The King of R & B

Options
Biggwillie
Biggwillie Members Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2011 in R&B & Alternatives
This is open to debate but my vote goes with R. Kelly. Can anyone dethrone him?

Comments

• JadaRoss
    JadaRoss Members Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    nah i dont think anyone can dethrone R.Kelly right now
  • D.D.S.
    D.D.S. Members Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    the king of r&b

1989-1992: bobby brown
    1994-2004: r. kelly
    2004-present: usher
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    D.D.S. wrote: »
    the king of r&b

1989-1992: bobby brown
    1994-2004: r. kelly
    2004-present: usher

Ribs and Biscuits

Rkelly got this..

Usher fell of imo.. he makes NEWPOP.. he fell off after whatever song let it burn was on.. imo.. not to say he was completely trash but idk USHER

is on tha RKelly ? when he decided to make ? with rappers.. hes in that same type of decline/funk in my eyes..

None of these ? stayed consistent.. they always tried to cange some ? up.. and for the worst

But Rkelly has a undeniable staying power.. i couldnt tolerate him for a few years but hes back to biz
  • D.D.S.
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Ribs and Biscuits
    Rkelly got this..

Usher fell of imo.. he makes NEWPOP.. he fell off after whatever song let it burn was on.. imo.. not to say he was completely trash but idk USHER

is on tha RKelly ? when he decided to make ? with rappers.. hes in that same type of decline/funk in my eyes..

None of these ? stayed consistent.. they always tried to cange some ? up.. and for the worst

But Rkelly has a undeniable staying power.. i couldnt tolerate him for a few years but hes back to biz

lmao @ the jamie foxx reference. ppl 4got that bobby was runnin r&b in the late 80's, early 90s b4 whitney.
    i agree w/ u. usher is making pop music now. so i guess the throne is still up 4 grabs.
  • Biggwillie
    Biggwillie Members Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Usher is a valid name but after ? he put his bid in for the POP world. I aint knocking the hustle at all either. But Kelly's Love Letters was straight R & B from beginning to end. I dont think it got the credit it deserved.
  • Nthngis4vr
    Nthngis4vr Members Posts: 2,171 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    R. Kelly is that dude...
  • JadaRoss
    edited April 2011
    Options
    i want anybody to

make a best of your favorite artist against R.Kelly's and see who will win
  • harry knucklez
    harry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Whitney Houston was the one who called Bobby Brown the King Of R&B and she was on ? even back then.

He can have the King of Stage title though, cause Bobby was the bad muthafucka on stage back then.
  • D.D.S.
    edited April 2011
    Options
    JadaRoss wrote: »
    i want anybody to

make a best of your favorite artist against R.Kelly's and see who will win

props on the sig. that song is a ? classic.
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    This would've gone to R. Kelly, but he fell off commercially and musically. I haven't heard his latest album yet, so I can't comment. Usher has been killing R. Kelly since '01 though. I don't like Usher's new stuff, but Usher has pretty much ran R&B since 8701 especially in terms of sales.
  • playmaker88
    edited April 2011
    Options
    This would've gone to R. Kelly, but he fell off commercially and musically. I haven't heard his latest album yet, so I can't comment. Usher has been killing R. Kelly since '01 though. I don't like Usher's new stuff, but Usher has pretty much ran R&B since 8701 especially in terms of sales.

Sales never matter playa.. and there are a couple reasons rkelly doesnt sell more..

1 being his mess of a private life.. regarding.. ? teenagers....and two Usher makes music for a larger buying public.. he has a cross-over appeal that rkelly never had.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Biggwillie wrote: »
    Usher is a valid name but after ? he put his bid in for the POP world. I aint knocking the hustle at all either. But Kelly's Love Letters was straight R & B from beginning to end. I dont think it got the credit it deserved.

