So what are the biggest problems concerning the "BLACK COMMUNITY?"

2»

Comments

• Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    I would have to say that illegitimacy would have to be one of the biggest internal problems when it comes to the black community. Mainly because a lot of other problems we have as a race could be solved by have a functional family unit when the children are growing up.
  • one_manshow
    one_manshow Members Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Education
    Parenting
    Broken families
    Drugs
    Lack of motivation/determination
    Inequity and Inequalities in policy
    Greed
    Consumer culture
    Ego/Pride
  • John Prewett
    John Prewett Members Posts: 755
    edited March 2011
    Criminals [wealthy & poor,.. wht & blk ... caught & walking free] hurt the whole society/world.

All criminals convince themself they have a "right to do wrong."

Sooner or later they learn they don't.

"all have sinned" ... some repent and "change their ways" .... some don't.
  • aijalon
    aijalon Members Posts: 919
    edited March 2011
    A mental state which can at times appear to be impervious to any thought which is foreign to that environment.
    The acceptance of a temporary condition as a heritage.
    An infatuation with self destructive behavior
  • Hyde Parke
    Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    MeTaL wrote: »
    Exactly. I been alright man, everything is well, I rarely come on here anymore. When I do come on here, it's only the SL and exhale section, that's it. But anyhow Lack of education combined with the status quo of in our community will always equate to uneducated decisions that are usually self destructive or destructive to others. The white ruling power structure is intent on propagating this new form of slavery and they are doing it in front of our eyes and calling it legal. aka THE NEW SYSTEM.

So again with the lack of education, poor socio-economic conditions, and lack of family values, we basically imprison ourselves. Falling for their trap every time, and the majority of us, don't take responsibility for our actions, attitudes and behavior. Many of us are not self aware and/or know's what's going around us, especially in our communities. We make to many damn excuses instead of finding the need(problem) and satisfaction(solution). When are we going to move beyond the concept of individualism and embrace the concept of Unity? When are we going to stop being dependent and become independent? When are we going to become fathers to our children? When are we going to start treating our women with respect? It's these questions and more that we need to come together as a people and analyze the situation.

As well, we need to stop perpetuating the wide spread fallacies stating that we're lazy, incompetent, inferior, criminals, and always looking for handouts. We need to open not just our eyes but our MINDS, and look at the bigger picture, yes we've been cast into a system of poverty and self-destruction but we don't have to stay there we can rise above. We need to move away from the mindset of instant gratification, stop looking for quick fixes and invest in our children and each other. I believe the key to the mystery lies within us and until we find it we're going to continue the downward spiral on the slippery slope.

great post. Give me a min to respond, tornado came thru my way and put everything out of order. Things are semi-normal right now, lol. That lack of education is so paramount, especially how that mindset came to be as education of the ? was a serious crime that carried severe punishment. Im going to try and expound on this when i get a good moment of clarity. that post is right on though.
  • MeTaL
    MeTaL Members Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Hyde Parke wrote: »
    great post. Give me a min to respond, tornado came thru my way and put everything out of order. Things are semi-normal right now, lol. That lack of education is so paramount, especially how that mindset came to be as education of the ? was a serious crime that carried severe punishment. Im going to try and expound on this when i get a good moment of clarity. that post is right on though.

I feel you bro, as I have grown up having only had a mother around, and that I have not got a criminal record, I'm quite stable. I don't believe that this can be the only determining factor of a poor outcome in life. Lack of a structured family. It's what it all boils down to as well.

If it is one of the main causes of crime/deviance, as it obviously does have some effect on the upbringing of a child, then how do one propose fixing it? I think relationships and having children in a society that doesn't really care about the world we live in or where there is a poor quality of education, is the main cause of families ending up like this. There isn't nearly enough good quality education into sex and relationships, and the majority of information about these things come from different forms of media (television, music etc.).

On the other hand, cops cruise black neighborhoods looking for drug buys and sells all the time. Yet when they see a white person in a black neighborhood known for it's drug activity, they light up the person and tell them to get out of the neighborhood.Why? Why not wait for them to make their purchase or their sell and arrest them? Why not go to the suburb and ? down on those coming to the drug areas? There are tons of suburbanites who come to the urban drug neighborhoods to make their purchase or sells, why aren't they being targeted? Reason being is they protect their own.

