IMO Big Boy Records>Cash Money and No Limit in the 90's

Options

Comments

• da_murderman281
    da_murderman281 Members Posts: 803 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Yo im bumpin that Drama time album right now this ? is underrated as ? this is makin my opinion more valid

I'm still not sure why big boy and cash money was beefing but i just cannot take cash money seriuos when they have some mumbling soft jello pudding ? over there and tongue kissing calling him daddy.
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I listened to every track Fiend's track was deep even tho the album cover is hilarious, G Slimm's track was a good kick back and chill type track, PNC went in on UNLV that hook was hilarious the Ghetto Twinz were ratchet as ? lmao and that last track had a nice dark vibe to it how do people seriously think Cash Money was better then Big Boy???
  • BlackAX410
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I'm still not sure why big boy and cash money was beefing but i just cannot take cash money seriuos when they have some mumbling soft jello pudding ? over there and tongue kissing calling him daddy.

I think the beef was cuz Yellaboy killed Mystikals sister and they was goin back and forth and both crews jumped in not 100% sure on that tho one of the New Orleans posters can clear that up
  • ratchet bity
    ratchet bity Members Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I think the beef was cuz Yellaboy killed Mystikals sister and they was goin back and forth and both crews jumped in not 100% sure on that tho one of the New Orleans posters can clear that up

naw one of them nevilles killed her cash money thought pnc was biting unlv
  • ratchet bity
    ratchet bity Members Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I listened to every track Fiend's track was deep even tho the album cover is hilarious, G Slimm's track was a good kick back and chill type track, PNC went in on UNLV that hook was hilarious the Ghetto Twinz were ratchet as ? lmao and that last track had a nice dark vibe to it how do people seriously think Cash Money was better then Big Boy???
    dont sleep on old cash money
  • G Mack
    G Mack Members Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    How did G-slimm die? and im confused was he gang affiliated

and i heard "Fours, Deuces & Trays" was like the chronic to the NO...the CD go no less then 700
  • JadaRoss
    JadaRoss Members Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Back in the day EVERYONE was a bounce artist, even Juvenile started out with "Bounce For The Juvenile," one of the earliest bounce records. Leading the way in the movement was one time music powerhouse Big Boy Records, who at one point rivaled Cash Money for popularity in the N.O. and even released Mystikal's first album. Signed to Big Boy were Misdemeanor and Kangol Slimm, two emcees collectively known as Partners N Crime. They were later joined by local sensation and fellow Big Boy artist Prime Time to complete what was arguably bounce's best group.

"PNC3" seems to be a PNC's last real bounce effort and contains some of the group's best songs. To the casual listener PNC might seem too ignorant or even simple to warrant anything more than a passing listen, the truth is that PNC WERE about being what some people consider ignorant and they were mainly concerned about having a good time but that doesn't detract from the quality of their music. With tracks titled "Pump Tha Party," "Give Me Some (Heroin Baby)," and "? N A Can" it is evident PNC represented an extreme lifestyle in the N.O., but it is this extremity that captured the essence of the atmosphere in N.O.'s projects.
  • JadaRoss
    edited April 2011
    Options
    mystikal-tpcvr.jpg
  • JadaRoss
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Big Boy Records was founded by Charles "Big Boy" Temple and the talented producer, Leroy "Precise" Edwards, who was responsible for most of the varied but always warm, solid and organic sounds. Others involved in the production were " David "D-Funk" Faulk and Brian "Big Bass" Gardner.

Big Boy's first signee was pioneering New Orleans ? Sporty T (Terence Vine). The Gentilly resident had previously been a founding member of The Ninja Crew -- New Orleans's first rap group to record. In the early '90s, inspired by hits by Juvenile and Everlasting Hitman's bounce hits, he moved in that direction as well. The label's first single was "Sporty Talkin' Sporty." Though bounce, it had an uncharacteristically heavy sound for the genre. After it sold 4,000 copies, Big Boy sought out more talent.

For several years in the '90s, before Master P moved to New Orleans and gobbled up most of the talent of the legendary Parkway Pumpin, Big Boy Records was one of the main creative and commercial rivals to uptown's fledgling Cash Money. Over the course of the next few years, they released some of New Orleans' indisputably finest (and under-recognized) bounce and rap music. They also got caught up in all-consuming rivalry with Cash Money that raged in ? -for-tat diss songs while at the same time many of their stars departed for bigger labels. When Cash Money and No Limit signed multi-million dollar deals with major labels, Big Boy floundered, only to be reborn years later on a smaller scale,

PNC.jpg
  • JadaRoss
    edited April 2011
    Options
    At an inital audition, young rapper Misdemeanor initially failed to impress Taylor. But when joined by his partner/childhood friend/17th ward neighbor, Kangol Slim, the duo, Partners-N-Crime, become the first group signed to the label. PNC had been friends with the Cash Money crew and their stars, UNLV, but were eager to diss them after being singled out and accused of jocking UNLV's style. Partners-N-Crime released PNC, which contained songs that fueled the Big Boy/Cash Money rivalry.

After recording their debut, Trespassing, for Hollygrove Records, Black Menace (J-Dawg, Threat and DJ Laz) came to Big Boy and released Really Doe. After its release, DJ Laz left.

