sick citizens. Mental hospitalization for acute patients and community care for non-violent mentally ill offenders costs no more than treating them while imprisoned. Prison profiteering is behind the decision to criminalize mental illness and criminalize black youth.

Like every business, prison profiteers are interested in the future growth and continued success of their industry. To ensure a renewable supply of fresh prison "stock," black youths are set up of prison numerous ways, such as popularizing violent music and ensuring that role models do not meet required standards regarding modes of dress and behavior. Those behind the setup know that youths who emulate their idols' appearance and on-stage gangster persona will not be competitive for college entrance and career opportunities. The youths' resulting lower educational level and reduced employability therefore are useful to channel them into prison at some point. It is a prison profiteering gameplan.
  • Hyde Parke
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ^^^^^^why do we act like people are going to jail for no reason? Why do we act like people are not going to jail for doing ? that they know in advance they will go to jail for the shut they are doing? Why do we act like there is not some weird fascination with going to prison and/or serving time within our community?

why are black men 10-12% of the American population, and 50-70% of the prison population?
  • MeTaL
    MeTaL Members Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    why are black men 10-12% of the American population, and 50-70% of the prison population?

Though the black community is plagued with many problems and situations. Our lack of leadership and identity is in my humble opinion, the greatest set back to the black community. We live in a day and age of integration, of multi-cultural existence, but this does not mean that we should not understand a history long plagued by turmoil and hurt. But I think often times we do not acknowledge the history of our success and wonder we have achieved as well. Though we are completely separate beings from today's geographic , we can honor our history and traditions at the same time. WE can decide to rebuild and reestablish a new complex history, as complex as the rest. I see this is a foreboding opportunity.

@hyde Another problem, facing us is the same as when the first boatload disembarked, we are viewed as commodities. This is evidenced by the fact that 1 in 9 young black men is incarcerated right now. Among black women under 40, the rate of incarceration is 1 in 100. According to the Department of Justice, the federal government spent $36,248,000,000 on criminal justice in 2006, while local governments spent$109,205,351,000. That was more than $145 billion for 2006, and every year it increases. For us that rate is much higher. Change is needed not only by us, such as an increased emphasis on education and resolve to end illegal drug usage, but however slavery never ended in America, never ended PERIOD. It only shifted from the agricultural fields TO the prison yards.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    education, racism, health, faith
  • Hyde Parke
    edited March 2011
    Options
    MeTaL wrote: »
    Though the black community is plagued with many problems and situations. Our lack of leadership and identity is in my humble opinion, the greatest set back to the black community. We live in a day and age of integration, of multi-cultural existence, but this does not mean that we should not understand a history long plagued by turmoil and hurt. But I think often times we do not acknowledge the history of our success and wonder we have achieved as well. Though we are completely separate beings from today's geographic , we can honor our history and traditions at the same time. WE can decide to rebuild and reestablish a new complex history, as complex as the rest. I see this is a foreboding opportunity.

@hyde Another problem, facing us is the same as when the first boatload disembarked, we are viewed as commodities. This is evidenced by the fact that 1 in 9 young black men is incarcerated right now. Among black women under 40, the rate of incarceration is 1 in 100. According to the Department of Justice, the federal government spent $36,248,000,000 on criminal justice in 2006, while local governments spent$109,205,351,000. That was more than $145 billion for 2006, and every year it increases. For us that rate is much higher. Change is needed not only by us, such as an increased emphasis on education and resolve to end illegal drug usage, but however slavery never ended in America, never ended PERIOD. It only shifted from the agricultural fields TO the prison yards.

hey MeTal, hows it going? good 2 see u post.

and yes, that comment posted is so right on, I asked Ester that in hopes of acknowledgement. So much insight there, unfortunately that is another problem, failure to acknowledge, and those who confuse the stark differences of explanation vs excuse. It is no accident of the high percentage/population of black males in the prison "SYSTEM".
  • MeTaL
    MeTaL Members Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    hey MeTal, hows it going? good 2 see u post.

and yes, that comment posted is so right on, I asked Ester that in hopes of acknowledgement. So much insight there, unfortunately that is another problem, failure to acknowledge, and those who confuse the stark differences of explanation vs excuse. It is no accident of the high percentage/population of black males in the prison "SYSTEM".