There is a lot of resentment in black communities especially towards cops, some justified, some not. There are also a lot of kids in black neighborhoods who feel trapped by the negative activity going on. You either join it or are taken out by it. I was ridiculed a lot growing up because I didn't participate in the drugs (doing or selling), no gang affiliation, no underage drinking. I was strong enough not to let those things get to me, every kid doesn't have that strength and they get no support from the community to develop that strength.

Lots of people in our communities feel as if they have to fend for themselves the best way they know how. They see no hope, no light at the end of the tunnel except the ones shining from the police cruiser. It's basically a mental struggle, when you've been told and semi-brainwashed all your life that you're nothing,you ain't gone be nothing, what else are you going to pass on to offsprings? As well I believe societal attitudes not only socialization plays a role in this as well, as a lot of societal attitudes are shaped and influenced by the media.
  • Hyde Parke
    Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    MeTaL wrote: »
    I feel you bro, as I have grown up having only had a mother around, and that I have not got a criminal record, I'm quite stable. I don't believe that this can be the only determining factor of a poor outcome in life. Lack of a structured family. It's what it all boils down to as well.

If it is one of the main causes of crime/deviance, as it obviously does have some effect on the upbringing of a child, then how do one propose fixing it? I think relationships and having children in a society that doesn't really care about the world we live in or where there is a poor quality of education, is the main cause of families ending up like this. There isn't nearly enough good quality education into sex and relationships, and the majority of information about these things come from different forms of media (television, music etc.).

On the other hand, cops cruise black neighborhoods looking for drug buys and sells all the time. Yet when they see a white person in a black neighborhood known for it's drug activity, they light up the person and tell them to get out of the neighborhood.Why? Why not wait for them to make their purchase or their sell and arrest them? Why not go to the suburb and ? down on those coming to the drug areas? There are tons of suburbanites who come to the urban drug neighborhoods to make their purchase or sells, why aren't they being targeted? Reason being is they protect their own.

There is a lot of resentment in black communities especially towards cops, some justified, some not. There are also a lot of kids in black neighborhoods who feel trapped by the negative activity going on. You either join it or are taken out by it. I was ridiculed a lot growing up because I didn't participate in the drugs (doing or selling), no gang affiliation, no underage drinking. I was strong enough not to let those things get to me, every kid doesn't have that strength and they get no support from the community to develop that strength.

Lots of people in our communities feel as if they have to fend for themselves the best way they know how. They see no hope, no light at the end of the tunnel except the ones shining from the police cruiser. It's basically a mental struggle, when you've been told and semi-brainwashed all your life that you're nothing,you ain't gone be nothing, what else are you going to pass on to offsprings? As well I believe societal attitudes not only socialization plays a role in this as well, as a lot of societal attitudes are shaped and influenced by the media.

Thats whats up. Single mothers take on alot, endure alot, have to play the role of the mother and father, keep the bills paid, and mouths fed, and also face all types of criticism(s). all that and she kept her child out of the "SYSTEM" has to be a great lady. Though im not a native to America, born in Haiti, I had both parents, growing up,even though my mother passed some years ago. my dad saw early on that i like to read and kept me educated on america's black history. the ku klux klans, the use of water hoses and dogs, the "colored" and non-colored" water fountains, the exit/back door was the entrance for blacks, no rights to vote, stepping to the side of the sidewalk to let a white person pass thru, the bus, the hangings, the lynchings, the beatings, the separation of the black family during slavery, church bombings, segregation. there is so much there, at such a young age, I could not understand why a human being would treat another human being in that manner, and through all of that, in this current day, it seems to be a forgotten thing, I cannot recall who said it, but the saying "WE GOT FREE AND THEN WE GOT HIGH" seems to be the current day reality.

I agree, the prevailing factor(s) are improper education, lack of awareness, and just an overall ignorance to ones culture/history.

The new racism is so systematically structured and designed in such a way as to appear as business as usual to the uneducated, untrained eye. Why is it so obvious of the overwhelming drug problem in white suburbia, yet their percentage numbers are so low? Yes the prison system has replaced slavery in so many covert ways. In the upcoming weeks I plan to do my part in bringing awareness.