Usher had some good R&B songs on that album and some that didn't make the album....but you're right R. Kelly finally got his old ass out the club...I thought he was done when I heard that Superman High garbage w/ OJ da Juiceman last year
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Sales never matter playa.. and there are a couple reasons rkelly doesnt sell more..

1 being his mess of a private life.. regarding.. ? teenagers....and two Usher makes music for a larger buying public.. he has a cross-over appeal that rkelly never had.

R Kelly has written hits fpr some of the biggest pop acts around
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Robert Kelly even in semi-retirement ? on any pretender to the throne
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Robert Kelly even in semi-retirement ? on any pretender to the throne

That whole 'Trapped In The Closet' series is concrete proof why no one is touching R. Kelly. Just absolute pure genius
  • playmaker88
    edited April 2011
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    R Kelly has written hits fpr some of the biggest pop acts around

I know.

Im talking about himself as an act..
  • JadaRoss
    edited April 2011
    Options
    R.KELLY WILL ALWAYS BE THE BEST IN MAKING R&b I DONT KNOW ANYBODY TOUCHING DUDE RIGHT NOW
  • Blue Virgo
    Blue Virgo Members Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    Chris Brown?
    Craig David?
    Michael Jackson?
    D'Angelo?
    Babyface?
    Ne-Yo?
    John Legend?

No
    No
    Pop
    No
    Hmmm--not singing anymore
    Could be one day
    I wish. I love all of his albums....don't think he has enough cross-over appeal though.
  • playmaker88
    edited April 2011
    Options
    blue virgo wrote: »
    No
    No
    Pop
    No
    Hmmm--not singing anymore
    Could be one day
    I wish. I love all of his albums....don't think he has enough cross-over appeal though.

Its not about crossing over.. i jsut dont think he has that quality.. idk what it is.. but yeah hes great.. along with anthony hamilton

because no one on that list has cross over appeal..

and THATS GREAT

with the acception of michale but he didnt cross over.. they cross to him.. ya dig
  • Blue Virgo
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Its not about crossing over.. i jsut dont think he has that quality.. idk what it is.. but yeah hes great.. along with anthony hamilton

because no one on that list has cross over appeal..

and THATS GREAT

with the acception of michale but he didnt cross over.. they cross to him.. ya dig

Well I think that out of all the people on that list, the only 2 people with cross-over appeal are Chris Brown & Ne-Yo....they make music that everyone can listen to. Chris Brown has the "it-factor" but not the voice and Ne-Yo is kinda the opposite, imo. If only we could merge them somehow.....
  • Blue Virgo
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    Michael Jackson has done a lot of R&B joints

But he's the "King of Pop"
  • Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Disclaimer : R. Kelly Wins by default . To Much Material .

But IMO . I think Maxwell offers just as much musically if not more the Kells. Maxwell's has been consistent musically throughout his career. IS a better singer than Kells . May even offer you more musically as far as musicianship and instrumentation . Has the ability to tour with or without and album . Kells as has a part of his career where he sacrificed quality just to be hot . With "Love Letter: tho he did bring you that timeless element he can can give you. Also in the era where music sales suffer . Maxwell was able to take a hiates for 9 years and still sell out concerts and have number 1 albums and singles upon his return . He also offer you a element of music that Kells doesn't , and that the instrumentals . Not saying Kells isnt capable but he doesn't offer you that . But for arguments sake I just wanted to contribute to your thread
  • JadaRoss
    edited April 2011
    Options
  • Blue Virgo
    edited April 2011
    Options
    oooooh, Maxwell!!!
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options

R. Kelly's mess of a private life didn't stop the sales of Chocolate Factory. That album was huge. R. Kelly has also had his time where he was also making music for a larger buying public i.e. his song w/ Celine Dion.

Sales aside, the main reason why I could never say R. Kelly is the King of R&B because R. Kelly went through an entire period where he recycled songs ("Happy People", "Step In The Name of Love"), making mediocre music ("Snake", "I'm A Flirt". etc.).