Exactly. I been alright man, everything is well, I rarely come on here anymore. When I do come on here, it's only the SL and exhale section, that's it. But anyhow Lack of education combined with the status quo of in our community will always equate to uneducated decisions that are usually self destructive or destructive to others. The white ruling power structure is intent on propagating this new form of slavery and they are doing it in front of our eyes and calling it legal. aka THE NEW SYSTEM.

So again with the lack of education, poor socio-economic conditions, and lack of family values, we basically imprison ourselves. Falling for their trap every time, and the majority of us, don't take responsibility for our actions, attitudes and behavior. Many of us are not self aware and/or know's what's going around us, especially in our communities. We make to many damn excuses instead of finding the need(problem) and satisfaction(solution). When are we going to move beyond the concept of individualism and embrace the concept of Unity? When are we going to stop being dependent and become independent? When are we going to become fathers to our children? When are we going to start treating our women with respect? It's these questions and more that we need to come together as a people and analyze the situation.

As well, we need to stop perpetuating the wide spread fallacies stating that we're lazy, incompetent, inferior, criminals, and always looking for handouts. We need to open not just our eyes but our MINDS, and look at the bigger picture, yes we've been cast into a system of poverty and self-destruction but we don't have to stay there we can rise above. We need to move away from the mindset of instant gratification, stop looking for quick fixes and invest in our children and each other. I believe the key to the mystery lies within us and until we find it we're going to continue the downward spiral on the slippery slope.
  • John Prewett
    John Prewett Members Posts: 755
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Our problem is, we look at white peoples version of success

as the only way to be successful. ...............

There is no "white people's version of success".

Some white people have this version and some whites have that version.

All of humanity is divided about what it means to be successful.

BIGGEST problem in black community is same as biggest problem in all humanity

.... which is:

"The heart is more deceitful than all else And is desperately sick;

Who can understand it?
    Jeremiah 17:9
  • Chike
    edited March 2011
    Options
    robdaze151 wrote: »
    +151
    I have to add the lack of education or understanding of it as a necessity. I'm not just referring scholastic but all education. Self education about or history and society in general has been placed on the backburner of our culture and it is a major hinderance. We don't know where we've been nor do we fully understand where we currently are. We allow media to fornicate with our ignorance and foolish pride to create the bastard generation which we are apart of. We will continue to do the same and our kids will face the exact same issues we do.

Oh yea, definitely. I was only stating one of many problems. I think our biggest problem is that we are being too distracted. This is done to us purposely to prevent us to free our minds and truly educate ourselves.

Some white people have this version and some whites have that version.

.... which is:

Who can understand it?

I'm talking about white supremacy/Capitalism. smh. You know... where a person can make millions off the suffering and brutalization of animals just so peopel can wear flashy fur coats, or supporting third world slavery in gold/diamond mines so people can get bling. Yes... those people are considered successful and are glorified for it because it's "legal".
  • supaman4321
    supaman4321 Members Posts: 946
    edited March 2011
    Options
    The women, too many ignorant women that don't know anything, don't want to know anything and pass this on from generation to generation of OTHER young women and men. The building of a nation starts first with the mother, our mothers are our first and most loved and respected teachers and guides if the initial upbringing is skewed you can't expect younger people to want anything different when they've been taught that this is all there is for them and that's perfectly fine.

stronger women stronger community stronger people, it all starts with the women
  • zoepian
    zoepian Members Posts: 991
    edited March 2011
    Options
    self destructive mentality...
  • And Step
    edited March 2011
    Options

.... which is:

Who can understand it?

Nah, the Biggest problem is we do not know ourselves. Once we know who we are, the issues of the heart will clear up. Heart being the desires and motive that shape our orientation of thinking and our actions.

A person that lacks the knowledge of himself will fall victim to arrogance, envy, ? , greed, lying, unjustified murder, etc.

Get right to get right.....................................
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Is this a trick question????
  • JadaRoss
    JadaRoss Members Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Drugs,Violence,Self Hate,Prostitution,Greed,False Prophets,Baby Mama Drama,Deadbeat dads,Child Molestation,Homosexuality,Thugs,Playas

should i go on??