Sporty T released his Jackin for Bounce '94 album. MVP released In the Projects. Silky released Bouncing in a 6-Tray.

mvp-in-tha-projects.jpg

sporty-t-jackin'for-bounce-'94.jpg

silky.jpg

g-slimm.jpg
  • JadaRoss
    edited April 2011
    Options
    pnc3.jpg

Mystikal.jpg

G-Slimm's West Coast-influenced Fours Deuces & Trays sold well. Partners-N-Crime released PNC 3 (with Prime Time as a full member). However, the label's first huge success came from a recently returned Gulf War veteran, Mystikal (Michael Ernest Tyler). The 12th Ward native had originally been with Parkway Pumpin as Mystikal Mike. Then he was poached by Big Boy, who released released "I'm Not That ? " and a self-titled debut which sold 300,000 copies. Apparently bolstered by this considerable windfall, Big Boy made most of their promotional videos in the wake.
  • JadaRoss
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Although seen as the cornerstone of the label, Sporty T left Big Boy, started his own label and released The Saga Continues. Nonetheless, 1995 proved to be one of Big Boy's most prolific years.

Black-Menace-SayDavid.jpeg

pump-the-party.jpeg

fiend.jpg

Surrounded_By_Criminals.jpg
  • JadaRoss
    edited April 2011
    Options
    black-menace-drama-time.jpg

Black Menace released "Say, David" and Drama Time. Partners-N-Crime's (featuring Prime Time) released Pump Tha Party (Puttin' In Work) with ""Pump Tha Party" making a second album appearance after finding success as a single. 17th Ward rapper Fiend released Won't Be Denied with the single "Baddest Muthafucka Alive." Two sisters, ex-drug dealers/ex-cons from the 9th Ward known as Ghetto Twinz (Tonya and Trementhia Jupiter to their mother) released Surrounded By Criminals. Mystikal became the second artist to leave Big Boy and signed with Jive Records, who re-released a slightly different version of his debut.

Although Sporty-T returned to Big Boy and released It's All Good, 1996 was a year of mass defections

Sporty-T-It's-All-Good.jpg

elate.jpg

insane.jpg
  • JadaRoss
    edited April 2011
    Options
    PNC and Drama Squad moved to South Coast Music Group. G-Slimm, on the cusp of signing a deal with Relativity, was shot and killed. The Ghetto Twiinz moved to Rap-A-Lot. Aside from Sporty T, the only noise coming from the label was from an R&B foursome, Elaté (who released their self-titled debut), and Insane, who released Camp 4 Life.

1997 was pretty much the end of Big Boy. Fiend left for No Limit. After Juvenile bragged in "Soulja Rags" that he was a "Big Boy headache giver," Chuck Temple ordered Sporty T to retaliate, resulting in argument at which resulted in Sporty T calling Baby, wanting to come to Cash Money.

sporty-t-street-soldier.jpg

j-dawg.jpg

184570549.jpeg

we-g's.jpg
  • JadaRoss
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Ultimately, Sporty T did end up recording a Cash Money-diss in which he offers Big Boy for a high price. His final release for the album is Sporty T's Street Soldier (Respect It Or Check It) featuring said track, "Juvi (You Ain't No Soldier);" it was his last for the label. J-Dawg released Smokin' & Rollin' and The Dawg House. Big Boy also released The Compilation Album -- We G's. After that, nothing more came from them for several years.

In 2001, Sporty T was shot five times in the back by an ex-girlfriend. Luckily, he lived. Tragically, he was less lucky in July 2008 when unknown AK-47-toting assailants killed him in his Gentilly FEMA trailer.

Big Boy 2.0
    In 2004/05, after years of silence, Big Boy returned with a slate of new releases including a Greatest Hits compilation, Da Block Burnaz's Overheated and Dangerfield's Dangerfield. Hardhead's Hardhead followed in 2005. In 2007, J-Dawg (now Jay Da Menace) returned with I Could Hold My Own.

Big-Boy-Greatest-Hits.jpg

da'-block-burnaz.jpg

dangerfield.jpg

hardhead-1.jpg
  • JadaRoss
    edited April 2011
    Options
    j-da-menace.jpg

While Big Boy may be just a footnote in southern rap history, they played an essential role in the ? south's rise. And while they may have lacked a signature sound, they did maintain, through all the drama, a high rate of consistency. Although their albums are rare, they're all worth checking out
  • JadaRoss
    edited April 2011
    Options
    bigboydisscmr_front.jpg

bigboydisscmr_back.jpg
  • JadaRoss
    edited April 2011
    Options
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I co-sign Big Boy being the best lyrically. This thread made me go look for my Cash Money/No Limit thread. DOne found out the ? got deleted during the lil hacker ? a few weeks ago
  • BlackAX410
    edited April 2011
    Options
    ptowndonte wrote: »
    I co-sign Big Boy being the best lyrically. This thread made me go look for my Cash Money/No Limit thread. DOne found out the ? got deleted during the lil hacker ? a few weeks ago

Thats some ? bruh that thread was hella informative didnt it make the front page too???
  • gunot_killa
    gunot_killa Members Posts: 1,330
    edited April 2011
    Options
    JadaRoss wrote: »
    bigboydisscmr_front.jpg

bigboydisscmr_back.jpg

Big boy wasn't to be ? with. They was like ill be damed if we gon sit here and let some in the closet homos diss us like that.
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Thats some ? bruh that thread was hella informative didnt it make the front page too???

Yeah it was on the front page
  • da_murderman281
    da_murderman281 Members Posts: 803 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Yeah it was on the front page

Yeah that thread was hella epic.
  • BigMeatball
    BigMeatball Members Posts: 390
    edited April 2011
    Options
    R.I.P. Sporty T, ? Daddy, & Magnolia Shorty
  • icame4wo
    icame4wo Members Posts: 1,597 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    All the work I put into that thread? This site sucks. How the other threads still up and not that one? smh